Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jack Del Rio: Another Bust In The Making.

skins island connection

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pete Carroll seems to be having a lot of success with Geno Smith. Wilson is trash without Carroll.

Well that's again going to happen occasionally too.  But there are far more examples of coaches have totally different results without their great QBs than there are Geno Smith and Mark Rypien.  

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Well that's again going to happen occasionally too.  But there are far more examples of coaches have totally different results without their great QBs than there are Geno Smith and Mark Rypien.  

I think they're both really important and having a great one of either, can sway a deficiency. Was Jimmy G and now Purdy amazing? Alex smith was on two dominant teams. Tebow was pretty good for a bit.

Does Mahomes look as good as he does without Andy? He made stars out of McNabb and Smith. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

There was a reason nobody agreed with you.  Joe Gibbs was the aberration, his success was also last seen over 30 years ago. We saw when he returned that he could no longer make average QBs into Super Bowl QBs.  All you have to do is look at the current examples with Sean Payton and BB to see what happens when they no longer have a great QB.  There are countless more examples of that, there is only one example like Joe Gibbs and none in today's NFL.  

Kyle Shannon. Made Matt Ryan a MVP. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pete Carroll seems to be having a lot of success with Geno Smith. Wilson is trash without Carroll.

To be fair, Wilson was trash the last year with Carroll. However, some of us were excusing him because of his injury. Myself included.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think they're both really important and having a great one of either, can sway a deficiency. Was Jimmy G and now Purdy amazing? Alex smith was on two dominant teams. Tebow was pretty good for a bit.

Does Mahomes look as good as he does without Andy? He made stars out of McNabb and Smith. 

It seems Andy can make anyone look good. McNabb and Nick Foles. Although, it can be argued that he’s probably the most brilliant football coach of the last 2 decades.

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

There was a reason nobody agreed with you.  Joe Gibbs was the aberration, his success was also last seen over 30 years ago. We saw when he returned that he could no longer make average QBs into Super Bowl QBs.  All you have to do is look at the current examples with Sean Payton and BB to see what happens when they no longer have a great QB.  There are countless more examples of that, there is only one example like Joe Gibbs and none in today's NFL.  

Maybe you didn't read into it the way I intended or I didn't explain it well enough, but we're in agreement; coaches today come across a top-notch prospect that fits his ideals and runs with it, but as soon as another QB takes helm the turnout isn't good. 

Players aren't born with NFL -level skills, they're taught, so if you get a coach who has a good set of WRs and then lands a top prospect like a Mahomes then the coach looks brilliant. 

In the last 20 or so years there has been very very few HCs who have had success with different QBs over time.

You stated it was the coach who made the QB great, not the other way around.  I'm simply saying it is more on the player  It should be clear now that the only reason Sean Payton was so well regarded was because he had Drew Brees, there are many more examples.. If it was all coaching Joe Gibbs would have made Jason Campbell into a great QB.  I do believe certain players are born with NFL level skills, it's then up to the coach to maximize those skills. 

Obviously being a young QB in SF is a much better situation than being a young QB in Washington.  But the same coaches who developed Brock Purdy couldn't turn Trey Lance into a star, or even a viable starter, because Trey Lance does not have NFL level skills and apparently Brock Purdy does.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

Ok everybody do your job and focus.... JDR sucks and it will be on full display again today.  I hope the arrogance of the do your job sign pissed off Harris. At the root of it is of course JDR because EB is still in audition stage, RR is just a media guy at this point, and our defense drowning in draft capital is terrible to start a season once again.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2023 at 1:56 PM, Conn said:

Haven’t really seen any indication that anyone on the defense cares to the degree that they’d request a trade, they’ve never lived up to their group potential.  They’ve gotten very good at losing enough to be at best mediocre. Allen is the only guy it even seems to phase. The whole roster has to know that the new owner will make changes, anyways. I wouldn’t worry about having to trade any player on this roster, but I would worry even less about them demanding it. 

Well, looks like Allen DOES want to be traded. Now i'm curious as to who else wants to be traded but just hasn't voiced their demands like Allen, but if they get blown out today by the Eagles then I think there will be something just shy of a total mutiny on defense.

I'd much rather see the injury-prone Chase Young going rather than Allen, but we all know who is responsible for this and today has to be the day it happens.

44 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Well, looks like Allen DOES want to be traded. Now i'm curious as to who else wants to be traded but just hasn't voiced their demands like Allen, but if they get blown out today by the Eagles then I think there will be something just shy of a total mutiny on defense.

I'd much rather see the injury-prone Chase Young going rather than Allen, but we all know who is responsible for this and today has to be the day it happens.

