Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I bowled a 290 once. If I did that a whole bunch of times instead of once then I'd be one of the best bowlers in the world.

Conclusion: everyone should be talking about how I'm potentially one of the best bowlers in the world.

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Both would rank among the best of the league with enough qualifying snaps

Hmmm who is that first QB in the "most accurate" tweet?  I see Rodgers and Brady and Mahomes and Watson.  Who's #8 in purple, how did he get in the picture?

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Do you believe it means that Heinicke is as good as Rodgers, better than Brees, and better than Mahomes?

If not, why is it interesting?

No, it's interesting that he could post that kind of QBR against the Tampa defensive.

Just now, HigSkin said:

No, it's interesting that he could post that kind of QBR against the Tampa defensive.

Why? TB basically had zero film on him and zero clue how the offense would be run with him playing so they probably didn't have much of a game plan.

That doesn't mean that Heinicke didn't play well, but it does give an advantage and we've seen it happen many times in the past when new guys come in. That's why most people usually say "He played well but let's wait and see what happens after teams have some film on him".

But it seems some people don't feel that the "wait and see" approach applies to Heinicke The Great.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Why? TB basically had zero film on him and zero clue how the offense would be run with him playing so they probably didn't have much of a game plan.

That doesn't mean that Heinicke didn't play well, but it does give an advantage and we've seen it happen many times in the past when new guys come in. That's why most people usually say "He played well but let's wait and see what happens after teams have some film on him".

But it seems some people don't feel that the "wait and see" approach applies to Heinicke The Great.

conversely (playing devil's advocate), as you are well aware of, Heinicke hadn't been in the league since 2018, was signed to the Redskins in early December while he was studying for finals, wasn't signed to the active roster until December 19th, only had a week taking starter snaps in practice and started in a playoff game against the 6th ranked defense in the league and still played lights out...almost pulled off an upset...and I'd argue that Tampa had film (not basically zero or clue how the offense would run) on Heinicke and knew what to expect to a certain degree...Arians, “I kind of kept preaching at them, this kid can run, he can do a lot of things...We knew he was going to scramble around [and] there was going to be bootlegs and scrambles. We were really hoping for Alex because we knew that part of the game wasn’t going to be in there."...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right, they were hoping for Alex because they knew how he played, could game plan for him, and knew his limitations. They didn't really know much about Heinicke or how our offense would be run with him, outside of Arians saying he was more mobile than Alex. 

And what other film did they have on Heinicke? He's literally only started one other game in his entire career and that was in 2018 for a different team. The only other film would be 1 quarter of play, which isn't exactly enough to come up with a full gameplan from. 

I said that I wasn't saying Heinicke didn't play well. But we also have to realize that a defense not really knowing what to expect from a QB is a pretty big advantage.

Also...he played well. But I wouldn't call it "lights out". He had 1 TD and 1 INT, ran for a TD, had a rating of 78.4, and a QBR of 64.3. He played well, but let's not pretend like he went out and pulled a Matt Flynn or something and threw for 6 TDs.

Edited by mistertim

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I'm not one of those that is advocating for naming him starter.  To the eyes, he feels like a tier 2 QB but that's why competition in camp will settle it.  It's surprising (RR said the same post game) he had the success he did and not because nobody had tape on him.  By your measurement, Steven Montez would have had good game stats given nobody had any tape on him either.  LOL  Bottom line is the kid has talent, to what degree game to game, nobody knows.

Question:

You have one choice and one choice only without the use of the whomever wins in camp deal. Who's your starter next year?

Alex Smith

Marcus Mariota

Rookie from draft

Taylor Heinykee

Kyle Allen

My vote is for Taylor.....I like underdog stories, dynamic to watch, his fade to the end zone on second read impressed me. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I said that I wasn't saying Heinicke didn't play well.

oh I know

26 minutes ago, mistertim said:

And what other film did they have on Heinicke?

During the 2018 season he appeared in six games with the Panthers 

27 minutes ago, mistertim said:

But we also have to realize that a defense not really knowing what to expect from a QB is a pretty big advantage.

agreed, and again conversely, the Bowles coached number 6 defense in the NFL were playing against an UDFA who was a back up in the XFL...so, even though they didn't have a lot of game tape (which isn't the end all be all..eg. all the film opposing Ds have on Brady, Aaron, Brees, etc.etc.)  I think anyone going into this playoff game would have thought/bet that it was actually the Bucs who had the big advantage...what no one expected or could qualify/quantify was Heinicke being a gamer...

anyhoo...just being a contrarian so I have more to read in this thread : ) HTTR!!!

