Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

1 hour ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

I've read just now that study say that J&J are not effective and that some studys show that it is. It seems that majority of people that have the Delta strain is not vaccinated at all.

Good on you.  Don’t take this as condescending, but keep in mind that you still need 10 days to 2 weeks after your jab before you’re vaccinated.  Moderna and Pfizer are better than J&J, but you have an extra 3 weeks before it takes hold.  If I was in your shoes I’d think about how likely you can avoid people over the next month to six weeks.  If it’s difficult and you live in a high case location (check out JHU COVID Dashboard). I’d probably go for the J&J.  If you can take this time and make safe limitations with your routine, I’d go with Pfizer or Moderna.

Also, I’d recommend being a voice for those who had your mindset a week or so ago.

Glad to hear you come around.  Sincerely.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

I'm hoping I was wrong earlier about the vaccine and I'm getting it tomorrow and I'm sorry for bashing it with yall. I'm not posting this for likes or anything like that I'm just a man that can admit that I was wrong and I'm hoping I was wrong about this.

Good job just mannin up with this post, probably wasn't easy for ya but that just makes it mean more.

As far as I'm concerned we can all still be arguing the pros and cons of this a year from now as long as we're all still here to do that.

• Like 3

Yeah.  just pulling numbers out of my ***, but I get the impression that against Delta, it's like 85% effective for the first 2, vs 80% effective for the 3rd.  

And if those made-up numbers are realistic, then it becomes "Would you want to be 80% protected, two weeks from now, or 85% protected, inb 6 weeks?"  

(It's more complicated than that.  The two-shot vaccines seem to provide a lot of protection, after just the first shot.  But I'm just talking spitball numbers, anyway.)  

I've canceled my J&J appointment a  few hours ago for tomorrow and have to go to a different location to get Pfizer vaccine with the the same pharmacy brand. They told me I can just walk in and get the shot and then three weeks later I'll get my second dose.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Good on you.  Don’t take this as condescending, but keep in mind that you still need 10 days to 2 weeks after your jab before you’re vaccinated.  Moderna and Pfizer are better than J&J, but you have an extra 3 weeks before it takes hold.  If I was in your shoes I’d think about how likely you can avoid people over the next month to six weeks.  If it’s difficult and you live in a high case location (check out JHU COVID Dashboard). I’d probably go for the J&J.  If you can take this time and make safe limitations with your routine, I’d go with Pfizer or Moderna.

Also, I’d recommend being a voice for those who had your mindset a week or so ago.

Glad to hear you come around.  Sincerely.

With my job I can't. From what I've talked to family members that have the vaccine they told me that the Pfizer and Moderna first dose will protect me just a lil more than the J&J single dose. They said with the first dose that more and likely if I get Delta that I will show symptoms but not hospitalization and fighting for my life type thing. So I changed my appointment and getting Pfizer and I have basically a walk  in tomorrow cause he said people aren't setting up appointments at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

I've canceled my J&J appointment a  few hours ago for tomorrow and have to go to a different location to get Pfizer vaccine with the the same pharmacy brand. They told me I can just walk in and get the shot and then three weeks later I'll get my second dose.

My son got the Pfizer.  Had a bruise feeling and was a little tired...but was back up and asking for car keys in less than a day.  

Fortunately I've developed a natural immunity to the "Nagparentsforkeysvirus-21"...I suspect it developed as a side effect to catching "Dadjoke Pox" 17 years ago.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

With my job I can't. From what I've talked to family members that have the vaccine they told me that the Pfizer and Moderna first dose will protect me just a lil more than the J&J single dose. They said with the first dose that more and likely if I get Delta that I will show symptoms but not hospitalization and fighting for my life type thing. So I changed my appointment and getting Pfizer and I have basically a walk  in tomorrow cause he said people aren't setting up appointments at all.

