Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 hour ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@Jericho for me if we go FA, I just want someone who can pass it well. Winston, Fitz, Trubisky all pass it better than Mariota. There are only so many first downs he can run for.  I find him struggling to get through his reads and get the ball out quickly. That may be do to his confidence being rocked by injuries and his subpar seasons.  And running may have contributed to all his injuries. I’m not out on him, but I’d prob push for a better passer first before I settled on him. 
Im ok with Winston, Trubisky, Mariota, or Fitz of the FA. Just know what you are getting into.

they all have worts.. 

That's fair. I don't hate Mariota, but he's a very conservative QB. He's far more mobile than other options, but he also tends to get hurt. Which impacts availability and/or effectiveness. And he's not the passer the others are. I'd also agree that all of these options are flawed. If you ranked all the QBs in the NFL, these guys likely rank somewhere between 20 and 40. Which is basically somewhere between a low-end starter or a high-end back-up. The odds any of them grow into anything more are remote. So it's kind of like picking the smartest kid in summer school. You take your best shot, but whatever you pick you make will likely be just temporary. I'd lean towards Winston myself, but none of them are radically different from the others IMO. 

I do think that whatever option, if any, that the team wants, there should be little trouble signing. It seems only Chicago and New England (and maybe New Orleans) are in the market for starters and I doubt each franchise value the same guy.

Edited by Jericho
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@Jericho for me if we go FA, I just want someone who can pass it well. Winston, Fitz, Trubisky all pass it better than Mariota. There are only so many first downs he can run for.  I find him struggling to get through his reads and get the ball out quickly. That may be do to his confidence being rocked by injuries and his subpar seasons.  And running may have contributed to all his injuries. I’m not out on him, but I’d prob push for a better passer first before I settled on him. 
Im ok with Winston, Trubisky, Mariota, or Fitz of the FA. Just know what you are getting into.

they all have worts.. 

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Mariota didn't just settle for a chump change backup spot. I got a fairly lucrative contract, It was also with an organization/head coach that has always believed in him, wanted to work with him and had Nathan Peterman as the backup.

If they go with him it is because they believe in his abilities and do not trust the other two to take over the helm. In Heinicke it would be injury history more than ability I assume

@COWBOY-KILLA- I agree with you on Fitz and Winston but they may be looking a little safer yet mobile and looking for 3-4 years. Fitz is a great leader but can be erratic at times and will only be here 2 years tops. Winston has been ore erratic but young....I just can't figure Tribisky

I guess you can start eyeing these ;)

EwKYAtgXYAEGRH-.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

Talking of percentages, just realised Brandon Sherff is earning 10% of our cap when he signs his franchise Tag 😠

Haskins is about 2.5% to not play for us.  Do you feel better or worse now?

(not that I disagree with your overall thought)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

For those still wanting to add a veteran QB, who goes? Heineke who just got a pretty solid deal or Allen who they just tendered, and have spoken very highly of? Neither are going to be QB3.

Of course one of them would be QB 3. They signed deals, they're on the team. If we bring in a vet who's likely to start (Fitz for example), Allen and Heinicke will probably battle for the #2 spot and whoever loses gets the #3 spot. What do you think is going to happen? Either of those guys are going say "I refuse to play QB3 and I either want a trade or I'm retiring"? Yeah, neither of them are good enough to trade or have that kind of leverage. Heinicke had been out of football for almost 2 years and was working on an engineering degree FFS. 

Edited by mistertim

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

For those still wanting to add a veteran QB, who goes? Heineke who just got a pretty solid deal or Allen who they just tendered, and have spoken very highly of? Neither are going to be QB3.

One of them will almost certainly be QB3.  The other will battle for the QB1 spot (and likely lose depending on if it’s a FA QB they’re battling or a rookie drafted).  Let’s be clear, Allen sucks, and Heinecke only got a call from us, because we literally had no other options left.  He was out of the league for 2 years until we called him, and has only had 5 quarters of good football to his name in the NFL.

Allen, nor Heinecke should be assumed the starting QB in Week 1 next year, and if one of them is the starting QB, we should probably not expect much from the team in terms of competing for the NFC, much less winning the division.

Edited by samy316

@Malapropismic Depository I wouldn’t mind it. I think he is the most talented and accomplished (statistically) guy available. He’s also the most combustible and volatile. I’d put Fitz right there w/ volatility as well, without the upside given he’s 38. 