9 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

his fade to the end zone on second read impressed me.

absolute DIME!!! timing, touch, placement

7 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

During the 2018 season he appeared in six games with the Panthers 

Oh come on, man. In each one of those games (except the one where he started vs Atlanta) he literally threw one pass. You can't possibly say going in and throwing one pass during a game actually counts as "game tape".

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/2565969/type/nfl/year/2018

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Oh come on, man. In each one of those games (except the one where he started vs Atlanta) he literally threw one pass. You can't possibly say going in and throwing one pass during a game actually counts as "game tape".

Sooooo.....your not a fan of him being the starting QB?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

well, I mean, strictly speaking o_0...

I'll admit that I just read he appeared in 6 games....lol didn't realize it was just one pass....but now we are just arguing semantics...0_o...j/k

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2021 at 2:38 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

Taylor Heinicke is the only player, other than Tom Brady, since 1950, drafted in the sixth round or later, including undrafted free agent signees, with 300 or more pass yards and a rush TD in their first playoff start

I think he’s way closer to Timmy Smith than Shady Brady, who, as much as I can’t stand him, (grudgingly) is a damn good QB. As others have said, he benefited a lot from a lack of film and playing a style completely the opposite of Smith. He’s a smart guy with a good football IQ, but I’ll need to see him in the middle of next season after teams have figured him out to fully get on board. 

23 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Sooooo.....your not a fan of him being the starting QB?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Contrary to what some here might think, I would be absolutely ecstatic if he actually ended up being an amazing franchise QB. It would mean we'd have something we haven't had in forever and we'd potentially be set at the most important position for the next decade. 

But I'm also realistic enough to not get caught up in the hype and extrapolate that based on 5 quarters of play good play, a UDFA dude who had been out of the league since 2018 and had been on 5 NFL teams in 6 seasons is the answer.

Because while anything is possible, it's insanely improbable that Heinicke is actually a Brady or Rodgers or whoever that 5 teams somehow just completely whiffed on and we were the ones to somehow finally unlock Taylor Heinicke's final form.

I've said that it reminds me a bit of the Cult of Colt. And it really does. But it seems this happens somewhat regularly. As a fanbase, we're absolutely starved for a top QB and a consistently good team. So starved that we sometimes give in to our hopes and believe that any UDFA or late round pick could be our Tom Brady as soon as they show a glimmer of potential.

But the reality is that Tom Brady is literally a once in a lifetime (or several lifetimes) thing. It just doesn't really happen. The chances of a late round guy or UDFA becoming an elite QB for us is incredibly slim.

Edited by mistertim
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I'm not one of those that is advocating for naming him starter.  To the eyes, he feels like a tier 2 QB but that's why competition in camp will settle it.  It's surprising (RR said the same post game) he had the success he did and not because nobody had tape on him.  By your measurement, Steven Montez would have had good game stats given nobody had any tape on him either.  LOL  Bottom line is the kid has talent, to what degree game to game, nobody knows.

Guys, I will readily admit that the only reason I am reading and posting here (and slowly becoming a WFT fan) is that I am a dyed in the wool Taylor Heinicke fan. Old Dominion restarted football after a roughly 70 year hiatus in 2009. Heinicke was the starting QB from 2011 through 2014. Patence please -- I'm getting there. Foreman Field, the ODU stadium was sold out (all 20,000 seats) for every game because (1) Norfolk was hungry for football and (2) we wanted to see Taylor Heinicke play. ln those four years, he completed 67.7% of his passes for 14,959 yards. In one game he threw for 730 yards. So here's the point. There are at least 20,000 people who not only know but will eagerly testify under oath that TH clearly has that level of talent to the Nth degree -- game to game, every game. Trust me. I am not comparing ODU, the CAA in FCS or C-USA in FBS to the NFL. What I am saying is that what you saw from TH in his game and a quarter for WFT is what you will see every time he plays. That is just who he is. He is a gamer. If you don't believe me, just ask my 19,999 Monarch friends -- and maybe also Chase Young. And if there is an open competition in camp, as RR said there will be, I have no doubt that TH will win it. Cheers all. Heini-KEE!

Edited by ODU AGGIE
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2