You got this.  I got Pfizer.  I had zero side effects from both shots, just a slightly sore arm for about a day or two after each injection.  Everyone I know that got Pfizer or Moderna, had minimal or no side effects.  Most, just really tired and a sore arm after the 2nd dose.  

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

From what I've talked to family members that have the vaccine they told me that the Pfizer and Moderna first dose will protect me just a lil more than the J&J single dose.

Can't say I've heard about any studies backing that up, but I also haven't been actively seeking out that information since I finished by vaccination regimen.

44 minutes ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

Good on you bro.  FYI, hydrating like crazy can help minimize any vaccine side effects.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

My anti vax cousin just got airlifted to a hospital in NC.  He has a bad case of pneumonia in the lungs as a result of contracting covid.  The *best* case scenario is he will be on a ventilator for two weeks.  If he lives that long.

Get vaccinated people.  For ****s sake.

Sorry not sorry.  If you arent getting vaxxed, you're a moron.  There is no other conclusion.  And not only are you a moron, you are spreading your moron genes by prolonging this virus and helping infect more people by keeping us from reaching herd immunity.  You are keeping the virus around long enough that it can figure out how to mutate and defeat one of the greatest acheivements in scientific history, the covid vaccine, and put us all back at square one.  You are therefore ignorant and selfish.  And you all deserve a punch in the face.

The fact you became a moron is likely not your fault.  You've been sold a bunch of lies and cant tell the difference.  And the first rule of Dunning Kruger club is you're incapable of knowing you're in Dunning Kruger club.

I cant take it anymore.  Anyone rejecting the vaccine has failed an IQ test and you need to know that.

Hope my cousin will pull through, but its not looking good.  He put his faith in the wrong people and no one told him.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

I got Pfizer and had only minor sore arm. No other side effects. Pfizer is 39% effective after the 1st dose at preventing Covid Delta variant and I believe 80%+ at preventing hospitalization. The 2nd shot is 89% effective against contracting Delta at all. 

You are making the right decision no matter how it turns out. All the data and science says you are making the best decision for you and your family. That is the best we can all do.

Take care. 

• Like 1

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/07/27/ozarks-lake-covid-unvaccinated-500784

‘What’s Covid?’ Why People at America’s Hardest-Partying Lake Are Not About to Get Vaccinated

Known for its Cajun cuisine, Shorty Pants was brimming with customers on a recent weeknight. A live band took requests to the delight of dancing guests who twirled to Journey or played air guitar to AC/DC. A group of 12 sitting nearby celebrated birthdays by downing a round of shots.

Inside, McNay sat along with a half a dozen other customers who likewise lamented, what they viewed as, a breathless push for vaccines. Two bartenders floated in and out of the conversation, dropping comments like “what’s Covid?” to laughter. Just recently, a beloved cook at the restaurant had died from the virus, they said. But that hadn’t changed the thinking around vaccinations. The cook, they reasoned, likely had other underlying complications.

“We don’t know what else was wrong with him,” said Murry Ferris, who frequents Shorty Pants with his wife Jane. By contrast, Murry said, he and his wife exercise vigorously and regularly. Even so, Jane Ferris said the vaccine hadn’t been studied long enough and she didn’t want to be a “guinea pig.”

Like other places with low vaccination rates, there is a deep distrust of authority that exists among those at the Lake of the Ozarks. Politicians have agendas, the press loves controversy, even data can’t be believed. Some here cast hospitalization spikes as fictionalized. Others spin conspiracy theories about microchips.

“Now people are getting vaccinated and mysteriously you can take the average scanner and scan your arm,” Kenny Hubbard, a Backwater Jack’s customer says in a Southern drawl. He contends the virus was purposely released by the government as a form of “ethnic cleansing.” None of this is true.

Hubbard, a gregarious 57-year-old who is a regular here, pulls up a chair to the bar to explain that what’s “really happening will blow your mind.” As he talks, he wraps his arm around his wife, who is wearing a blue bikini, of which he frequently comments. The two had just spent the afternoon on their motorboat, tearing through the scenic waterways and coves that lure so many to this destination. Asked what proof he had of his claims, he clicked his tongue twice. “I can’t give away everything, baby.”

