Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jack Del Rio: Another Bust In The Making.

skins island connection

On 11/2/2023 at 4:27 AM, RandyHolt said:

Are the schemes JDR uses commonly used league wide? Is the 2nd & 3rd LB basically gone from the league; are Will or Sam now orphans?  JDR seems to try to be cutting edge in countering the pass happy league but I don't know if he is copying what others do in small doses, or more leading the charge to reinvent modern defenses. How many DC's use as much zone match man as he does?  Our corners on paper seem like they should be able to meet reasonable expectations but don't. Strength in the backfield seems like its our safety's but I don't see them making enough plays to warrant their next fat contract. Failing the eye test only because I dont see them. More just eating space not able to make plays on the ball.

Speaking very generally but watching other teams including against us, other teams have far more players on the LOS or in the box. More than showing aggression at the LOS they are attacking more often, Another big one to me again compared to other teams, when we do blitz its not very many, and late. Mike Barton sure seemed much farther off the LOS presnap than other teams. Easy read for QBs knowing its no blitz or 1 delayed.

It seems hybrid types are pivotal to his scheme but struggles to find one and use them. Quan. Landon Collins. Su'a "that 1 play" Cravens. Jamin seems to still be carving out a clear role that he fits his strengths. Targeting Will Jackson and not being able to use him was a huge red flag of JDR not knowing good players for his scheme. Never heard of having to trade a top free agent corner mid season and eat his contract to have a viable D.

It’s certainly tough to lump all defensive play calls into "a scheme" so am looking at big picture easy to see things, especially since backend talk is non existent on Sundays. I do know DCs shift from more man <--> more zone week to week but our man seems zone match which seems different than most e.g far less press. Something is exposing our backend and may include our DBs not used to their collective strengths.

IMO it’s not so much scheme as philosophy, play calling and putting people in positions to be successful.

JDR relied too much on his front four getting pressure - not creative enough in scheming pressures. Meanwhile what we are doing with coverage too often does not fit with what we are doing up front. 

Then we draft a light corner high who excels in zone coverage and put him in man against physical receivers.

Its a mess and falls squarely on coaching.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-washington-commanders-defense-jack-del-rio-2023#:~:text=The defense leans on zone,man-heavy team each season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MartinC said:

IMO it’s not so much scheme as philosophy, play calling and putting people in positions to be successful.

JDR relied too much on his front four getting pressure - not creative enough in scheming pressures. Meanwhile what we are doing with coverage too often does not fit with what we are doing up front. 

Then we draft a light corner high who excels in zone coverage and put him in man against physical receivers.

Its a mess and falls squarely on coaching.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-washington-commanders-defense-jack-del-rio-2023#:~:text=The defense leans on zone,man-heavy team each season.

I bet this changes this week. Our defense will probably look really good this week.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I bet this changes this week. Our defense will probably look really good this week.

If you can’t look good against this Pats O without their top couple of receivers (who weren’t good to start with) not sure when you can look good. 

But I know what you mean.

• Like 2

Interim coaches almost never get hired when the season is over and I don't remember a time when one took a demotion back to coordinator when another coach was hired.   Sooooo....

What would people think if Antonio Pierce was hired as DC here next year. Schotferbrains called him one of the smartest players he ever had, and in subsequent years Pierce played for Marv, Gregg W, and Spags, so he is likely to have learned leadership from Marv, and attacking strategies from GW and Spags. I hate the Raiduhs so I have no idea how good/bad their D is this year...just throwing it out there.

• Thumb up 1

It was a weak O, but it was a good game by the D. Not the pressure you want from the edge.

You had the long run where Davis was late on the scissor A gap blitz, or whatever it's called, and it's coached that you can't be. Davis is much better but still has a few of those a game. 

Short field following the fumble was another TD. 

Need a RE and a MLB.

Overall D is rounding into form, but they always start slow with JDR. They were on the field too much for the first half of the season. Not enough turnovers. 

