Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

Bubba Bolden, S, Miami

Talked about him a bit in the 2021 Thread up until he didn’t declare. His limitation is that he isn’t as good in deep zones as he is in underneath zones and anticipating underneath routes.

He is phenomenal at coming down low to take on an out route. He has been excellent in anticipating throws and getting to the area the ball is in. 

Does a great job making contact with the football on tackles to force fumbles and dislodging the ball from receivers with impact hits.

Big fan.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If we draft him, I imagine we will also be extending Fitz for a year. 

I think we can probably cross Sam Howell off the list. I don’t expect us to be within striking distance of the 1st pick. 

(1) The Next Alabama Great | Alabama WR John Metchie III Highlights - YouTube

John Metchie, WR, Alabama - Soft hands and deep threat. Catches contested balls into traffic. Hasn't shown a ton of "other" stuff but he stems routes well and gets defenders flat footed.

(1) DeMarvin Leal Official Sophomore Year Highlights - YouTube

DeMarvin Leal, DT, Texas A&M - Look like linebacker, play like 3-tech. Fast moving, shifty, athletic, good COD. Gonna see what he's made out of this year. 

(1) Drake Jackson | 2019 USC DE Highlights - YouTube

Drake Jackson, Edge, USC - This man has violent intentions. I think he's a better DE than even Kayvon, but they'll battle that out this season for sure. Jackson opted out last season.

(1) George Pickens Highlights||”Designer Snakes”|| THE NEXT BIG THING - YouTube

George Pickens, WR, Georgia - Contested fade ball pass catcher.  Gets lost behind defenses on the regular and that's where a good portion of his big plays were made. Long receiver who has some range and a motor. Want to see more work underneath for him for me to be sold fully but he's got the goods.

(1) Garrett Wilson Full 60 fps 2020-2021 Season Highlights ᴴᴰ | Ohio State Wide Receiver | - YouTube

Garrett Wilson, WR, Ohio State - It's entirely possible the best two receivers in this class wind up being OSU receivers. Wilson, unlike Pickens and Metchie, shows an ability to run a wide route tree and plays with excellent anticipation and ball tracking. Capable of taking a slant to the barn. 

(1) Freshman ALL-AMERICAN 😈 || Purdue DE George Karlaftis Highlights ᴴᴰ - YouTube

George Karlaftis, Edge, Purdue - He looks like a freight train coming down hill at you when he gets a chance to gain some momentum. Active hands and continues to work after the play. Needs to put more on film, though. 

(1) Dillon Gabriel || 2020-2021 UCF Highlights || HD - YouTube

Dillon Gabriel, QB, UCF - Needs to add size. But he is currently my conditional QB3 in that he adds some bulk to his frame. He makes all the throws. Has a good arm but not great. Athletically sound. Windmills the deep ball a little bit so ideally he shortens the motion a little. Got him as high as I due based on projection. He'll need to improve across the board to hold that. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

image.png.8ac2fd2b32c1d2c45cc381c9d381721e.png

Just the guys' I've watched this year or last or compiled into this list. Lots of stuff to do still and I'm not thinking through this stuff like my hair is on fire yet. The season changes everything.

Some of these guys are going to wind up a lot lower ranked than they are here. Some will sky rocket.

Rasheed Walker is based on my perceived potential of him. Same for a few others. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When I was watching Corral and I watched my share of him when watching Elijah among others, he was an interesting watch.   Strikes me as sort of Sam Howell light. 

He can move in the pocket and can run some.  He can be fun to watch when he gets hot but he's so reckless as a passer.   He likes to let it fly and he makes some really bad decisions in the mix of the soup. 

Hopefully, he learns to tone it down next season.   

• Like 1

Maryland has a bunch of players who are juniors and seniors with some NFL potential.   Here is a list:

1.  Taulia (QB):  Hes only a junior, but will be draft elgible.  Tua's younger brother.  Is slight in stature, is not a fast runner, but knows how to use the mobility he has.   Average arm strength, but accurate thrower.  Potential to put up big numbers as a junior.  Likely doesn't have the physical tools to be a tier 1 QB, but could be a tier 2 guy with a good season.

2.  Tayon Fleet Davis (RB):  He'll be a senior and this will be his first year as the primary ball carrier.  Maryland has had a running back drafted in each of the last three drafts (Ty Johnson 2019, 2020 Anthony McFarland, 2021 Jake Funk + Javon Leake making the WFT practice squad as an undrafted free agent).  Fleet Davis has had behavioral issues in the past, but showed promise.  Is a very physical north south runner.   Like a day 3 pick if he gets drafted.

3.  Dontay Demus:  WR:  Maryland's leading receiver as a sophomore and junior he has good size and the speed to stretch the field.   Adequate route runner at the college level, he'd have to improve to succeed at the pro's, but the potential to be a day 2 pick with a big senior season, if not, then likely a day 3 pick.

4.  Jeshaun Jones WR:  A small shifty receiver who plays with a lot of flare (which is good and bad, he had about five 15 yard penalties for either offensive pass interference on pick plays or taunting last season).   He can be found to watch.

