Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

What is the 14th Amendment? Congress mulls legislation to remove those who 'engaged in insurrection'

Amid the continuing fallout from last week’s deadly siege on the U.S. Capitol, Democrats are forging ahead with legislation to remove Republican lawmakers for inciting the riot.

While there has been focus on President Trump’s possible impeachment and the use of the 25th Amendment to remove him from office, some House Democrats say they will invoke the 14th Amendment to call for the removal of Trump and congressional Republicans who helped incite the insurrection through their push to invalidate the results of the 2020 presidential election.

“If we allow insurrection against the United States with impunity, with no accountability, we are inviting it to happen again,” Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., said on ABC’s “This Week With George Stephanopoulos” Sunday.

Section 3 of the 14th Amendment says no elected official “shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion”:

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

Rep. Cori Bush, D-Mo., on Monday introduced legislation seeking to expel Republican members of Congress whose challenge to the electoral results helped incite the mob at the Capitol.

According to Bush’s proposal, lawmakers “who sought to overturn the 2020 Presidential election violated their oath of office to uphold the Constitution” and should face sanctions, including removal.

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China
  • Thanks 1

Scott Atlas, controversial former Trump adviser, deletes Twitter account

Scott Atlas, the radiologist who served for much of 2020 as President Trump’s most controversial coronavirus adviser, deleted his Twitter account this week, he confirmed to STAT, apparently in response to the social media site’s removal of many accounts following the Jan. 6 Capitol riot.

“In my view, Twitter has become a destructive place that mainly inflames extreme thinking and disseminates distortions, rather than elucidating factual information and respectful, civilized discussion,” Atlas said in an email.

Atlas deleted his account amid Twitter’s purge of users it says spread misinformation following the riot at the Capitol on Jan. 6. Tuesday, Twitter said in a blog post that it had suspended more than 70,000 accounts “primarily dedicated to sharing QAnon content.” It said in many cases multiple accounts were held by a single person. This, the company said, would mean some people’s follower counts would decrease. “In some cases, these actions may have resulted in follower count changes in the thousands,” Twitter wrote.

Click on the link for the full article

Atlas is right when he says “Twitter has become a destructive place that mainly inflames extreme thinking and disseminates distortions”. On Twitter radical views trend and the more moderate majority barely exists.  It amplifies the periphery by design (intentional or otherwise).  

He’s just not one of the people that should be making this argument being that he himself represents extreme positions.  The guy worsened a pandemic for political reasons.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Destino said:

Atlas is right when he says “Twitter has become a destructive place that mainly inflames extreme thinking and disseminates distortions”. On Twitter radical views trend and the more moderate majority barely exists.  It’s amplifies the periphery by design (intentional or otherwise).  

He’s just not one of the people that should be making this argument being that he himself represent extreme positions.  The guy worsened a pandemic for political reasons.  

Was discussing this with my brother today...

I’ve abandoned the idea that Trump et al mismanaged or botched the COVID response.  The anti-mask/Hydrochloroquine angle was designed to cause as much suffering and chaos as possible leading up to and past the election...and that absolutely includes his “base”.  With the complete recognition that a broken, diseased and despairing populace would be much more receptive to authoritarian rule.

Convince me otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Fox News Personalities that Amplified Big Lie of ‘Stolen Election’ Are Complicit in the Deadly Capitol Riot

OPINION

Politicians like President Donald Trump and Senators Josh Hawley and Ted Cruz are rightfully being condemned for their roles in inciting the violence in the Capitol last week. Five people are dead because they lied to their supporters about Trump losing the 2020 election, and lied that Congress had any ability to change that.

In the wake of the horrific spectacle, another group bears responsibility: Fox News hosts and personalities who were also complicit in pushing the reckless lie that the 2020 election was fraudulent.

Even more chilling footage has emerged from the deadly insurrection at the Capitol by Trump supporters on Wednesday. Based on a mountain of evidence, from eyewitness reports to countless videos, the motivation of the attack is clear: the rioters fervently believed the election was stolen. They believed that Trump won re-election, in a landslide as he has repeatedly claimed and that Congress was on the verge of certifying a stolen election.

That belief is wrong. It is clearly false. Attempts to prove it have been shot down in court and sane leaders in the Republican Party have refused to embrace it.

But these beliefs did not manifest in a vacuum. There is a clear reason for them. Not only has President Trump and many members of Congress repeatedly lied that there is evidence of a stolen election, but those lies were being embraced, and sometimes repeated explicitly, by voices on the most-watched cable news network in America.

Anyone who watched a few hours of Fox News since November 3rd has heard a steady drumbeat of coverage suggesting that the 2020 election was fraudulent. This was mostly presented on prime time opinion programs and Fox & Friends, but the same idea was also presented by many guests on news programs.

In the weeks that followed the election results, Fox viewers were left confused by competing reports. Fox News had called the election for Biden, but its most-watched hosts were questioning it. Maria Bartiromo, for example, was beating the drum of election fraud, only to have her claims thoroughly debunked a few hours later by news anchor Eric Shawn.

Click on the link for more

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I’ve abandoned the idea that Trump et al mismanaged or botched the COVID response.  The anti-mask/Hydrochloroquine angle was designed to cause as much suffering and chaos as possible leading up to and past the election...and that absolutely includes his “base”.  With the complete recognition that a broken, diseased and despairing populace would be much more receptive to authoritarian rule.

Convince me otherwise.

Akums razor:  Whats more likely?  They planned this or they just were mind mindbogglingly incompetent?  As exhibit A I submit:

gettyimages-1284440743-fc181cc416cf9f2ea9f466df2bab0592843bc7b8-s800-c85.jpg.26a6da0e84f2fc4f36f0f9cb16742473.jpg

I've had to hear too many republican idiots claim this man plays six dimensional chess when all he does is occasionally swallow checkers.  Can we please not start thinking he's capable of six dimensional chess here?

