Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-week-1-takeaways-grades-advanced-stats-2021

CINCINNATI IS A PLAYOFF TEAM IF THIS IS THE NEW PASSING OFFENSE

Take this with a grain of salt — Cincy faced Miami of Ohio, after all — but the offense looks as if it has taken that well-needed leap.

The Bearcats no longer relied on Desmond Ridder’s scrambling ability to move the ball and instead orchestrated an efficient passing attack. Over 64% of their pass plays generated positive expected points, a rate that bests every game from their 2020 season.

There were more short, quick pass concepts incorporated than before, and Ridder executed the plan. Sixteen of his 25 pass attempts were within two seconds of the snap, and he completed 15 for 133 yards and two scores.

He attempted only one pass between 10 and 19 yards downfield but posted a couple of big-time throws on passes thrown 20 yards or further.

Again, it’s the Miami RedHawks, but this was an encouraging day for a passing offense that entered the year with some question marks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Golly gee.  That Hamilton guy is a stud.  Hope we don’t have a chance to draft him.

Safeties are so tough to read.  Guys like Grant Delpit and Andre Cisco were sure fire 1st rounders at one point, then you have guys like Keanu Neal and damarious Randall that fly up the boards from the midrounds.  Even derwin James was talked about top 5 overall before he dropped.  Maybe the most volatile position other than QB.  

That being said, I agree with you that if Hamilton is within our range, something really went wrong for either Hamilton or us in 2021.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Safeties are so tough to read.  Guys like Grant Delpit and Andre Cisco were sure fire 1st rounders at one point, then you have guys like Keanu Neal and damarious Randall that fly up the boards from the midrounds.  Even derwin James was talked about top 5 overall before he dropped.  Maybe the most volatile position other than QB.  

That being said, I agree with you that if Hamilton is within our range, something really went wrong for either Hamilton or us in 2021.

There are some though that looked insanely a step above.  That year that Fitzpatrick and Derwin came out, me among others were obsessed with getting one of them.  I almost threw my chair at the TV when we skipped over James.  Great players but they were also billed with great intangibles.  The intangibles to me is always the kicker.  I haven't seen enough of Hamilton yet to put him in that same class but thus far it certainly seems to be the case.

As hybrid types I did like Jeremy Chinn a lot recently and also like many here Isaiah Simmons.  Simmons has been decent but nothing special.  Chinn has looked really good but not on James or Fitzpatrick's level.  I liked McKinney who the Giants took but nowhere near to the extent I liked Fitzpatrick and James, he got hurt, and hasn't done much yet.

My point though is safeties who look special and also supposedly have special intangibles -- I'd bet big on.    I haven't read anything about Hamilton as a guy so don't know his intangibles, yet.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My point though is safeties who look special and also supposedly have special intangibles -- I'd bet big on.    I haven't read anything about Hamilton as a guy so don't know his intangibles, yet.

When you say you'd bet big on them, you seem to be speaking to whether they will pan out.  I was speaking strictly in terms of where they were drafted.  This can be due to various factors, including teams not valuing a safety as much as QB, LT, pass rusher etc.

I remember derwin getting draft hype very early in his college career.  He did get hurt one season at FSU, but other than that, was still a top prospect when he entered the draft.  The draft process validated the hype.  He still dropped to 17.  If a QB, LT, pass rusher was hyped up as elite for their position, lived up to it on the college field, and validated it during the draft process, they probably wouldn't make it to 17.  Penei sewell "fell" to 7.  But a safety did fall.  That's all I was saying.

And as far as Kyle Hamilton, he was hyped as an NFL star very early in like derwin.  Also like derwin and minkah, he has a ton of flexibility, single high, box, slot.  Does well in coverage and in the box.  Is physical.  

So while I don't think we will have a shot at him if both he and we have our expected seasons, as a safety, maybe we would have a shot.  I wouldn't be shocked if we drafted 17 with the schedule we have ( if we draft top 10, yes I'd be shocked, and that's PROBABLY where KH gets drafted), but if we are 17 and the derwin effect kicks in, we could snag him.  That same draft we happened to land a highly touted player at 17 who was expected to go much higher in JA.  Maybe we should start the rumor now how awful KHs shoulders are?!?

Edited by KillBill26

On 9/5/2021 at 10:22 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

Watched some of the Texas game too and Bijan is becoming a major star.  He could be a Saquon level prospect next year, and he looks like the most talented and special back in CFB right now to me.  He makes the game look easy.

Breece Hall struggling to get anything going and squeak out a win against Northern Iowa is indicative of how disappointing the top of the 22 RB class is compared to the last one.  Zonovan Knight feels like the only really interesting guy for us.  He is the best outside zone runner in the class IMO, and he seems like he's got some Raheem Mostert in him.

Don't know how good of a prospect he is but watching the Maryland WVU game Leddie Brown impressed me.  He runs through contact well and decent change of direction.

Edited by philibusters
  • Like 1

Hamilton is a better prospect than Minkah and Derwin were.  He's widely considered a top five player in this class, and he is almost certainly a top five athlete in the class.  He's in the Jamal Adams, Eric Berry, Sean Taylor tier of safety prospects that only come around a handful of times per decade.

