Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

24 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

I would keep Heinicke and cut Allen because I am a Heinicke fan and have been since watching him for four years at ODU. He throws a good ball, is accurate, knows his offense, is quick with his reads/progression and puts his wheels to good use when he needs to. He is a team guy that has the respect of his team mates. On top of that, he is simply a baller who has "it", whatever "it" is.

Allen isnt really cut-worthy, he's at least a solid backup. Plus who is going to be pushing your boy through camp?

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

That's tough because Allen is coming off of a pretty major injury but if forced to choose I'd go with Allen, because he's more proven. He's not great but he's decent and he's a relatively known commodity after starting 17 games over the past two seasons, whereas Heinicke has a tiny sample size of 2 starts over the last 3 seasons (one bad, one good) and that's almost impossible to extrapolate anything from. 

When we drafted Terry McLaurin most considered it a little bit of a reach because he was a special teams standout who had a chance at becoming a number 2 or number 3 receiver.

After the opening day game against the eagles there was a pretty good consensus that we had struck gold and got a huge steal and terry was most likely going to be a stud.

If you had to pick one guy to cut after that game, either McLaurin or Paul Richardson who would you have picked?

I get the sample size argument I really do, but when that sample shows flashes of things you only see the top franchise quarterbacks do as opposed to a larger sample of mediocre to slightly above average Sometimes you gotta just take a chance and see what you got with the guy who hasn't had as many chances to show us what he is. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Allen isnt really cut-worthy, he's at least a solid backup. Plus who is going to be pushing your boy through camp?

The question was, who do you keep and who do you cut. Keeping both was not an option.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, redskinss said:

When we drafted Terry McLaurin most considered it a little bit of a reach because he was a special teams standout who had a chance at becoming a number 2 or number 3 receiver.

After the opening day game against the eagles there was a pretty good consensus that we had struck gold and got a huge steal and terry was most likely going to be a stud.

If you had to pick one guy to cut after that game, either McLaurin or Paul Richardson who would you have picked?

I get the sample size argument I really do, but when that sample shows flashes of things you only see the top franchise quarterbacks do as opposed to a larger sample of mediocre to slightly above average Sometimes you gotta just take a chance and see what you got with the guy who hasn't had as many chances to show us what he is. 

I totally get the argument, but a couple of things:

As far as Terry is concerned, we had been hearing all spring and summer about just how damn good he looked and how he was making pretty much every DB he went up against in camp look foolish. So it wasn't really out of the blue when he showed up big in his first game. And he also wasn't a guy who had been cut by around to 4 or 5 different teams and finally landed here and had one standout game.

As far as showing flashes, I think the argument could be made that Allen showed flashes as well during his games last season. He made some really good plays. Does that mean he's a top QB? No. I think he's decent but not special.

But my point is that Heinicke wasn't the only one who showed skill and potential but we're focusing on him because he was such an unknown and it was a playoff game and he came in off the street; he's an easy guy and story to root for. It was an impressive game, but if I'm picking one QB and I have two who showed flashes of good play, I'm going to be more inclined to go with the guy who has more tape and sample size as opposed to the guy who only started a single game.

Maybe that's more "safe" but again, we're talking about picking one QB and only one. My inclination would be to keep both, and that's what we're doing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

The question was, who do you keep and who do you cut. Keeping both was not an option.

Oh I missed that question lol. I thought you were just saying you'd cut Allen out of nowhere. (I scroll bottom to top on my phone, probably not a bright idea at times)

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Haha 2

It is March. Even if we draft a QB, trade for one or sign a top-tier FA at QB, why is anyone talking about cutting a QB? In training camp, we want the best four so we would not cut one till late August . If we don't make any move at QB, we probably keep both.

8 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

It is March. Even if we draft a QB, trade for one or sign a top-tier FA at QB, why is anyone talking about cutting a QB? In training camp, we want the best four so we would not cut one till late August . If we don't make any move at QB, we probably keep both.

Because Heinicke is so good that he can simultaneously be QB1, 2, and 3. He can partition his greatness into 3 separate yet fully functional QBs within his own single brain and body.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Because Heinicke is so good that he can simultaneously be QB1, 2, and 3. He can partition his greatness into 3 separate yet fully functional QBs within his own single brain and body.

