Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Trying to learn from each draft.  Mac is an interesting one for me.  I probably talked about him and watched him more than any player in the draft.  I liked him here more than most.  There were two people here who loved him.  But I liked him albeit not loved him for reasons i detailed many times.  I'd have taken him in a heartbeat at 19 but I didn't push a trade up.  According to one beat reporter the team felt exactly the same way.  Who knows, though?

The lesson for me here is if a dude's accuracy is through the roof, and can move some in the pocket albeit isn't fast -- and the key kicker is someone with intangibles through the roof who wants to be great and will work it nonstop -- pull the trigger on a player like that.  😀

Granted it could still fall apart for Mac but he's clearly off to a good start.  And if he ends up being the goods, I'd be jealous, seems like other teams do young franchise QBs but not us. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

The way Lamar Jackson, among others, made mobile QBs start getting more attention in recent years, Mac Jones will likely swing the tide some back towards traditional pocket QBs. Seeing how fast he's taken over that starting job is impressive. 

I still see him having some ups and downs this year, but I do believe scouts will once again start magnifying the traditional pocket QBs again after this year. We will be one of those teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

The way Lamar Jackson, among others, made mobile QBs start getting more attention in recent years, Mac Jones will likely swing the tide some back towards traditional pocket QBs. Seeing how fast he's taken over that starting job is impressive. 

I still see him having some ups and downs this year, but I do believe scouts will once again start magnifying the traditional pocket QBs again after this year. We will be one of those teams.

With his accuracy + smarts and the Pats using a short and intermediate heavy rhythm pass game I'm not surprised that Jones is doing pretty well quickly.

That being said, I'd pump the brakes on pronouncing him an elite QB who will singlehandedly swing the tide back away from mobile QBs just based on some preseason games.

8 minutes ago, mistertim said:

With his accuracy + smarts and the Pats using a short and intermediate heavy rhythm pass game I'm not surprised that Jones is doing pretty well quickly.

That being said, I'd pump the brakes on pronouncing him an elite QB who will singlehandedly swing the tide back away from mobile QBs just based on some preseason games.

I'm not that big of a Mac Jones fan to call him elite. He doesn't need to be elite to singlehandedly swing the tide, in my opinion. If he just continues on the trend he's on, in a copycat league, you will hear his season talked about throughout the draft process when looking at pocket QBs of his mold.

"After Mac Jones success in New England last year, blah blah blah."

I do think he'll have a relatively successful season. I did mention I expect it to be up and down, but he looks to be trending up.

That doesn't mean mobile QBs lose their momentum, it just means pocket QBs might be more in style off the back of Jones early success. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Marshall doesn't surprise me.  Freak athletes for their size who are proven deep threats = good things typically. 

I liked Yeboah who made that list, was really surprised he went undrafted. 

Marshall was the closest thing to Metcalf in this year's class aside from Jacob Harris, but Harris didn't really have the pedigree against top competition and was more of a project.  Carolina has some weapons.

Yeboah got cut by the Jets.  They're probably trying to sneak him onto their practice squad.  I was surprised by the quality of some of the prospects from the past two years who got cut around the league.  Especially at TE and DL: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32115218/2021-nfl-roster-cuts-tracker-for-all-32-teams

I also now understand why they felt safe cutting Gandy-Golden and getting him on the PS, as he is not as good as a lot of the PS candidates I saw get cut by other teams.  There were a couple of guys I'd have considered making cuts to sign like Yeboah and Isaiah Hodgins and Cade Johnson. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Granted it could still fall apart for Mac but he's clearly off to a good start.  And if he ends up being the goods, I'd be jealous, seems like other teams do young franchise QBs but not us. 

He looks competent, and I think he's in a great situation that will facilitate his success.  That's the other half of the equation, and I still believe franchise QBs are more made than found.  I don't know what his ceiling is though.  I still doubt that he'll end up being better than Lawrence and Wilson.  They both look like absolute studs too, and they seem to have been drafted into pretty good situations as well.  And it won't happen right away because of how raw he is, but you have to figure that Shanahan is going to get Trey Lance playing well too.  He may have ended up in the best situation out all of the QBs, and it could be a Josh Allen type scenario where in three years he ends up being the best one of the bunch.

Fields is the one I worry about the most, because I don't really trust Nagy.  He's going to get screwed if Nagy gets himself fired in the next year or two.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Marshall was the closest thing to Metcalf in this year's class

Yeah i was going to mention Metcalf.   Tall dudes who can really run fast and are legitimate deep threats.    Nico Collins was my poor man's version of Marshall in the last draft albeit he played outside. 

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He looks competent, and I think he's in a great situation that will facilitate his success.  That's the other half of the equation, and I still believe franchise QBs are more made than found.  I don't know what his ceiling is though.  I still doubt that he'll end up being better than Lawrence and Wilson. 

I am a big Lawrence and Zac guy, I like Fields, too.

And who knows its just the preseason, so will see.  I loved how Mac threw with anticipation and loved his body language as for manipulating safeties among other things.  But what struck me the most is he really stood out as a dude obsessed with being great.  Personally, I harp on that point a lot with QBs.  Reason being that the bible for me as to QBs is Arians book on the spot.  It was well written for laymen like me so its the best I got as for evaluating that spot.  And he went on and on and on about how work ethic is more key for QBs than any other spot.  The gist of it is you need that obsessive work ethic to hone consistency with your mechanics and also that week leading up to a game is critical for a QB to prepare especially as to mastering that weeks protections which match up to upcoming defense, etc.  He believes QBs need sort of a Rocky like focus and obsession everything being equal.  So whenever I read about a player who has good talent but also is described with Peyton Manning-Tom Brady obsessive like work habits -- its gotten my attention.  But if Mac ends up being really good, it will get my attention even more going forward. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

On 9/1/2021 at 10:29 AM, IrepDC said:

Competency early in a rookie deal (or Brady mentality) is all you need, whether pocket or mobile QB. The mobile QB edge has weakened, due to the baseline athleticism being John Elway. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Does this Minnesota RT mammoth have a shot at starting on Sundays?

Oh yeah.  He's shockingly athletic for how big he is.  He's dropped weight too to get into the 370 range, which is a doable.  He could probably lose even more, and if Trent Brown can play at 370, Faalele should be able to as well as he is a little bit bigger in frame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That sucks ass about Ibrahim.

Those Ohio State skill players are awesome this year.  Looks like they've got some freshman backs with some major juice.

Speaking of Juice, Minnesota could have really used him last night.  The pressure fell apart in the second half, but Olave was just romping through that Swiss cheese coverage.  It looked easy for him like it did for Davonte Smith last season.