Doesn't mean he'll be the best safety in the NFL, just that he's among the best prospects at the position.  Worth pointing out that Ed Reed, Harrison Smith, Steve A****er, and Troy Polamalu were not early first round picks.  Bob Sanders and Brian Dawkins were second round picks.  John Lynch was a third round pick and Rodney Harrison was a fifth round pick.  Long time ago, but Ken Houston was a 9th rounder.  This hasn't historically been a position where the best players were often super high draft picks like OL, QB, RB, and DL.  Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson, and Ronnie Lott were drafted as corners, which pretty much just leaves Kenny Easley as the only stone cold all timer who was also a top ten pick at safety in his draft.

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Didn't watch the first half of the game with Corral.  I'll watch some of the 2nd.  I watched my share of him last year when studying Elijah Moore among others.  Love his moxie, he has some Heinicke style scrappiness and scrambiling ability -- but his decision making was atrocious at times -- if he cleans that up, he could be interesting. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Didn't watch the first half of the game with Corral.  I'll watch some of the 2nd.  I watched my share of him last year when studying Elijah Moore among others.  Love his moxie, he has some Heinicke style scrappiness and scrambiling ability -- but his decision making was atrocious at times -- if he cleans that up, he could be interesting. 

Going to be fun to track the QB prospects this draft.  A complete wildcard unlike some past drafts.  Everyone knew of guys like Fields, Lawrence, Tua, Rosen, and Darnold from before their last college seasons started.

This drafts hierarchy of QB prospects is so unsettled, and there's raw talent there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Going to be fun to track the QB prospects this draft.  A complete wildcard unlike some past drafts.  Everyone knew of guys like Fields, Lawrence, Tua, Rosen, and Darnold from before their last college seasons started.

This drafts hierarchy of QB prospects is so unsettled, and there's raw talent there.

Yeah some of these guys like Corral I recall somewhat from last season, so it will be interesting to see how they progress.  I just watched a drive of his but I'll try to watch the rest of this game.  He has a certain moxie-gusto as for how he plays which I like but I recall some games last year where he came off a bit reckless with the ball.

I watched Slovis some last year and maybe I was watching the wrong games because I recall not being impressed albeit forgetting why.

I watched some of Strong over the weekend.  I've watched Rattler last year quite a bit, Howell, Ridder, too.  I haven't seen Willis.  I haven't paid attention yet to Daniels.

Got a lot of work to do but it should be fun, I agree.

I am torn though.  Wonder if they shoot for a veteran next off season versus draft a QB? 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Is Virginia Tech's front 7 that dominant or is UNC's OL that bad? It's tough to evaluate Howell with his OL getting dominated like it was this week.

With that said, Howell has plenty of room to improve his own performance. I didn't love his eyes this game. He would've thrown more INTs if he didn't have such good accuracy. I noticed his eyes bringing a lot of defenders around the ball on several plays. 

He also looked to predetermine his receiver a few plays where, if he went through his progressions quick enough, he had someone open.

He didn't have much time, though, so I try to cut him some slack. V-Tech was in the backfield harassing him all game, and it looked like he lost trust(understandably) in his line and started to get happy feet. 

His mobility impressed me. I didn't realize he was as athletic as he showed. Announcers mentioned it's something he has worked on a lot this offseason.

He also made some clutch 4th down conversions in the final quarter. I belive it was the 4th and 11 where he was rolling left, defenders chasing him, and he makes an off platform throw perfectly to his WR going the opposite direction for the first down. That was impressive.

Overall I was underwhelmed with UNC's offensive gameplan. They abandoned the run too early and failed to adjust to their OL getting abused. I did like when they finally found ways to get the ball to Josh Downs. He looked like the best player on their offense this game.

It's only one game, and I'm not off the Howell bandwagon just yet. I do hope we getter better play from his OL, and maybe a better gameplan, so he has more opportunities to showcase his talent the rest of the year.

He's one of the many QBs I'll be following closely this year. We need to find our guy; hopefully in this next draft.

Spencer Rattler's decision making worries me a bit. You can tell he trusts himself to make every throw and fit the ball into any window. Sometimes that leads to a beautiful completion you didn't think he could make, and sometimes it leads to an INT in triple coverage. 

If he can be a bit more cautious, I'd like him more, but I'm not sure that's his game. He seems like the classic gunslinger who's going to give his receivers plenty of opportunities to make plays. 

I see the arm talent. He can zip the ball in or throw it with touch when he needs to. I would like to see him improve the consistency of his accuracy. Overall I'm lukewarm on him right now.

Tulane wasn't really a good test and he threw from a clean pocket majority of the game. I want to see him against better competition, although the defenses he will face, including his own in practice, are all pretty terrible. 

My early thought is hopefully he is one of the QBs taken before our pick, allowing someone else to fall to us. For now, he is a bit too boom or bust in my eyes, but that can change as the season plays out.

Sidenote, the OU kicker should be on our radar too. The way he confidently kicked 50+ yards made me jealous.