Any QB's injury history would worry me in this case though I guess he could be cloned. If I recall though cloned players for the WFT cost 10x on the cap (Mara Rule 2.0), though.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I started climbing into windows of my own house when I was about 6. I even stopped locking my front door because I was tired of it and I generally live in fairly bad areas. Not 1 time have I hurt myself. Not once. Even hammer drunk.

Yeah, but you weren't terrified and running from mistertim at the time either........🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

11 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

It was a question along the lines of Kiss, Marry, or Kill. Jeebus, people lol...

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

This question for everyone/anyone ; especially those who are not fans of Heinicke.

If you had to choose between Kyle Allen and Taylor Heinicke ; 

and no other QB's ;

and you had to keep one, and cut the other ;

and you had to do it now...

Which one would you keep ?

And why ?

I have doubts over the ability of either to stay healthy for 16 games.

This is a ridiculous question.  Obviously you keep both and start the one who wins the competition. 

If you want to bring in a third QB to compete too, that's fine.  As long as it's understood that the starter will be the one who Rivera thinks gives the the best chance to win.  We can't have any more of Dan Snyder naming RG3/Haskins the starter over a more-qualified QB.

1 hour ago, Tsailand said:

This is a ridiculous question.  Obviously you keep both and start the one who wins the competition. 

It was supposed to be purely hypothetical, and was not based in reality, at all whatsoever

Under no circumstances, do I see any way that we cut one of them, this early. Unless one of them Guices up, somehow.

The purpose of the hypothetical question, was to simply gauge how people currently feel about each quarterback versus the other.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Maybe Riverboat has one of his gut feels on Taylor Heinicke and has decided to ride or die with him in 2021 with Kyle Allen as a proven backup and a yet to be drafted developmental (3rd round or later) qb manning the cleanup spot. 

I get the feeling from Rivera's and the FO's actions and statements that they see potential in Heinicke and liked what he did against TB, but they're definitely not thinking he's "the guy", especially with such a limited sample size. Otherwise they wouldn't be pretty openly shopping for an upgrade at the position.

I think we're going to have another QB on the roster when camps roll around, whether FA or trade. However, if we end up with Allen and Heinicke as our main guys, I wouldn't assume Heinicke would have the starting spot. Allen played pretty well in his 4 games before he got injured.

Rivera also has history with Allen and gave up a draft pick to bring him in and has been pretty consistent in his praise of him. Unless Heinicke absolutely wows in camp and/or Allen isn't fully recovered from his injury, getting the starting job could be an uphill battle for TH.

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I started climbing into windows of my own house when I was about 6. I even stopped locking my front door because I was tired of it and I generally live in fairly bad areas. Not 1 time have I hurt myself. Not once. Even hammer drunk.

You just don't remember it.

• Haha 1

Regarding Taylor Heinicke, I hope his last season (eg. 5 quarters to be specific) doesn't turn out to be like Nick Foles's crazy post-season at the Eagles, where he regressed back to being a nobody in subsequent years.

I'm a biased TH fan, but a realistic R@dskins Fan as well.

1 hour ago, petey hodge said:

Regarding Taylor Heinicke, I hope his last season (eg. 5 quarters to be specific) doesn't turn out to be like Nick Foles's crazy post-season at the Eagles, where he regressed back to being a nobody in subsequent years.

Wasn't Nick Files postseason kind of man until the Super Bowl?  Not looking up his stats right now, so could be forgetting.  Eagles Defense and o-line were great.

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I started climbing into windows of my own house when I was about 6 ... Not 1 time have I hurt myself. Not once. Even hammer drunk.

2 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

You just don't remember it.

image.gif.7d8d93f5ecaa33e3ea2842c87b3fd6be.gif

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, petey hodge said:

Keep the faith, baby! We have both seen enough of TH to know that regression is not in his DNA. He could get a ding or two along the way. Someone either picked up as a FA or drafted could possibly beat him out (ok, I don't really believe that, but maybe). But regression -- uh uh -- not happening.

• Like 1