Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

If the D plays the way it was supposed to, and receivers aren't dropping passes/fumbling, Heinicke is a fine option to play out this season. The offense still functions with him. He's not a franchise 10+ year guy. He's a good stop gap for this year and great backup to have for the next few years. I don't really have any issue with how he played today. He has physical limitations but he was trying to make a play since we were struggling resulting in the picks. I'll never fault a guy for trying to make plays when were down. Beats Alex Smith throwing 5 yard checkdowns on 3rd and 12 down double digits.

And the guy just led us on a game winning FG drive last week too. Remember he's an UDFA, not a former 1st round pick. Expectations should be set accordingly.

Agree with this mostly. Not looking for him to be replaced and/or be benched but that doesn't mean he should be free of any criticism along the way.  The bottomline is we are a team in search of a franchise QB, and until it becomes indisputable that we have that QB on the roster and performing like one for a few seasons in a row, the debate will rage on about who is under center.  That's just how it is. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

This will be a season of being jealous of every team we play that has a franchise QB and wondering when we will finally land one of our own. We're going nowhere until we do, even if our defense starts playing closer to their potential. Herbert in week 1, and now Josh Allen this week. And after Matt Ryan next week (who's no slouch either) we're facing a murderer's row of franchise QBs as we go deeper into the season.  

7 minutes ago, BraveWarrior said:

This will be a season of being jealous of every team we play that has a franchise QB and wondering when we will finally land one of our own. We're going nowhere until we do, even if our defense starts playing closer to their potential. Herbert in week 1, and now Josh Allen this week. And after Matt Ryan next week (who's no slouch either) we're facing a murderer's row of franchise QBs as we go deeper into the season.  

Watching GB/SF right now. 49ers are a lot like us, built similarly(but better personnel for the most part)but they are getting owned by a future HOFer at QB.

Its a QB league.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Watching GB/SF right now. 49ers are a lot like us, built similarly(but better personnel for the most part)but they are getting owned by a future HOFer at QB.

Its a QB league.

I'm watching it too, and keep wondering how many years has left. would he play 2 more years if he came here? 3 more?  

Edited by BraveWarrior
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I'd lock him up for three years for sure. Fringe starter/backup QB who is reliable and has shown he can come in and spot start/get the job done in relief duty. He's an asset to the team.

He will have games like Tampa... but he'll have games like today as well. It comes with the territory of being in that fringe starter/backup spot.

I'd feel great knowing he was here as a backup for 3 years+, though.

The thing with Heinicke is that he has also shown a willingness to take the mentor role and coach the young guy. He did that for Ta'amu with the Battlehawks in the XFL after he lost that QB competition.

1 hour ago, Partag said:

Heinicke wasn't great thonight, but the L is NOT on him. The guy gave us 3 td's. Man, our defense gonna step up, it's ugly. 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Heinicke's points off turnovers was only 3x2 = 6.

Otherwise, he did not allow the Bills to score 43-6=37 points?  Not to mention the 21 that he directly contributed in our favor.

But yeah.. everyone's blaming TH for the loss.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Its a QB league.

Not sure I can name an elite defense. Bucs got walloped as well. 

10 hours ago, wit33 said:

I try to avoid getting schematic related stuff, but to have Heineke at QB and force him to be a pocket QB with ZERO read option stuff and very little RPO is criminal. Washington has an Uber athletic QB with a weak arm and running an offense suited for a pocket QB.

Frustrating to see a dude trying to appease the coaches to the extreme, which I get on some levels, but damn. Develop a game plan that provides 10-12 plays that feature the option to use his legs. 

So true.   And, give Paterson some carries.   Be more innovative.   That quarterback sneak late was terrible.  Game is over.  If there was a time to go play action.  That was it!  It's aggravating.  Taylor is skilled and very instinctive.    He needs to be featured more.   They just need some read wrinkles.  He needs to always keep it a few times.  It will help the running game.  And, he does see the field well.  How many times does Scott call the reverse on second down that gets blown up.  Happened versus Chargers.  Happened today.    Taylor ain't the problem.  It's coaching. 

Edited by Newera
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, petey hodge said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Heinicke's points off turnovers was only 3x2 = 6.

Otherwise, he did not allow the Bills to score 43-6=37 points?  Not to mention the 21 that he directly contributed in our favor.

Nobody should be blaming TH for the loss with that defensive performance. But sorry this is the Heineke thread and he did throw 2 picks and had a 3rd called back.  This can't be ignored as we evaluate our QB situation.  

6 hours ago, petey hodge said:

Where?

His stock dropped, sure.  It was a rather ugly game from him barring the scamper to the pylon.

But I don’t see anyone pinning the loss on him. Everyone on earth is well aware of just how pathetic our defense is.  I’ve yet to see a take on the game that doesn’t start with the poor defensive performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Where?

His stock dropped, sure.  It was a rather ugly game from him barring the scamper to the pylon.