I was listening to Paulson on the take command podcast.  

They talked a lot about how tricky this matchup is, because while the Seahawks are putrid on third down, they are good with explosive plays, and we give up a lot.

Also DJ Metcalf vs. Forbes is a disaster waiting to happen.

Both said they didn’t love this matchup and Jack was going to have to be careful.

I expect a 50-burger now.

14 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I was listening to Paulson on the take command podcast.  

They talked a lot about how tricky this matchup is, because while the Seahawks are putrid on third down, they are good with explosive plays, and we give up a lot.

Also DJ Metcalf vs. Forbes is a disaster waiting to happen.

Both said they didn’t love this matchup and Jack was going to have to be careful.

I expect a 50-burger now.

It’s not just DK.  Tyler Lockett & JSN are very good, very capable WR’s.  Lockett is probably the most underrated, under-appreciated WR in the NFL.  Our secondary is going to have a REALLY bad day at the office, if we can’t get Geno outside of the pocket.  I agree that our defense might give up 40+, if we’re not absolutely stout today.  We’re going to have to score, and score quite often for us to have a chance in this game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We have to blitz this week to have a chance. Geno will hold onto the ball to try to make a big play and if we give him time he will. 

According to pro football reference, the Washington Commanders are 13th overall( out of 32) in blitz percentage, at 25.8 percent.

Honestly, I’m actually shocked, because the eye ball test from watching games, appears predominantly that JDR rushes 4 and drops 7 constantly( which I suppose statistically has some validity- since 75 percent of the time, he opts not to blitz).

Before looking up the actual statistics, I was sure the Commanders were near the bottom, league wide, in terms of blitzing. Apparently that’s not quite the case. 

But also indicates the current trend of NFL defensive philosophy. Teams are blitzing less, and favoring having as many possible players in coverage. 

Just now, D’Pablo said:

So it wasn't Chase or Montez. As per usual it's miscommunication and bad form in our secondary. And that falls on coaching, specifically Jack's consistently bad coaching.

His creativity on defense is truly pop warner level.  Earlier in that last drive he had 6 guys on the line and I thought “surely he’s making them guess where the rush is coming and then he will drop one off”.  Nope he rushed all 6 with Juste in man to man with no help. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Capsman said:

His creativity on defense is truly pop warner level.  Earlier in that last drive he had 6 guys on the line and I thought “surely he’s making them guess where the rush is coming and then he will drop one off”.  Nope he rushed all 6 with Juste in man to man with no help. 

Yep. There is no creativity or innovation from Del Rio. And it just seems way too easy to decipher what our defense is doing. 

I have no doubt we have some scrubs out there, but the scheme also sucks.

• Thumb up 1

I cannot WAIT until DelTaco is gone. Send him packing, let him take up Underwater Basket Weaving for all I care.

Promote from within for the remainder of the season and when a good defensive coaching prospect pops up, GET HIM, don't sit on their hands like the former regime did.

The defense is lacking good players in a few spots but nothing that can't be managed through scheme. StJuste is young, he'll progress, but in this game he took a number of poor angles which cost him, especially when he could have boxed his receiver against the sideline, but its a teachable thing, he just needs a teacher who knows what they're doing.

• Thumb up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today's game with Dallas was yet another reminder of the lack of teaching this turd is doing.

The bland version of Tampa 2 with slow LBers and safeties who can't read a WR's motion was a recipe for disaster. 

I'm really hoping the next DC has a 4-6 defense with different looks; of course the LBers now have to go since they are slower than the USPS.

DING DONG THE WITH IS DEAD! About time this guy was shown the door, and we all know it wasn't Rivera's call, it was Harris'.

A step in the right direction; show the team that the owners do care which should pick up the morale but the job isn't over.

next up:

1. Ron Rivera

2. Eric Bienemy

3. O-line coach

4. LB coach

5. Anyone on the staff who is related to any of these clowns

6. Scouting dept. ALL of them.

• Like 1