5.  Jaelyn Duncan T:  Hes only a junior, but it will be his third year starting a LT.  Has the idea size for a LT.  Plagued by inconsistency as a freshman starter he played better as a sophomore, but due to covid 19 cancellations it was only a 5 game season, so a lot to prove in 2021.

6.  Nick Cross S:  He is only a junior but very likely leaves early.  Should one of the first 3 or 4 safeties taken.  Brings excellent size at 6'1 215 pounds with speed in the 4.4's.  Has been productive both as a true freshman starter in 2019 and last year.

7.  Chance Campbell LB:  He is no longer a Terp, he transferred to Ole Miss for his senior season, but was a productive starter as a sophomore and junior.  I don't quite understand why he transferred, but I think he could be a day 3 guy.  Great run stuffer, okay in pass coverage.  He had to play about 2 different LB's positions last year due to injury with totally different responsibilities and while he made some mistakes, handled everything pretty well. 

50 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Rasheed Walker is based on my perceived potential of him. Same for a few others. 

Walker was not good against Maryland last year.  Gave up multiple pressures and struggled with assignements a few times.  Just a one game sample size, but not impressive.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Maryland has a bunch of players who are juniors and seniors with some NFL potential.   Here is a list:

1.  Taulia (QB):  Hes only a junior, but will be draft elgible.  Tua's younger brother.  Is slight in stature, is not a fast runner, but knows how to use the mobility he has.   Average arm strength, but accurate thrower.  Potential to put up big numbers as a junior.  Likely doesn't have the physical tools to be a tier 1 QB, but could be a tier 2 guy with a good season.

2.  Tayon Fleet Davis (RB):  He'll be a senior and this will be his first year as the primary ball carrier.  Maryland has had a running back drafted in each of the last three drafts (Ty Johnson 2019, 2020 Anthony McFarland, 2021 Jake Funk + Javon Leake making the WFT practice squad as an undrafted free agent).  Fleet Davis has had behavioral issues in the past, but showed promise.  Is a very physical north south runner.   Like a day 3 pick if he gets drafted.

3.  Dontay Demus:  WR:  Maryland's leading receiver as a sophomore and junior he has good size and the speed to stretch the field.   Adequate route runner at the college level, he'd have to improve to succeed at the pro's, but the potential to be a day 2 pick with a big senior season, if not, then likely a day 3 pick.

4.  Jeshaun Jones WR:  A small shifty receiver who plays with a lot of flare (which is good and bad, he had about five 15 yard penalties for either offensive pass interference on pick plays or taunting last season).   He can be found to watch.

5.  Jaelyn Duncan T:  Hes only a junior, but it will be his third year starting a LT.  Has the idea size for a LT.  Plagued by inconsistency as a freshman starter he played better as a sophomore, but due to covid 19 cancellations it was only a 5 game season, so a lot to prove in 2021.

6.  Nick Cross S:  He is only a junior but very likely leaves early.  Should one of the first 3 or 4 safeties taken.  Brings excellent size at 6'1 215 pounds with speed in the 4.4's.  Has been productive both as a true freshman starter in 2019 and last year.

7.  Chance Campbell LB:  He is no longer a Terp, he transferred to Ole Miss for his senior season, but was a productive starter as a sophomore and junior.  I don't quite understand why he transferred, but I think he could be a day 3 guy.  Great run stuffer, okay in pass coverage.  He had to play about 2 different LB's positions last year due to injury with totally different responsibilities and while he made some mistakes, handled everything pretty well. 

Walker was not good against Maryland last year.  Gave up multiple pressures and struggled with assignements a few times.  Just a one game sample size, but not impressive.

He’s raw as hell. He can either be where he is post season for me or wayyy down. Can see it playing out both ways. 

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Love seeing all the hype on next years QB's. Heard a lot of comments that drafting a QB was a must last weekend because the next two years won't have any QB talent 😀

3 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

At this point the only first rounders we need to be worrying about are at QB. We pretty much have to make a huge move up next year if we want to ever contend

I don't think you get the point of this thread, friend.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

(1) Matt Corral 2020 Ole Miss Season Highlights - YouTube

Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss - Has some legs and some wiggle in his run. Gets the ball out quick and changes arm angles. Seems to have a strong arm on pass attempts that are underneath but I'm not convinced he has deep throwing power on anything beyond about 20 yards. He'll get it there but it's usually a little rainbowy. Accuracy is on point basically at any level. 

Malik Willis 2020 Junior Season Highlights - YouTube

Malik Willis, QB, Liberty - He throws the ball on an absolute kunai (That's Scorpion from Mortal Kombat's "GET OVER HERE" weapon). Throws across his body like a champ. Fast, shifty and balanced. Fast release. Doesn't seem to get through all his reads on a regular basis  but he is incredibly shifty. He finds the open guy and gets them the ball. Very fast release. This dude is a baller. Much like other runners, though, you worry about their health. If he can build on this he's a first rounder. 

