Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

I thought that said Doctson for a second. Was gonna say... if people can assume OSU QBs are going to stink automatically I can say I don’t want a receiver by the last name of Doctson :ols: 

(kidding. I’d take a receiver named Doctson if they were good)

I like Jahan Dotson.  He really impressed me in the game Ohio St. including a nifty one handed catch.   Against Maryland he didn't have a huge impact on the game but looked okay when they went his way.  Maybe another PSU receiver is a comparable, KJ Hamler.

Gonna definitely need to spend an early round pick next draft on an interior OL, seems pretty obvious Scherff is gone. There is a small possibility that some young interior OL on our roster impresses, really the only one I can see doing that is Saahdiq Charles.

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

13 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Gonna definitely need to spend an early round pick next draft on an interior OL, seems pretty obvious Scherff is gone. There is a small possibility that some young interior OL on our roster impresses, really the only one I can see doing that is Saahdiq Charles.

I could see Schweitzer and Charles being our starting guards next season. Even Ismael could potentially be an option by that point if he continues to develop. And Flowers could be back, but I’d guess probably not at the 10 mil he’s scheduled to make next year.

Drafting OLs is never a bad idea but guards aren’t generally impossible to find in free agency plus we’ll have at least two potential starters under contract. Wont be an absolute requirement to spend a high pick on one, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Baker has a stronger arm, but the similarities are striking.  Howell is like a middle class man's version of Baker.  He's not as good as Baker was, who was a stud as a junior and a Heisman winner as a senior and face of the sport who made the CFP and gave Georgia a fight with a much worse surrounding cast than Georgia had.

I don't see Howell reaching that level of play this year, I would be shocked if UNC made the CFP.  That would take such a huge leap from him.  But he's good and seems like a solid first rounder.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

It'll be interesting to see what Desmond Ridder does this year. I don't recall, but was Zack Wilson a 1st rounder this point last year? 

Zach Wilson left after his junior year.  Because he didn't have much hype at this time last year, but people didn't factor him into the 2021 draft at all at this point in the year because they assumed he would come back for his senior season in 2021.

Edited by philibusters

20 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I still think we could use a MIKE, a CB, or an OT in the first. 

But, just to play devil’s advocate, would it be terrible to take an edge? We have nothing behind Chase and Montez. I wouldn’t hate it. 

I think a lot of this depends on how our picks this year pan out. If Davis can play Mike then we have that covered. If St. Juste turns out to be legit then we may not need to go CB early (but I could still see it happening). If Cosmi reaches his potential we may have a guy who can be a LT for a long time. If Toney and/or Bradley-King turn out to be decent then that gives us some Edge depth.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 9:18 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Helps your deep ball look good when you have Dyami Brown making adjustments to the throws.  But it's catchable for sure.

Howell looks like a lower middle class man's Baker Mayfield to me.  Wonder how he copes with losing so much skill talent?

Not many adjustments needed on deep ball but pocket presence and footwork need developing

Edited by Otis Wonsley Posse

“He wasn’t ready to play Florida two years ago,” offensive line coach Garin Justice, now in his second season at Miami, told 560-AM last week. “He wasn’t ready to play that game, but he was probably the best option we had at the time. But you also look at him, you look at his physical skill set, you also see why he played that game because he does have a lot of twitch, a lot of athletic ability you can’t coach as an offensive line coach. There’s a reason why people and these experts say he’s a potential guy in a year or two. He’s fun to coach. He does have some work to do fundamentally. He’s got to get better.”

Said veteran center Corey Gaynor last week: “He’s just a freak of nature. Zion’s an incredibly gifted football player. He’s got long arms. Think he’s big and strong, and I think he’s very twitchy. He’s everything you want out of a left tackle.”

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-hurricanes/fl-sp-um-zion-nelson-2022-draft-20210419-kysfiifb2ralbhcs5gy3tmohhi-story.html

• Like 1

I watched my share of Corral when watching Ole Miss players before the last draft and commented a little on him back then.   He has some Favre style playmaking in him.  but wow some of his picks were atrocious.  He needs IMO to learn how to settle down as for his decision making but he's talented. 

• Like 1