Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

He's a bum. "Generational talent" my butt.

I'm totally not a disgruntled fantasy football owner. Nope not at all. /s

well, he would give us two generational talents!

Oh boy, to your championship fantasy team

I'd rather we look at players good at blocking. The offense already had guys that can catch.

I am 100% behind Howell this season, but there is no way that Rivera doesn't make a switch at QB if he keeps playing like Nathan Peterman.  I don't think he will, nor do I think the alternative (Brissett) is better.  But Rivera is going to try and save his job by any means necessary.  What isn't helping Howell is the same old same old play calling.  Why does the assistant head coach keep waiting for large deficits before giving Brian Robinson Jr. the ball?  The offense goes as he goes.  It's insanity to keep trying to throw when Howell is getting so much pressure.  Offensive line: another one that the assistant head coach should get a share of the blame for.  

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I am 100% behind Howell this season, but there is no way that Rivera doesn't make a switch at QB if he keeps playing like Nathan Peterman. 

That's about the only place where being a 5th rounder matters. Opportunity and leash.

High cost guys have that sunk cost fallacy to protect them. They can play like Sam Darnold... or rather still be Sam Darnold... and their team will run it back game after game and year over year.

Howell unfortunately does not get that safety net. He has to be a certain level of quality outta the box. He is not allowed to suck like other young QBs can and still be given the time to grow. Its not fair, but that's the NFL.

I thought Howell was Good=Bad in week 1, so he was OK.

He was great in week 2

He was bad in week 3

So that averages out to around OK so far. If he falls below that, you don't wanna stay in that territory too long. Then your giving space for your coach to have ideas.

12 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Howell unfortunately does not get that safety net. He has to be a certain level of quality outta the box. He is not allowed to suck like other young QBs can and still be given the time to grow. Its not fair, but that's the NFL.

He gets a much larger safety net because the QB behind him is not good.  

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

But your hatred of Brissett is 🤣.  The QB’s behind most every young starting QB aren’t that good, or else they’d be starters.

I don't hate Brissett and actually think he helps the team stay afloat if he had to start 2-3 games.  People were saying this team would have made the playoffs last year with Brissett as the starter.  

53 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I am 100% behind Howell this season, but there is no way that Rivera doesn't make a switch at QB if he keeps playing like Nathan Peterman.

If Ron is trying to get fired he would. He can't make the switch since that would be back to the whole retread again and repeating the past that hasn't worked for him or the team. He needs to prove to the new bosses Howell is the guy and needs more time with him. Howell will be his leverage to keep his job. Moreover, we also need to see Howell for all 17 games to make sure if he is the guy or not. 

3 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I don't hate Brissett and actually think he helps the team stay afloat if he had to start 2-3 games.  People were saying this team would have made the playoffs last year with Brissett as the starter.  

The team was close to making the playoffs running a scheme that went out of its way camouflage the QB position.  It’s not insane to think they could have mustered a game or two more with a slight uptick in the ability to pass the football.

We knew Howell would have a game like this. "Due theory," if you will... he's still effectively a rookie.

The inexcusable part is EB not scheming to prevent the shortcomings from being even shorter. He knew he had no O-Line and a rookie QB when he took the job. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, zCommander said:

If Ron is trying to get fired he would. He can't make the switch since that would be back to the whole retread again and repeating the past that hasn't worked for him or the team. He needs to prove to the new bosses Howell is the guy and needs more time with him. Howell will be his leverage to keep his job. Moreover, we also need to see Howell for all 17 games to make sure if he is the guy or not. 

I am not saying that I think this is going to happen, but hypothetically, if Howell comes out for the next 3 games and plays like he did against Buffalo it would be insane for Rivera to not make a switch.  He'd lose the locker room.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

I am 100% behind Howell this season, but there is no way that Rivera doesn't make a switch at QB if he keeps playing like Nathan Peterman.  I don't think he will, nor do I think the alternative (Brissett) is better.  But Rivera is going to try and save his job by any means necessary. 

Under normal circumstances, that might be the case, but this isn't one of those instances where he would risk doing so.  He made the decision to roll with a 5th Rounder, and make him the starting QB before OTA's.  Rivera screwed himself over by doing that horrible trade for Carson Wentz, and looking like a damn fool in playing Wentz with the season on the line.  It was one of the worst trades in the NFL last season, and it showed that Rivera has no idea what he's doing at that current position (among other positions like O-Line, but that's a different topic entirely).

This is Rivera's last chance to save his job.  He needs Howell to turn into a good QB fast, because his job depends on it.  He's done nothing else to justify Harris & Co. keeping him past this season, so he's going to try to stake his reputation on Howell, and hope that Howell turns into a franchise level QB.  If Howell fails, Rivera's gone.  Simple as that.  The moment he has to make a decision on whether or not to bench Howell, that's the end of Rivera in DC.  I would fire Ron, even if Howell has a good season, because of his neglect of the O-Line, and his lack of aggression with his FO moves, but his job status ultimately depends on Sam Howell.  Ron's backed himself into a corner, and there's very few options for him to get himself out of it, save a miraculous turnaround.

Edited by samy316

5 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The free agency singings are on him.  He had considerable influence in this years draft as well.  

You are going to need receipts for that.

Not just “it’s a group effort” quotes but legit receipts that puts the onus of this awful OL on EB.

It’s a perfect week for you to rally that EB is a trash OC, and that you knew all along he’s trash and everyone else here is stupid.  Yet you are now pinning the personnel on him instead.  Make it make sense.

• Thumb down 1

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not just “it’s a group effort” quotes but legit receipts that puts the onus of this awful OL on EB.