I'll ask the question.  Given the clear political leanings of anti-vaxxers, at what point do enough of them die to start impacting elections?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/07/27/ozarks-lake-covid-unvaccinated-500784

‘What’s Covid?’ Why People at America’s Hardest-Partying Lake Are Not About to Get Vaccinated

I'll ask the question.  Given the clear political leanings of anti-vaxxers, at what point do enough of them die to start impacting elections?

Well, you’ve seen the 180 by some of Fox News, the Alabama Governor, and others. The die has been cast.

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I can pretty much guarantee that Trump lost in part because a lot wives and girlfriends of hardcore Trumpers lied to their family about who they voted for.  When their kids and more of their relatives get really sick or die, even more of them are going to vote accordingly.  I'd say that represents a compounding loss the GOP in addition to deaths.   Even amongst rednecks, crackers and Nazis, the women are usually smarter.  It's all relative of course.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

I haven't been on here for a while, but most of yall think I'm a troll and I'm not. Most of yall don't agree with my views which is fair cause it's our choice of what we want to believe in. With that said after doing some research for the past week on this Delta strain I've made an appointment to Rite Aid tomorrow to get the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. The reason I chose that is I just want to get it over with since it's one shot. They told me that I have to get an pneumonia shot as well. I look at it like this I'm like the biggest anti vaccine person there is for the past year and I finally made the decision this morning cause I've seen reports of healthy young people dying of this strain. I don't want to take a chance of getting it and then being an a hospital on a ventilator.  Parts of me before was saying I won't get sick and other parts saying you never know you could end up in the hospital. I just don't think its worth the risk to take now with this strain. I will say this I'm sorry for downing the vaccine and getting in arguments with some of yall over this and I can admit that. I've always trusted my instincts and this is what it's telling me to do. My political views are more conservative but I would like to say I'm independent cause I just don't trust most Republicans and Democrats but I know independents won't win so I vote Republican which I guess you can say that I am. I am a Trump supporter and I don't want you guys to bash me  for that or think of me what ever the media thinks of trump supporters. That's for a different topic topic to discuss with since this is the vaccine topic. I'm hoping I was wrong earlier about the vaccine and I'm getting it tomorrow and I'm sorry for bashing it with yall. I'm not posting this for likes or anything like that I'm just a man that can admit that I was wrong and I'm hoping I was wrong about this.

It takes a lot to change your mind about something so personal to so many so props to you - this is great. I'm glad you've decided to protect yourself and the community - it's as American as it gets. But I don't blame your hesitance, a lot of influencers are simply using this to raise their platform by purposefully sharing misinformation about the vaccines and shame on them for convincing so many people about microchips, viral shedding etc.

I think public health has also failed us here. They cannot update their file from the 20th century in terms of messaging the importance of vaccination to people. When you're bombarded with "get it, it's safe and effective" over and over and over, it sounds like a snake oil salesman trying to sell you something. They are relying on an old paradigm that the general public is not that smart and we have to dumb it down so your dog can understand. Except I can now follow top virologists on Twitter and get the same data they get, and much faster than they message it out.

How about a White House briefing explaining what efficacy means because people still don't get what those numbers mean. How about a presser or a TV commercial on the authorization process of the vaccines because tons of people still don't get that they had to go through three clinical trials and then review by the FDA plus an outside advisory committee before the go ahead was given. How about explaining why the FDA required companies to track trial participants for 60 days at least, because historical data shows 90% of adverse reactions to vaccines occur within the first 40-45 days?

