Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

TH has legit wheels, Minshew is physically limited in every way. Though, he’s definitely a crafty effective runner. 100% Rather a QB have some sort of “ace in the hole”. 

The lack of velo on Minshew's passes will always hold him back from being a top 15 QB. He has one of the weakest arms in the league for sure. 

17 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Some see Lance as a young Cam Newton.  Also, there is a LT they are going to watch as well.  

Yep though I doubt Scott Turner is going there to watch Radunz.  Clearly, Lance is who he's primarily going to watch.  The O coordinator doesn't typically go to every pro day.  Also they already so Radunz up close in the Senior Bowl. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep though I doubt Scott Turner is going there to watch Radunz.  Clearly, Lance is who he's primarily going to watch.  The O coordinator doesn't typically go to every pro day.  Also they already so Radunz up close in the Senior Bowl. 

Oh understood about Turner.  This one and Alabama's will interest me.  Who goes to it?  With so many players being drafted from Alabama I'd expect the entire gang from the WFT and the NFL.  LOL.  Hope they have enough room.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Forgot to ask.  What does Breer mean about "Who teams send matters this year—only allowed 3 each."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Forgot to ask.  What does Breer mean about "Who teams send matters this year—only allowed 3 each."

Guessing if only three people per team can come so then who goes might be telling.  So for example Gribble, Hurney and Mayhew might make sense since those are the top guys as for the FO pertaining to the draft.  Maybe Stokes, too?  So Scott Turner being there for example bumps one of those guys out so the WFT believes its important for Turner to be there.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Guessing if only three people per team can come so then who goes might be telling.  So for example Gribble, Hurney and Mayhew might make sense since those are the top guys as for the FO pertaining to the draft.  Maybe Stokes, too?  So Scott Turner being there for example bumps one of those guys out so the WFT believes its important for Turner to be there.

Well, this answers my question about having enough room at Ala. Pro Day.  Still will be interesting to see who from WFT attends that one.  :)

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's a smokescreen. While those men are up there as a diversion, we've got a drone following Kellen Mond's every move.

Aircraft name is Redskins drONE

Honestly I don't discount this. Mayhew is not the draft guy. That's supposed to be Hurney. So I would be more interested in where he shows up. Now, the fact that Turner is there is more interesting because both our current QBs are because he attended pro days. But I'd think he's going to attend most of these pro days. 

• Like 1

Think we may see a move for another QB before Monday. Even if we are considering one in the draft too, I’m going to be fairy disappointed if we roll with just Heinicke and Allen until that stage. It may well have a distinct impact on our ability to recruit offensive talent at the start of free agency.

We’ve done too much rooting around, reportedly, to seriously but into the notion we have the definite answer in house. 

Actually looking forward to the next few days, could be fun....or very frustrating...:ols:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Otis Wonsley Posse said:

Mond seems like Jason Campbell 2.0; hard pass

That's interesting. I would think of Campbell as more accurate and of Mond as a better runner. One thing I like about Mond is that he has more attempts. What that means in this context is that he was able to stay healthy longer in college. And though he's a running QB (with some beautiful runs) who can stay healthy its a nice thing. Also, Campbell was getting 8.5 yards per attempt in college, whereas Mond has 7.1. But yards per attempt is heavily influenced by completion percentage. But even if we look at yards per completion, Mond has a lower yards per completion than Campbell. It does seem that Mond is less reliant on his deep ball than a Campbell, which is something that may frustrate Skins fans. 

This is an honest question... I don't really have any opinion on it in truth (despite my schtick) but curiousity is piqued...

Why are guys like Mond, Newman and Trask getting in on the conversation but a dude like Buechele isn't?

This isn't a loaded question. I am genuinely curious what it is that is making those guys stand out versus Buechele. Is it school affiliation? Stats? Film? I want to see what others are seeing and I am having a hard time.

Newman I get to a degree. Athletic. Strong. Has moments of brilliance. Accuracy reminds me a little of Haskins, but a mid round Haskins vs. a first round Haskins is a big difference and his legs can help him there. I worry about his processing a bit but I think he's a guy that can get better.

I actually even like Mond. I think people are a tad harsh on him. But consistency is going to be an issue for him for his career I think. He's just really up and down as a passer.

Trask I.... he's big? I don't see a lot from Trask. In the biggest moments he made the biggest mistakes. When he faced pressure he folded.

Buechele is athletic, a good processor, played on a less talented surrounding cast (though they've had some players at the skill spots over the last few years) and seems like he's well respected and not many red flags.

I don't think he belongs in the top 5 conversation, to be honest. But I do think he should at least be being discussed in that next group of guys. 

Again, I realize I've been on the Buechele bandwagon since forever so I know this post can be taken with eye rolls. But it's honestly meant as a "what am I missing" question that I'm hoping to get some info out of. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2

lol, listening to Sheehan talk up Darnold more.  A first round pick or a 2nd and 4th, lets get it done stuff.   Cringe worthy for me.  Sounds like Casserly took some steam out of him -- I missed the segment but he suggested he wasn't as high on Darnold.  I'll go back and listen. 

At this point I just hope they sign anyone in FA to stop Darnold.   Like I said its not even about Darnold per se.  I could care less if Darnold was a FA or fetched a ham sandwhich as for draft capital.  He'd be fine for me as some cheap roll of the dice guy.   I don't believe in him but I am open to being wrong and wouldn't care if he came cheap.   But If I am giving up a first or a 2nd and 4th for ANY of these roll of dice QBs then I am going to puke.   I've touted Mariota here some as one of my favs roll of dice guys but I'd puke if it were him too if it were for a 2nd and 4th.  

