Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jack Del Rio: Another Bust In The Making.

skins island connection

• 1 year later...

Yea this is from awhile back, but Nostradamus is never wrong.

The Bears game has to be the nail in the coffin for Jack Del Taco.

At least now everyone knows why I call him this; because opposing offenses eat up his defenses like tacos.

Ineffective, not creative in schemes, has guys giving up huge cushions and still can't defend, and just flat out doesn't do a good job. Coaching involves teaching techniques, little tricks, and studying opponents for weaknesses and exploit them; he does none of this.

Bye bye Del Taco, don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya...

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

35 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Yea this is from awhile back, but Nostradamus is never wrong.

The Bears game has to be the nail in the coffin for Jack Del Taco.

At least now everyone knows why I call him this; because opposing offenses eat up his defenses like tacos.

Ineffective, not creative in schemes, has guys giving up huge cushions and still can't defend, and just flat out doesn't do a good job. Coaching involves teaching techniques, little tricks, and studying opponents for weaknesses and exploit them; he does none of this.

Bye bye Del Taco, don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya...

NO! He must stay with the team. If he’s fired, we’ll lose his name tie in with the team’s logo.😛😛

He’s a bum running an over rated defense. I’ve been over him for a while. He’s had a Riverboat of draft picks (see what I did there?) dumped into his side of the ball and the defense still pretty much sucks. Clearly this is Ron’s last season so mercifully, we should be rid of Del Taco at the end of the season. 

4 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Del Rio is another dinosaur like Rivera whose scheme is outdated and doesn't adjust.  He and Rivera are antiquated and don't belong in this league anymore.

I can't believe that I was upset that Rivera might be fired before the start of the season because of the new owner...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Simmsy said:

I can't believe that I was upset that Rivera might be fired before the start of the season because of the new owner...

The problem is that the sale took too long to finalize.  If it was done sooner, maybe Harris and Co. would've looked at the crappy body of work by Rivera and Co. and probably should've fired them and found someone younger and better

Here is an interesting list. We haven't had a lot of luck with DC's. I was surprised to see the win percentage for Joe Barry. We had three with over 60 % win percentage. I long for those days.

Washington Commanders defensive coordinator record

Coach Years Record Win percentage Playoff record
Jack Del Rio 2020-2023 24-30-1 44.5% 0-1
Greg Manusky 2017-2019 17-31-0 35.4% 0-0
Joe Barry 2015-2016 17-14-1 54.7% 0-1
Jim Haslett 2010-2014 28-52-0 35.0% 0-1
Greg Blache 2008-2009 12-20-0 37.5% 0-0
George Edwards 2003 5-11-0 31.3% 0-0
Marvin Lewis 2002 7-9-0 43.8% 0-0
Kurt Schottenheimer 2001 8-8-0 50.0% 0-0
Ray Rhodes 2000 8-8-0 50.0% 0-0
Mike Nolan 1997-1999 24-23-1 51.0% 1-1
Emmitt Thomas 1993-1994 7-25-0 21.9% 0-0
Larry Peccatiello 1983-1992 108-51-0 67.9% 12-5
Richie Petitbon 1981-1982 16-9-0 64.0% 4-0
Richard "Doc" Urich 1978-1980 24-24-0 50.0% 0-0
Torgy Torgeson 1971-1977 67-30-1 68.9% 2-5
Harland Svare 1969-1970 13-13-2 50.0% 0-0
Edited by RVAskins
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We need to keep Del Rio to ensure the tank

We still have Riverswamp Ron and Teamenemy !! What, no faith they can get the job done? { tanking-wise }

I can get with the notion of Forbes being young and exploitable, but the LBers are slow moving, like molasses, take poor angles and at times are dead still

on the field because their view of the play is passing them by and they're petrified.

Del Taco was an average at best LBer, just his name was glorified because he played with that drug-ladened team in Texas { north Texas for the geographically minded }.

The game today is speed speed speed, and some brute. The d-line can be one of if not the best in the league with the right scheming, but that would involve DelTaco 

actually watching game film instead of spritzing his hair with Vitalis. The corners who know when to be physical on the LOS are taught that way; they recognize certain plays

and have a good feel for whats coming and can adjust. Techniques and skill-polishing are lacking and the finger points to you know who...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RVAskins said:

Here is an interesting list. We haven't had a lot of luck with DC's. I was surprised to see the win percentage for Joe Barry. We had three with over 60 % win percentage. I long for those days.

Washington Commanders defensive coordinator record

Coach Years Record Win percentage Playoff record
Jack Del Rio 2020-2023 24-30-1 44.5% 0-1
Greg Manusky 2017-2019 17-31-0 35.4% 0-0
Joe Barry 2015-2016 17-14-1 54.7% 0-1
Jim Haslett 2010-2014 28-52-0 35.0% 0-1
Greg Blache 2008-2009 12-20-0 37.5% 0-0
George Edwards 2003 5-11-0 31.3% 0-0
Marvin Lewis 2002 7-9-0 43.8% 0-0
Kurt Schottenheimer 2001 8-8-0 50.0% 0-0
Ray Rhodes 2000 8-8-0 50.0% 0-0
Mike Nolan 1997-1999 24-23-1 51.0% 1-1
Emmitt Thomas 1993-1994 7-25-0 21.9% 0-0
Larry Peccatiello 1983-1992 108-51-0 67.9% 12-5
Richie Petitbon 1981-1982 16-9-0 64.0% 4-0
Richard "Doc" Urich 1978-1980 24-24-0 50.0% 0-0
Torgy Torgeson 1971-1977 67-30-1 68.9% 2-5
Harland Svare 1969-1970 13-13-2 50.0% 0-0

Where's Gregggggg? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Where's Gregggggg? 

