Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

26 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

So TH has to hold the ball forever waiting for somebody (ANYBODY) to get open!  

Kurt Warner did a piece last week on how many opportunities were missed by TH. 

I’m not saying you are wrong about the run game.  But I think you are crediting TH with seeing the field better than he really is.  While he’s familiar with Turner and his system, he’s not familiar with NFL speed and disguises on game day.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Kurt Warner did a piece last week on how many opportunities were missed by TH. 

I’m not saying you are wrong about the run game.  But I think you are crediting TH with seeing the field better than he really is.  While he’s familiar with Turner and his system, he’s not familiar with NFL speed and disguises on game day.  

Did you speed read my post?  We're not gonna play the nyg every week.  When we play against a team with good personnel we're not winning enough.  

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

It's not about "hanging the loss on Heinicke" so much as just recognizing his limitations and why they are showing that he isn't the answer at QB.  He might be the best option at the moment due to the Fitz injury, but we are forgetting that there are reasons Fitz won the job during the offseason.  I am not even super high on Fitz either, he has limitations and lacks some of the X factors that Heinicke has displayed, but just because you have some attributes to your game that the other guy doesn't have, it doesn't make you an overall better QB.   Heinicke is 30 and has never been a starter for a reason.  Outside of Rich Gannon resurrecting his career with the Raiders during their run 20 years ago, how many QB's just magically get "discovered" this late into their career?  Kurt Warner probably another example?  So it's not like it doesn't happen, but it is rare.

Heinieke is 28 years old not 30. We would be 0-3 with Fitz right now. Our defense is trash. Let's see how he plays out and go from there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

Heinieke is 28 years old not 30. We would be 0-3 with Fitz right now. Our defense is trash. Let's see how he plays out and go from there.

I wonder sometimes how closely our fans pay attention.  It's like they don't realize how long we've been in QB wasteland.  Heinike may not be what we want but we've seen a lot worse play from that position!  If TH goes out then the WFT will truly be in tank mode.  And of course, the QB's coming out this year don't inspire any confidence.

• Like 1

I try to avoid getting schematic related stuff, but to have Heineke at QB and force him to be a pocket QB with ZERO read option stuff and very little RPO is criminal. Washington has an Uber athletic QB with a weak arm and running an offense suited for a pocket QB.

Frustrating to see a dude trying to appease the coaches to the extreme, which I get on some levels, but damn. Develop a game plan that provides 10-12 plays that feature the option to use his legs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’re playing a first place schedule with a last place team.  Well earn our stripes this season.  No doubt we will.  I tell ya what tho…I love our team.  I don’t love the defense as it is currently coordinated, but I love the team.

I truly believe we pull together and learn some lessons about winning this season. This isn’t pop tart football.  We are rebuilding a brand from darkest of holes.  We are doin it the right way.  

tough loss to a team that’s had to go thru similar issues.  We’re not too far off….we do still have a ways.  

I say enjoy the ride.  We will be perennial soon

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Stone Cold said:

We’re playing a first place schedule with a last place team.  Well earn our stripes this season.  No doubt we will.  I tell ya what tho…I love our team.  I don’t love the defense as it is currently coordinated, but I love the team.

I truly believe we pull together and learn some lessons about winning this season. This isn’t pop tart football.  We are rebuilding a brand from darkest of holes.  We are doin it the right way.  

tough loss to a team that’s had to go thru similar issues.  We’re not too far off….we do still have a ways.  

I say enjoy the ride.  We will be perennial soon

Did you just watch the same 40+ trashing we did?   We are no where near perennial.....not even on that path right now. 

1 hour ago, ThomasRoane said:

Did you speed read my post?  We're not gonna play the nyg every week.  When we play against a team with good personnel we're not winning enough.  

My post was specifically in response to you saying TH has to hold the ball forever for someone to get open.  I disagree with that assessment.

1 hour ago, ThomasRoane said:

I wonder sometimes how closely our fans pay attention.  It's like they don't realize how long we've been in QB wasteland.  Heinike may not be what we want but we've seen a lot worse play from that position!  If TH goes out then the WFT will truly be in tank mode.  And of course, the QB's coming out this year don't inspire any confidence.

Trust me I know with the QB situation with this team. We haven't had an franchise QB since I've been a fan and I'm 33 years old. I just want to see more of Heinicke cause I think he can be our QB, but one game of him not looking to great doesn't mean he's crap. He had some ups and downs today but eventually it doesn't fall on him it falls on our defense. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

Ok I was off by a couple years, my bad.  I think the overall point still stands though.  At 28, he isn't going to get the same 2-3 seasons to prove himself that a draft pick and/or 25 year old free agent would.  There were reasons he was never a starter in this league before and I don't think it was merely due to injuries.  I am not anti-Heinicke, he is probably the best option we currently have, although I do think Kyle Allen looked decent last season before getting injured himself, which is an entirely other issue that should worry us that our 1 & 2 QBs are not durable supposedly.

I am not for benching him or writing him off, I am just going on the the idea he has simply been overlooked and is a star in the making, which is not very high. I am certainly rooting for him and I was definitely hoping the defense and offense around him would be better to where so so much wasn't being put on an unproven QB, but alas here we are.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 2

If the D plays the way it was supposed to, and receivers aren't dropping passes/fumbling, Heinicke is a fine option to play out this season. The offense still functions with him. He's not a franchise 10+ year guy. He's a good stop gap for this year and great backup to have for the next few years. I don't really have any issue with how he played today. He has physical limitations but he was trying to make a play since we were struggling resulting in the picks. I'll never fault a guy for trying to make plays when were down. Beats Alex Smith throwing 5 yard checkdowns on 3rd and 12 down double digits.