This is a great draft as for matching potentially BPA to need.  We can load up on the O line, WR, MLB.  To blow much of that for Darnold of all dudes.  Big time yuck for me.  I haven't minded giving up draft capital for someone like Stafford.  But I am not giving up big draft capital for a fixer up type. 

The thing about the Tannehill comparison that some love to use.  It is so wrong on every level.  Tannehill was a much better player in Miami than Darnold was with the Jets.  Tannehill in most of his career wasn't even coached by Gase.   And the trade compensation was a 4th rounder for Tannehill.  It wasn't a 2nd rounder and a 4th.  OK off my soap box and periodic rant against going after Darnold.  :ols:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

lol, listening to Sheehan talk up Darnold more.  A first round pick or a 2nd and 4th, lets get it done stuff.   Cringe worthy for me.  Sounds like Casserly took some steam out of him -- I missed the segment but he suggested he wasn't as high on Darnold.  I'll go back and listen. 

At this point I just hope they sign anyone in FA to stop Darnold.   Like I said its not even about Darnold per se.  I could care less if Darnold was a FA or fetched a ham sandwhich as for draft capital.  He'd be fine for me as some cheap roll of the dice guy.   I don't believe in him but I am open to being wrong and wouldn't care if he came cheap.   But If I am giving up a first or a 2nd and 4th for ANY of these roll of dice QBs then I am going to puke.   I've touted Mariota here some as one of my favs roll of dice guys but I'd puke if it were him too if it were for a 2nd and 4th.  

This is a great draft as for matching potentially BPA to need.  We can load up on the O line, WR, MLB.  To blow much of that for Darnold of all dudes.  Big time yuck for me.  I haven't minded giving up draft capital for someone like Stafford.  But I am not giving up big draft capital for a fixer up type. 

The thing about the Tannehill comparison that some love to use.  It is so wrong on every level.  Tannehill was a much better player in Miami than Darnold was with the Jets.  Tannehill in most of his career wasn't even coached by Gase.   And the trade compensation was a 4th rounder for Tannehill.  It wasn't a 2nd rounder and a 4th.  OK off my soap box and periodic rant against going after Darnold.  :ols:

Living in the Buffalo/NY market I see too many Jets games (thank God for the Bills making that a non-weekly occurrence). 

Everything we disliked about Haskins... Darnold is. He does the same things. Misses reads, holds the ball too long, makes the occasional play that makes you think he has a chance.

The biggest difference between the two is Darnold has been supported the whole way through and has had a bit more time to gain experience. 

Darnold's film coming out suggested he was a guy who had excellent developmental traits but needed a lot of work and was turnover prone and processed things a bit incorrectly.

His NFL film has remained consistent. So the change in his scouting report is to remove "excellent development potential" from it and you're left with: needs a lot of work and turnover prone and processes poorly."

I don't know why Darnold is a thing to so many people. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It really is annoying and I don’t get it. It’s obvious the one game of Darnold’s he has watched was his career day against this team

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Living in the Buffalo/NY market I see too many Jets games (thank God for the Bills making that a non-weekly occurrence). 

Everything we disliked about Haskins... Darnold is. He does the same things. Misses reads, holds the ball too long, makes the occasional play that makes you think he has a chance.

The biggest difference between the two is Darnold has been supported the whole way through and has had a bit more time to gain experience. 

Darnold's film coming out suggested he was a guy who had excellent developmental traits but needed a lot of work and was turnover prone and processed things a bit incorrectly.

His NFL film has remained consistent. So the change in his scouting report is to remove "excellent development potential" from it and you're left with: needs a lot of work and turnover prone and processes poorly."

I don't know why Darnold is a thing to so many people. 

Like you, I also get to see Jet games being in Florida/AFC East.   I don't always watch Miami but often do when they play the Jets because got some friends/relatives who are Jets fans.  My in laws are from NY -- more Giant then Jets fans but some Jets in the mix.  My neighbor is a big Jets fan. 

I've seen my share of Darnold games.  I even went back this year and watched 4 of his USC games and watched 4 NFL games including the one against us which was one of his best games IMO. 

I'd sum him up like this IMO he doesn't have good vision/see the field, makes poor decisions, and his accuracy is sketchy.   He has some Manziel/Mayfield/Romo backyard style in his play (this is what the Kipers, etc keep touting about him) of escaping pressure in the pocket and making plays on the move in off script plays and he is comfortable rolling out in the pocket on boots.  It's that coupled with him having good (not special) arm strength that keeps some of these mock drafters who swore by him before that draft to continue to swear by him now.  

The thing with me where he reminds me so much of Rosen is this.  When you go back and watch even his college games, he makes so many dumb decisions.  Some of which he got away with.  And I don't think Rosen or Darnold are dumb guys so I am presuming he just doesn't see the field well.  And neither have pin point accuracy.  So if you routinely have turnovers and your accuracy is "meh", I just don't think you are likely going to be anything special in this league.

Also for whatever reason QBs with fumble issues don't tend to fix the issue.  See Daniel Jones.  That was one of my main issues with Jones in college was the fumbles and it has haunted him in the NFL.  Same thing exactly for Darnold.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

15 minutes ago, method man said:

It really is annoying and I don’t get it. It’s obvious the one game of Darnold’s he has watched was his career day against this team

I'll give Sheehan that at least he reconginzes that many don't agree with him. :ols:   He comes off almost eager to give up big compensation for Darnold as if the bigger the compensation the more it justifies that he is right about him.    Sheehan is my favorite among the guys who cover the team but I don't always agree with him -- this being a case in point. 

• Thanks 1