Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

I have a bias against USC QBs that I'll need to get over before looking at Slovis. Those guys always get overhyped in my opinion so I am slow to buy in when they have another "top QB prospect." 

Slovis may be legit, though. We'll see.

My favorite sophomore QB prospect is still Grayson McCall from Coastal Carolina. The way he has elevated that program is a lot more impressive than being the "next" at one of the big schools. I've been a fan since he, in my opinion, outplayed Zach Wilson head to head last year in the win over BYU.

There's nothing to really evaluate from CC's win over Citadel, in my opinion, because the competition was that bad. 

Two more QBs to keep track of this year.

• Like 1

Matt Corral had the most impressive (highlight) tape from week 1 in my opinion. You could see his arm talent, but that's just a part of it.

I saw him moving defenders with his eyes even on some of the quick read option slants where most QBs stare down that first read. His overall manipulation of the defense looked really good to me. I'm watching his tape from the perspective of a defender like "Okay this guy is sneaky. You have to be careful with him."

I saw him doing the little things that keep pressure on a defense i.e. he attacks the defender on every read option play when he hands it off, basically taking the decision from the defender and making him respect him as a threat. On draw plays, he shows good ball skills and will even throw a pump fake just to try and get his RB that extra split second. 

He generally looked good going through his reads as well, and got the ball out fast and on target when he found his guy. He has an NFL arm for sure.

He could end up being the fast riser this year(or fade as better comp comes). It'll be interesting to see how he plays against those SEC defenses this year. I'm intrigued after what he showed week 1.

• Like 4

I'll add that some of the manipulation that Corral did, other QBs do as well. The draw pump fake being something that's common. The difference is you see Corral actually move defenders with his fakes and eyes. He is believable and not just going through the motions. The smoothness of ball skills reminds me of Mahomes.

It's only against Louisville and 1 week, but I'm pretty sure I'll be watching every Ole Miss game the remainder of the year to see if what I think I saw was legit. 

• Like 1

Corral looked good. My one issue though is I'd like to see how he fares when he gets harassed.  Lousiville didn't really pressure him much.  As I mentioned Corral has some Heincike style elusiveness in the pocket and like can can throw off platform.  When I watched last night (just the 2nd half) you didn't see it because he wasn't pressured enough to showcase it but he did take off some and had some keepers and ran.  But he's really fluid when he's on his game, actually more so that Howell IMO.  Compact delivery, quick release, good arm.  But I've seen him when he's harassed and his game in some of those cases can turn into a bit of a mess, I wanted to see if he's overcome that.   But i am a big fan of his skill set. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Corral looked good. My one issue though is I'd like to see how he fares when he gets harassed.  Lousiville didn't really pressure him much.  As I mentioned Corral has some Heincike style elusiveness in the pocket and like can can throw off platform.  When I watched last night (just the 2nd half) you didn't see it because he wasn't pressured enough to showcase it but he did take off some and had some keepers and ran.  But he's really fluid when he's on his game, actually more so that Howell IMO.  Compact delivery, quick release, good arm.  But I've seen him when he's harassed and his game in some of those cases can turn into a bit of a mess, I wanted to see if he's overcome that.   But i am a big fan of his skill set. 

Agreed. Louisville wasn't able to get much pressure on him. I'd like to see how he handles a situation like Howell faced week 1. 

• Like 2

Highlighted by Dane Brugler this morning so I watched a cut up of Devin Lloyd:

Pretty impressive.  Big and twitched up athlete with good first steps and phenomenal closing speed.  Looks like he missed some tackles and increased the difficulty quite a bit on a few others from false steps/not breaking down, but he's so athletic he can make plays off his frame.  Also looks like he needs to speed up his recognition, but when he does see it, man does he explode into the backfield.

He's got the rare combo of traits where his backpedals and transition steps in coverage look so fluid and easy and his run fits are still ferocious.  Really looks like he enjoys delivering the blow when he takes on linemen.  Lined up as an edge rusher too in this game, and his speed is such that he could eventually be a nice blitzer. He's productive too, averaged like 10 tackles a game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

Agreed. Louisville wasn't able to get much pressure on him. I'd like to see how he handles a situation like Howell faced week 1. 

Yeah though I am with you as for his tools.  I am really intrigued by Corral.  I want to see more though to form a strong opinion.  he was a bit of a roller coaster in the games I watched of him last year.  but he's off to a good start.   He's a real fluid player.    And I tend to fall for players with good mobilty and who can make plays off platform.   I just need to be convinced he can make good decisions on a consistent basis. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Obviously our biggest needs would be:

1). QB

2). LT (Leno seems at best average, but maybe he shows something this year)

3). RB (major hole behind Gibson)

4). LB (We have zero depth behind the starters)

5). WR (depends on if Dyami balls out and Samuel shows he was worth the contract)

6). TE (depends on if Bates & Reyes show something)

7). FS (Depends on if Curl can transition)

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

1). QB

5). WR (depends on if Dyami balls out and Samuel shows he was worth the contract)

Due to contracts ending...

1) Yup (Fitz contract expires)

2) Yup (Leno and Lucas contract expires)

3) You don't believe in the Patterson hype?

4) Yup (Bostic's contract expires)

5) Tentative, can always use versatile developmental depth, but we'd need like half a season to assess.

6) Too early to even discuss such a 'what if' scenario.  Logan, Bates, and Reyes are under contract for 4 years?

7) FS is always a need, because there are so few good FS in the league.  But also, who know if Landon Collins expensive contract is kept on the books for 2022.  If not, Curl slides over to SS?

5 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

We really need to find a qb watching dak light it up is annoying to watch....hell of a 3rd round pick

He had such a unique intro experience to the NFL.  The best run game in the NFL and then some cookie cutter vanilla passing concepts that piggy backed off that.  Then they added more on the next season, etc etc.  Such a slow and steady process, and it obviously worked.  I doubt Dak would be who he is without that, but credit to just right player in the right situation at the right time.

There are probably quite a few other QB's who could've developed like that if given the chance.  I feel like both Flacco and Lamar Jackson would've busted out if they did not go to the Ravens.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mhd24 said:

1). QB

I have a feeling the plan may be to hopefully move Cosmi to LT next season after he hones his technique. He has the size and extreme athleticism to potentially be an excellent LT but his technique is a bit too raw right now for it IMO.

Agree with most of the rest of the list, though with some of the positions it feels more like the need for depth as opposed to starters (though with LB and WR that obviously depends on how Davis and Brown develop).