Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Rattler has a good chance to blow up next season and be QB1.  The improvement he made from Kansas State to Florida was huge.  And he has an interesting group of weapons to work with: Mims, Wease, Burden, Hazelwood, Stogner.  That offense is going to be a nightmare to cover.

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The Freshman WR #17 Marvin Mims Jr that Spencer Rattler was throwing to looks special.  Getting a Devonta Smith vibe from him.  Tough.  Open field glider.  Beautifully slick and efficient routes.  One to watch for '23.

Yup. Mentioned that in my Rattler review (Mims) a few pages back. Absolutely agree.

I think Rattler is going to wind up QB1 as well. Not there yet, imo, but he will be. He’s a special player that understands the game. 

If Mertz comes out there’s a chance he’s QB2. Willis/Howell for QB3 at that point. 

I know you’re not as high on Howell as I am, but if he winds up QB3 or 4 this “horrible QB class” that people keep talking about becomes a really freakin’ special one.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2021 at 5:06 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

My money is on Jaden Daniels if he can put some weight on. Admittedly I mostly watch extended highlights so I don’t really have in depth knowledge about his game, but some of the throws he makes a jaw dropping, with fundamentals that aren’t a complete eye sore considering he’s only played a season and a half. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

My money is on Jaden Daniels if he can put some weight on. Admittedly I mostly watch extended highlights so I don’t really have in depth knowledge about his game, but some of the throws he makes a jaw dropping, with fundamentals that aren’t a complete eye sore considering he’s only played a season and a half. 

Yeah I think he’s the big “out of nowhere” riser.

7 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Yeah Daniels is really fun to watch. He could definitely light it up.

His size is a legit concern and I'd assume he'll put on (or has put on) more weight to withstand the punishment from NFL hits. 6'3 185 is swizzle stick territory and he looks it. I'd guess NFL teams would like to see him at a bare minimum of 200, which is still very thin for a 6'3 QB, especially if he's going to be running as well. Hell, 5'10 Kyler Murray is listed at 207.

But he does have some exciting traits that certainly pop when you watch him.

Did a small dive into Isaiah Spiller.  One game. 

He has really nice size -- 225 pound back.  His physicality is there sometimes and sometimes not.  Saw him get blown back hard on a couple of carries. But then on some other plays he plowed through some guys.  He seems OK as a pass blocker.

His shake and bake ability is fun to watch.  He makes fast cuts, shifts directions with ease, slippery, especially for his size, gets skinny in the hole.   He looks very comfortable as a passing weapon, they send him down the field on some passing plays.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Bijan Robinson looks like the cleanest NFL projection of those four.  Very Nick Chubb-like.  Productive and strong and skilled but not a god-tier prospect who is a man among boys like Najee, Etienne, and Saquon were.  But he and Tank Bigsby are not draft eligible until '23.

Bigsby reminds me of David Montgomery.  He's strong and has great balance and CoD skills and he has great vision and he's super creative.  But he doesn't have a threatening top gear.  If he were fast he'd be an exciting prospect with Kamara-like potential, but he just doesn't have that kind of speed.  He's probably better than any of our RBs though, maybe he can get faster and more explosive by the time he's draft eligible.

Not a big Spiller fan TBH.  He seems like a Jeremy Hill-type of big plodder.  Soft hands though.  I'd say Trey Sermon is markedly better than him, and since he was a late third round pick, I think that puts Spiller on day 3.

Breece Hall was easily my favorite back for this year's class when I watched a few of them several weeks ago.  He's almost like a slow Reggie Bush.  Super patient and creative and elite shiftiness and vision as inside zone runner.  Lulls you to sleep on your pursuit angles on outside zone before he cuts upfield much faster than you expect.  Knows how to pace his runs and he gets the edge on most defenses.  I don't think he's as good a prospect as Etienne or Harris were, and obviously he's not the kind of player and talent that Reggie Bush was.  Doesn't have that ability to press the turbo button and reach that elite top gear to get away from any defender.  He's not that slow though, still a major home run threat.  Maybe a better version of Melvin Gordon?  Faster and more instinctive.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Just from watching him for a minute, I'm extremely impressed by his lightning quick release. Definitely faster than all the QBs I saw come out of this most recent draft. That throwing motion is extremely quick, I'm not really sure it's a good throwing motion, but it's fast as hell. 

He's super frail looking though and makes RG3 look like a tank. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Just from watching him for a minute, I'm extremely impressed by his lightning quick release. Definitely faster than all the QBs I saw come out of this most recent draft. That throwing motion is extremely quick, I'm not really sure it's a good throwing motion, but it's fast as hell. 

He's super frail looking though and makes RG3 look like a tank. 

With skinny guys sometimes you see wiry strength l, which can compensate for a relatively slight frame. You see him absorb contact ok and break some tackles but that’s in the Pac12. RG3 was just brittle like he’d never seen a weight room. 

8 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

With skinny guys sometimes you see wiry strength l, which can compensate for a relatively slight frame. You see him absorb contact ok and break some tackles but that’s in the Pac12. RG3 was just brittle like he’d never seen a weight room. 

