Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Chargers at Team

TK
Message added by TK,

871587837_ScreenShot2021-09-11at3_15_04PM.thumb.png.f4e1de31ee5daec0f4bc8301947a1c67.png

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Typically a 2-gap scheme is employed by an odd front defense. The nose and one end would play 2-gaps instead of one. So to do that, the DL has to play much less aggressively. They are read and react. To make up for it, the odd front defenses are typically fairly aggressive with their pressure packages and schemes.

If we really ARE a 2-gap defense we are telling our defensive line (probably both tackles and not so much the ends) that they have to read and react. Thus taking some aggressiveness out of them. They are responsible for two gaps on any given play. So if the ball goes to either one and they read wrong and play the wrong one, it's on them.

But what that also means is that our backers, if not blitzed, are not playing run first and getting themselves down hill. They are slow to get downhill because they have to ensure it's run.

Again with a 2-gap you generally play aggressive man-to-man and bring heat.

I've said for years that I'm not a huge fan of Holcomb because he doesn't play down hill. If this 2-gap info is true it makes a hell of a lot more sense to me. 

Even front defenses (4 fronts mostly) typically employ a 1-gap system. You check your gap and go play football. 

We are asking our defensive line to read and react. And our linebackers to play pass first (and they aren't great in coverage as is). And we are not bringing the heat necessary.

I'm sure Del Rio knows what the difference is and its not as cut and dry as "this is a 1-gap D" or "this is a 2-gap D". But... Why we're two gapping at all is strange to me with the horses we have.

Thanks for the explainer.  Why in the hell would we do that?  We have four first-rounders on the line, why wouldn't all four be on the line every time?

8 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I dunno Hein looks like he has a much more live arm to me so far 

Fitz looked pretty bad, yeah. But there’s no heat on Heinicke’s throws at all. When it’s successful it looks like the most fluttery touch ball so it doesn’t seem bad, but that’s pretty much his whole thing. When teams need to gameplan for where he can threaten them the field is going to condense on us, big time. 

Jamin made a few nice plays but also had his rookie moments.

When coverage on the RB he's been A+

Run support he got blocked once, dodged the block and made the tackle for loss once, and dodged the block and missed the tackle once.

He's quietly doing his job for the most part and has been our best LB.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zskins said:

Like i said: mobility. 

I think the mobility and off schedule stuff is definitely his calling card and biggest asset but IMO that's limited since his pocket passing and arm talent are both pretty mediocre.

This is also a situation like last year where he's going up against a team that probably hasn't done a lick of game planning for him. If Fitz has to miss extended time I'm curious to see what happens when teams actually start preparing for playing against Heinicke. I'd be ecstatic if he thrives and proves to the guy, but I'm not going to hold my breath or anything.

1 minute ago, IrepDC said:

Jamin made a few nice plays but also had his rookie moments.

When coverage on the RB he's been A+

Run support he got blocked once, dodged the block and made the tackle for loss once, and dodged the block and missed the tackle once.

He's quietly doing his job for the most part and has been our best LB.

Informative post. Thanks

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Fitz looked pretty bad, yeah. But there’s no heat on Heinicke’s throws at all. When it’s successful it looks like the most fluttery touch ball so it doesn’t seem bad, but that’s pretty much his whole thing. When teams need to gameplan for where he can threaten them the field is going to condense on us, big time. 

Like @IrepDC said I don't want to believe it. It can't be true in most situations and its only used situationally. But the fact that our backers routinely don't play downhill has me worried it could be true. And explains why we roll with the same backers despite the fact they aren't aggressive at all... Because we don't want them to be.

• Like 1