But I don’t see anyone pinning the loss on him. Everyone on earth is well aware of just how pathetic our defense is.  I’ve yet to see a take on the game that doesn’t start with the poor defensive performance.

"Poor" would be an improvement. "Poor" would mean we might have a change of keeping the Falcons to 24 or less points this week. We don't. They will hang 30+ on us and it's going to be left for TH to try and keep up with Matty Ice.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NickyJ said:

If Heinicke doesn't use his legs, he is about on par with Kyle Allen. He looked on par with Kyle Allen today, except for the diving touchdown. Which used his legs.

Taylor should not feel safe from Kyle if we keep losing and he keeps turning the ball over.  I'm ready for Fitz to come back, think I've seen enough.

4 minutes ago, zskins said:

Did anyone hear the TH press?

He says, "I need to protect myself better. it is a long season and there are still 14 games left."

Hmmmmm.... TH thinks he is going to start all next 14 games. Interesting indeed. 

Somebody has to believe it.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 3

This version of Heineke 

13 hours ago, NickyJ said:

If Heinicke doesn't use his legs, he is about on par with Kyle Allen. He looked on par with Kyle Allen today, except for the diving touchdown. Which used his legs.

This version of Heineke, even what he did with the Giants I’m trending towards preferring Allen. I like the speculative ceiling with Heineke, but if the coaches continue to use him as they have to start this season, Allen is the better option. Allen is the bigger and stronger armed QB with equal to better grasp of the system. 

I am not a pro Allen guy, but if you want a guy to run current scheme to a T, he’s the better option. I trust Allen to get to his 3rd to 4th read or check down when 1st or 2nd read are taken away, not as much for Heineke. Heineke being stripped of his running as a check down option has lowered his ceiling greatly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, zskins said:

Did anyone hear the TH press?

He says, "I need to protect myself better. it is a long season and there are still 14 games left."

Hmmmmm.... TH thinks he is going to start all next 14 games. Interesting indeed. 

Taylor said last week that every QB should believe in themselves as deserving to start.

I don't particularly love the sound of "protect myself better". He's got guts, so he probably doesn't mean it to be taken this way, but it sounds a little like he's saying he should scramble even less and be more of a pocket passer.

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

Taylor said last week that every QB should believe in themselves as deserving to start.

I don't particularly love the sound of "protect myself better". He's got guts, so he probably doesn't mean it to be taken this way, but it sounds a little like he's saying he should scramble even less and be more of a pocket passer.

He said he should have gotten out of bounds instead of trying to get another 2 yards, when he was running towards the end zone. He also said Bills gave him more lanes in the 2nd half probably because they were up by so much. 

TH missed the opportunity to run when there was nothing but green in front of him but threw a pick instead. Not sure what was going on there in his head. The TH from Tampa game would have ran straight up for lots of positive yards. Maybe the coaches are saying to him to run less and protect your body more. 

• Like 1

I like TH, but there are a lot of deficiency's in his game.  He cannot make every throw.  He lacks the arm talent to get the ball there on out routes.  He throws with great anticipation, but little velocity.  Don't know if this is fixable, which will limit us down the road when more teams get more tape of him.

4 hours ago, wit33 said:

This version of Heineke 

This version of Heineke, even what he did with the Giants I’m trending towards preferring Allen. I like the speculative ceiling with Heineke, but if the coaches continue to use him as they have to start this season, Allen is the better option. Allen is the bigger and stronger armed QB with equal to better grasp of the system. 

I am not a pro Allen guy, but if you want a guy to run current scheme to a T, he’s the better option. I trust Allen to get to his 3rd to 4th read or check down when 1st or 2nd read are taken away, not as much for Heineke. Heineke being stripped of his running as a check down option has lowered his ceiling greatly. 

Allen has looked like poo on a football field just about every single time he has stepped on one.  TH outperforms in a really tough game against a tough D but doesnt go 4 TD 0 INTs and you are ready to throw in the towel?  Let me know when he has has his first actual bad game against a non top-D where hes not chasing 40+ points.  We can start there.

And people wonder why we have had a QB carrousel for the past couple of decades...

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Allen has looked like poo on a football field just about every single time he has stepped on one.  TH outperforms in a really tough game against a tough D but doesnt go 4 TD 0 INTs and you are ready to throw in the towel?  Let me know when he has has his first actual bad game against a non top-D where hes not chasing 40+ points.  We can start there.

And people wonder why we have had a QB carrousel for the past couple of decades...

Context of my post seems to be missing with your response. I prefer Heineke’s speculative ceiling, but only if he’s being a playmaker and natural. This version of him staying in the pocket, yes, I take Kyle Allen over him. 

Unleash Heineke. My prediction his moxie and reason why so many (fans and teammates) love him will decline with him attempting to be something he’s not. My thoughts, go out being true to yourself. He’s secured a future in the league, don’t play it safe with this unique starting opportunity. 

• Like 2