Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

It's hard to find stuff online about Babe, at least in regards to his "following", since it was way before the internet.

But what I recall is, for 3 separate seasons in Washington, he absolutely banged in preseason, and wowed everyone, most of whom couldn't figure out how he could play so well, and then return back to the team a 2nd and 3rd preseason, but yet never make it to the regular season.

His first regular season action wasn't until he played for the Chargers and Cowboys, but those careers were short-lived.

He turned into a broadcaster in the Dallas area, and a very good one.

Then in 2019, his only son, Luke Laufenberg, who was also a football player, died of cancer at the age of about 19

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Reading this thread, you'd think Heinicke went out and threw for 450 yards and 5 TDs and no INTs.

He had 306 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 59% completion, and 78.4 rating. It's good but not amazing...and certainly not "legendary". 

This place is weird sometimes.

P. Mahomes26-49, 270 YDS, 2 INT. Is what the Bucs D did in the Superbowl......next.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Reading this thread, you'd think Heinicke went out and threw for 450 yards and 5 TDs and no INTs.

He had 306 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 59% completion, and 78.4 rating. It's good but not amazing...and certainly not "legendary". 

giphy-95cdee9f8a34c95b2.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

14 hours ago, zskins said:

You are on to something here when it comes to slight frame. I call it thinner bones ( circumference wise) compared to someone who has thicker bones (fatter). The ticker bones allows one to look more bulky and add more bulk to it. So for the thinner people just having stronger bones makes a huge difference. Adding more muscle and fat helps the bones stay stronger. Taylor just needs to make his bones stronger (weight-bearing or high-impact exercise, which promotes the formation of new bone).

That surely must be his greatest challenge going forward - due to his unusual stature - they will have a hard time tailoring for him a perfect fit for the gold jacket at his Hall of Fame induction.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Not weird. EXTREMESKINS. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Please tell me you're not taking the shirt seriously.

Have you seen some of the posts in this thread? Tons of Brady comparisons, people talking about how they will "never forget that game" vs the Bucs...as if he went out and pulled a Matt Flynn or something. It's a bit nutty.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Answer one question. Do you think Heinicke is a better QB than Mahomes? 

If the answer is no, then what exactly is the point of your post?

No, but that doesn't really mean anything. Not only did he also have a rushing touchdown, but there were also a number of drops that would have made those stats look even better. The only QB who put up better numbers against the Bucs in the playoffs was Rodgers. And Heinicke was coming in with only a handful of time with the team and didn't find out he was starting until a day or two before the game. 

So yeah, it was darn impressive and everyone is interested to see what he can do with a full offseason with the team. Because why would we not be? I really don't understand why it's upsetting to people for fans to find what he did impressive and be excited to see what he can do in a full offseason. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

No, but that doesn't really mean anything. Not only did he also have a rushing touchdown, but there were also a number of drops that would have made those stats look even better. The only QB who put up better numbers against the Bucs in the playoffs was Rodgers. And Heinicke was coming in with only a handful of time with the team and didn't find out he was starting until a day or two before the game. 

So yeah, it was darn impressive and everyone is interested to see what he can do with a full offseason with the team. Because why would we not be? I really don't understand why it's upsetting to people for fans to find what he did impressive and be excited to see what he can do in a full offseason. 

Yes it was impressive and I've said that he played well. My issue is with the overreaction to it and refusal by some to see that it's at least possible that it was an outlier and Heinicke isn't actually the answer at QB because of one good game. Rivera certainly seems to not think he's their answer, otherwise he wouldn't be openly looking for a better QB.

"Heinicke was coming in with only a handful of time" goes both ways though. Yes he didn't have many reps so doing what he did was impressive, but nobody on the other side knew what the offense would do with him under center. Nobody had any tape on him, because it doesn't exist. So there was no way for the Bucs to game plan against him. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Answer one question. Do you think Heinicke is a better QB than Mahomes? 

If the answer is no, then what exactly is the point of your post?

The point of the post is about the Bucs defense and how Super Heiny held his own. Protect the kid with a stout Oline. Is it a fantasy to think he could be as good as Mahomes, yes...do fantasies come true? Would be cool if this one did......for once. In answer to your previous post in the QB  thread............

Tom Brady

• Like 1

We have a stout Oline (ranked #6 in the NFL by PFF). And the problem with the "Roll with Heinicke and surround him with talent" argument...is that Rivera and the rest of the FO doesn't seem to buy it. Otherwise they wouldn't be so open about looking for an upgrade at the position. If they were sold on him and said it, then I'd feel much more comfortable with it. As it is, it seems to be mostly just fans who believe it.

19 hours ago, mistertim said:

Dude, it's an injury and not an insignificant one. Heinicke got injured. Yes he played through it, but many times in that situation the player would be pulled, depending on how bad it is. But again: he did get injured. 

What you wrote is sort of like saying that a guy who suffers a sprained ankle isn't actually injured because he didn't break it. 

