Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jack Del Rio: Another Bust In The Making.

skins island connection

It is 2021, 3rd game into the season, and the WFT defensively looks pretty bad. 

3rd downs are all but an afterthought to opposing offenses, seemingly constant soft zone in the backfield, and QBs seem to almost smile when 3rd down comes up. Why? Because they are completing a very high % rate against this defense, led by none other than Jack Del Rio.

Jack Del Rio, a journeyman in the coaching/asst. coaching carousel, out of football completely for 3 years until he was tabbed as the defensive coordinator for the WFT.  Were the pickings really THAT bad ?

The blame does in fact go further than who I am now referring to as Del Taco;  because offenses are eating him up. But there is also blame in the assistants in coaching.

1. Chris Harris  DB  coach  6yrs.

2. Richard Rodgers asst. DB coach  8 yrs.

3. Steve Russ LB coach 2 yrs.

4. Brent Vieselmeyer  asst. DB coach  4 yrs. 

5.  And a few other "relatives" who needed a job.

If I had to pick one from the list above, Steve Russ is probably the biggest failure of all. The LBers look lost on the field, some run around in open space not covering anyone, others actually stand 2 yds to the side of a waiting would-be ball catcher, but will not move a muscle UNTIL the ball catcher gets the ball, THEN " oh he's got the ball, I should go tackle him". 

It is extremely frustrating to see how far down the defense is now compared to last season. But this is what Del Taco does best! Takes a highly ranked defense and makes them bottom 5 defensive groups. He's done this on the number of teams he's been on, and after he was out of football for 3 years { I believe } the bright idea to bring his unchanging, zone-happy self to the WFT to showcase his work. 

I wish it would get better, but if you are getting your hopes up, do yourself a favor and grab the tequila bottle; this is Jim Haslett 2.0, here to lay waste and create frustration amongst players and fans alike. Are good assistants hard to find? Yes and no, if you know where to look. Del Taco is a " one-trick pony " whose game planning is based off of the same old plays run in the past. This is why teams have game films, to see who /what are the players/ plays to worry about and how to stop them, to innovate, adjust, fake out, and the OCs and DCs can devise a scheme or even a couple plays that will be successful against their opponents. 

Last year the defense was ranked 4th in the league, today they are 24th, and THAT was before today's blowout, so you can probably rest assured it will drop down a few more notches.  

Players look out of place, confused, and do not have the ability to recognize whats transpiring on the field. This has been happening in every game this year, and the blame falls at Del Taco's feet.  What Ron Rivera sees in him has me baffled; maybe a lack of options?  This organization does seem to have a problem of waiting too long until all of the good coordinators have been swooped up, but when does it end? 

There are a number of good players on this defense, no question about it, but there are some who are head scratchers. The so-called assistants' job is to educate them, guide them, make them work with the other aspects of the defense and the team in general to be a complete functioning unit, but this is not happening. Once again, the problem falls at Del Taco's feet. 

There's a reason Del Taco was not in the coaching business for 3 years before coming here, and every single fan is finding out why, the hard way...

SIC

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Florgon79 said:

If he can’t fix it by the bye week he should be **** canned.

Probably wouldn’t fire him during the season….as that won’t fix anything. But if he can’t fix it in the next few weeks I’m already interviewing for his position. He has way too much talent and investment on his side of the ball for MY STARTING FANTASY DEFENSE TO GIVE ME -10 POINTS. Gah damn. 

But also he’s not doing good. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Probably wouldn’t fire him during the season….as that won’t fix anything. But if he can’t fix it in the next few weeks I’m already interviewing for his position. He has way too much talent and investment on his side of the ball for MY STARTING FANTASY DEFENSE TO GIVE ME -10 POINTS. Gah damn. 

You should like... drop the defense and just solely look at matchups. Just figure out what average defense is playing a terrible offense. 

Like teams playing us for example would be a solid choice. I got a ton of fantasy points by doing this against us in 2011. Just started whoever played our trash offense. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

Just now, Llevron said:

It won’t fix anything but it also can’t hurt anything. Clear the way for someone new. Also I hate his face right now and don’t want to see him on the sideline.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

This is so ****ing stupid. He's been a top 10 DC for what? 20 Years? 

And Chris Harris gets talk as a hot HC candidate.

Sure, all of a sudden one of the best DCs in the league somehow forgot? No. He doesn't run a unique system that got figured out like Buddy Ryan. 

One could argue he doesn't run a unique system at all lol

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

One could argue he doesn't run a unique system at all lol

He doesn't. It's a simple system. They picked on Bostic and Fuller. Often.

