Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

I'm going to will this into existence.

Nick Cross, safety for Maryland

PFF: "You won’t see a ton of defenders in college football with Cross' size-speed combination. He is a stout 6-foot-1, 210 pounds and can range with the best of them on the back end."

247Sports' take: Nick Cross is an absolute warrior who's stout against the run and can also make game-changing plays in the secondary.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, CRobi21 said:

Spencer Rattler, Oklahoma QB, is pretty impressive. Great presence in the pocket. Excellent at extending plays, but always looking to throw. Quick release. Accurate arm.

Very Russell Wilson-esque.

Rattler is intriguing.

Was watching Desmond Ridder on and off, a bit of a roller coaster performance but that was against Indiana who has a good defense. And he helped pull off a win.

I haven't watched Carson Strong today but judging by twitter reaction he's having another good game.  I watched his first game and I liked some of what I saw albeit I prefer more mobile QBs.  I am jazzed to watch some Matt Corral tonight. 

2nd rounder?

4 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I think Howell’s accuracy is his biggest asset. His deep ball precision is really incredible. Those traits will always play up, but QBs are so hard to measure. I like Howell’s chances.

I like Howell in spite of his debut game this season.  Agree he doesn't have a good supporting cast to help.   I am more intrigued with Corral's upside than Howell but haven't yet landed on a strong opinion on either, for me I need to see more of the movie on both. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 2:14 PM, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I haven’t followed this thread as much the past two years. So, I’m sure this guy has been discussed before, but Kenneth Walker RB Michigan State looks pretty damn good to my eye. He’s having an impressive game versus the Canes.

He is looked good in all three games so far this year.   The announcers mentioned yesterday that he is a much better fit in Michigan St. pro style offense rather than Wake Forest (where he transferred from) who run a spread offense.

22 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Armstrong is an NFL QB. 

That's plus velocity for a lefty. Healthy arm on distance. Drops it in the bucket, timing and placement good. Tad bit high arc on verts for my taste. On the small side for frame, not a runner athlete from what I've seen, but lots to like. 

Armstrong was really impressive against Illinois the previous week.  Illinois defense was not good and the UVA receivers were open against Illinois zone defense but he was still very impressive as his completions were all the mid range and longer passes.  Sometimes college QB's put up impressive stats where they don't throw many passes downfield and Armstrong is not that QB.  UVA's TE is putting up impressive numbers.  He has a wide body and is good at catching the ball.  Doesn't look really fast, but is good at what he does.

I laughed at Sean Clifford being included on top 10 lists this offseason saying if he plays like he did last year he might not be top 10 in the Big 10 (after a terrible start to last year he actually played okay in the second half of the season), but he is playing well this season and was 28-32 against Auburn last night.

Edited by philibusters

Clifford looks much better this year. But he has a lot to prove to show hes draftable.

Right now my eyes are on Rattler, Howell, Corral, Willis, Gabriel, Daniels primarily. Things can change and I haven’t seen all of them

play yet this year. Try to keep up on as much as I can but I’m in season too so it’s tough. 

Corral is my guy at the moment, the 2 games this season i've watched and I am impressed.  He's such a fluid player.   Quick release.  Compact delivery.  Off platform throws.  Good arm strength. Can run.  Can scramble.  Gamer. 

It was hard to miss Corral's moxie and play making ability when I watched guys like Elijah Moore before last years draft.  But he'd make too many boneheaded decisions for me to fall hard for him. 

This year he might have improved as to his decision making.  His October match up against Alabama for me will be key.  Lets see him face Saban's game planning. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

21 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

Armstrong is an NFL QB. 

That's plus velocity for a lefty. Healthy arm on distance. Drops it in the bucket, timing and placement good. Tad bit high arc on verts for my taste. On the small side for frame, not a runner athlete from what I've seen, but lots to like. 

For that game, Armstrong was the better QB between him and Howell.  Looked off the Safety, went through his progressions, delivered the ball in great locations.  Quite frankly, Howell was not impressive, ok but not impressive.  Of course UNC was running all over UVA, so the pass wasn't necessary.

Gonna keep an eye on Armstrong.

:229:The Rook

The good thing for us is there are probably 8 or 9 legit NFL prospects coming in the 2022 draft IMO. Obviously all of them wont succeed. But we will at least be able to get one of them next year. I am kind of glad we will have this season to watch Heineke play and see what he has. If he can stay healthy. 

As far as Corral goes I am going to need to see lots more after last years performances. He was throwing picks like Winston last year. 

🙏 for Heinicke to earn the long term job because there are some bomb ass defensive players in the first round of this class.  Kyle Hamilton in this defense would be incredible.  He was amazing against Purdue and it is so rare to see someone absolutely dominate a game from the safety position like he did.  He was the best and most impactful player on the field by far.

He's the Kyle Pitts of this class in that he's an absolute unicorn whose rarity defies what would normally be low position draft value.  Either him or Thibedeaux is the best player in the class.

Wasn't overly impressed with Desmond Ridder.  I'm not sure I see a big difference between him and Kellen Mond TBH.  But I still love Ahmad Gardner and think there isn't that huge of a difference in quality between him and Stingley.  And Tre Tucker... god damn.  He might be even faster than Rondale Moore and Tutu Atwell.  He's a weapon on kick offs, and that's not very common any more.

This is looking like another solid WR class too.  Jahan Dotson, Drake London, Wilson/Olave, David Bell, Justyn Ross, and Metchie all feel like top 50 players to me.  And Charleston Rambo and Ty Fryfogle are two of my other favorites who feel like good mid-round prospects.

Also really enjoyed watching Aiden Hutchinson.  Some guys you can just tell will be good NFL players and he's one.  Right combo of motor, size, instincts, and athleticism.

And once again, Devin Lloyd is the truth.  I've enjoyed watching him more than most LBer prospects.  He's like a better version of Zach Cunningham.  Lanky and rangy and super instinctive.  He's a better player than Zaven Collins and Owusu-Koromoah were IMO.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

And once again, Devin Lloyd is the truth.  I've enjoyed watching him more than most LBer prospects.  He's like a better version of Zach Cunningham.  Lanky and rangy and super instinctive.  He's a better player than Zaven Collins and Owusu-Koromoah were IMO.

Well I am going to need to focus on Lloyd! Damn did I ever expect to hear Cunninghams name called in 2017 when instead was shocked they read Ryan Anderson

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Well I am going to need to focus on Lloyd! Damn did I ever expect to hear Cunninghams name called in 2017 when instead was shocked they read Ryan Anderson

I can't wait until somebody starts putting together his cut ups for this season.  You guys are going to love him.  He's a splashy playmaker who does some of the exciting athletic things that Jaylon Smith would do, but he's got much better instincts. 

• Like 2

This 2022 QB class is interesting. Plenty of guys who show promise and are very intriguing, but who aren't necessarily can't miss type prospects. That could be good for us, since we're pretty unlikely to have a top 5 pick.

That said, it looks like Corral has separated himself from the rest so far. Sucks because I really like him too. Howell, Rattler, Strong, Ridder I like as well to varying degrees. Malik Willis is very interesting because of his big time physical traits, though playing for a small school always brings its own questions.

• Like 1