Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Why? TB basically had zero film on him and zero clue how the offense would be run with him playing so they probably didn't have much of a game plan.

That doesn't mean that Heinicke didn't play well, but it does give an advantage and we've seen it happen many times in the past when new guys come in. That's why most people usually say "He played well but let's wait and see what happens after teams have some film on him".

But it seems some people don't feel that the "wait and see" approach applies to Heinicke The Great.

The gambler/go against the norm in me wants to go all in on Taylor. Love it from a team building standpoint, they could realistically overpay Allen Robinson, David, and Samuel and be in great position to keep the defense together with a Taylor contract at starting QB. I love that. 

The Taylor crowd realizes the time is now and may never come again and the dude could rot on the bench for the rest of his career and his talents never be fully realized. 

Found my comp for him... Doug Flutie. 
Don't let some measurable guy like a (Rob Johnson) distract you. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

I bowled a 290 once. If I did that a whole bunch of times instead of once then I'd be one of the best bowlers in the world.

Conclusion: everyone should be talking about how I'm potentially one of the best bowlers in the world.

We do....but we're starting to lose faith in you. You need to put up a 300 or we're on to Cincinatti.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, wit33 said:

bu
The gambler/go against the norm in me wants to go all in on Taylor. Love it from a team building standpoint, they could realistically overpay Allen Robinson, David, and Samuel and be in great position to keep the defense together with a Taylor contract at starting QB. I love that. 

The Taylor crowd realizes the time is now and may never come again and the dude could rot on the bench for the rest of his career and his talents never be fully realized. 

Don't let some measurable guy like a (Rob Johnson) distract you. 

Oh I'd love it from multiple standpoints if Heinicke was a hidden gem of a QB we found. I just don't see it as likely. And yes, we all also love an underdog as well.

The only issue I really have with what you said is "his talents never be fully realized". But what if he really isn't all that talented and all the teams that signed and released him are correct and his supporters here are wrong? He showed some flashes in his play with us, but he was also (as Rivera himself pointed out) a guy playing with absolutely nothing to lose. So you'd need to see it consistently over time; you can't just go based on 5 quarters of play.

It would be amazing if we somehow found this UDFA who  has been with 5 teams in 6 years and we are the ones who finally unlocked the gem and he realized his talents and became an elite QB. But I think it's incredibly unlikely. That sort of stuff just doesn't really happen. Usually those rare lower round or UDFA "gems" are found by a team that drafted or picked them up (Brady, Romo, etc)...not by another team after being released by a bunch of others.

I suppose Kurt Warner would be the only one I could think of. Though Warner is an interesting case because I think he's the result of what happens when a very good, but not elite, QB ends up on a crazy stacked team. That Rams offense was the most ludicrously talented group in NFL history most likely. And while Warner is certainly a very good QB, I don't think he's elite. He didn't really do much after he left the Rams, outside of one season in 2008. So in that situation you have a crazy supporting cast, and go on a tear for a few years, then it's over. I certainly wouldn't mind that...but we don't have that kind of supporting cast.

I just don't really want to get my hopes up. One of the perils of being a WFT fan my whole life...consistent disappointment after high expectations.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The gambler/go against the norm in me wants to go all in on Taylor.

Given where we are, overall - cap and draft capital, combined with who/what it would take to get players that could be available, this is where I'm at.  I have zero interest in making a trade for a guy like Mariota or Dalton, I seriously doubt Carr is available unless someone knocks Grudens socks off, and I don't think we even have the ability to provide what it would take to get Watson.  I also don't want to make a splash for a rookie.  If they believe in someone that is available or can make a crafty trade to move up/down and get 'their guy', so be it.  

So yeah, I'm down for rolling with TH.  It's definitely not optimal or even what I desired going into the offseason, but with how everything is playing out, it kind of sadly makes a lot of sense.

*I guess I should add that I don't mean they should just hand him the job, just give him a very legitimate opportunity to make it his.

58 minutes ago, wit33 said:

This is the guy I said he reminded me of in the gameday thread during the playoff game.  I don't even know how accurate that really is, but that's just how he looked to me.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dyst said:

Maybe the times we scored over 28 was when the defense scored too?

Offense scored 4 TD's against Dallas.

34 Points on Offense, and only 7 points by the Defense. Or 6. Depending who you credit for the XP.

And 6 total scoring drives by Alex Smith.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

On 2/10/2021 at 10:35 AM, kingdaddy said:

If Chase Young is endorsing Heinicke then why shouldn't we believe? 

And you never heard Chase chant out "Has-KINS !!! Has-KINS !!!"

Not even when they were college teammates.

And you never heard him chant Al-LEN !!!, Al-LEN !!!"

It was more of a...

allen meerkat GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tsailand said:

NFL.com still has their 2015 draft rankings available... 9th best in a dreadful QB year.

image.thumb.png.bd5bb6e6d8e108ce32f9b9d6017b4dca.png

@Tsailand No doubt, Heinicke has risen in "grade" since that time.

Of the 8 quarterbacks, drafted above him, half of them are already out of the league, and none of the other half ended up as starters.

In 2021, it's very possible that Heinicke ends up being the only NFL Starting QB, among those "Top 9"

So if we were to re-rate them, surely it would come out much differently, the way Heinicke has surpassed so many of them.

Time changes, and so do players. Most of them regressed, while Heinicke progressed.

That also reflects how often, and in fact extremely often, that scouts get it wrong ; on both ends of the spectrum ; whether it's a bust of a high pick,

or a missed/overlooked player. They over-rated the QB's above him, and under-rated Heinicke.

That "grade graphic" is also interesting because, we signed the guy immediately below him, with the exact same grade of 5.60 : Connor Halliday, as an UDFA.

Then he retired.

Makes me wonder how different things would have gone, if Halliday retired before we signed him, and maybe we may have signed Heinicke instead.

More Front Office shuffling...

Torrey Smith, a former teammate of Heinicke, assumes role of the President of Heinicke Hive, while Chase Young, another Heinicke teammate, willingly takes the Vice President role, thus taking the position that I had obviously been vying for.

https://www.radio.com/thefandc/sports/washington-football-team/torrey-smith-is-leading-the-taylor-heinicke-fan-club

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Heinicke is going to be an incredibly QB for us and lead us to many championships over the next few years.

*I have no idea if that is true or not, but I want in on the bandwagon if it is*

And imagine how much better he will be, when he has more time to study upcoming teams' defenses, and figures out all of their tendencies and weaknesses, and capitalizes on them !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

And imagine how much better he will be, when he has more time to study upcoming teams' defenses, and figures out all of their tendencies and weaknesses, and capitalizes on them !

The injury prone thing is my only concern with him. I honestly do think he could be great.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

No doubt, not to mention an offseason to work with the WR's and learn the playbook even more. Across the board, by signing him early, he has months to prepare and get himself ready to seriously compete for the starting job and be a difference maker for this team. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The injury prone thing is my only concern with him.

I'm just glad that we are the team, that gets to determine whether or not that is an issue.

And regardless of how he turns out ultimately, no matter how great, good, or bad he becomes, just look at what it cost us, to take that valid risk.

• Like 2

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm just glad that we are the team, that gets to determine whether or not that is an issue.

And regardless of how he turns out ultimately, no matter how great, good, or bad he becomes, just look at what it cost us, to take that valid risk.

We could have our QB for the next decade. How wild is that?

• Like 1