Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

It's their agents talking when it takes forever (or never) to reach a deal.  The player could put a stop to that and just sign right away to be loyal to the team, but it's not like teams are loyal to players when it conflicts with the goal of winning... so I can't fault players for looking out for themselves.  Kirk Cousins, Trent Williams, Brandon Scherff... I've been annoyed with them while it happens but in the end I just let it go.

Edited by TysonM
changed 'friendly' to 'loyal'

15 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Brandon Schereff

Keim said on his podcast that Scherff turned down an offer that would have made him the league's highest paid guard. This, despite his injury history. I mean, we don't know the details of that contract, but on the surface, it seems absurd to turn down an offer like that.

If it doesn't work out, nobody can say we didn't try to take care of our own. Moreover, if BS is really playing hardball like this, I'd rather see him traded and get a 2nd rounder in return. I don't want this to turn into another Cousins situation.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Keim said on his podcast that Scherff turned down an offer that would have made him the league's highest paid guard. This, despite his injury history. I mean, we don't know the details of that contract, but on the surface, it seems absurd to turn down an offer like that.

If it doesn't work out, nobody can say we didn't try to take care of our own. Moreover, if BS is really playing hardball like this, I'd rather see him traded and get a 2nd rounder in return. I don't want this to turn into another Cousins situation.

It’s already another cousins situation.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Remember, most NFL contracts are no longer than when the player can be cut without cap damage. While I can offer a contract with an APY of the contract is above the highest, you will likely only see a fraction of that, especially if it is backloaded with relatively low GTD money. Further, by 2022 that is likely to no longer be true.

26 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

This means basically nothing, as you alluded to. It was also reported at the time that we offered Amari Cooper a bigger contract than he took to go back to the Cowboys...then it was revealed that our offer’s guaranteed money was not even close to what the Cowboys offered—and that’s the only number that matters. Anything else is just fluff for the agent to brag about—so again, this “report” means essentially nothing. We could offer him a $300M contract and if the guarantees aren’t up to snuff it doesn’t matter. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, method man said:

Even elite guards don’t garner much in trade compensation. Just let him play out the year, sign elsewhere and try to get a comp pick

Interesting. Be nice to see the offer details. I am inclined to think the new regime is into keeping their own. But technically BS is not their own. Just sayin' 

Plus the offer is based on this year's cap right? Not sure. But if it is, this may not be the time for a player to sign a long term deal. According to NFL.com his projected contract was

five years, $85 million ($17 million per year), with $48 million guaranteed. If that was the offer, five years is a long time. Especially when you consider where the cap will be when things open up and the TV deals kick in. I'd wait, play on the tag and bet on myself. Kid better stay healthy and ball out.    

• Like 1

Every time we use the tag, we wind up screwing ourselves. If Scherff is just going to request at least the amount that the tag would be, we can't even pay him next year anyway. It's a trap, I'd trade him for at least a 2nd rounder. 

Wonder if we could trade Brandon Scherff for Orlando Brown Jr. Then just draft Teven Jenkins to be our RG. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Every time we use the tag, we wind up screwing ourselves. If Scherff is just going to request at least the amount that the tag would be, we can't even pay him next year anyway. It's a trap, I'd trade him for at least a 2nd rounder. 

Wonder if we could trade Brandon Scherff for Orlando Brown Jr. Then just draft Teven Jenkins to be our RG. 

Feel like you'd go AVT here, but I get what you're saying. 

Although I'd rather see Schweitzer and Charles inside and look at OL later.

11 hours ago, Wyndorf25 said:

I'm pretty surprised we haven't heard any chatter about signing veteran (literally) OT Villenuava

Is he better than Lucas was last season? I'd rather roll the dice with him and a plan B of Saahdiq Charles.

To me, it's round 1 or nothing for LT and this is probably the best year to get it done before using draft capital to get a QB. 

I'd rather the MLB, but I do feel LT is the target and that may have a lot to do with it too. 

9 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

Feel like you'd go AVT here, but I get what you're saying. 

Although I'd rather see Schweitzer and Charles inside and look at OL later.

If he's there, I think he goes off the board before Jenkins, could be wrong though. Charles has an uphill battle to climb to become a starter IMO, I don't see him as being a reason we shouldn't go OL early. The potential is there though. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

The tag requires the fan to place value on a season of play. Most don’t. For example, what was the value of Scherff being an elite guard last year (All pro)? Was his level of play last season worth a 3rd round pick? 2nd?

• Like 2

I was very glad we picked Scherff but if he is turning down top money - IF - move him and now. It is possible this is his agent trying to negotiate in the media and a more reasonable deal is there to be had as time winds down. While typically I am on the player's side, if the team has made a reasonable offer - assuming that is true - then if they are being greedy **** them. Let them move on.  

• Like 3

Scherf (with the assistance of his representation) has the absolute right to play hardball. After all it’s his financial security and future that he is risking by doing so. Bully for him.

The real question is whether he is playing hard ball to get the best deal with us or whether in his heart of hearts he, like Cousins before him, has seen enough of this team (aka Snyderville) that even the undeniable short term improvements instituted by Rivera is not enough to disuade him from his desire to exit stage left.

If it’s the latter then just trade him for a third round or better pick in this year’s draft (vs at best a compensatory third rounder NEXT year) and move on.

We need players that want to be here and are willing to buy in completely. 

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, method man said:

Even elite guards don’t garner much in trade compensation. Just let him play out the year, sign elsewhere and try to get a comp pick

We’ll struggle to recover a comp pick with the balance of players likely coming in as well, even then you are not getting the pick until 2023 right?

I agree that the compensation won’t be that high though, a third to use this year, plus change, and I’d take it. 

Ex Carolina man Trai Turner is still available to plug in for a season or two.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We’ll struggle to recover a comp pick with the balance of players likely coming in as well, even then you are not getting the pick until 2023 right?

I agree that the compensation won’t be that high though, a third to use this year, plus change, and I’d take it. 

Ex Carolina man Trai Turner is still available to plug in for a season or two.

I've heard Trai Turner is damaged goods.  Don't know that but heard that. 

13 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Scherff for Mosley. Make it happen.

Scherff for Marcus Maye.

They need interior OL, just about to draft a QB. And they have tons of cap space.

We need FS. Give Maye an extension, work on dumping Landon Collins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RWJ said:

I've heard Trai Turner is damaged goods.  Don't know that but heard that. 

He’s definitely struggled the last couple of seasons, it would appear.

I’d quite like a low risk flyer on Forrest Lamp. Maybe he’s still rehabbing, worth a low value shot.