And the guy just led us on a game winning FG drive last week too. Remember he's an UDFA, not a former 1st round pick. Expectations should be set accordingly.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

I try to avoid getting schematic related stuff, but to have Heineke at QB and force him to be a pocket QB with ZERO read option stuff and very little RPO is criminal. Washington has an Uber athletic QB with a weak arm and running an offense suited for a pocket QB.

Frustrating to see a dude trying to appease the coaches to the extreme, which I get on some levels, but damn. Develop a game plan that provides 10-12 plays that feature the option to use his legs. 

Yeah we talked about that on the game thread.  I think whart makes Heincike special is his legs and mobility.  I get the notion of keeping him healthy and seeing if he can do it without running but IMO that holds him back too much.

This part isn't directed to you.  I argued with someone after the Giants game who said that game alone is why Heinicke deserves to be the starter all season.  I disagreed.  I thought he played well that game but not to the extent where it's all done-lock and key game over, he's the dude.   And I get the point was purely him versus Fitzpatrick.  To me though it really depended.  If the season is shot then what the heck play the young guy.  But if its in play and Heinicke struggles then heck yeah I'd bench him for Fitz.  Hopefully, he does play well.   Will see.  So far I am cool with his play but not to the extent that I am even close to 100% convinced he's the guy. 

There have been plenty of QBs in the NFL who have had flashes and now are just yawn, see Sanchez, Foles, Minshew among others.  Here that would include RG3, J. Campbell, Todd Collins, In Gus we trust.   You need a sample size to judge any player IMO. 

I don't think Heinicke was terrible today but he also IMO didn't look like a franchise QB.  Last week he did.  Lets see what comes next.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I see no reason for The Hive to get bent out of shape about any criticism.  This is TH’s job until if and when he’s cooked.  I don’t see him getting benched early.  We are going to get to see exactly what this kid has.

Short of a Zack Wilson performance where the dude is throwing arm punts for no reason every other play, I don't think he has to worry too much about being benched in the short term.

That being said this game was pretty uggo. Dude had enough time to get in a couple DnD games behind our O-line today. Its never a good sign when a QB reverse challenges the age old adage of "give any QB time in the pocket and they will pick you apart." He had no ability to throw beyond 15 yards in that wind, especially late.

5 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Dude had enough time to get in a couple DnD games behind our O-line today.

Will be interesting to see some film breakdown, for sure.  I didn’t notice anything crazy watching live, but I have to believe there were some missed shots.  He had forever in there today.

Just now, abdcskins said:

I don't think anyone really thought he was the answer.

I beg to differ.  SoCal wanted to lock him up for an additional 3 years just a few days ago.  Some folks were pretty sensitive about any criticism or even skepticism about his physical abilities.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, srtman04 said:

Did you just watch the same 40+ trashing we did?   We are no where near perennial.....not even on that path right now. 

Sure did.  Watched the whole game.  Buffalo is one of the toughest away games.  And they have probably the best QB in the game.  We had turnovers,which you expect in that environment, that set the tone early and continued throughout.

our defense is a problem right now.  Too much talent and not enough production.  That tells me scheme or not buy in to scheme.  We need to figure that out but I subscribe to scheme being an issue.  

pulling a team up from the deep doldrums doesn’t happen as quickly as we’d love to think.  And we’re not as close as we were led to think.  That said….the team atmosphere has changed…we are building to suit an atmosphere…we have tons of young talent and draft capital.

we’re doin this the right way.  Lumps create character.  I love our team.  We’re building.  Still an off-season or 2 away.

btw…since this is actually a #4 thread….I love our QB and what he did today.  He made some incredible plays…and he left some plays out there.  Gonna happen in Buffalo.  Give that team credit.  They’re who were gonna be in 2 seasons if not sooner

The danger of small samples.  Before today, the dude was idolized by many.  Today, tweets like below are common.   Who knows what the answer is about Heinicke but I am keep beating the drum that we got to see at least 8 games or so before landing hard on a take.  I'd feel different maybe if he was just blessed with obvious physical talent but its not the case.    I am staying medium on Heinicke.  😀

Edited by Skinsinparadise

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Will be interesting to see some film breakdown, for sure.  I didn’t notice anything crazy watching live, but I have to believe there were some missed shots.  He had forever in there today.

I beg to differ.  SoCal wanted to lock him up for an additional 3 years just a few days ago.  Some folks were pretty sensitive about any criticism or even skepticism about his physical abilities.  

I'd lock him up for three years for sure. Fringe starter/backup QB who is reliable and has shown he can come in and spot start/get the job done in relief duty. He's an asset to the team.

He will have games like Tampa... but he'll have games like today as well. It comes with the territory of being in that fringe starter/backup spot.

I'd feel great knowing he was here as a backup for 3 years+, though.

• Like 1

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He wasn’t talking a few mil per.  10+.  That’s a costly backup in a league where a competent starting QB costs 30M.

I'm glad he's not the GM. Heinicke, even with a good season, would still be a lot cheaper than that rate. 

• Like 1