Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

27 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Important question:  Have they been vetted for ties to or sympathies with the MAGA crowd?  Or are we just bringing in 20,000 ushers for a violent mob. 

The npr politics podcast said this morning the army and secret service are working together to screen these people. 

they then went on about how awful that is that it has to be done. 

but to answer your question - supposedly. 

edit: actually I think it was one of their Up First segments not politics podcast. Basically a morning recap of all the latest news to start the day. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mooka said:

Voting rights are not ID rights.

IDs cost money and have requirements. 

If we made voter id's free would that then make it an acceptable ask?

Please don't attack me I'm not advocating for voter I'd just looking for a more thorough understanding of the problem. 

13 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I know this is a question I should already have the answer to but I don't.

Why is it unreasonable to ask for identification to vote?

Don't you need it to register to vote?

How do you prove who you are when you register if you don't have identification?

I'm just curious why it's a problem?

I'm going to save you the trouble by telling you something I learned - This is not the thread for this topic. 

on another note-

So relieved camp auschwitz is arrested. Keep clamping down and get them all. 

5 minutes ago, redskinss said:

How do you prove who you are when you register if you don't have identification?

The biggest issue policy wise is that voter ID laws are solution in search of a problem.  It is such a rare instance when voter ID law could've arguably prevented voter fraud, objectively, it does not make sense to devote the kind of funds and effort necessary to develop, enforce, and maintain voter ID law.

In practice, voter ID law has been shown to decrease turnout, disproportionately among minorities.  The particular reason may be wide and varying, but that's the practical effect, which is why those seeking to depress turnout want to do it via proxy through voter ID.  

Fact of the matter is that 2/3 of the union has some type of voter ID law in place.  Some sensible and moderate, some with nonsensical provisions (such as allowing one type of ID but not others without sensical distinction, other than the possession of such ID likely correlates to political affiliation).  We are also headed to a real ID era, where it will increasingly be used for many facets of life.  In my view, the cat is already out of the bag.  

It is also a losing narrative.  To the average person, it seems odd to require more verification to buy a pack of cigarettes than to be able to vote (of course voting is more important than being able to purchase tobacco.  I'm just discussing the perception issue).  So, let's trade the voter ID issue for easy access.  That's something average Americans can get behind and support.  And on balance, any depression in turnout by voter ID will likely be offset by easy access.  It's time to bring the act of voting into the 21st century.

(After typing all that, I realized I went off topic in this thread.  My apologies)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, redskinss said:

More than 10% of US Citizens do not have a government-issued ID.  

https://www.brennancenter.org/sites/default/files/legacy/d/download_file_39242.pdf

Guess who those folks tend to be.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Saw this guy’s name last week.  Guy looked like he had a sweet house.  He’s totally owning the libs now.

I want to make fun of him. 

(I consider suicide a serious issue but in this case I’m making an exception)

but in reality maybe he’s one of the few that actually understood the gravity of waging an insurrection and losing. So, I’ll just assume that and at least give him props compared to the ones that are now crying about how they didn’t mean it and their newfound lack of access to organic food from the federal prison system. 

and honestly this saves us time and money. So thanks bud. Hope your last thoughts were “well that was worth it” cause otherwise... well, hope it was worth it to you. 

• Like 1

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) -- Robert Packer, the Hampton Roads man pictured wearing a "Camp Auschwitz" sweatshirt during the U.S. Capitol insurrection, was released on his own recognizance after being arrested on Wednesday by the FBI.

'Camp Auschwitz' rioter from Hampton Roads released after arrest, not required to pay bond

• Sad 2

FBI arrests Jenny Cudd for rioting at Capitol

MIDLAND, Texas (KOSA) - CBS7 has learned the FBI has arrested Midlander Jenny Cudd for rioting at the Capitol last Wednesday.

After the riot, Cudd posted about it on her Facebook page, bragging that “we” tore down the doors to Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office.

She later backed that statement up, saying that she was referring to the group as a whole. She claimed she didn’t vandalize anything in the building.

“Do I think that it was wrong for us to go to the Capitol? Absolutely not. Do I think that it was wrong for me to go through an open door and get inside of the Capitol? No I don’t. I didn’t break any laws, I didn’t do anything unlawful, and I think that’s probably why the FBI and the law enforcement have not contacted me,” said Cudd in an interview with CBS7.

Several times, Cudd told CBS7 she was proud of what she did and that she’d do it again.

She also said she had gotten several death threats at her florist shop – Becky’s Flowers - after the riot.

Plus, she said, hundreds of people had gone online and given the shop bad reviews.

Click on the link for the full article

46 minutes ago, redskinss said:

If we made voter id's free would that then make it an acceptable ask?

Please don't attack me I'm not advocating for voter I'd just looking for a more thorough understanding of the problem. 

If I were a member of Congress looking to improve the voting systems of America I'd tell the honorable cretins from the GOP (A Wholly Owned Trump Subsidiary) that in the spirit of compromise, I'd be willing to require voter ID if:

1.The IDs were free and readily available.

2. The Voting Rights Act of 1965 were enforced again. 

They'd NEVER go for that. It's all about the suppression for them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 1/10/2021 at 8:04 PM, China said:

Apparently up to now they weren't armed.

Pentagon authorizes arming of National Guard members supporting Capitol security

National Guard members supporting US Capitol security in Washington, DC, ahead of Inauguration Day will be armed, the Department of Defense announced Tuesday.

The decision comes as law enforcement in the nation's capital and around the country brace for more extremist violence after the deadly insurrection at the US Capitol last week. The first wave of National Guard troops who arrived at the Capitol were unarmed, and the Army has been reviewing whether National Guardsmen should be armed for the inauguration with lethal or nonlethal weapons.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

'Camp Auschwitz' rioter from Hampton Roads released after arrest, not required to pay bond

This is wrong. They need to be held in jail until trial. How is releasing on own recognizance setting an example?

16 minutes ago, PCS said:

Too little too late you asshole.

• Like 3

'I am not a terrorist': Retired Navy SEAL speaks after Capitol siege

A retired U.S. Navy SEAL is facing questions from the FBI after boasting in a Facebook video about "breaching the Capitol" last Wednesday after traveling to Washington to join a rally for President Donald Trump, an assault he said in the video that he hoped would ignite a "positive revolution."

The video shows Adam Newbold, 45, from Lisbon, Ohio, who the Navy confirmed is a retired reserve SEAL special warfare operator, in a car on his return home from Washington, telling his Facebook followers that he was "proud" of the assault on the U.S. Capitol building earlier that day.

Newbold, in the video, seeks to defend the actions of those who broke into the Capitol by falsely insisting that the only destruction occurred as the rioters tried to enter the building, and also incorrectly says that nothing was vandalized.

• Sad 1