Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

17 hours ago, RWJ said:

True but he has more mass than TH however, TH is working on adding bulk to his frame.  :)

This is also true, that and Minshew is actually 3 years younger, yet has a larger body of work in the NFL to analyze. But still...

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Chris Simms on Lance...

Yeah to me Lance as a top 5 pick is nutty.

One year starter.

Played against inferior competition where his whole team was almost always clearly head and shoulders above their opponent by a wide margin.

Played on a very run heavy team with a very successful ground attack.

In 2019 threw the ball 20 or more times in only 6 out of his 16 games.

Most of his passes were off of PA and seemed to be predetermined reads (as Simms noted).

Yes he's obviously extremely talented and has plenty of top traits. But at this point as a prospect he's about 90% upside. I'd be fine with him if he fell to us at 19 and we could let him sit for a year. But taking him top 5 to me is insanely risky.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Yeah to me Lance as a top 5 pick is nutty.

One year starter.

Played against inferior competition where his whole team was almost always clearly head and shoulders above their opponent by a wide margin.

Played on a very run heavy team with a very successful ground attack.

In 2019 threw the ball over 20 time in only 6 out of his 16 games.

Most of his passes were off of PA and seemed to be predetermined reads (as Simms noted).

Yes he's obviously extremely talented and has plenty of top traits. But at this point as a prospect he's about 90% upside. I'd be fine with him if he fell to us at 19 and we could let him sit for a year. But taking him top 5 to me is insanely risky.

Maybe fell to the 2nd or 3rd.....no way at 19 IMO.

@mistertim if Lance had gone back for this season (being played now actually) and next season (fall) and came out as a R-Jr. next year he'd be the #1 pick in the 2022 draft. Wonder if he has any regrets about coming out and declaring himself for the draft even before NDSU played.

If he had a full season under his belt from the fall I'd probably feel differently.

But FCS is basically playing 2 seasons in a quick span ... Spring and Fall. He could have gotten a lot of tape out there and probably made a case for #1 easy in 2022.

23 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Dump Jimmy Gs contract, use the cash to pay Trent. Plug in Darnold for 2021.

If that really went down, that would be a truly remarkable situation for us. You remove the 49ers from the QB discussion altogether in 2021. Unless the Jets traded him to Carolina or Denver, I don't see another scenario that would be more beneficial for us.

Trade #19 and #51 to SF for #12 and take a QB there if one falls (in that scenario). Give them back their #2.

11 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If you go to twitter and type in the search "Washington Football Team" hit enter everyone is raving over Lance's workout.  Seriously!  Just putting this out there.  Wow!  😕

Atlanta will probably over draft him at #4 but likely the best scenario for him to sit behind Matt Ryan this year and not have to start.  Live arm but he needs a lot of work.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Atlanta will probably over draft him at #4 but likely the best scenario for him to sit behind Matt Ryan this year and not have to start.  Live arm but he needs a lot of work.

Yes.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Whoever falls in love with Lance will move up to get him.  You know who I like at #19, HigSkin.  :)  Many on this board don't like him.  He has no special qualities physically but he is smart and gets the job done.  :)

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Wow.  Allbright says this.  Doubt that happens.  Really do.  

• Like 1

I've been saying all along that the domino we need to fall here is Atlanta passing on QB. I'm legitimately starting to think QBs go 1-4 right now, assuming a team moves up to #3 to get Fields (Carolina, Denver, NE, etc)/

1. Jacksonville - Lawrence

2. NY Jets - Wilson

3. Carolina - Fields

4. Atlanta - Lance

5. Cincinnati - Sewell

6. Philly - Chase

7. Detroit - Waddle

8. Miami - Smith

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

Atlanta going from super safe Matt Ryan to super risky Lance would be interesting. I'm not sold on the idea that they'd do it at all unless they're looking to sit Lance for at least a year under Ryan and learn. Then again they have a new offensive minded HC who was Tannehill's OC in TN, so who knows.

I just see Lance as a guy with a super high ceiling and a super low floor. And to me his ceiling is really almost completely conjecture given how small his sample size is and how he did it all while not having to pass much and on a team that was overall dominant over pretty much every other team they faced.

Taking him top 5 is incredibly risky. Trading up to the top 3 for him (while probably giving up a ton of picks) is insanity IMO.

