Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

26 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

I thought you might enjoy seeing a little of TH while at ODU. He is the same guy today. And -- if you don't want to see this stuff, let me know, and I will delete it. Cheers!

https://www.ncaa.com/video/football/2021-01-16/di-fcs-taylor-heinicke-player-package

He looks about 10-15 pounds smaller in this. I can definitely see why teams shy'd away from drafting him. I'm also convinced that this is really the sole reason why he hasn't gotten NFL looks besides Scott Turner because he's a talented player. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

59 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

And -- if you don't want to see this stuff, let me know, and I will delete it.

Dude it's a thread dedicated to hardcore, overzealous, Heinicke Fans. (And on a site called "Extreme") ; You should never have to delete, or even apologize for anything related to the Heinster, posted in this thread !

Let yourself go !

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

He looks about 10-15 pounds smaller in this. I can definitely see why teams shy'd away from drafting him. I'm also convinced that this is really the sole reason why he hasn't gotten NFL looks besides Scott Turner because he's a talented player. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a reason, but I doubt that every single team passed him by for 7 rounds just because he was on the smaller side. There are usually multiple factors that go into a guy not getting drafted. 

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

If his receivers helped him out a bit more, I think you're singing a different tune if Cam and Steven Sims helped him out a bit.  The first big drop would have been a huge play a real tone setter because it may have been a touchdown if not a huge chunk of yardage on the first drive.  Secondly, Steve Sums dropped an almost sure TD pass around the 5 yard line.  Get a legit #2 receiver and I think we win that game.

Again, literally every single QB has guys drop balls pretty much every game. You can't just pull out one QB and try to erase those for him. You either erase them for every QB (so every QB would look much better in general) or you just allow for the fact that guys are going to drop balls at times. 

Edited by mistertim

14 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a reason, but I doubt that every single team passed him by for 7 rounds just because he was on the smaller side. There are usually multiple factors that go into a guy not getting drafted. 

While that's true there are a lot of factors when it comes to why a QB isn't drafted, I'd bet there are normally quite a few things that are piled up together. Heinicke in this video looks like he has the height of Kyler Murray and weighs about 20 pounds less. I'm just saying that's what it looks like to me. It's not just a negative, it's a huge negative and that alone probably scared teams to even really dig into him. I think I read that Scott Turner was the only one to even attend his pro-day. That's kind of sad lol. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

Have you seen some of the posts in this thread? Tons of Brady comparisons, people talking about how they will "never forget that game" vs the Bucs...as if he went out and pulled a Matt Flynn or something. It's a bit nutty.

I only saw that you put the word "legendary" in quotes lol...did someone say that? (and for the record, only read like the last three or four posts)

Edited by Califan007
One too many "lols"...shocking, I know.
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I only saw that you put the word "legendary" in quotes lol...did someone say that? (and for the record, only read like the last three or four posts)

Really, any negative comments, or even any 'criticism', about the legendary Heinicke, or even questioning his greatness, should not be posted in this thread.

Those are for another thread, entirely.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

While that's true there are a lot of factors when it comes to why a QB isn't drafted, I'd bet there are normally quite a few things that are piled up together. Heinicke in this video looks like he has the height of Kyler Murray and weighs about 20 pounds less. I'm just saying that's what it looks like to me. It's not just a negative, it's a huge negative and that alone probably scared teams to even really dig into him. I think I read that Scott Turner was the only one to even attend his pro-day. That's kind of sad lol. 

I think there are probably three big things that made teams not pay a bunch of attention to him. His size, his school, and his lack of top physical traits.

If you're a small school QB you usually need to have some top physical traits (generally arm strength along with size/running ability) to make up for it in order to get lots of interest from scouts.

Because then you're a "high upside" guy who is at a small school, playing against inferior talent...but you have the physical traits so if you can be coached up it could be worth it to draft you.

Heinicke was small, came from a small school, and had pretty mediocre traits (mobility is pretty good, but not much of an arm). Unfortunately that's not often going to get a lot of looks from scouts. Most often those guys are either late rounders with upside or UDFAs, unless they're guys with elite physical traits...then they can vault up the boards (Flacco, Wentz in the past, Lance this year).

5 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

if Cam and Steven Sims helped him out a bit. 

Let's not forget how awful our receivers are.  We have a legit #1, then a bunch of guys who don't belong in the league.

Heineke passed the eye test.  Give him a 16 game sample instead of 5 quarters, give him another starting WR, and if he stays healthy we will see results. 

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Let's not forget how awful our receivers are.  We have a legit #1, then a bunch of guys who don't belong in the league.

Heineke passed the eye test.  Give him a 16 game sample instead of 5 quarters, give him another starting WR, and if he stays healthy we will see results. 

Heinicke has the brain and the drive of a good NFL QB, and his physical traits are decent, just not enough to overcome a lack of mental ones, which isn't a problem for him. In a good system, the only thing holding him back would be his durability. To me, that's worth the gamble when we're not currently a QB away from the Super Bowl. 

