Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

Not really getting a good chance to evaluate Sam Howell tonight. He has absolutely no time at all and is getting crushed pretty much every time he drops back. Tech looks really good so far.

I am watching on and off.  I've watched Howell some last year.  I don't have a strong opinion on him, yet.  The short version of it for now is i like him but don't love him but I haven't really fully zoned in on him yet. 

Is there a clear No. 1 overall prospect in the 2022 class?

Kiper: There's no Trevor Lawrence in this class, no surefire top guy. My highest-graded prospect -- right now -- is Oregon edge rusher Kayvon Thibodeaux. He's the prototype NFL teams want from their pass-rushers, a 6-foot-5 defensive end in the mold of Myles Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney, who both were No. 1 picks. Where do you have Thibodeaux, Todd?

McShay: He's No. 4 in my early rankings, and he's a phenomenal pass-rusher. But I would actually lean toward Oklahoma quarterback Spencer Rattler at No. 1 right now. He has all the tools to be a franchise QB, from his mobility in the pocket to his big arm and quick release to his ability to make off-platform throws on the move.

Kiper: I'm a big fan of Rattler's game -- he's No. 2 on my Big Board. His arm talent is elite. Really excited to see him in Year 2 as a starter.

Overall, how does this QB class look heading into the season?

McShay: This isn't the 2021 class that saw five quarterbacks go in the first 15 picks, but it could get close to that level by January. When I rolled out my preseason top 50, I had six among my top 31 prospects: Rattler, North Carolina's Sam Howell, Liberty's Malik Willis, USC's Kedon Slovis, Cincinnati's Desmond Ridder and Nevada's Carson Strong.

Kiper: I don't see a first-rounder when I watch Slovis' tape, and you're higher than I am on Ridder and Strong

McShay: Yeah, I see Slovis as a little underrated right now. Remember, he completed 71.9% of his passes and threw 30 touchdown passes against a tough Pac-12 slate as a true freshman in 2019 before a shortened 2020 campaign. A hot start to this season will see him get more hype. Right now, I think Rattler, Howell, Willis and Slovis are all in the discussion for Round 1.

Kiper: It really looks like a pretty deep class at this point, but remember that it's still incredibly early. No one saw Zach Wilson becoming the No. 2 pick at this time last year. Baker Mayfield and Joe Burrow had meteoric rises to the top of the board in their classes. And there almost certainly will be quarterbacks in that group you listed who'll take a step back.

McShay: So wait, Mel -- who do you have ahead of Ridder and Strong?

Kiper: The guy I want to see more of is Arizona State's Jayden Daniels, who got only a four-game season in 2020. He threw 17 touchdown passes and just two interceptions as a true freshman in 2019. Daniels needs more mass on his 6-foot-3 frame, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him rise in this class, though he could also be one of the top QBs in the 2023 draft. I have Daniels at No. 4 and Ole Miss' Matt Corral at No. 5 in my quarterback rankings, ahead of Slovis, Ridder and Strong.

Seven of the past 10 No. 1 picks have been QBs. Would you take QBs or the field being the top pick in 2022?

Kiper: Isn't it time for a non-quarterback to go No. 1? We've had four straight QBs since the Browns took Garrett at the top in 2017. There have also been nine QBs taken in the first round in the past two drafts. I think I'm going to take the field, with Thibodeaux, who was also the top-ranked recruit in the ESPN 300 in 2019, as my pick.

McShay: Quarterback all the way here, and my early call is Rattler at No. 1. There are too many talented passers in the class, and there will always be plenty of teams at the top of the board desperately in need of one. ESPN's Football Power Index projects two teams with a better-than-10% chance of landing the top spot next April: the Houston Texans and Detroit Lions. Either could very well be looking for a QB.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2022/insider/story/_/id/32091820/nfl-draft-2022-preview-college-football-season-kiper-mcshay-pick-players-teams-storylines-watch

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Blanka said:

Ridder had a strong outing. And this throw was beautiful 

Yeah I didn't watch yesterday's game but watched a bunch of them last season, he got better as the season went along.  Got some arm talent, he can run.  His accuracy last year IMO needed to improve. But he was my fav 2nd tier (2nd round-3rd round) QB last year back when people thought he was coming out.  If he takes a step up this year, he's likely going in the first, maybe top half.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I watched some Carson Strong last night. Strong arm, pun intended. Nice deep ball with good arc on it.  Made some nice throws on some out routes that didn't look that easy.  I have to digest more.  He has an easy-compact throwing motion.  My first impression is he's more of a traditional pocket passer, looks the part too, stands tall in the pocket, etc -- i saw him mostly in the gun.  Doesn't look like a statue but didn't come off mobile either.    A bit lanky looking. 

