Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

27 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Reading on twitter that Trump is losing all kinds of money in NY now. Hes going to **** around and be homeless after this. No more Trump Tower. 

There's some state-sponsored housing that he could move into.  He might have to share a room with Bubba, though.

• Haha 1

I would argue with AOC there are different factors here. 

I am an Evangelical Christian and the talk in the politically charged circles is that we are at a point where "lines in the sand need to be drawn" and "there has never been a more pro life President than Trump" and sprinkle that in with "the church is being persecuted".  I know of a few pastors that were in DC last week. 

Way back when Trump was nominated, I wondered if this was the point Evangelicals

break from the GOP.  Nope.  After Charlottesville happened and it became more clear the Trump was openly embracing white nationalists, I wondered if they would break.  Nope.  The inhuman response to COVID.  Nope.  False claims of a stolen election.  Nope. In my mind these people are misguided by the "lines in the sand" the Bible or sinister stooges being propped up and backed by dark PACs.  

I always feared there would be a time when Christians embrace the "Christian Sharia Law" stance... that is... "impose Christian viewpoint by the sword".  This is why people attacked Michelle Bachmann.  Pushing prolife politics is worth any means necessary.  This joining with the violent white nationalists is the line in the sand.  It has gone long enough to be called out. 

The one pastor I know that was there of preached on Sunday and gave 1 line about "I do not condone violence, I was supporting the most pro life Pfesident".  This is BS because you can't ignore the violence around Trump for 4 years.  It makes me angry because they use abortion as a justifiable excuse to this and it's difficult to attack an anti abortion conviction.  Pro life can't be a shield from what has happened under Trump... but they act like Trump is some idol and of course is Roe v Wade overturned yet?

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I would argue with AOC there are different factors here. 

I am an Evangelical Christian and the talk in the politically charged circles is that we are at a point where "lines in the sand need to be drawn" and "there has never been a more pro life President than Trump" and sprinkle that in with "the church is being persecuted".  I know of a few pastors that were in DC last week. 

Way back when Trump was nominated, I wondered if this was the point Evangelicals

break from the GOP.  Nope.  After Charlottesville happened and it became more clear the Trump was openly embracing white nationalists, I wondered if they would break.  Nope.  The inhuman response to COVID.  Nope.  False claims of a stolen election.  Nope. In my mind these people are misguided by the "lines in the sand" the Bible or sinister stooges being propped up and backed by dark PACs.  

I always feared there would be a time when Christians embrace the "Christian Sharia Law" stance... that is... "impose Christian viewpoint by the sword".  This is why people attacked Michelle Bachmann.  Pushing prolife politics is worth any means necessary.  This joining with the violent white nationalists is the line in the sand.  It has gone long enough to be called out. 

The one pastor I know that was there of preached on Sunday and gave 1 line about "I do not condone violence, I was supporting the most pro life Pfesident".  This is BS because you can't ignore the violence around Trump for 4 years.  It makes me angry because they use abortion as a justifiable excuse to this and it's difficult to attack an anti abortion conviction.  Pro life can't be a shield from what has happened under Trump... but they act like Trump is some idol and of course is Roe v Wade overturned yet?

Looks like some people forgot that All Lives Matter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Larry said:

Also wondering:  How many abortions you figure "the most pro life President ever" has paid for?  

Well at least he did us that favor. After Don, Jr., Eric, Ivanka, et. al., we have more than enough of his toxic offspring walking around.

• Like 1

The GOP has been trying to fix elections for as long as I have been alive, the idea that their voter base is suddenly up in arms about what they perceive to be as "voter fraud" is laughable.  For the last 30 years it has been pretty common knowledge that higher turnout favors Democrats just about every single time, so in 2020 what happened? Record high turnout and it ended up being the difference for Biden yet people are acting shocked?   I don't think there has been any point in my life time that Republicans outnumber Democrats or, if we forget actual registered partied affiliations "Lefter vs Righter?"  It has 100% always come down to turnout, yet in 2020 that accepted nugget of truth just seems to have gone out the window because Trump I guess is some kind of mythical "god" figure that could never be defeated???"  Give me a break.   

That attack on the capital wasn't in reaction to Democracy under fire, it was throwing Democracy into the fire. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

If the GOP is really concerned about voter fraud (all evidence to the contrary that meaningful fraud exists), I think Dems should be open to the idea of trading ID requirements in exchange for easy access to voting.

We already have Real ID for air travel.  We could gradually phase in ID system that will transition non-voter ID holders to a provisional ballots at designated polling places while allowing voter ID holders to vote at any polling place.  Over time, we could hope to emulate some European countries where they allow you to vote anywhere, even at restaurants during your lunch break, by just swiping your ID and voting.  

Combine that with measures like national holiday for election day, no-cause absentee voting, mandatory minimum standard for early voting days and hours, and minimum distribution of polling place and machine based on population, geographical density, and historical average wait time, then I think voter ID is worth considering as long as we have the provisional ballot as back up for non-ID holders.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bearrock said:

If the GOP is really concerned about voter fraud (all evidence to the contrary that meaningful fraud exists), I think Dems should be open to the idea of trading ID requirements in exchange for easy access to voting.

Your post assumes that the GOP acts in good faith and isn't just using "voter fraud" as a device to rally its voters.  They don't want to fix it, they want to use it. 

[I hate the post merging "feature"]

About 20,000 National Guardsmen planned for Washington, D.C., in swelling inauguration security effort

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2021/01/13/national-guard-inauguration-security/

Important question:  Have they been vetted for ties to or sympathies with the MAGA crowd?  Or are we just bringing in 20,000 ushers for a violent mob. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

DC is so heavily fortified now, I doubt they show up. It'll be some place like California or Michigan they target instead

I mean, they could reasonably assume that the security, be it police or national guard, won't stop them (again). 

• Like 2

I know this is a question I should already have the answer to but I don't.

Why is it unreasonable to ask for identification to vote?

Don't you need it to register to vote?

How do you prove who you are when you register if you don't have identification?

I'm just curious why it's a problem?

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

I know this is a question I should already have the answer to but I don't.

Why is it unreasonable to ask for identification to vote?

Don't you need it to register to vote?

How do you prove who you are when you register if you don't have identification?

I'm just curious why it's a problem?

Voting rights are not ID rights.

IDs cost money and have requirements. 

• Like 2