Are you seeing reports that Allen asked to be traded? I haven’t seen that anywhere, just one report that teams inquired about him. 

edit: yeah that glazer thing pre-game wasn’t a direct report that Allen wants out. More of an inference based on Allen’s post-game frustration last week and the locker room losing faith in the current regime. Sweat/Young still seem to be the only guys we’re taking calls on. 

Edited by Conn

56 minutes ago, Conn said:

Are you seeing reports that Allen asked to be traded? I haven’t seen that anywhere, just one report that teams inquired about him. 

edit: yeah that glazer thing pre-game wasn’t a direct report that Allen wants out. More of an inference based on Allen’s post-game frustration last week and the locker room losing faith in the current regime. Sweat/Young still seem to be the only guys we’re taking calls on. 

I dunno, to me it sure sounded as if Allen stated he wanted out, I could be wrong, I hope I am because Allen is one of those guys you really don't want to give away.

Sweat i'd like to keep just for his performance but Young is too injury-prone, and I suspect the FO wants him to be as healthy as possible for trade bait.

Young isn't actually playing today is he?

Accepting failure and trading away 2 first round under performing DEs on a DL built to dominate falls squarely on JDRs shoulders.

Ron made sure his buddy got all the toys he wanted, including top draft picks and free agents. No more honeymoons. Our D is on pace to be the worst ever in team history. JDR can no longer blame a 3 and out offense.

The gift giving is over, its time for gifs, Josh.

image.gif.dff3368509b612bb3c083a349657fba3.gif

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

4 man rush in lanes quarters zone match man and no blitzing giving up 30+ per game while not getting fired makes Jack a happy boy.

4 man rush in lanes quarters zone match man and no blitzing giving up 30+ per game while not getting fired makes Jack a happy boy.

Its gonna be a long cold winter waiting for the coaching snow shoes to drop

image.gif.f764a9478e7652125f911d3f04feab5a.gif

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

When I see the thread title I think Bust=Canton and find it odd. I mean, he's had a solid career, but a bust in canton? 

OMG, seriously?  

You see Jack Del Rio's name and 'bust' in the same sentence and THATS the direction your mind goes?  

The saying is " puff puff GIVE ", for obvious reasons...😜

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcST3CQbfM1t8TjSbc_VFH7

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

OMG, seriously?  

You see Jack Del Rio's name and 'bust' in the same sentence and THATS the direction your mind goes?  

I believe it’s “puff puff pass”. At least that’s what other people told me 

22 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

OMG, seriously?  

He's no Jim Schwartz or Buddy Ryan, but he's had an awesome career and his defenses are usually one of the leagues better ones.

• Like 4

Are the schemes JDR uses commonly used league wide? Is the 2nd & 3rd LB basically gone from the league; are Will or Sam now orphans?  JDR seems to try to be cutting edge in countering the pass happy league but I don't know if he is copying what others do in small doses, or more leading the charge to reinvent modern defenses. How many DC's use as much zone match man as he does?  Our corners on paper seem like they should be able to meet reasonable expectations but don't. Strength in the backfield seems like its our safety's but I don't see them making enough plays to warrant their next fat contract. Failing the eye test only because I dont see them. More just eating space not able to make plays on the ball.

Speaking very generally but watching other teams including against us, other teams have far more players on the LOS or in the box. More than showing aggression at the LOS they are attacking more often, Another big one to me again compared to other teams, when we do blitz its not very many, and late. Mike Barton sure seemed much farther off the LOS presnap than other teams. Easy read for QBs knowing its no blitz or 1 delayed.

It seems hybrid types are pivotal to his scheme but struggles to find one and use them. Quan. Landon Collins. Su'a "that 1 play" Cravens. Jamin seems to still be carving out a clear role that he fits his strengths. Targeting Will Jackson and not being able to use him was a huge red flag of JDR not knowing good players for his scheme. Never heard of having to trade a top free agent corner mid season and eat his contract to have a viable D.

Its certainly tough to lump all defensive play calls into "a scheme" so am looking at big picture easy to see things, especially since backend talk is non existent on Sundays. I do know DCs shift from more man <--> more zone week to week but our man seems zone match which seems different than most e.g far less press. Something is exposing our backend and may include our DBs not used to their collective strengths.

Edited by RandyHolt

On 10/14/2023 at 1:18 PM, Fan since a Fetus said:

To be fair, Wilson was trash the last year with Carroll. However, some of us were excusing him because of his injury. Myself included.

It seems Andy can make anyone look good. McNabb and Nick Foles. Although, it can be argued that he’s probably the most brilliant football coach of the last 2 decades.

Foles SB was under Doug Peterson, though I guess he looked good enough under Reid to dump McNabb. I never thought McNabb looked good, but he had the most underrated and dangerous RB in Westbrook. 

Wilson's decline surprised me for sure.

Kyle Shanahan actually made Schaub look good for a year, and he was atrocious afterwards.

Edited by Riggo-toni
  • Thumb up 2