Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Draft Order/Tracker: Now Picking #11

zCommander

25 minutes ago, daveakl said:

Counter argument. 

66% of the QBs to win multiple SBs were drafted 1st overall. 

Counter to the counter.

41% of the SBs won by multiple SB winning QBs were won by guys drafted after the 5th round!

Brady and his ridiculous career do crazy things to the stats.  Remove him from the equation, or count his wins in the players drafted outside of the first round and it gets even crazier.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

Brady and his ridiculous career do crazy things to the stats.  Remove him from the equation, or count his wins in the players drafted outside of the first round and it gets even crazier.  

Right?! Winning a SB is extremely hard. (It's like that in every sport though imo) So many things have to break your way.  

Could TH take us to a SB? Sure, you put an elite (or at lease elite for that season) defense with a strong O-Line and surround him with weapons and he could take you to the SB.  He also could lose 1st round in the playoffs if the other team gets up by 14 due to a muffed punt resulting in a short field TD and a bad pass interference call setting them up with a 1st and goal from the 5.

You put Aaron Rodgers on your team and you could be in the playoffs every year but have to play a playoff game on the road in Seattle where it's 33 degrees with a windy rain and impossible to throw the ball.

I guess my point is that I see what RR wants to do here.  Have a team with a really strong front 7 on D, a great O-Line, and a culture that has you in every game.  Most years you will be around 9-7 (or 9-8 now days).  Sometimes you will get the breaks and finish 11-6.  Sometimes the breaks will go against you and you will finish 7-10.  Set that table though and then put the ultra talented QB at the head and now your ceiling is 13-14 wins and the floor is 9-10.

Keep drafting talent.  Let them learn your system and your culture.  Sign guys like Carter and Leno that have something to prove.  Stay the course.

To borrow a phrase from the Carolina Hurricanes over the past few years when they lost a game or two in a row:  We. Are. Fine.

• Like 2

• zCommander changed the title to 2022 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #20
6 hours ago, Painkiller said:

Now here are those that have only (1) Super Bowl Championship and their draft positions...

Steve Young – Supplemental Draft 1st Pick (Won Super Bowl with 3rd Team, 2nd NFL Team)

Brett Favre – 33rd Overall (Won Super Bowl with 2nd Team)

Kurt Warner – Undrafted (Won Super Bowl with 4th Team, 2nd NFL Team)

Trent Dilfer – 6th Overall (Won Super Bowl with 2nd Team, after 6 seasons with the team that drafted him)

Brad Johnson – 227th Overall (Won Super Bowl with 4th Team, 3rd NFL Team)

Drew Brees - 32nd Overall (Won Super Bowl with 2nd Team)

Aaron Rodgers – 24th Overall (Won Super Bowl with only team)

Joe Flacco – 18th Overall (Won Super Bowl with 1st team)

Russell Wilson – 75th Overall (Won Super Bowl with only team)

Patrick Mahomes – 10th Overall (Won Super Bowl with only team)

As far as I can tell, you're either missing Nick Foles or Carson Wentz from this list, depending on your interpretation of winning quarterback.

15 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:

As far as I can tell, you're either missing Nick Foles or Carson Wentz from this list, depending on your interpretation of winning quarterback.

Yup I am missing Foles, I had accidentally added Brees twice and couldn’t remember the other one.  

Foles-88th Overall, 2nd stint with team that drafted him.

• zCommander changed the title to 2022 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #12
  • zCommander changed the title to 2022 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #10

I am not rooting for losses yet.  but if they lose to Dallas i will.  for me is you got a shot for the playoff do it but if its a meaningless win where playoffs is out of the picture, then the draft pick to me becomes more important.

In this draft in particular drafting 8-10 might be perfect.  It likely positions you to get the 2nd QB off the board or an elite level LB which arguably we need. 

1 hour ago, Florgon79 said:

All I know is we need to draft a Micah Parsons, not a Jamin Davis. I hope the scouts are putting in work because last years draft class is underwhelming. 

As we know easier to draft a freak talent like Parsons drafting early versus 19.  Cosmi looks like a really good pick.  St. Juste looked decent until his injuries.  Bates looks good. S. Toney for a 7th rounder looks good.  Most say if you could pull 3 players from a draft you did well.  Jamin's been underwhelming, Dyami too.  But they also happen to play the two spots that often take some time especially LB.  Jamin only had one year starting in college.

As far as freaks go at LB.  IMO you got two in this draft.  Nakobe Dean and Devin Lloyd.  No one really thought Jamin was a freak but in their defense not too many freaks fall to 19.

• Like 4

I didn’t expect a win last night but felt we had to win for any playoff chance.

I’m not for tanking as winning breeds a certain mentally.

for me the season is over and Ron and Co need to seriously decide who we want in the draft hopefully there’s a QB they love and make sure we get our man !!! (Or best player)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not rooting for losses yet.  but if they lose to Dallas i will.  for me is you got a shot for the playoff do it but if its a meaningless win where playoffs is out of the picture, then the draft pick to me becomes more important.

