Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - The Blue (not green) NY Football Team at Washington Football Team

TK
Message added by TK,

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

7 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

And I’m saying, who are you to say he “didn’t deserve” that second chance? If the defense makes a boneheaded penalty, those are the rules, one untimed down, regardless of the field goal the first time not being good. The referees aren’t going to just huddle together and say “eh, that field goal was awful, so we’ll let the boneheaded penalty slide, no 2nd chance for him”

again, to claim he “didn’t deserve” that second chance, when the rules clearly call for one untimed down if a defensive penalty occurs, is silly, and you know it. 

That woosh sound you keep hearing is my point going over your head.  I never once implied the penalty shouldn't been assessed.  The point remains he missed the game winner and got damn lucky that the Giants guy was offsides. This really isn't that difficult.

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

That woosh sound you keep hearing is my point going over your head.  I never once implied they shouldn't take a penalty. The point remains he missed the game winner and got damn lucky that the Giants guy was offsides. This really isn't that difficult.

you said he “didn’t deserve” a 2nd chance (even though the giants made a boneheaded penalty) all because he missed the first game winning FG. That’s silly logic and you know it. So i guess you think every kicker who misses a game winning field goal doesn’t deserve a 2nd chance even if the opponent made a stupid penalty. 

who the **** cares if they got lucky, rules are rules are rules, just because he missed the first game winning FG doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve another chance even though a boneheaded penalty happened. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

Sigh. Maybe you are right, but I have always been an optimist. When I see a glass that is filled to the half-way line, it is always half full to me. To others who are not as optimistic, it is half empty. Then to yet a subset of the pessimistic group, they point out that if there was just one micrometer less water, the glass would be clearly more than half empty and likely approaching complete emptiness. I just have a hard time understanding what drives someone to make a point of the flaws and what could have been when a QB has the kind of game TH had last night.

It’s the nature of the beast on a message board like this, there’s only so much virtual high-fiving to go around before people start breaking down the minutia of the game that they don’t have anyone in “real life” to talk to about. We come here to dig into the details that no one else cares about and pick all the nits lol

• Like 2

There was nothing satisfying about that win. That’s not a win you feel good about…. It’s just one you take because any win is good.

And starting 0-2 with both losses at home, losing to the Giants…. Meant this season was already over.

But the second signs are already there. It may as well be over. This team stinks. Hopkins is going to blow games…. and this defence is hopeless.

But pass pro last night was legit. Taylor enjoyed a lot of time in the pocket. The running game was adequate. The play calling was uninspiring. Dyami Brown doesn’t look ready.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Deserve" is an odd word to use for this kind of situation.  It's like saying a kicker deserves to miss one kick since he'd already made 3 others that game.  Or that deserves to to get a second chance because he's a strict vegan.

I think the only thing one can say is that Hopkins should be very grateful for the second chance -- and per Hopkin's presser, it's clear that he really was.  I think every player on the Washington Football Team was.  (And It makes no sense trying to decide which of them actually "deserved" Washington having a second chance for the winning kick.)

• Like 1

I think this is the first tape I have seen from Taylor where he was not absolutely living on throws utilizing broken mechanics.

I could not count the number of passes off his back foot, jump passes, sidearm throws, push passes and more in his previous outings both real and preseason.

While having the ability to do those things is nice, they can not make up half of your throws as they were.

That was the biggest takeaway I took from the QB from the game. Hopefully that trend continues. Reliable and consistent throwing motions is key.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

@Darrell Green Fan @Cooleyfan1993

You guys are arguing over semantics right now. Did Hop deserve to a do over on the penalty? Of course. Should you expect boneheaded penalties to bail you out? Of course not.

Hop has not been great, but has not been terrible either. Lifetime he is at exactly 84%. Last year was his worst year, at 79.4%, not good in today's NFL. You can do better, but Hop isn't bad.

Edited by Morneblade
  • Like 2

I don't get why people are so pessimistic about this win.   First of all, it was a division game.  So throw out any other experiences with other teams out the window.   It does not matter your record with Division games,  they always are toss ups.   I think this team needs a few more weeks for the Defense to find it's groove again.   Then everything else will fall into place.  

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

I don't get why people are so pessimistic about this win.   

Because the defense cant stop anyone on 3rd down and failed to generate much pressure for all the second half against one of the worst O'lines in the NFL. Until/unless that changes future wins will be few and far between.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Because the defense cant stop anyone on 3rd down and failed to generate much pressure for all the second half against one of the worst O'lines in the NFL. Until/unless that changes future wins will be few and far between.

I think the pessimism is in assuming the defense won't get any better. This is who they are, who they will be pretty much all season long. So the team won't be winning very many games.

I don't buy that for a nanosecond.

After beating the Eagles in the opener last year, the defense gave up 30+ points in each of the next 4 games. But nobody uses those first 5 games as the barometer for how they viewed the defense this year. So--on a surface level anyway--this same defense may end up being judged on how it finishes far more than how it started...just like last year. We know the talent we have on the defense and we've seen it in action...we expected them to play better than this because we "know" they ARE better than this. Which, to me anyway, means they'll break out of their funk and start playing the way we expected.

I'm optimistic about the rest of the season.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I think the pessimism is in assuming the defense won't get any better. This is who they are, who they will be pretty much all season long. So the team won't be winning very many games.

After beating the Eagles in the opener last year, the defense gave up 30+ points in each of the next 4 games. But nobody uses those first 5 games as the barometer for how they viewed the defense this year. So--on a surface level anyway--this same defense may end up being judged on how it finishes far more than how it started. We know the talent we have on the defense and we've seen it in action...we expected them to play better than this because we "know" they ARE better than this. Which, to me anyway, means they'll break out of their funk and start playing the way we expected.