NFL teams are going to be hesitant about a 6'3 185lb QB I'd imagine, unless they were convinced they could put at least 20 pounds on him without it majorly impacting his game. I can't think of any current NFL QB who's that height and even close to that weight. Cousins is relatively light but he's still 205 at 6'3. Carr is 6'3 210. Most guys in that range are 220 plus. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

NFL teams are going to be hesitant about a 6'3 185lb QB I'd imagine, unless they were convinced they could put at least 20 pounds on him without it majorly impacting his game. I can't think of any current NFL QB who's that height and even close to that weight. Cousins is relatively light but he's still 205 at 6'3. Carr is 6'3 210. Most guys in that range are 220 plus. 

185 lbs is a non starter but I can’t imagine he’ll be that skinny if he decides to come out after this season. 205-210 would be the range for him yes. 

He was a freshman starter, highly ranked national recruit, jewel of one of Herm Edwards's first recruiting classes that he is trying to build his program with.  He hasn't really gained any weight the past two years, and Az St hasn't reached their goals.  He doesn't have an NFL body, maybe he gets there eventually, but I think there is very little chance he comes out in '22.

I enjoyed watching him in 2019 though.  He was poised but he also had Aiyuk and Eno Benjamin to help him carry the load.  Didn't really watch him much last season, but it was kind of a farcical year for AZ st because of Covid.

Ainias Smith, I did a quick dive.  Watched two games and then highlights.   Man did Kellen Mond have some weapons.  Spiller, Jones, Smith, Wydermyer.    Wow.  I am not much of a Mond guy.  And I'll double down on that after watching some Texas A & M of late.  

Ainias is a fun watch.  Hybrid WR/RB.   13 YPC as a WR, 6 YPA as a RB.  They line him up in the backfield, outside receiver, slot.  They use him as a chess piece.  He's sort of in that Toney, Rondale mode as for his size. 

He is quick and slippery and elusive.  He has some fun YAC moments.  Good run blocker.  Not as good pass blocker.   Makes some nice catches.   He seems to be really good at getting a step on his coverage.  He gets open and seperates. And they have him all over the field -- underneath, deeper, in, out, etc. 

He gets though a bit pushed around by corners/safeties as for contested catches.  Has some drops and can get occasionally sloppy with fumbles.  I've seen some buzz that he's better than Toney.  He's definitely more polished than Toney as a route runner but Toney is more of the YAC wiz IMO at least from what i watched.   I get the comparison though since they look to be of similar size.  Smith has some stop and go and slipperiness to his game as far as YAC.  But he doesn't strike me on Rondale Moore or Toney's level on that front. 

He's a guy I'll definitely keep track of this season to see if he takes a step up.

Although I think it would be crazy to not make some sort of move for a QB next year, there are needs that we will have to address. The most obvious need to me will be at Guard once Scherff inevitably leaves. We'll have Flowers, Schwes, and Charles, but I don't see a bonafide stud in that mix. I'm curious to see how Charles pans out, he has the potential at Guard but just can't stay on the field. Another guy we should be looking at is St-Juste, if he takes over that #2 CB spot by the end of the season we won't have a need at CB early, but as of now I like the idea of having 3 good CBs on the defense. Safety could be another need if we cut ties with Collins. We also have to consider DT if Jonathan Allen doesn't re-sign. 

Our first rounder could be used on a guy like Kenyon Green, OG, Texas A&M. He's moving to Tackle this year but could show the staff that position flexibility that they like, although it's early, he's expected to go in the 1st. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

Jequez Ezzard, WR, Sam Houston State. He’s a grad student now and he’s playing in the FCS championship game. He’s electric. Wouldn’t mind bringing him in for a tryout. Good return man, too.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2021 at 3:17 PM, Burgundy Yoda said:

Although I think it would be crazy to not make some sort of move for a QB next year, there are needs that we will have to address. The most obvious need to me will be at Guard once Scherff inevitably leaves. We'll have Flowers, Schwes, and Charles, but I don't see a bonafide stud in that mix. I'm curious to see how Charles pans out, he has the potential at Guard but just can't stay on the field. Another guy we should be looking at is St-Juste, if he takes over that #2 CB spot by the end of the season we won't have a need at CB early, but as of now I like the idea of having 3 good CBs on the defense. Safety could be another need if we cut ties with Collins. We also have to consider DT if Jonathan Allen doesn't re-sign. 

Our first rounder could be used on a guy like Kenyon Green, OG, Texas A&M. He's moving to Tackle this year but could show the staff that position flexibility that they like, although it's early, he's expected to go in the 1st. 

Holy crap, that dude looks impressive. Anchors super well and holds his blocks, seems to play with a mean streak and pancakes guys on the regular, incredibly light on his feet for a 325lb dude...moved like a WR on the plays were he was pulling.

• Like 1

He moves incredibly well for his size but he really needs to work on his punch. It might be a placement or timing issue rather than a lack of power but when his hands don't land properly it effects his ability to sustain his blocks. He could be a first round pick if he cleans this up.