Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think the issue is that he talked about not playing or anything like that. More likely that they just didn’t have him in the long term plans and therefore want to get the young guys reps sooner rather than later and free up cap space to get some extensions done. 

Wouldn’t over think it. 

That's what it seems to be to me.  And the cap room savings over two years is likely the key plot line.

I disagree with the top tweet below.   It's not about whether you have more cap space to spare in the short term but you want to build cap space to keep the core players.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't think the Trent thing was thee thing, but it's an attitude that they just don't want. Especially from a guy talking about quitting football. 

I suppose. But I think this staff is more tuned into performance than feelings.

• Like 1

At the end of the day my issue is we are replacing our home grown talent (Moses) with a free agent who has 1 year on the roster (Lucas). How does that look for rookies? It doesn't bode well for team chemistry. That says to me "If I put 5 years here they are just going to find someone else and the hell with me". - Now to me that sounds very vinny cerrato ish. Playing devils advocate however I can see where some are coming from in regards to Moses age, and him wanting to play or retire.

For the guys that are saying Oh we have Charles (definitely hasn't proved that he could play), or oh we have Cosmi (Yes, a very green rookie) etc. is not making any argument. You are talking about releasing your starting RT, so yes that does indeed hurt your depth at all levels. At 8mil on the cap releasing Moses wouldn't be a smart idea without getting something in return, but I'm just a guy on the internet 🤷‍♂️

Edited by ZarG3

49 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

At the end of the day my issue is we are replacing our home grown talent (Moses) with a free agent who has 1 year on the roster (Lucas). How does that look for rookies? It doesn't bode well for team chemistry. That says to me "If I put 5 years here they are just going to find someone else and the hell with me". - Now to me that sounds very vinny cerrato ish. Playing devils advocate however I can see where some are coming from in regards to Moses age, and him wanting to play or retire.

For the guys that are saying Oh we have Charles (definitely hasn't proved that he could play), or oh we have Cosmi (Yes, a very green rookie) etc. is not making any argument. You are talking about releasing your starting RT, so yes that does indeed hurt your depth at all levels. At 8mil on the cap releasing Moses wouldn't be a smart idea without getting something in return, but I'm just a guy on the internet 🤷‍♂️

I don’t think Cosmi is as green as you think he is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.   And I'm not saying this is a disaster or anything, just a move I disagree with.   

You're right, I have no clue what their plan is behind the scenes.  And that's a good thing!  But I don't want to bank on so and so getting coached up, or so and so getting resigned.   Someone else had mentioned how we filled LT this year with a good player for only 5 mil, implying that a hole at OT can be easily and reasonably filled.  I disagree.   A hole at OT is a hole at OT.  Finding a quality player on a 1 year deal does nothing for our long term improvement plan.  A fortunate situation falling in our lap in 2020 does not increase the odds of it happening again in the future.

Now I realize Moses isn't technically in our long term plan, but as we develop our younger skill players, including a potentially rookie QB next year, I think keeping Moses in the fold would've been the better choice as opposed to cutting bait with him now for a meager return.  But again, I'm not losing any sleep over it, I just disagree with it.

Fair enough. And let me add I realize this move is not without risk, nor do I know their plan either.  So far they have made believers out of me in terms of planning and how they are building this roster. So I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here. I do also agree it's not that easy to fill holes - but I think it's easier than it used to be. Free Agency has changed things. 

I am fan of this move but I can see your reasons for being wary and don't completely disagree. We will see.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

LT: Leno, Christian

LG: Flowers, Charles

OC: Roullier, Ismael

RG: Scherff, Schweizer

RT: Cosmi, Lucas

Most of the players who are slated to make our opening 53 on the OL are flexible. Schweizer might end up being the LG3 and RG2 on the depth chart. But to make things even and pencil players in to where I think they'll end up on the 2-deep depth chart, the above would be MY guess. I don't know if we keep 10 OL. And unless Christian makes some otherworldly progress and suddenly realizes the potential we thought he had when we drafted him, I would expect that he's on the roster bubble, with Lucas backing up both LT and RT as the swing Tackle and Charles and Flowers flexibility to kick to OT allowing us to keep 3 OTs.

I like a lot of what you said.  But Flowers doesn’t belong at the tackle position.  He’s a good guard, but a below average tackle.  We’ve seen this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZarG3 said:

Moses is a seven year veteran, that's a pretty decent run for a player.  Everyone of these guys know that's their second contract at least

1 minute ago, carex said:

Moses is a seven year veteran, that's a pretty decent run for a player.  Everyone of these guys know that's their second contract at least

And honestly, Moses has been somewhat subpar the last few seasons.  He is not as fast as he  used to be so he's grabbing on for dear life and false starting at least once every couple games.  And often at critical moments when he absolutely kills a productive drive.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe a lot of the issues with guys like Moses is that we fans haven't had a front office and coaching staff move on from guys early rather than later.  The Patriots and some other teams have been doing it for years.  Roster churn and working to a plan. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here are three simple thoughts on Moses.

1) Some are posting that we are losing our starting tackle.  There is a good chance he would not have started this year, in which case we are actually losing an expensive backup.

2) This "news" came out after the rookie camp.  Coaches may have seen Cosmi in person and known he was ready to play now.

3) Just because this "news" is out, doesn't force our hand.  Moses is under contract and we can still keep him.  

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Trying to free up cap room for Watson or Rodgers? :ols:

According to Fansided’s Matt Lombardo, Watson is currently drawing interest from three teams: The Las Vegas Raiders, Miami Dolphins, and Washington Football Team.

Honestly if it drives his price down... probably still worth the risk. I can’t imagine he never plays again. Not sure how credible this report is but I’d be glad to know we haven’t ruled him out completely. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Trying to free up cap room for Watson or Rodgers? :ols:

According to Fansided’s Matt Lombardo, Watson is currently drawing interest from three teams: The Las Vegas Raiders, Miami Dolphins, and Washington Football Team.

Let him go to LV Raiders! They have lots of massage places and it's a hop, skip and a jump to the Bunny Ranch. I don't want him and his baggage here :)

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Wish Moses well if he departs. I'm really liking the way the OL is shaping up now that we have Leno. I'm most excited to see Bobbie McCain and Jamin Davis out there behind that DL of ours. Our defense is going to something this year.

I'll tell you a guy you are going to/need to be excited about; William Jackson.  He was probably the best FA corner on the market.  He is a helluva football player.  He changes the way we can play defense at times, he's that good.  Yep, going to be a very exciting year!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Moses being cut or traded is ultimately a net of $16m in cap space in 2022. Why?

We aren't going to re-invest that $7.5m this year on spending. So it's money that is going to roll into 2022 one way or another.

So that's $16m in cap space for 2022.

Of course we don't NEED that cap space this year. But the point is it would roll into next year, and that $16 million will be very nice to have in 2022.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ZarG3 said:

I think it more accurately looks like...for the rookies...that if they play well and have good attitudes/character they will be rewarded with a second contract...at a market rate...just like Moses was rewarded.