Count me in this camp too.   We know these players don't suck....they are just in a funk right now and they have plenty of season left to break out of it too.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

After beating the Eagles in the opener last year, the defense gave up 30+ points in each of the next 4 games. But nobody uses those first 5 games as the barometer for how they viewed the defense this year. So--on a surface level anyway--this same defense may end up being judged on how it finishes far more than how it started...just like last year. We know the talent we have on the defense and we've seen it in action...we expected them to play better than this because we "know" they ARE better than this. Which, to me anyway, means they'll break out of their funk and start playing the way we expected.

No, the defense is doomed. Clearly the lynchpin to their success last year was Ronald Darby. The one that got away 😭

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I know you’re joking, but I believe he landed on IR after the first game.

I do admit after watching the secondary get cooked two weeks in a row, I found myself thinking last night "man... maybe we really shouldn't have let Darby walk". Lol

18 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

After beating the Eagles in the opener last year, the defense gave up 30+ points in each of the next 4 games. But nobody uses those first 5 games as the barometer for how they viewed the defense this year. So--on a surface level anyway--this same defense may end up being judged on how it finishes far more than how it started...just like last year. We know the talent we have on the defense and we've seen it in action...we expected them to play better than this because we "know" they ARE better than this. Which, to me anyway, means they'll break out of their funk and start playing the way we expected.

Two rookies in key positions (especially Jamin Davis), a few brand new FAs, etc. There's a whole new learning curve happening that will hamper on-field communication for at least half the season but I agree it will come around.

However, that d-line not getting through is concerning. I also wonder if maybe another veteran LB is necessary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

For me, the pessimism is that we can think, hope, pray for whatever we want, but if the team plays like this the rest of the season this may be our only win. 

Now do I really think they are that bad? No. Way too much talent. However, until they show me something different I really do not have anything else to go on and thus have to remain pessimistic. 

My hope is they have 10 days to look at film and see what they are doing wrong and for each person to commit to fix their issues. And then come out against Buf and put it on the field. I don't expect us to win that game, even if the D palys lights out. And even if Taylor plays his heart out again, which there is no reason to think he will not. But let's face it, that Buf team is seriously talented and they have a very good QB. Don't get me wrong, I will be rooting hard for us to win. In fact I will state here a win, in any kind of fashion could mean the turning point in our season when that FG went through the goal post. 

It's just so frustrating to watch such a good D - at least on paper - made to look like they could not beat a college team. If there is one small positive on D - it's that when they had to after that pick, they held them a FG and got the ball right back. Now NYs play calling was more than suspect but that's not our problem. 

Been burned too many times by this team to not be a bit pessimistic. But I am ever hopeful they will figure it out and play better. They almost have to. But until they do I will remain concerned. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, srtman04 said:

I don't get why people are so pessimistic about this win.   First of all, it was a division game.  So throw out any other experiences with other teams out the window.   It does not matter your record with Division games,  they always are toss ups.   I think this team needs a few more weeks for the Defense to find it's groove again.   Then everything else will fall into place.  

You have seen the schedule? If it takes a few more weeks for the defense to find its grove; the season will be over.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ODU AGGIE said:

Sigh. Maybe you are right, but I have always been an optimist. When I see a glass that is filled to the half-way line, it is always half full to me. To others who are not as optimistic, it is half empty. Then to yet a subset of the pessimistic group, they point out that if there was just one micrometer less water, the glass would be clearly more than half empty and likely approaching complete emptiness. I just have a hard time understanding what drives someone to make a point of the flaws and what could have been when a QB has the kind of game TH had last night.

You keep believing OA!  He's making believers out of a lot of us who haven't followed his college career.  He could very well be the Kurt Warner fairy tale story redux.  😉

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

This was as much of a must-win game 2 as they come. Exciting back and forth game where we came out on top, I couldn’t be happier; especially on prime time vs the giants where our track record is dog ****.

ive been a heinecke guy, love that he’s getting his shot and that he stepped up. Big games don’t fold him, ****ing love it. 

but the defense… my god. I knew we weren’t the top 5 d that we were being touted as, but we’re playing like a barely average unit. This is unacceptable. Our front 4 is really letting us down. This isn’t a teachable issue, this is a talent issue. two games now where we can’t beat below average OLs, this is very concerning.

bills next week… something better change on that side of the ball right quick or this will be an ugly one.

2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

you said he “didn’t deserve” a 2nd chance (even though the giants made a boneheaded penalty) all because he missed the first game winning FG. That’s silly logic and you know it. So i guess you think every kicker who misses a game winning field goal doesn’t deserve a 2nd chance even if the opponent made a stupid penalty. 

who the **** cares if they got lucky, rules are rules are rules, just because he missed the first game winning FG doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve another chance even though a boneheaded penalty happened. 

If you still don't get my point after all of this you are never going to get it.

Next.  

1 hour ago, Hdf561 said:

It was actually an exciting game, which is usually what happens when 2 bad teams play. 

glad Washington won, but I don’t hold out a lot of hope barely beating the Giants. 

and Hopkins is still trash 

Yeah I was surprised at how entertaining, and at times well played, that game was.  The 2 play drive were two great plays, especially the TD pass. I was expecting a really ugly game on national TV.

But this win does kind of feel underwhelming. Face it, we got really lucky at the end. Against a downright bad team at home.  The upcoming games should be very concerning from a defensive standpoint, just WTF is wrong with this defense and specifically the DL (excluding Allen)?  

On the bright side I don't know how we can expect more from Taylor. Gibson is showing that he can be a prime back, like everyone else I was screaming last night for more carries.  The nation got to see our start TM play a big game.  There were positives, and of course we beat Mara and the freaking Giants.  

• Like 1