It’s a perfect week for you to rally that EB is a trash OC, and that you knew all along he’s trash and everyone else here is stupid.  Yet you are now pinning the personnel on him instead.  Make it make sense.

I am pro EB. Wylie is definitely on him and I would have to think Gates is at least partially on him - I doubt they would give him a center he didn’t want if this is a must win year.

The disappointing thing is that Gates has been a solid starting center and I bet he continues to be if he were to leave here. Talent isn’t great but it is also Sam, the playcalling and overall coaching. Losing a veteran coach like Matsko hurt. It’s a bummer those two weren’t a fit

3 minutes ago, method man said:

I am pro EB. Wylie is definitely on him and I would have to think Gates is at least partially on him - I doubt they would give him a center he didn’t want if this is a must win year.

The disappointing thing is that Gates has been a solid starting center and I bet he continues to be if he were to leave here. Talent isn’t great but it is also Sam, the playcalling and overall coaching. Losing a veteran coach like Matsko hurt. It’s a bummer those two weren’t a fit

If I ask you to prepare me a meal, and I give you a can of spray cheese, a jar of beets, some stale bread and then send you to Dollar General with 10 bucks to buy ingredients to round out the meal - I can’t pin the blame you when the meal tastes like crap.

35 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You are the king of posting nonsense that the original poster has never said anything remotely close to, as some sort of a "gotcha" post.  The 2 free agency signings were after Bieniemy, who has total autonomy on the offense was hired.  As I stated prior to your ridiculous attempt at a "gotcha", I said, quite clearly:

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Offensive line: another one that the assistant head coach should get a share of the blame for.  

Rivera gets a ton of blame, as he should.  So should the guy who was given free reign on the offense.  Rodriguez is here because Bieniemy "stood on the table" for him.  But yeah, you'll just write this off and misrepresent another one of my posts.  

https://richmond.com/sports/professional/commanders-draft-observations-blue-collar-class-shows-where-team-is-headed-this-year/article_d8f4c724-e6bb-11ed-82bb-937faafbbd7d.html

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/washington-commanders-eric-bieniemy-engaged-emphatic-draft-involvement-ron-rivera-offense

21 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

If I ask you to prepare me a meal, and I give you a can of spray cheese, a jar of beets, some stale bread and then send you to Dollar General with 10 bucks to buy ingredients to round out the meal - I can’t pin the blame you when the meal tastes like crap.

Curiously enough, this courtesy wasn't afforded to Scott Turner last year.

Edited by DJHJR86

24 minutes ago, method man said:

It isn't the fault of the guy who has total control of the offense.  He was just saddled with a bad roster and had no power to fix it despite that total autonomy thing.

I believe we should play every game close to the vest in the 1st half and put the pressure on the defense to keep us in the game. If I'm RR I'm sitting down JDR and EB and saying this: "EB, we are gonna run the ball about 75% of the time on offense in the 1st half and always on 1st down until I give the signal to open it up more. Whatever new run wrinkles you want to put in I'm OK with. Passes will be mostly screens and occasional fades or deep shots but we won't be dropping Sam back to pass conventionally very often if at all. Also, start working on rolling the kid out more so he can use his legs to protect himself."

"Jack, your defense is the strength of this team so you better start dialing up the pressure. We are gonna try and get to the 2nd half by wearing teams down and beating up their offensive lines. I'm bringing in a consultant to offer some ideas to you so you better keep an open mind. It's time for your unit to produce like we drafted them to. Your defense is responsible for keeping the game close so we can protect the kid QB from not having to play catch up. And EB, find a new 3rd down back who doesn't fumble, call Jaret Patterson back up here if you need to, at least he holds on to the ball and plays with heart."

"Now both of you get the hell out of here and send in Cheeseman."

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

You are the king of posting nonsense that the original poster has never said anything remotely close to, as some sort of a "gotcha" post.  The 2 free agency signings were after Bieniemy, who has total autonomy on the offense was hired.  As I stated prior to your ridiculous attempt at a "gotcha", I said, quite clearly:

You should change your screen name to Audacity.  🤣

Your entire posting history is performing drive-by gotcha’s about how “everyone” or “a bunch of people” said X, Y, or Z and were wrong.

On this very page you said and I quote:

“He was the guy who brought this Oline in”

and 

“The free agency signings are on him.  He had considerable influence on this years draft as well.”

And now you are claiming that because EB had conversations about players in the draft and has “total autonomy of the offense” that he’s responsible for the personnel.

He called an awful game.  You can get your rocks off hating on that.  But instead you now want him responsible for the entirety of an OL that was decimated and created largely by his bosses.  It’s just piling on for the sake of piling on.

14 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Curiously enough, this courtesy wasn't afforded to Scott Turner last year.

I gave Scott Turner more rope than most, for being saddled with Heinicke and turning poop into less stinky poop.  

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He called an awful game.  You can get your rocks off hating on that.  But instead you now want him responsible for the entirety of an OL that was decimated and created largely by his bosses.  It’s just piling on for the sake of piling on.

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

What isn't helping Howell is the same old same old play calling.  Why does the assistant head coach keep waiting for large deficits before giving Brian Robinson Jr. the ball?  The offense goes as he goes.  It's insanity to keep trying to throw when Howell is getting so much pressure.  Offensive line: another one that the assistant head coach should get a share of the blame for.  

No one is "pilling on for the sake of pilling on".  If anything, there is a considerable effort to downplay the responsibility of the offensive coordinator.  You know, he's just hopeless.  He was only given $10 to make a five course meal.  What could he possibly do?

Edited by DJHJR86