There is major distrust right now of the government and Big Pharma has always drawn skepticism deservedly - now is NOT the time to simplify the message, now is the time to fight misinformation with the most precise data we can give people. When people hear "safe" they think that means there is zero risk of anything if they take the vaccine, what safe actually means is the risks are very low and the benefits outweigh the risks, which is the case for all medicines ever created. That has been explained incredibly poorly.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

One dose of Pfizer/Moderna is very poor in stopping Delta symptomatic disease but very good in stopping hospitalizations. Two doses gives you excellent protection from everything.

The best data we have is from Public Health England and Scotland. Israel's data is more observational and has a lot of confounders that make it unreliable.

Below is a good graphic showing the impact of the vaccine even in the face of Delta.

J42Ev7E.jpg

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

One dose of Pfizer/Moderna is very poor in stopping Delta symptomatic disease but very good in stopping hospitalizations. Two doses gives you excellent protection from everything.

The best data we have is from Public Health England and Scotland. Israel's data is more observational and has a lot of confounders that make it unreliable.

Below is a good graphic showing the impact of the vaccine even in the face of Delta.

J42Ev7E.jpg

What is LAC here?  Is that Los Angeles County?

I heard Dr. Walensky's statement at 3:00...CDC recommends everyone mask up, all the time indoors, even with other vaccinated people...because of the people who insist on perpetrating a bunch of dumbassery. 

I'm not complaining, but GA is 49th in one-shot, and 50th in fully vaxxed!!!  It's more than just frustrating. 

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I heard Dr. Walensky's statement at 3:00...CDC recommends everyone mask up, all the time indoors, even with other vaccinated people...because of the people who insist on perpetrating a bunch of dumbassery. 

I'm not complaining, but GA is 49th in one-shot, and 50th in fully vaxxed!!!  It's more than just frustrating. 

Everyone *in areas of high transmission*

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Everyone *in areas of high transmission*

I read one article that stated the CDC thinks that fully vaccinated people may be spreading covid asymptomaticlly to the unvaccinated more than they originally thought in the past, thus the recommendation for fully vaccinated to mask up indoors (bars, restuarants, etc.) in hot zones.  

My take on that...........the CDC can go **** itself.  The unvaccintated have not given a **** about spreading the virus since the whole thing started a year and half ago.  They still don't give a ****, cause they are still unvaccinated.  So, I don't think I'm gonna worry about spreading it to them. 

I didn't stay at home for 15 months and wear masks the handfull of times I went out while the majority of those mother ****ers ****ed and moaned about everything (it's just a cold/flu, my rights are being violated if they make me wear a mask, blah blah blah) to have to wear a mask to protect them from themselves.  Maybe I'll change my mind on that tomorrow, next week/month/etc., but not right now.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I read one article that stated the CDC thinks that fully vaccinated people may be spreading covid asymptomaticlly to the unvaccinated more than they originally thought in the past, thus the recommendation for fully vaccinated to mask up indoors (bars, restuarants, etc.) in hot zones.  

My take on that...........the CDC can go **** itself.  The unvaccintated have not given a **** about spreading the virus since the whole thing started a year and half ago.  They still don't give a ****, cause they are still unvaccinated.  So, I don't think I'm gonna worry about spreading it to them. 

I didn't stay at home for 15 months and wear masks the handfull of times I went out while the majority of those mother ****ers ****ed and moaned about everything (it's just a cold/flu, my rights are being violated if they make me wear a mask, blah blah blah) to have to wear a mask to protect them from themselves.  Maybe I'll change my mind on that tomorrow, next week/month/etc., but not right now.

Herein lies the problem.  The unvaccinated unfortunately includes everyone under the age of 12.  And even among the vaccinated, older people and high risk individuals are at greater risk.

While it makes sense for those at risk through no fault of their own (or their caretakers) to try their best to minimize the risk for faultless at-risk people, the hotbed of infection driven by the selfish jackasses make that much harder.  It gets doubly so when school reopens and distance learning is no longer even an option because everyone is so eager to take that victory lap and point to the kids back in school.  If society needs the vaccinated to pitch in by putting the mask back on, I think it's our civic duty.

Edited by bearrock
  • Like 2