In this draft in particular drafting 8-10 might be perfect.  It likely positions you to get the 2nd QB off the board or an elite level LB which arguably we need. 

As we know easier to draft a freak talent like Parsons drafting early versus 19.  Cosmi looks like a really good pick.  St. Juste looked decent until his injuries.  Bates looks good. S. Toney for a 7th rounder looks good.  Most say if you could pull 3 players from a draft you did well.  Jamin's been underwhelming, Dyami too.  But they also happen to play the two spots that often take some time especially LB.  Jamin only had one year starting in college.

As far as freaks go at LB.  IMO you got two in this draft.  Nakobe Dean and Devin Lloyd.  No one really thought Jamin was a freak but in their defense not too many freaks fall to 19.

Agree with so much of this.  I really enjoy reading your posts, SIP - always well-thought out and nicely articulated. 

The bolded part above is the major problem I have with us having drafted Davis in the first last year.  (I have nothing against the guy, and he seems to be a good dude who is a student of the game and wants to hone his craft.  You gotta have guys like him.)  But you simply don't take a project like Jamin in the first round unless you truly believe he has all-pro potential.  I honestly can't recall any comments from the coaches that even hinted that they believe this to be the case.  They were desperate at LB, partly due to their own head-scratching decisions not to address the position in any meaningful way leading up to the draft, and took a guy who looked like he had a solid, promising future...one day.   There's a lot of talk about him realizing his potential and becoming a good, young player after another year or two.  You draft a guy like Jamin in the 3rd or 4th round, they're full of these kinds of players.  Another year or two for a first rounder?  I have a major problem with that kind of philosophy for anyone that's not a QB.  I see it as a wasted pick.  There were better players on the board that could help now and seem to have just as high a ceiling as Jamin.   This pick is haunting us.  For that pick to pan out, IMO, he's going to have to be darn near all-pro in a year or two.  I hope he is. 

Not much to say about Dyami except that he's been a complete no-show this year despite having much more opportunity than previously thought due to Curtis' ongoing injury situation.  For Dyami not to have asserted his presence in any way, shape or form this year is completely unacceptable even for a third rounder.  He's had time to show at least flashes of something positive but he hasn't done it.  At all.  And this guy was being touted as one of the steals of the draft.  We should be feeling much more positive about him than we are currently.  We lack playmakers in the worst way all over this team (and we have to have more firepower at WR : 17 pts. a game ain't gonna get it in today's NFL on a consistent basis) and absolutely need this guy to take a tangible step-up next year.  I'm hoping this is the case, and I'm not questioning this guys' heart, etc., but this is about as bad a rookie season as you can have.

IMHO, I believe this offseason is the make-or-break one for Ron and his FO.  We can easily cement our position in the NFC East basement if we don't significantly improve.  Dallas is lightyears more talented than us, the Giants have a ton of talent that isn't being maximized at the moment but have 2 first rounders to go with other high picks in following rounds, Philly has a whopping 3 first rounders and an Oline that is already rock solid.  It isn't going to take much to pass us.  

Ron and co. have a ton to accomplish this offseason, and just the way I see things, I'm not so sure what Ron is building at the moment.  I like Ron but certainly don't view him as some messiah as a HC, and I do believe he has been given way too much power.  I know why he was but I don't view him as worthy of it.  Precious few are TBH.  The team just seems to be spinning in the wind.  From my perspective - and perhaps I'm just not seeing it for some reason, there's no real discernible identity or direction to what they are doing.  The D and O coordinators share responsibility in this, too, and plenty has been said about them.  IF there is a direction, it seems to be trying to turn back the clock and build a team that would be successful pre-1995.   

I'm interested in what your take on that is.  Do you see a true direction with regard to identity, etc.?

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

The fact that there are ten teams worse than us tells you how big of a **** show the NFL is this year. Hot garbage.

I think it’s kind of been entertaining. No teams are running away with anything. Even the top teams have had losses where you realize any team can win on any given Sunday. There are almost always teams worse than us which is why we seem to find ourselves in the 2-10 draft range. If anything it seems to be the same song on repeat.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with this for the most part but I also am a bit conflicted because IMO this team is simply not a playoff team, and I wonder if them sneaking into the playoffs last year gave them a false sense of being better than they actually are and led to a bit of complacency (especially on defense).

Edited by mistertim

41 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I agree with this for the most part but I also am a bit conflicted because IMO this team is simply not a playoff team, and I wonder if them sneaking into the playoffs last year gave them a false sense of being better than they actually are and led to a bit of complacency (especially on defense).

I think their lousy start for the season won't be forgotten when they start next season so I am not worried about their psyche coming back.  I think they were sufficiently humbled.  Plus some evidence that the arrogance/bravado came from the D line.  Make the playoffs or not, I think its clear the pass rush underacheived this year.  Their 4 game winning streak came sans Sweat and Chase.