10 minutes ago, tshile said:

So how successful does the first “the president told us the country was being stolen by foreigners” legal defense go?

All the way to Leavenworth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Arizona Reps. Andy Biggs and Paul Gosar implicated by activist in Capitol insurrection

There is more than a little irony in a situation when a couple of guys who spread conspiracy theories about election fraud are implicated in what they’ll call a conspiracy theory.

A little bit of “you reap what you sow.”

A little bit of “what goes around comes around.”

A little bit of “karma is a b****.”

The right-wing political activist Ali Alexander says that Arizona Reps. Paul Gosar and Andy Biggs worked with him to plan pro-Trump rallies, including the one that ended with an attack on the Capitol.

At the time the mob was making its move on Wednesday, Alexander, a national “Stop the Steal” organizer, posted a video of himself saying, “I don't disavow this. I do not denounce this.”

Click on the link for more

22 minutes ago, clietas said:

Smash the entire Republican propaganda machine. Modern version of the Fairness Doctrine prolly isn't enough anymore but its a good place to start. 

I’ve been thinking about this issue for some time now, how do we stem the misinformation and still adhere to the 1st amendment?  Of course, I’ve just spun my wheels to no avail...

The one pretty random thought I had was a journalist association (with some power) that one has to be a member of to release articles.  Anyone can join, but anyone can also be removed.  This was mostly in response to all the BS articles on FB obviously, and doesn’t address Right Wing TV/Radio....

My wife has a couple of friends that are smart ladies, aren’t tied to Trump (at least one isn’t even a conservative), yet they can’t even agree on sources - NYT/WaPo are seen as liberal, and even AP/Reuters/BBC are question marks in their books.

Tangentially, my son has a social studies assignment today that in effect said “with liberal media (NYT/CNN) calling for censorship of Right Wing journalists like Tucker Carlson...” and went on to ask about free speech rights.  My 8th grader tore the assignment a new one.  Mentioned Carlson not being a journalist (Carlson’s own words) and talked about Trump’s incitement of insurrection... it was beautiful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@TryTheBeal!  I'll meet you halfway: its possible...in particular if we don't ascribe Trump as the mastermind but rather someone like Kushner.  Still tho, I'm skeptical.

Honestly when I look at what happened it always came down to this: he was given choices that amounted to

(a) the safe science is to do X which will likely work, but will definitely hurt (economically) in the short term (maybe even thru the election)

or

(b) we can gamble and do Y and hope it works and it might get us out of this faster and with less pain.

He always took the gamble (hydroxy, Atlas and his dumb ass immunity, etc), oh not because he cared about saving lives, but rather he wanted the economy to get out of the ****ter fast.  Maybe the one decision that stands out here as novel is the no mask, but I think that was less about economy and more a decision made out of his own vanity.  Still tho, once the gambles didn't work, he couldn't back down from the positions...just not in his psyche to admit he's wrong.

No long term plan, just instant gut decisions made by a moron that hoped high risk gambles would pay off and work making him look like a superstar.   Imagine Trump as Mike McCarthy doing the fake punt on the 20 over and over and over again....it only has to work once for him to claim to be a genius.

Still tho...as I said, I'll meet you half way.  There might have been a plan once things got out of control (e.g. in the fall).

• Like 1

@Jabbyrwock Remember the reporting that during the pandemic meeting, and they were considering not taking any (real?) action, Kushner was told something along the lines of “our own people are starting to be affected”?  I could see them deciding 1) it might work out for them (particularly as reporting showed minorities dying at higher rates than most), and 2) they owned the media and the cult and so could spin away the carnage (which it seems they did with a great deal of success).

Not much 3D chess... more so just operating on the info they had with no scruples, which has mostly been their modus operandi, no?

Edit: to be fair though, the whole situation being all about the economy is perfectly fitting for the Prez and republicans in general

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@Jabbyrwock Remember the reporting that during the pandemic meeting, and they were considering not taking any (real?) action, Kushner was told something along the lines of “our own people are starting to be affected”?  I could see them deciding 1) it might work out for them (particularly as reporting showed minorities dying at higher rates than most), and 2) they owned the media and the cult and so could spin away the carnage (which it seems they did with a great deal of success).

Not much 3D chess... more so just operating on the info they had with no scruples, which has mostly been their modus operandi, no?

Agreed.  This is exactly why I mentioned Kushner in my second post and moved my original position from a solid "they were just stupid" to "its possible".  Still tho...gonna need a bit more evidence to move my position to "its likely".

I will freely admit bias here: when I'm being serious and not flippant I try very hard to never ascribe to malicious undertakings what can be explained equally well by ignorance and stupidity.

• Like 1

In a live webcast Tuesday evening, Rep. Mikie Sherrill, D-11, made a startling claim that other members of Congress led groups of people through the Capitol Building on a "reconnaissance" mission one day before the riot that laid a deadly siege on the government's legislative branch.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Convince me otherwise.

I think a willingness to sacrifice hundreds of thousands of people to keep economic numbers up is a better fit for Trumps brand.  I think the mask thing was a combination of Trumps own vanity and his viewing masks as a reminder of the pandemic.  I think it bothered him to see people wearing them because he viewed Covid as a personal enemy harming his re-election chances.  Everything to Trump is ultimately about himself.  

The “cures” he claimed to have found just shows how gullible Trumps vanity makes him.  He’ll believe anything he reads if he wants it to be true.  

Ultimately we’re both in agreement that Trump is a bad person and worsened a pandemic for bad reasons.  that’s good enough for me.

• Like 7