Grayson McCall || 2020-2021 Coastal Carolina Highlights || HD - YouTube

Grayson McCall, QB, Coastal - He was a RS Freshman last year so there's a really solid chance this dude stays in school and improves his stock for 2023. 26 TD 3 INT. Athletic but not out of this world. He throws the wheel route real well. Operates out of the read option a good portion of the time. Can flick it out. Not sure on how strong of an arm he has. He has pretty decent ball placement. His tape of last season is pretty good as it pertains to highlight reels. Again, I'm not deep diving these guys yet. But he will need to build on it to climb up draft boards. 

Current 2022 QB Rankings:

1. Sam Howell

2. Spencer Rattler

3. Malik Willis

4. Dillon Gabriel

5. Matt Corral

6. Kedon Slovis

7. Desmond Ridder

8. Grayson McCall

9. D'Erik King

McCall can be a big riser, though. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

At this point the only first rounders we need to be worrying about are at QB. We pretty much have to make a huge move up next year if we want to ever contend

I’m surprised you think we’ll need to make a move up... especially a huge one. The way you’ve been talking sounded like we were going 0-17.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Damn, I loved what I just saw from Malik Willis. Dude has a cannon, looks accurate, and is shifty like a RB. Not much film on him though. I hope this guy doesn't rise to a top 5 pick or something and floats around the mid 1st range. I have a hard time not seeing him go high in the draft though if he builds on what he did last year. Very eerily similar to Vick when he runs IMO, moreso than Lamar Jackson. 

Same thing I thought with Zach WIlson, I predict he will rise too high and be out of our range 😅

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

Graham Mertz 2020 Mix - YouTube

Graham Mertz, QB, Wisconsin - Outside of Howell/Rattler... I think this is my dude. He is going to be a redshirt sophomore, so there's a chance he goes back. But I think he could push for being the top QB taken in the draft with a strong year. He has excellent compsure, can play in an under center style offense or a gun style offense. Fast release. Reads the entire field. Excellent pocket presence. Lacks some mobility but has enough to run when its available and make a few plays with his legs. This is the guy. Him, Howell and Rattler as of right now. 

• Like 1

Breece Hall || 2020-21 Season Highlights || Full Season - YouTube

Breece Hall, RB, Iowa State - Excellent balance and extremely elusive. Makes the first guy miss a very high percentage of the time. Can get downhill and makes good reads. He has great balance, too. In some of this highlights you see him lose his footing and regain it. He is a creator, so he finds something from nothing. Like him a lot. He's not Najee Harris of course, but the guy has some wiggle and burst and falls forward. 

Isaiah Spiller 2020 Texas A&M Highlights 🐕 || HD - YouTube

Isaiah Spiller, RB, Texas A&M - Has a nose for the seams on the field. Finds them and gets through them with burst. You are not going to arm tackle this guy. Runs through contact and keeps his feet moving. Downhill and attacking style of runner that will punish you if you don't take him on at an angle. Very fast stop/start speed on jump cuts or after eluding a tackler. 

Carson Strong 2020 Highlights | Nevada QB | 2022 NFL Draft Prospect - YouTube

Carson Strong, QB, Nevada - When his intended receiver is his first or second read he has good accuracy and reliability. If it gets beyond that his lack of arm strength and accuracy as the pocket breaks becomes evident. I think he preys on weaker opponents a bit and tries to fit the ball into places with a loft that wouldn't be available in the upper levels. He has a lot of work to do to be a viable QB candidate in the NFL. But he has the physical tools and patience. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Graham Mertz 2020 Mix - YouTube

Graham Mertz, QB, Wisconsin - Outside of Howell/Rattler... I think this is my dude. He is going to be a redshirt sophomore, so there's a chance he goes back. But I think he could push for being the top QB taken in the draft with a strong year. He has excellent compsure, can play in an under center style offense or a gun style offense. Fast release. Reads the entire field. Excellent pocket presence. Lacks some mobility but has enough to run when its available and make a few plays with his legs. This is the guy. Him, Howell and Rattler as of right now. 

He looked great against a weak Illinois team then after that Wisconsin had its worst season in 10 years.  It definitely wasn't all QB play, but 7 points against Iowa, 7 points against NW, 6 points against Indiana and 17 points against a weak Minnesota defense.  He missed some games because of covid and that probably threw off his rhymth, but I expect Wisconsin to be good and last year they were mediocre at best.  Again not all of its on the QB, but he looked pedestrian in those losses.

If I were identifying what would take this defense to an all time level right now, elite CB1, a Jalen Ramsey type guy, better MIKE that can replace Holcomb in the 4-3 and play next to Davis, and a Minkah Fitzpatrick, type jack of all trades smart tough cover guy that has supreme positional flexibility. 

We aren’t going to draft high enough to get a Christian Harris or Derek Stingley. A Grevon Moehrig quality coverage safety, a true FS that can also drop down and man cover receivers in would probably be a close enough approximation to Minkah given all the other talent on this team.