Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

6 hours ago, mistertim said:

I feel like this is just a bit of a stretch; I don't think he'll sniff the HoF. Outside of one year, Cam has never really been much of an actual QB. His biggest asset has always been his threat to run the ball. As a passer he's very mediocre at best IMO. 

I have no idea what you could possibly be implying. Putting Nate Sudfeld in the game when it was neck and neck was clearly the logical winning move.

It was 17-14, WFT. Hurts had just failed after he was given a point blank gift. Hurts actually had one drive that was not handed to him on a silver platter. The only hope was that Sudfeld would be good enough to take advantage of a defensive scheme designed to halt Hurts.

5 hours ago, evmiii said:

All I’m seeing online these days is about the WFT’s interest in Trey Lance.  It seems we used one of our three authorized college days at North Dakota State.  All indications seem to say we need to get ahead of Carolina at 8. (I’m not sure he gets past 4).  Assuming he is still there at 7, what would it cost to get Detroit’s pick?

Swap #1’s this year, first next year (2022), first next year ((2023).  If you knew he was the next Patrick Mahomes you take that deal without hesitation.  I’m not so sure what he is.  A great athlete, tough kid, strong arm, great wheels with some accuracy issues.

What does everyone think?  Do we take this deal if available.

I would barely trust Reid to make such a call, much less Turner.  Lance is much more like Cam, just hope we don't have a Kelvin Benjamin.

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I don't want us to trade up. If Mac Jones or someone falls to us great. Otherwise, Let's grab the best second or third round QB we can to sit and groom for a year while going with Heinicke, Fitzmagic, Mariota, or other.

I think Ron is more patient. He wants to build a SB contender team. That will take time. No need to hurry up. Build the lines first. 

• Like 1

Just now, bowhunter said:

We're drafting at #19 and not #4 because Ron was not patient

We are drafting #19 is because of our Defense and not because of our offense. No need to move up and sell the farm when you still need help in the secondary and the DL and need players a QB can throw to. You build the players on both side then you can stick any QB back there.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

We're drafting at #19 and not #4 because Ron was not patient

He would have lost the team if he kept Haskins at QB.  We all him when he was playing against Seattle and Carolina.  Dude was just straight awful.  You can't lose the locker room.

• Thanks 1

FWIW, I’m not advocating to trade up for anyone, but the notion sure seems to be gaining ground amongst those who like to talk about it.  I think I like Mac Jones more than most on this forum, but I don’t see him falling to 19.  I still think the most likely outcome is picking up Mariota or Darnold and hoping a new venue and scheme can push them to what everyone thought they would be coming out of college. (I prefer Mariotta of those two options.). 

I also wouldn’t be upset if we could pick up Kellen Mond in the 3rd to develop.  I think If we sign a free agent QB, we probably don’t draft one.  Ron likes Allen and Heinicke and we don’t need 4 guys unless Allen is an IR candidate.

We should have a better picture in the next couple weeks.

1 hour ago, Darth Tater said:

It was 17-14, WFT. Hurts had just failed after he was given a point blank gift. Hurts actually had one drive that was not handed to him on a silver platter. The only hope was that Sudfeld would be good enough to take advantage of a defensive scheme designed to halt Hurts.

Tell me you're not serious, please.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Tell me you're not serious, please.

Yep, they had no hope other than Sudfeld possibly taking advantage of the fact his game is different from what WFT had planned for. Did not say it was much of anything but it was obvious that Hurts was not going to do it.

7 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Yep, they had no hope other than Sudfeld possibly taking advantage of the fact his game is different from what WFT had planned for. Did not say it was much of anything but it was obvious that Hurts was not going to do it.

Beyond laughable. He pulled Hurts to lose the game on purpose. It's not even debatable. 

29 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

Hurts was pulled because there was a real chance he was going to lead the Eagles to victory.  I think he would’ve actually gotten them the meaningless W, if he had stayed in.  We were very fortunate that Petersen gave us that solid late in the game.

