Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jack Del Rio: Another Bust In The Making.

skins island connection

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its just mind boggling how it keeps happening. I mean I'd love a concrete answer but there just isn't one.

Players are no good. Our Safeties are not good enough, our linebackers are not good enough. That’s 4-5 players every defensive snap that just flat out don’t belong in this league as starters. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I wanted blood after the Bills game and Del Rio was in my target.  Since that time, I’m leaning more towards this being simply a talent void.

I’m curious though who makes the call on Collins starting.  Is this dictated by Rivera or is Jack really believing he’s the best there?

Its more or less Haslett 2.0.

Guys playing 10+ yds off the LOS, no wonder the front line can't get enough pressure. If they would start pressing the WRs/TEs on the line it would at least disrupt timing which would give the DL a chance. The few times they do blitz, guys are playing soft zone. That is scheme, and that is on the coaches. 

• Like 2

Yeah it makes no sense to call soft zones on plays where we blitz. Logically you should play tight press man to jam the receivers and disrupt the timing to buy your rush that extra half a second to get there. Its almost like we have two different defenses being called: one play for the coverage and one for the front.

• Like 3

IMO, it's combination of a bad personnel and bad scheme.  Opposing offenses know how to attack the zone defense being deployed, but they also know that the players communication between the players on this team is horrendously bad.  If Del Rio is gone, it won't come until the offseason since Rivera is loyal to a fault. 

3 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

IMO, it's combination of a bad personnel and bad scheme.  Opposing offenses know how to attack the zone defense being deployed, but they also know that the players communication between the players on this team is horrendously bad.  If Del Rio is gone, it won't come until the offseason since Rivera is loyal to a fault. 

A change won't be made at least until they can find someone else who has been out of football for a few years. 

And more than likely it will be some old washed up guy playing checkers in the park...

I think most people saw this coming but deep down were hoping something would finally get better; thanks again, Snyder,  SELL THE TEAM!

47 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Its gonna piss a lot of people off when we are  sitting at 4-8 and JDR unleashes blitzes and actually gets the defense playing well. Playing not to lose will cause you to lose. 

Well, we’re 5th in blitz percentage right now.  Hard to see that increasing much.

Blitzing is pointless. Our LBs and Safeties are too slow hitting the line. Also they're too unimaginative. Blitzing is more than just rushing a bunch of guys at the QB. You gotta be creative. Send guys from different angles. Disguise things. Stuff like that. Our blitzes are just six guys running into a brick wall.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, D’Pablo said:

We’re missing starters at DE, S, LB (x2), and CB. I don’t blame the coaches in this one game. We were set up to fail in this game.

The D was down on talent, but they rolled over and played dead. There was no way they'd win this matchup, i'd have just liked to see more life from them and that's on the coaches.

9 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Yea, I bumped this, for obvious reasons. 

Losing a game is one thing, but this defense is playing reactionary defense, and thats not going to win any games.

There are issues on offense as well, but this thread is only for Jack DelTaco, the only DC i've seen who consistently gets eaten by offenses.

It's taken me a while, SIC, but I finally agree with you regarding Del Rio.

Three drives in a row, Dak rolled right and hit a wide open player for a TD, the third one was a ****ing lineman FFS.

Where were the in-game adjustments? We never try to disrupt receivers at the line and just play some kind of soft zone and get picked apart for 10-15 yards a pop in a death-by-a-thousand-cuts, bend-and-then-break style of defense. (Yes, the angrier I get, the more hyphens I use 😀)

We conceded 56-points yesterday and dallas took their foot off the gas in the third quarter, they could have easily scored 70 if they had wanted to.

Sack the bum today, let Sam Mills, Rivera, or Jennifer King do the job for the final two games. Does anyone think that they would do worse?

58 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

The D was down on talent, but they rolled over and played dead. There was no way they'd win this matchup, i'd have just liked to see more life from them and that's on the coaches.

We literally had guys off the street starting. I'm not sure what more the coaches can do. Nobody can turn water into wine.

Jack Del Rio has a bad core belief about this defense that is gonna hurt us.

He recognized at start of year that the secondary was week and the front 4 was strong.  So he had a core belief that he had to stop the big play.  He could rush 4 straight up (No stunts, little blitzing) drop more into coverage to help the bad secondary and that would work.  It didn't. Because a basic 4 man rush wasnt getting pressure and almost any NFL QB, given enough time, will find someone open in a zone. 

Then Sweat got hurt and Collins moved to Linebacker and really wanted to blitz.  So he said F it -Lets start blitzing more and try to put pressure on them.  It worked.  We gave up more big plays (Which is the risk) but less long time consuming drives.  We were blitzing and running stunts and while our coverage still stunk, the plan was to not give the QB enough time to go past his 1st or 2nd read.  Overall it, it worked. 