Winston to me has the most upside IF his lightbulb went on during his time under Payton and Brees. He basically went to quarterback school this last year.  And if the light comes on, you’re talking about having your QB for a while, he’s 27. That’s why to me, he’d be my roll of the dice.

I just know how most people feel about him so I don’t push it on here too much. He can throw TD’s, he’s got 122, if he can come back down to earth with his turnovers it could be a coupe. Consider me intrigued on Trubisky as well.  If Winston can’t get his turnovers reduced and the season is still in hand, you can always go to  back to Heinicke or Allen..

But yeah if this season is a “pass” or “dart throw” at QB, give me JW. 

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If we bring in a vet who's likely to start (Fitz for example)

This is my point. Why would we bring Fitz in--he's older, slower and isn't much better than what we have, is he? He definitely doesn't fit what the team is looking for at the position. The logic, based on what the coaches have said, doesn't point to another veteran. I could be wrong, it does happen on occasion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I haven't seen you post in weeks and you show up that fast for your boy :ols:

I post. Just in season right now and time is of the essence. I haven't read a ton but I do try to keep up with you crazies :ols:

Also, Buechele is better than every QB you listed.

I may or may not be moonlighting as his agent.

• Haha 3

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

This is my point. Why would we bring Fitz in--he's older, slower and isn't much better than what we have, is he? He definitely doesn't fit what the team is looking for at the position. The logic, based on what the coaches have said, doesn't point to another veteran. I could be wrong, it does happen on occasion.

I suppose it could be Mariota.

And yes Fitz is older and slower than Allen or Heinicke but I seriously doubt that if you asked all the coaches around the NFL who's the best QB out of the three you'd have many, if any at all, say it wasn't Fitz. 

So yeah IMO Fitz is definitely better than what we have. Not by a huge amount, but better. Allen is a decent but streaky QB. Heinicke played well in one game and that's all we know about him so I think it would be a bit of a stretch to assume he'd beat out Fitz given his incredibly small sample size.

And I'm not sure why you think it doesn't point to another veteran. They've been open about wanting to upgrade their QB situation. They apparently went pretty hard after Stafford and are still looking around now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

And I'm not sure why you think it doesn't point to another veteran.

What's the point of another stop-gap, journeyman veteran? Allen and Heinike are at least young, but most likely really good backups. If we don't have a rookie QB on the roster, or some plan, it just feels like we're spinning our wheels at the most important position.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

What's the point of another stop-gap, journeyman veteran? Allen and Heinike are at least young, but most likely really good backups. If we don't have a rookie QB on the roster, or some plan, it just feels like we're spinning our wheels at the most important position.

I can agree with your reasoning here in general. Though for me, a stopgap journeyman QB would likely (and hopefully) mean that we're going to be drafting a guy as well. Who that is depends, obviously. Who do they like? Which guy falls in the first? How far would they have to fall before we'd pull the trigger and move up? 

There's also the possibility that they'd be looking more for a talented but developmental guy like a Mond or Newman after round 1. Lance is a developmental guy as well IMO but he's not falling out of the 1st.

It also depends on who the journeyman is. If it's Fitz, then yeah you're probably not getting more than a year or two from him at the most. If it's a guy like Mariota or Winston then it's more likely that the coaches hope he can improve with a fresh start to where he wouldn't even end up being a stopgap. 

Edited by mistertim

31 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If Buechele ends up as a bust, will the call him "French Toast" ?

Don't speak of such things as they are lacking vision... 

Wow, so many jokes that would contain spoilers for a popular TV show here that I am leaving out. Just know I want to. 

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

FA will say a lot.  If we get Mariota, Fitzpatrick etc. then it lessens the chance of a QB early, if at all.  If we go in FA and don't sign a QB I can see Jones/Lance falling to us or close enough to move up several spots.  

I wouldn't count on the Top 5 QBs falling.  I doubt the Top 5 gets beyond San Francisco at 12.  More than likely, they all go Top 10. 

20 minutes ago, The Rook said:

After listening to Ian Rappaport on Rich Eisen, I expect Brees to retire and Winston to stay in NO, barring a Wilson trade.

:229:The Rook 

I feel more assured, since you pointed out that you listened to him, as opposed to read a tweet under his name.

That's due to all the fake Rappaport accounts. So I imagine if you "heard" him say it, then it likely was not an impostor.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Wyndorf25 said:

I dunno about giving up anything for Minshew. Gardner is basically Taylor with a mustache.

True but he has more mass than TH however, TH is working on adding bulk to his frame.  :)

• Like 1