First, in reference to your comment in italics. Yes, he did get injured, and if you will reread my post, you will see that I did say he had an injury. Second, the injury was in fact minor to the point of being insignificant. An ac sprain on the non-throwing shoulder of a QB is not a reason to pull a starting QB, as evidenced by how well TH played after the injury. He did not miss an offensive series and there certainly was no visible affect to his passing ability in the remainder of the game. Finally, your simile regarding a sprained ankle is nothing short of ludicrous because there is no similarity between what I wrote and what you compare it to. C'mon, Dude. Get a grip.

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

We have a stout Oline (ranked #6 in the NFL by PFF). And the problem with the "Roll with Heinicke and surround him with talent" argument...is that Rivera and the rest of the FO doesn't seem to buy it. Otherwise they wouldn't be so open about looking for an upgrade at the position. If they were sold on him and said it, then I'd feel much more comfortable with it. As it is, it seems to be mostly just fans who believe it.

Fans tend to get excited when they see a small infinitesimal spark after 20 years of nothing. I will continue to enjoy this moment until we draft a over hyped rookie that will be on the streets in two years (as per WFT standards). 

But yes I get your point, he hasn't done much. Hopefully the off-season changes that.

17 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Fans tend to get excited when they see a small infinitesimal spark after 20 years of nothing. I will continue to enjoy this moment until we draft a over hyped rookie that will be on the streets in two years (as per WFT standards). 

But yes I get your point, he hasn't done much. Hopefully the off-season changes that.

Sure, people get excited. But there's a difference between "Hey this unknown undrafted guy came in out of nowhere and looked good, that's cool! I wonder what else he has and I'm curious how he'll look over more than 1 game" and "Hey this unknown undrafted guy came in out of nowhere and looked good, that's cool! I think after 1 start he's our answer at QB and we should just surround him with talent."

The former is where I am, the latter seems to be where some others are. And I think it's a bit ludicrous. And so does our FO, seeing as how open they're being about looking for an upgrade at the QB position.

Edited by mistertim

@mistertim  Imagine if Colt Brennan had played in a playoff game and put up Heinicke’s numbers, lol.

I’m with you for the most part, particularly in terms of his future.  I think his playoff performance was pretty incredible considering the circumstances.  I mean, if you bear in mind how desperately we rank our need for receivers, factor in the Bucs shutting down our ground game, then look at the drops and his rushing numbers... and the fact he did it all coming off the street, with almost no game experience or comfort with the personnel.  On top of that, he did it on the national stage in a high pressure game.  So I don’t mind the ‘legendary’ angle.

With that said, yep, the coaches aren’t assuming he’s their guy, and the chance he is the answer to our qb question mark is very, very slim.  The odds are stacked against him.  The journeyman label he’s earned, the injuries, the fact the Bucs didn’t have much tape on him, the idea that he had nothing to lose are all legitimate factors to consider.  He’s earned a spot on the team (for now, at least), we’ll see where things go from here.

There is the matter of “what else is out there?” though (without us mortgaging a ton of resources, which our FO seems loathe to do).  So I can understand some believing he’s our best hope for the short term.

16 hours ago, mistertim said:

You can't rely on the stat line to prop up your argument, not because the greatness of that performance was an intangibles/eye test sort of thing, but because there were a ton of key drops and a tipped pass that contributed to the negatives of his stat line, none of which you mentioned. Kind of seems like you're arguing in bad faith or didn't watch the game.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bacon said:

You can't rely on the stat line to prop up your argument, not because the greatness of that performance was an intangibles/eye test sort of thing, but because there were a ton of key drops and a tipped pass that contributed to the negatives of his stat line, none of which you mentioned. Kind of seems like you're arguing in bad faith or didn't watch the game.

Every single QB has dropped and/or tipped passes in every game, not just Taylor Heinicke. And yes, the eye test looked pretty good, but some people seem to be talking about him as if he went out and absolutely lit it up. He played well and looked impressive for a guy off the street, but it's not like he came in and dominated them.

IMO the stat lined reflects his performance relatively well: good against a very stout defense, and very impressive for a guy off the street. But not something that bards will speak about for the next hundred years.

Edited by mistertim

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

he spells his name wrong on purpose and i heard he lies about his height

Yea, he should go back to his original name, Heighteken

17 hours ago, petey hodge said:

Can Montez play linebacker??  (asking for a friend)

Yes, both DE and LB ;)

Montez.jpg

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Every single QB has dropped and/or tipped passes in every game, not just Taylor Heinicke. And yes, the eye test looked pretty good, but some people seem to be talking about him as if he went out and absolutely lit it up. He played well and looked impressive for a guy off the street, but it's not like he came in and dominated them.

IMO the stat lined reflects his performance relatively well: good against a very stout defense, and very impressive for a guy off the street. But not something that bards will speak about for the next hundred years.

If his receivers helped him out a bit more, I think you're singing a different tune if Cam and Steven Sims helped him out a bit.  The first big drop would have been a huge play a real tone setter because it may have been a touchdown if not a huge chunk of yardage on the first drive.  Secondly, Steve Sums dropped an almost sure TD pass around the 5 yard line.  Get a legit #2 receiver and I think we win that game.

Edited by Rex Tomb
  • Like 1