And I'm sure Lance looked good at his pro day. Most guys look good running scripted drills in shorts. Pro days are mostly meaningless to me.

I know it's just me being a Heinicke homer, but I think our present QB situation allows us time to season Lance and not rush him out. By the time 2022 rolls around, we could offer a very healthy and productive situation for Lance to flourish in. 

I don't like the idea of waiting until 2022 to draft a QB because we're only going to get so many years with this defensive front and 2021 appears to be a stacked draft for QB talent. Let's take advantage now with a trade up while we have cap space and give our franchise QB hopeful the best chance to succeed. 

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Atlanta going from super safe Matt Ryan to super risky Lance would be interesting. I'm not sold on the idea that they'd do it at all unless they're looking to sit Lance for at least a year under Ryan and learn.

I think that's probably the idea. Sit 1-2 years (probably 1) behind Ryan without a risk of having to see the field.

20 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Atlanta going from super safe Matt Ryan to super risky Lance would be interesting. I'm not sold on the idea that they'd do it at all unless they're looking to sit Lance for at least a year under Ryan and learn. Then again they have a new offensive minded HC who was Tannehill's OC in TN, so who knows.

I just see Lance as a guy with a super high ceiling and a super low floor. And to me his ceiling is really almost completely conjecture given how small his sample size is and how he did it all while not having to pass much and on a team that was overall dominant over pretty much every other team they faced.

Taking him top 5 is incredibly risky. Trading up to the top 3 for him (while probably giving up a ton of picks) is insanity IMO.

And I'm sure Lance looked good at his pro day. Most guys look good running scripted drills in shorts. Pro days are mostly meaningless to me.

He didnt really look that good in all honesty. He missed a ton of throws. 

9 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I know it's just me being a Heinicke homer, but I think our present QB situation allows us time to season Lance and not rush him out. By the time 2022 rolls around, we could offer a very healthy and productive situation for Lance to flourish in. 

I don't like the idea of waiting until 2022 to draft a QB because we're only going to get so many years with this defensive front and 2021 appears to be a stacked draft for QB talent. Let's take advantage now with a trade up while we have cap space and give our franchise QB hopeful the best chance to succeed. 

If the drafniks are right (they're quite possibly not) and Lance is destined to go in the top 5, we'd probably need to move up to 3 to get him. Going from 19 to 3 would cost us probably two 1sts (as in 2022 and 2023...not only including the one we swap this year) and two 2nds and maybe more. That's an insane amount to pay for a guy who is one of the biggest boom or bust prospects to come out in a long time.

I have a hard time seeing Ron and company doing that. They've already said they want to upgrade the position but they're not willing to mortgage the future. Which is exactly what that would be doing...and for a guy who's draft profile is mostly just the word "upside". 

I also have a hard time seeing them rolling with Allen and Heinicke without at least bringing some other vet in. But if they don't I could see Allen winning the job if his ankle is fully healed (not a sure thing). He was playing pretty well last season before he was injured. I know people love Heinicke and he played well against TB, but IMO if Allen is healthy the starting job is probably his to lose.

I'd be curious if they might take a flyer on a more affordable upside guy like Mond or Newman in the 2nd to 3rd round range.

After that Pro Day, and now supposed NFL Analysts propping Lance up in the top 5.... makes you wonder, are the agents paying these NFL analysts to prop up their clients on Twitter, reports, etc? 

Simply put, Lance isn't worth #3 pick... at least not at this point. He's nowhere near the BPA available at that level. Even QB-needy teams would foolish

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

After that Pro Day, and now supposed NFL Analysts propping Lance up in the top 5.... makes you wonder, are the agents paying these NFL analysts to prop up their clients on Twitter, reports, etc? 

Simply put, Lance isn't worth #3 pick... at least not at this point. He's nowhere near the BPA available at that level. Even QB-needy teams would foolish

Eh, I doubt I'd go that far (but I suppose anything is possible). To me it's much more of a sports media and draftnik hype echo chamber. And then you have someone like Chris Simms come along and say "wait, wut? no"

Someone still might bite on Lance in the top 5. But I also wouldn't be at all surprised to see him fall out of the top 10 and after that who knows.

• Like 1