You see Barber had a 100 yard day?

Almost like we should have kept him instead of listening to Chase.

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He doesn't. It's a simple system. They picked on Bostic and Fuller. Often.

You see Barber had a 100 yard day?

Almost like we should have kept him instead of listening to Chase.

I should be happy for Barber but that's just... so depressing lol. Players never seem to figure anything out here. 

• Like 1

Just now, Burgundy Yoda said:

I should be happy for Barber but that's just... so depressing lol. Players never seem to figure anything out here. 

I thought we were changing things fundamentally on this team. I'm convinced we're losing because of bull**** and drama and I wouldn't even be shocked if the water park injury wasn't an escape.  

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I thought we were changing things fundamentally on this team. I'm convinced we're losing because of bull**** and drama and I wouldn't even be shocked if the water park injury wasn't an escape.  

I dont even want to think about stuff like this because I've convinced myself things have changed as well. 

There are definitely issues on the defensive side of the ball. All offseason long we talked about wanting to play more tight press man, and we commit to that by signing William Jackson, who by all counts was one of if not the best man to man CB available in FA but someone who struggled playing zone. And we drafted Ben St. Juste who has the physicality and measurables to be a solid at least man to man CB(and in fairness has played okay when playing man). But then we're constantly reverting to playing soft zone in big downs and situations. The guys on D want to make plays, want to play aggressively, but the schemes don't seem to fit that. So who is responsible for that?

I won't get into the vaccine stuff. That's an issue that could plague every team. I mean Kirk Cousins refuses to get vaxxed but he's putting up MVP caliber #s and none of his teammates seem to give an F. This is a performance based business, nobody cares otherwise.

Just now, Burgundy Yoda said:

I dont even want to think about stuff like this because I've convinced myself things have changed as well. 

It crept in this week. It's legit the only reason I can think we're this bad. 

Payne and Allen BLEW through the line every play in the first half and it was like we had no DEs. There is bull**** happening. They were bringing in SWK pretty often too. 

Just now, Warhead36 said:

There are definitely issues on the defensive side of the ball. All offseason long we talked about wanting to play more tight press man, and we commit to that by signing William Jackson, who by all counts was one of if not the best man to man CB available in FA but someone who struggled playing zone. And we drafted Ben St. Juste who has the physicality and measurables to be a solid at least man to man CB(and in fairness has played okay when playing man). But then we're constantly reverting to playing soft zone in big downs and situations. The guys on D want to make plays, want to play aggressively, but the schemes don't seem to fit that. So who is responsible for that?

I won't get into the vaccine stuff. That's an issue that could plague every team. I mean Kirk Cousins refuses to get vaxxed but he's putting up MVP caliber #s and none of his teammates seem to give an F. This is a performance based business, nobody cares otherwise.

Kirk didn't get hardcore called out and isolated by his head coach and connected to cancer.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

It crept in this week. It's legit the only reason I can think we're this bad. 

Payne and Allen BLEW through the line every play in the first half and it was like we had no DEs. There is bull**** happening. They were bringing in SWK pretty often too. 

Young's conditioning seems poor. He's constantly taking himself out of the game. And in the 4th quarter he seems winded.

Sweat I have no idea. I think he read too much into his press clippings. He's nowhere close to an elite DE. I'd happily include him in any package for a franchise QB and not blink an eye.

• Like 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Young's conditioning seems poor. He's constantly taking himself out of the game. And in the 4th quarter he seems winded.

Sweat I have no idea. I think he read too much into his press clippings. He's nowhere close to an elite DE. I'd happily include him in any package for a franchise QB and not blink an eye.

They trained together and I agree. I suggested that Sweat is going to be the guy who we let go this offseason and I got jumped lol. They are not in football shape. That's it.

I’m kinda tired of all the blame going to the coaches and the overrated/overhyped players get to hide and skirt by.

no more. 

everybody on that defense is human trash can right now. I don’t really care how high they got drafted or how much money they make. All trash. Even the #leaders that give Captain serious interviews after every ass kicking. Even the ones with cute blond dreads and cute little commercials. Even the ones that went to ALABAMA!! Roll tide!!! Yay!!!

They haven’t accomplished Jack **** in this league. At least Del Rio has documented history of being good at some point. Most of these ****ers have at best 7 games of “good” play. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Rivera deserves blame too. Not upgrading the LB position was seen by many as surprising to say the least. Replacing KPL with a rookie was not enough.

Agree 100%. You had an entire offseason to address LB. They were horrible last year and drafting a 1st rounder while keeping the same trash is unforgivable.

• Like 2