Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Draft Order/Tracker: Now Picking #11

zCommander

• 2 weeks later...
  • zCommander changed the title to 2022 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #10
4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It wouldn't be the first time a thread was hjacked.

I think it would be wise to see what happens on Monday night. In the past we have had playoff scenario threads. I am not the best one to do that though. 

If you know how to navigate the who and where and the what and the tie breaker and stuff then you are most welcome to start it. :)

On 11/26/2021 at 4:41 PM, Burgold said:

Is there a QB to miss this year?

Is there a can't miss QB this year?

There is a future HOF QB that comes out in the draft almost every year.  Just select that one and be done with it. And if this happens to be the year where there isn't one then don't draft a QB.  It's really pretty simple when you boil it down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, daveakl said:

There is a future HOF QB that comes out in the draft almost every year.  Just select that one and be done with it. And if this happens to be the year where there isn't one then don't draft a QB.  It's really pretty simple when you boil it down.

I don't know if that's the case. 2004 has possibly 2-3 HOF QBs, 2005 has Rodgers, but after that is barren.

2011 has Cam who had a good career, won an MVP, but not a HOFer

2012 was highly regarded, but other than Russ Wilson who is at best fringe HOF at this point none of em come close.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

• zCommander changed the title to 2022 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #19

We’re now at the place where QB becomes an after thought. Most of the guys available at 19 will be reaches I think. 

We need a free safety. It’s the single biggest immediate improvement we could make. Corner is next. I’d like a LT as well, but Leno is serviceable/solid.

Bellcow RB to pair with AG and JD would be nice.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Do you suggest the team lose games on purpose?

Nah, I don't actually enjoy losing games. But we're a completely mediocre team and we have been for years and without a top QB we'll continue to be a 7 or 8 win team most likely. That sort of record basically puts us in a spot to not be able to draft a top QB but with the added benefit of never actually winning anything of note. It's no-mans-land.

10 hours ago, bowhunter said:

Gonna promote a novel idea here. Perhaps we should try winning games on purpose next? Before you scoff, a few recent SB winning franchises have taken that approach.

Na that's crazy. We should tank so we can draft another edge rusher who gets his sack totals matched by a 7th rounder in two games.

• Like 1

I did some homework, and came up with some stats to back up the claims that I make all the time.  The claim that draft position has no bearing on landing a Super Bowl winning, franchise QB.  Free Agency began on March 1st, 1993.  In the 28 completed seasons since that time, the following people have been the winning QB in the Super Bowl.

For multiple Super Bowl wins, exactly (6) Quarterbacks have been able to do that (since the start of Free Agency). Here they are and their draft positions.

Troy Aikman (2) 1st Overall (1st SB win was pre-free agency)

John Elway (2) 1st Overall

Ben Roethlisberger (2) 11th Overall

Eli Manning (2) 1st Overall

Peyton Manning (2) 1st Overall

Tom Brady (7) 199th Overall

Now here are those that have only (1) Super Bowl Championship and their draft positions...

Steve Young – Supplemental Draft 1st Pick (Won Super Bowl with 3rd Team, 2nd NFL Team)

Brett Favre – 33rd Overall (Won Super Bowl with 2nd Team)

Kurt Warner – Undrafted (Won Super Bowl with 4th Team, 2nd NFL Team)

Trent Dilfer – 6th Overall (Won Super Bowl with 2nd Team, after 6 seasons with the team that drafted him)

Brad Johnson – 227th Overall (Won Super Bowl with 4th Team, 3rd NFL Team)

Drew Brees - 32nd Overall (Won Super Bowl with 2nd Team)

Aaron Rodgers – 24th Overall (Won Super Bowl with only team)

Joe Flacco – 18th Overall (Won Super Bowl with 1st team)

Russell Wilson – 75th Overall (Won Super Bowl with only team)

Patrick Mahomes – 10th Overall (Won Super Bowl with only team)

…and Nick Foles-88th Overall, 2nd stint with team that drafted him.

Only 4 QB's were taken 1st overall in the draft and won more than one Super Bowl in the free-agency era.  One guy who was taken 199th Overall has won 7.  The rest have won 1 each, with the highest draft position of those being 6th and the lowest being undrafted.  The guy who was 6th didn't even win with the team that drafted him. 

Of all those guys, only 4 of them were drafted 1st overall.  None were drafted 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th.  Most were drafted in the lower end of the 1st round or well below.  Several of those guys didn't even win with the team that had drafted them.    

Bottom Line, you don't need a very high draft pick to land a Super Bowl winning QB, nor does reality show that as even worthy of real consideration in winning a Super Bowl.  

So in essence, stop worrying about our draft position as it relates to a "franchise" QB and enjoy the games.

Edited by Painkiller
  • Like 3