The idea that hurts was on pace to lead Philly to victory is unrealisitic.

If i remember correctly Hurts had a 35% completion percentage and minimal rushing yards. He looked unbelievably horrible out there.

You remove the names from the jerseys and any fanbase would beg to have a QB playing as inept as Hurts to be pulled.

Granted Sudfield was worse, but that is with revisionist history. You can't put up like 70 yards in 3 Qtrs and think everything is going swimmingly. When you don't have a set in stone starter, any coach would at least be eyeballing the backup. I'd be more concerned if he didn't.

Young QBs around the NFL can get benched for sneezing on a guy. (see Tua) It just gets swept under the rug when the coach pushes the right button and the team is successful.

Makes me a bit wary of having a really capable QB behind a young guy. That threat of a yank is always there, and that can ruin a player. I feel your better off just letting youngins take their lumps during a bad game.

5 minutes ago, Mooka said:

If you find the mic'd up, you can actually hear Sweat and Chase tell Hurts they could've had us if they left him in the game. 

A lot of things could happen.

I could win the lottery and live the rest of my days eating brains on some tropical beach.

It wasn't impossible for them to win the game, anybody can beat anybody, it was just unrealistic given the gameflow. They were losing when he left and had horrible field position to boot. Unless he found a way not to airmail 65% of his passes, not much was gonna change. Our lead was more likely to grow rather than shrink.

On a side note I don't think it was what thy were attempting but if Swat (intentional misspell) and Chase were intentionally trying to sow seeds of discontent that would have been amazing.

6 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

On a side note I don't think it was what thy were attempting but if Swat (intentional misspell) and Chase were intentionally trying to sow seeds of discontent that would have been amazing.

Nah they were just chatting after the game. These guys all played against each other in college. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zskins said:

I think Ron is more patient. He wants to build a SB contender team. That will take time. No need to hurry up. Build the lines first. 

I disagree. Ron proved to me he is impatient and wants to win now, considering that in his first year, and we had a losing record and everyone gave us no chance for the playoffs, he changed QB's when everyone thought it was premature to bench Haskins, all because he could see the division was there for the taking, if we got on a streak. Which we did. He did all that, despite the QB change being the most unpopular decision in the league, resulting in him being called all kinds of inappropriate names

And I believe he will fully attempt - and fully believe - this year's team can go all the way.

He doesn't seem like he's putting any limits on this team in any given year. Several other scenarios convince me of that too.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

8. Did you know? This is one for the "draft-a-quarterback" crowd. Darnold has posted a Total QBR of 46, 46 and 40 in his first three seasons. Since QBR began in 2006, Eli Manning (2016-18) is the only other quarterback to post three consecutive seasons with a sub-50 QBR (min. 300 attempts).

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/86090/plenty-of-potential-suitors-if-when-jets-opt-to-trade-sam-darnold

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, zskins said:

We are drafting #19 is because of our Defense and not because of our offense. No need to move up and sell the farm when you still need help in the secondary and the DL and need players a QB can throw to. You build the players on both side then you can stick any QB back there.

I really don't get this line of thinking. It's not the 1980s. 

1) Nowadays with FA and the cap the way it is you can only hold a stacked team together for 2-3 years before you have to start making tough choices on which top players to let walk.

2) Almost all recent history has shown that you can't just "stick any QB back there" and be a consistent threat to make a SB run. The teams that are perennial contenders have top QBs, period.

3) Even if you do get a hugely stacked team and some mediocre QB and you manage to somehow sneak into the SB, it's super rare and you're likely to only get one shot and then you're not going back (Flacco, Kaep, Jimmy G, Foles).

This is a QB driven league and if you want to be a team that's in the mix to go all the way most years over time you need that top franchise QB. Pretty much the entire NFL knows this. Ron and the FO seem to know it too given their recent statements about the position and the fact that they're pretty much openly looking for an upgrade there.

• Like 4