Good point. He coached 2004 - 2007.

Seq Finish G   W  L      T  PCT
2004 Washington Redskins (NFL) National East Assistant Head Coach/Defense   4     16        6      10      0  .375
2005 Washington Redskins (NFL) National East Assistant Head Coach/Defense   2 16     10 6 0 .625
2006 Washington Redskins (NFL) National East Assistant Head Coach/Defense   4 16      5 11 0 .313
2007 Washington Redskins (NFL) National East Assistant Head Coach/Defense   3 16 9 7 0 .563
  • Like 1

Justin Fields told the world how to beat us, not that OCs didn't already know. Fields said it post game: our DBs are easily burned on double moves and they couldn't wait to receive the opening kick and get to work. This is unprecedented in the defer era!  Burn us deep drive 1? drive 2 JDR runs the exact same D to get burned again. JDR has them playing SO consistently off the line they are in a vulnerable position to start and he not masking it either to confuse QBs.  DBs move up post snap or are flat footed as the WR come at them full speed. When they move up on the first move to get stops pick 6 baby Fields goes over the top on them. Or they easily shed the Forbes tackle.

What kills me was on full display. Bears D aggressive all day vs our OL and WRs - blitzing all game long (except 2 prevent drives to start the 2nd half) yet our WRs were blanketed deep. JDR didn't blitz and Bears WRs were consistently open deep. We got lucky Fields missed Mooney a few times deep or they'd put up 50+.  Its not about our weak vulnerable OL, or young turnover prone QB being blitzed.Their offense has those same issues. It was a body bag game for Chicago including their DBs who did great. Our all star DBs looked like a bunch of boobies. 

JDR has his back 7 lined up presnap in a static shell no deception while at the same time asking them to create turnovers. He is using all players on D terribly, never tossing them a bone and letting them just play football.  Anytime a LB is anywhere near the LOS, he'll be coming on a delayed blitz - QBs know this. Has a blitzer gotten a single sack this year??  I won't talk about getting gashed in the run game today. They were running on 3rd and longs...

The fact his out of the box D to starts seasons gets gashed every year, is proof he is terrible. Wastes all that offseason time teaching **** schemes he ditches in October every year. Don't get me started on any input he may have on draft day or with FA signings. 

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Thumb up 2

Not that I am trying to make an excuse for our Dline but one of the reasons they don't go all out is because they need to cover for the running QB and the middle of the field because our LB's just aren't any good.  Our entire secondary has been trash, for as long as I can remember.  We can't fix the LB situation. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 11:01 PM, NoCalMike said:

Being able to successfully play man coverage is a game changer in today's NFL.  Zone defense is just about impossible to execute without a very good pass rush.  

The problem with man to man in today's game is QBs leave the pocket and have so much more room to run as the defender's backs are turned. We see that all the time, the QB runs for a first down on 3rd and 9 and it's a back breaker for the defense.  

1 hour ago, skinsmania123 said:

Not that I am trying to make an excuse for our Dline but one of the reasons they don't go all out is because they need to cover for the running QB and the middle of the field because our LB's just aren't any good.  Our entire secondary has been trash, for as long as I can remember.  We can't fix the LB situation. 

That looked to be the case in the previous game where they appeared to purposely holding their ground to prevent Hurts from taking off. Thursday they appeared to be trying to get to Fields and rarely got close, that is far more concerning to me especially given the quality of that OL.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

It may be time for some personnel changes. Hudson deserves a shot to start. Barton is no sacred cow. Forbes needs to sit for a few games to get his mind right and we should let DJ be the nickel with BSJ and Fuller on the outside

4 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

And the reason for that, is because we draft like crap. Not only we need a new GM with some talent, we need a much better scouting department. The previous owner was too cheap to invest in that. I hope that changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

That looked to be the case in the previous game where they appeared to purposely holding their ground to prevent Hurts from taking off. Thursday they appeared to be trying to get to Fields and rarely got close, that is far more concerning to me especially given the quality of that OL.  

I just look at the lack of sacks and watch how the defensive ends try to contain running QB's like Fields and Hurts, by trying to contain the edges, and force these running QB's towards the middle of the field. If they rush hard, I have noticed more times than not, the QB gets out of the pocket and a big play occurs.  I just think if we HAD good LB's they would be the ones coming up on say a Fields or Hurts as he gets out of the pocket OR assist on the pass rush or blitz.  I am not 100% sure Del Rio fully trusts the D.

2 hours ago, method man said:

It may be time for some personnel changes. Hudson deserves a shot to start. Barton is no sacred cow. Forbes needs to sit for a few games to get his mind right and we should let DJ be the nickel with BSJ and Fuller on the outside

Yeah, because it is evident to me that Del Rio does not trust this D overall, and would you trust your secondary at this point? Even if he did help put it together it is not working.  And I agree about Forbes, but they also have to let him get his lumps so he improves. I am not giving up on him yet, and as others have pointed out, he may need a certain scheme to be effective.

On 10/6/2023 at 8:15 AM, Warhead36 said:

We need to keep Del Rio to ensure the tank

Tank for what? A qb?

Ya'll trippin...

Edit:  Seriously, lets rewind the tape here...

We had the #2 overall pick in the draft 95% of ES was 100% we had to take Young, including our HC.  Fast Forward to today and I'm not sure even half the board even wants him here any more, nor we pick up his last year option.

Rewind back to last draft, we pick Forbes then Gonzales goes the next pick.  Fast forward to today and rookie looks like a rookie playing the position of toothpick while Gonzales looks like a veteran already.

Ya'll see a pattern here?  It's not about getting high picks, a tank won't save us here.  We need a reloaded scouting department and front office where the HC isn't in charge of the GM, needs to be other way around, at minimum.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2