Then Covid hit, he had guys who had hardly ever practiced with the team, more backups, etc.  So as a result -He went back to his CORE belief that he must stop the big play at all costs.   So once again he started to just do the most basic 4 man rush. It is almost a prevent defense.  Drop all these guys back, soft zone, rush 4 straight up.  That was the defense 90% of the game last night.  

It is a BAD core belief.  Giving up big plays suck.  And I understand that fear. BUt what are you worried about? That a team will drop 56 points on you?

Even with guys right off the practice squad -He should be sending the house.  The more you drop back the more time the QB has, the more he will find a open receiver and do a long drive and eventually, someone will miss a coverage or fall down and the big play will happen anyway.

If you send everyone more often then not you will rush the QB, force him to get rid of it. YES -You will sometimes give up the big play.  But even that, with a team full of backups and recovering covid players, that is OK.  At least then the D gets to go rest and the offense can take the field again. 

Here is the issue -Coaches do not change core beliefs.   They may change players and schemes even. But a core belief is different. If his core belief is that its better to give the QB time vs giving up the big play - That will never change. 

Edited by TMK9973
  • Like 3

But I don't think that's a Del Rio issue. ALL DCs in today's NFL tend to be playing it safer. The NFL is just so offense happy. Yeah it's easy to say "blitz all out every play" but you look across the league, a lot more teams tend to play it safer and try to be bend but don't break, unless they just have insane talent mismatches at certain key spots(like Dallas's front vs our banged up OL the last two games).

I just posted about Del Rio supporting his release. He has very little creativity, which is common in the NFL on D. Seems like all the innovation over the past couple decades came on offense.

I think NFL defenses need to look to baseball and some deeper analytics. I watch these antiquated NFL zones leave players in space week after week with nobody in their zone and essentially wasted usage of players. None more so than LBs.

I really feel if a bright mind looked at current offenses and created 'defensive shifts' (analogous to baseball) for down and distance scenarios there seriously would be utility. I personally wouldn't commit 1 player to a 'zone' from this day forward. Everything would be man with a switch to rover roles mid play. Essentially, man coverages with multiple releases and minimum 5 man rushes 80% of snaps (5th rusher with draw/screen/run blitz responsibility).

Any play where you see a guy 'covering' his zone with nobody in it should make any DC question how can we prevent that from happening again.

Edited by Bonez3

2 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

I just posted about Del Rio supporting his release. He has very little creativity, which is common in the NFL on D. Seems like all the innovation over the past couple decades came on offense.

I dunno. Seems there has been a fair amount of creativity in pressure schemes and positionless players. I remember KDawg and others envisioning Young playing all along the line to take advantage of mismatches. Didn't happen. Though I do remember Del Rio sending Young into coverage.

To his credit, Del Rio was willing to employ the Bufallo nickel which salvaged Collins' career. To his discredit, he either can't communicate his ideas leading to massive blown coverages or his lack of creativity makes it really for opposing offenses to exploit our weaknesses.

4 hours ago, ntotoro said:

They can at least turn it into Ripple... 🤣

I'd settle for strong tea.

12 hours ago, London Kev said:

It's taken me a while, SIC, but I finally agree with you regarding Del Rio.

Three drives in a row, Dak rolled right and hit a wide open player for a TD, the third one was a ****ing lineman FFS.

Where were the in-game adjustments? We never try to disrupt receivers at the line and just play some kind of soft zone and get picked apart for 10-15 yards a pop in a death-by-a-thousand-cuts, bend-and-then-break style of defense. (Yes, the angrier I get, the more hyphens I use 😀)

We conceded 56-points yesterday and dallas took their foot off the gas in the third quarter, they could have easily scored 70 if they had wanted to.

Sack the bum today, let Sam Mills, Rivera, or Jennifer King do the job for the final two games. Does anyone think that they would do worse?

C'mon in, the water is nice !

Isee it week after week; a TE or WR will run to a spot and literally stop, and there are 2 LBers close, but none of them even bother trying to get in the passing lanes UNTIL the ball is caught, THEN they tackle{ or try to tackle } him. 

And yes I get it, the league is offensively favored, but for every WR going out for a pass there's a DB or safety who should have an opportunity to defend or even pick off the ball. How many times have we seen absolutely W I D E open WRs with no defenders within 10 yds of him? Too many times. Players are clueless to their responsibilities, they stare at each other as the WR streaks by catching a TD pass. LBers standing flat-footed, not knowing where to go or what to do, and not pass protection type LBers either, more run support LBers. 

Its almost like this team needs to run a defense like Rivera ran when he was playing, the 4-6, but to do that they need coaching, and he sucks at his job; just like Haslett, just like Barry.