Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

7 hours ago, BigDibbs31 said:

There are almost zero deaths of kids under 12 from COVID

All the scientific numbers say different

A virus spreading because a population is partially vaccinated increases the chances of it mutating and gaining resistance.  The continued spread of the virus affects us all.

While deaths from children from Covid are extremely rare, they also have a larger effect on the families/communities where they do occur.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/interactive/2021/covid-children-deaths/

The number of death isn't always a good measure of the societal impact.  Yes, the chances of him brining it home to his kid and his kid dying are very low.   But think emotion turmoil if you do bring it home, your kid gets it, and dies.

They also aren't actually almost 0.  So many people have had it that even low percent (close to 0) mean a number of deaths not close to 0.  It is about 400 kids.  400 kids is much lower than the number of adults, but 400 isn't really close to 0 in most people's math.

(Plus, there are in some cases longer term consequences beyond death.  Plus again, it spreading among kids that aren't vaccinated means it has a chance to mutate and evolve into something that will be resistant to the vaccine.)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 3

I am very worried about the Nationals outbreak because it is going to give more ammunition to anti-vaxxers and people on the fence who don't understand that immunity is not binary, it is on a moving scale. It sounds like all of the positives were from routine PCR testing and asymptomatic, meaning the vaccine is doing its job of keeping the disease from becoming symptomatic.

Public health experts have not done a good enough job explaining that breakthrough positives aren't failures. And many of the Nationals got Johnson & Johnson, which is less effective in preventing infection than the mRNA vaccines.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BigDibbs31 said:

All the scientific numbers say different

I just happened to play golf with a pediatrician last night. I asked her about the vaccine. Her response was quick and complete - get everyone vaccinated and that includes children.   

I am all for data and numbers. And I do not dispute your data as I have seen the same. I do dispute your conclusion. The way vaccines work is you get the everyone (or as close to everyone as you can) vaccinated to eradicate the disease. Otherwise you risk reinfections and worse mass mutations into other variants that are resistant to the vaccine.  

So saying the unvaccinated are their own problem is a very narrow view of the data and the potential results of those not getting vaccinated with potential deadly results for everyone including those vaccinated. 

Also, you are only focusing on deaths. The long term effects of getting Covid are showing to be worse and worse - chronic respiratory illness, chronic heart palpitations and irregular heart beats, and chronic fatigue are jsut a few that are known. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I am very worried about the Nationals outbreak because it is going to give more ammunition to anti-vaxxers and people on the fence who don't understand that immunity is not binary, it is on a moving scale. It sounds like all of the positives were from routine PCR testing and asymptomatic, meaning the vaccine is doing its job of keeping the disease from becoming symptomatic.

Public health experts have not done a good enough job explaining that breakthrough positives aren't failures. And many of the Nationals got Johnson & Johnson, which is less effective in preventing infection than the mRNA vaccines.

To me the messaging has been all wrong from the start. I even had a discuss back in Jan with someone on here about it. I got told I dont know what I am talking about. These Vaccines should have never been called vaccines. In people's minds vaccine prevent you from getting the virus. We always knew that this virus was going to mutate and that there was going to be break through cases. The messaging should have been this is a pretreatment just encase you get COVID. Find away to compare it to the Vitamin C and Zinc that all the anti-vaccine people are spouting on about loading up on. 

19 minutes ago, just654 said:

To me the messaging has been all wrong from the start. I even had a discuss back in Jan with someone on here about it. I got told I dont know what I am talking about. These Vaccines should have never been called vaccines. In people's minds vaccine prevent you from getting the virus. We always knew that this virus was going to mutate and that there was going to be break through cases. The messaging should have been this is a pretreatment just encase you get COVID. Find away to compare it to the Vitamin C and Zinc that all the anti-vaccine people are spouting on about loading up on. 

While i think there is truth in this, it's sort of a moot point.

no matter what the messaging, the idiot right in this country would have perverted it, misrepresented it, denied it and done everything they have been doing to spread as much misinformation as they can, like they have been since day one.

The left DEFINITELY has a messaging problem. I think if the democrats decided to have a "day for the children" or something, they'd probably label it "Lets kill all the kids" or something completely off what they're trying to say. it is incredibly frustrating watching them say things that you know will just get ripped to shreds because of how they present the message.
"De-fund the police" is a prime example.

~Bang

• Like 3

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Also, you are only focusing on deaths. The long term effects of getting Covid are showing to be worse and worse - chronic respiratory illness, chronic heart palpitations and irregular heart beats, and chronic fatigue are jsut a few that are known. 