I am trying to dive more into intangibles with the QBs and supposedly Strong's intangibes are high.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They were really cising him up in the broadcast booth last night, talking about how he was the smartest player on the field, and then he committed one of the dumbest late hits out of bounds you'll see.  The refs somehow missed it though.

He's been good for years in that D.  He's a nice prospect and he'll get LaVonte David comparisons and has a fringey chance at the first round.  He's not as good as Owusu-Koromoah, but not much worse.  Early second feels right for him.

The guy who was really exciting last night was Jordan Davis.  Holy **** he can move for a 340 pounder.  He's like a better and more active version of Vita Vea, like a Derrick Brown or John Henderson type of monster interior DL.  Can't believe a guy his size was just a three star a couple of years ago, credit the Georgia coaches for seeing something special in him and helping him get to where he is now.

If JT Daniels and Zamir White find their stride and that OL gels, Georgia vs Alabama in the SEC championship game is going to be the real NC game.

On the Clemson side, Andrew Booth looked really good.  Strong off man coverage and he made a big stop on a screen that was spectacular.  Myles Murphy and Bresee are as good as advertised, should be first rounders in '23, and they are really going to miss Bresee for as long as he's out.  Looked like a shoulder separation to me from the contact and his body language.

Their offense looked like garbage without Etienne and Lawrence.  I'm surprised it degraded so fast.  None of their backs looked dynamic at all, and their only receiver who could get open was #10 Ngata.  Justyn Ross might be a diminished player.  And their OL sucks now.  That Georgia line had them so shook that they were screwing up the snaps.

Big contrast from Alabama's ability to reload after losing great players.  Bryce Young didn't miss a beat and their OL is just as good as last year, their WRs are almost as good, their TEs are strong, plus Brian Robinson looked dynamic.

Bubba Bolden stood out to me big time before he got a bad break targeting call.  He was making an impact in a diversity of ways and looked like one of the few Miami players who could have started for Bama.  Feels like he's the kind of elite safety prospect we haven't seen for a couple of draft classes.  Looks like a first round talent.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I didn't watch yesterday's game but watched a bunch of them last season, he got better as the season went along.  Got some arm talent, he can run.  His accuracy last year IMO needed to improve. But he was my fav 2nd tier (2nd round-3rd round) QB last year back when people thought he was coming out.  If he takes a step up this year, he's likely going in the first, maybe top half.

I too was high on Ridders potential and would have really liked him in the 3rd round last year. I watched him a lot in the middle of last season. If he stays consistent in his play this year he could sneak into the first round but at this point, I'd say he is a second rounder. Look forward to watching him more this year.

• Like 1

Watched some of the Texas game too and Bijan is becoming a major star.  He could be a Saquon level prospect next year, and he looks like the most talented and special back in CFB right now to me.  He makes the game look easy.

Breece Hall struggling to get anything going and squeak out a win against Northern Iowa is indicative of how disappointing the top of the 22 RB class is compared to the last one.  Zonovan Knight feels like the only really interesting guy for us.  He is the best outside zone runner in the class IMO, and he seems like he's got some Raheem Mostert in him.

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

They were really cising him up in the broadcast booth last night, talking about how he was the smartest player on the field, and then he committed one of the dumbest late hits out of bounds you'll see.  The refs somehow missed it though.

He's been good for years in that D.  He's a nice prospect and he'll get LaVonte David comparisons and has a fringey chance at the first round.  He's not as good as Owusu-Koromoah, but not much worse.  Early second feels right for him.

plus Brian Robinson looked dynamic.

Really hoping Dean adds about 10 pounds and keeps his speed this year!  

Brian Robinson would look good in burgundy and gold

Ever since Alabama got into first round QB market, they've looked invincible.  With the name and likeness changes, it's easier than ever to pay for elite QBs.  Georgia is going to have to win that game to unseat Bama.  God damn did they miss out by letting Fields leave and Lawrence go to Clemson.

Sometimes it doesn't work out.  I think Clemson thought they were getting Carson Palmer with DJ Uiagalelei, and instead he looks like a slow Logan Thomas.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Sometimes it doesn't work out.  I think Clemson thought they were getting Carson Palmer with DJ Uiagalelei, and instead he looks like a slow Logan Thomas.

Yeah, tough start for the kid. QB is still a crap shoot even if you’re getting top kids. Miami and FSU have been wandering the QB desert for a long time and that once seemed impossible. Guys sometimes just don’t pan out.