But absolutely draft someone to push TH and provide hope for the future. Ideally, TH balls out and we don't need to field a rookie while the rest of the team coalesces. This would be a favorable situation to be in! 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Tedskins 21 said:

He seemed to love throwing to Cam Sims, I assume because of his size and leaping ability.  Get my man Allen Robinson. He comes down with all those balls Cam dropped.  Also need to snag a stud RB to help AG.  Pound the rock to help protect Taylor and keep the D fresh.

Why in the world would Allen Robinson want to come here, when he's leaving his current team with a similarly terrible QB situation?  He's not coming here unless we significantly upgrade at QB.  No free agent WR is going to come here with our current QB situation.  We'd have to overpay just to have a shot.  Robinson will probably sign with a contender with an above average QB.  Curtis Samuel will also most likely sign with a contender.  We'll probably end up with TY Hilton, or Juju Smith-Schuster.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, samy316 said:

Why in the world would Allen Robinson want to come here, when he's leaving his current team with a similarly terrible QB situation?  He's not coming here unless we significantly upgrade at QB.  No free agent WR is going to come here with our current QB situation.  We'd have to overpay just to have a shot.  Robinson will probably sign with a contender with an above average QB.  Curtis Samuel will also most likely sign with a contender.  We'll probably end up with TY Hilton, or Juju Smith-Schuster.

Just draft a WR. Develop our own receivers and then pay them when the time comes. We struck gold with TM, we can do it again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tedskins 21 said:

He seemed to love throwing to Cam Sims, I assume because of his size and leaping ability.  Get my man Allen Robinson. He comes down with all those balls Cam dropped.  Also need to snag a stud RB to help AG.  Pound the rock to help protect Taylor and keep the D fresh.

While I doubt we land Robinson for various reasons, I agree with the premise that we should put some focus on the run game to help the qb and D.  Fan of Gibson, but he could use help - from another back, but from upgrading the left side if possible.  There’s room to grow in pass pro as well.   

As for TH, he faced a lot of cover 3 and typical Todd Bowles blitzing, which might have played into TH’s strengths.  He threw some dimes though - the two corner routes to S. Sims were beautifully thrown.  Nice to see when you wonder if his not-so-great arm strength can get the ball to the sidelines.   

2 hours ago, samy316 said:

My initial reaction was the same as yours.  With that said, with mostly poor qb play, and relatively unproductive receivers beyond McLaurin, this team won their division and came pretty close to surviving the buzz saw that was TB.  Obviously there are some caveats there, and purely from a roster standpoint (especially on the qb front), there are more attractive teams.  Yet... with the (apparent) culture change/improvement, respected coach, the seeming willingness to spend pretty big on receiver, the youth of the roster, the foundation of a pretty solid OL and very good dline, and having a stud receiver opposite... it’s possible he appreciates the trajectory and potential.  

Just me thinking out loud of course, as I said in my first response, I’m very doubtful WFT lands him.  

5 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Fan of Gibson, but he could use help - from another back, but from upgrading the left side if possible.  There’s room to grow in pass pro as well.  

I've been a big fan of Najee Harris with the 19th pick.  He may very well be BPA and would make a huge difference for us by giving us maybe the best 1-2 punch in the league when paired with Gibson.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, samy316 said:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing and I've mentioned it before. No big name FA WR is going to come here unless all he cares about is a fat payday, and I don't think the new FO is the type to just throw money at guys to entice them.

One thing a big time FA WR is going to look at immediately on any potential team is the QB situation. He looks at WFT and sees 3 UDFAs (one who's started 1 game, one who's still rehabbing from a major injury, and the last who couldn't even crack the #2 spot when we were so thin we were bringing guys in off the street) and 1 gimpy Alex Smith...and he says "pass" and moves on. 

55 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Heineken is gonna regret that pitch refusal. Once Heineckizzle starts catching bodies out here that price is gonna skyrocket

Or some creative from a competitor flips the script on Heineken and signs Heinecke. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/19/2021 at 4:41 PM, Burgundy Yoda said:

Heinke is small. What scares me is his size combined with his game which very much looked like its athletic and heavily dependent on fast processing.

3 hours ago, Stefanskins said:

was it really??...seriously?...because Colt had 5000 yards in a June Jones Rainbow Warrior  offense...TH had 770 yrds in 1 game...

Colt averaged more yards per season than Heinicke in college.

CB at Hawaii: 14,193 passing yards in 3 seasons (with 4,731 average yards per season), 131 TDs

TH at ODU: 14,959 passing yards in 4 seasons (with 3,739 average yards per season), 132 TDs

• Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 4:41 PM, Burgundy Yoda said:

he has the height of Kyler Murray and weighs about 20 pounds less. 

I wonder how much of this can be corrected if he undergoes a full NFL workout/training regimen. Last year, he was training to be in the shape of math major. His endurance and strength should be better come September. I'd be surprised if he wasn't 5-10 pounds heavier. I mean look at how much baby fat Haskins got rid of.

This is Hienicke's last and probably only shot to prove the world wrong. I'd imagine he will do everything he can to prepare.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1