Don't forget brain fog.  Seems a miserable way to live out your life.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, just654 said:

Essentially all vaccines have issues with breakthrough cases.  All viruses mutate.  Just in general, there is almost nothing that is a 100% effective medicine.  I don't think the flu vaccine is ever more than 90% effective and most years it is much less than that.  The idea that vaccines aren't 100% effective isn't a secret and many people know that.  Even pre-Covid people would give the fact that the flu vaccine "doesn't work" as an excuse why they don't get it.

If anything rather than mislead/misinform the public, this is a chance to educate them (if they are willing to be educated and if they aren't, then I don't think the messaging would have mattered.)

This is a vaccine.  It is a highly effective vaccine.  It isn't 100% effective but the number of medical treatments (vaccines, drugs, etc.) that are 100% effective is extremely small.

If people can't understand and accept that then I don't think calling it something else would have mattered.

(And if you called it something else, I suspect people on the right would be bashing you for lying about what it is. )

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

Don't forget brain fog.  Seems a miserable way to live out your life.

One of the symptoms of MS.  I can tell you it's overwhelmingly sucky and impacts your life in a multitude of subtle ways you couldn't even begin to imagine if you didn't experience it.  

This whole thing can be boiled down to ignorant people (in the literal sense) not understanding probabilities. 

Edited by KAOSkins
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BigDibbs31 said:

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

To further @goskins10's point 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7927578/

A SERIOUS picture is emerging about the long-term health effects of covid-19 in some children, with UK politicians calling the lack of acknowledgment of the problem a “national scandal”.

Children seem to be fairly well-protected from the most severe symptoms of covid-19. According to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, the majority of children don't develop symptoms when infected with the coronavirus, or their symptoms are very mild.

However, it is becoming increasingly apparent that a large number of children with symptomatic and asymptomatic covid-19 are experiencing long-term effects, many months after the initial infection.

A recent study found that 13.3 per cent of adults with symptomatic covid-19 have symptoms lasting more than 28 days (medRxiv, doi.org/ghgdsv). Long-lasting symptoms were more likely to occur with increasing age and BMI, and were more likely in women than men, although it isn't clear why. Experiencing more than five symptoms in the first week post-infection was associated with a greater likelihood of having symptoms further down the line.

Evidence from the first study of long covid in children suggests that more than half of children aged between 6 and 16 years old who contract the virus have at least one symptom lasting more than 120 days, with 42.6 per cent impaired by these symptoms during daily activities.

These interim results are based on periodic assessments of 129 children in Italy who were diagnosed with covid-19 between March and November 2020 at the Gemelli University Hospital in Rome (medRxiv, doi.org/fv9t).

The UK Office for National Statistics's latest report estimates that 12.9 per cent of UK children aged 2 to 11, and 14.5 per cent of children aged 12 to 16, still have symptoms five weeks after their first infection. Almost 500,000 UK children have tested positive for covid-19 since March 2020.

Most medical bodies say it normally takes a few days or weeks to recover from covid-19, and that most will make a full recovery within 12 weeks.

UK advocacy group Long Covid Kids says that it currently has details of 1200 children with long covid from 890 families in England. “And that number has been rising quickly,” says founder Sammie Mcfarland. “Not one has returned to their previous health, and most are unable to do their normal activities.”

I think US was once a country where almost all adults would gladly roll up their sleeves to ensure that herd immunity would be achieved and the most vulnerable among us would be protected by everyone doing their civic duty.  But instead we have, "oh, but kids rarely die".  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

It means asking google to find you something on the internet that agrees with what you want to believe.

uZC5fF9.gif

sBZMR3C.gif

1 hour ago, Bang said:

The left DEFINITELY has a messaging problem. I think if the democrats decided to have a "day for the children" or something, they'd probably label it "Lets kill all the kids" or something completely off what they're trying to say.

Eh, the right would just call it "Democrats Reveal They're all Pedophiles Day" or some such nonsense anyway.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Problem is that the people in question have to actually want the information. As it is, the MAGA crowd views any information that doesn't agree with their beliefs not just with suspicion but outright hostility. They'll ignore it as "fake news" and go back to reading their Facebook group news feed and reading OAN or Brietbart.

Almost all of them are pretty much a lost cause I think.

Football players risk brain damage and inject themselves with chemicals so they get .00001% faster or stronger.

But ask them to get a lifesaving vaccine for themselves and society at large it's "I need more information"

**** those idiots

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, SkinInsite said:

Football players risk brain damage and inject themselves with chemicals so they get .00001% faster or stronger.

But ask them to get a lifesaving vaccine for themselves and society at large it's "I need more information"

**** those idiots

We need to convince them the vaccine will enhance their performance or reduce chance of injury. They're probably dumb enough to believe it.