Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

25 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If the drafniks are right (they're quite possibly not) and Lance is destined to go in the top 5, we'd probably need to move up to 3 to get him. Going from 19 to 3 would cost us probably two 1sts (as in 2022 and 2023...not only including the one we swap this year) and two 2nds and maybe more. That's an insane amount to pay for a guy who is one of the biggest boom or bust prospects to come out in a long time.

I have a hard time seeing Ron and company doing that. They've already said they want to upgrade the position but they're not willing to mortgage the future. Which is exactly what that would be doing...and for a guy who's draft profile is mostly just the word "upside". 

I also have a hard time seeing them rolling with Allen and Heinicke without at least bringing some other vet in. But if they don't I could see Allen winning the job if his ankle is fully healed (not a sure thing). He was playing pretty well last season before he was injured. I know people love Heinicke and he played well against TB, but IMO if Allen is healthy the starting job is probably his to lose.

I'd be curious if they might take a flyer on a more affordable upside guy like Mond or Newman in the 2nd to 3rd round range.

I wouldn't consider pulling the trigger before pick 10. Too much risk involved with too little film. But trading up 6-8 picks to get someone with a truly special arm, good pocket presence and high level athleticism doesn't sound so bad to me. 

23 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

After that Pro Day, and now supposed NFL Analysts propping Lance up in the top 5.... makes you wonder, are the agents paying these NFL analysts to prop up their clients on Twitter, reports, etc? 

Simply put, Lance isn't worth #3 pick... at least not at this point. He's nowhere near the BPA available at that level. Even QB-needy teams would foolish

I think he’s a great pick for Atlanta. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I wouldn't consider pulling the trigger before pick 10. Too much risk involved with too little film. But trading up 6-8 picks to get someone with a truly special arm, good pocket presence and high level athleticism doesn't sound so bad to me. 

To me I suppose it all comes down to a couple things when it comes to your above scenario:

1) How sold are Rivera and the rest of the coaches/FO on Lance and their ability to mold him and/or mold their offense to fit him.

2) How much it would cost to move up those 6-8 picks. 

Obviously Rivera and his people have forgotten more about football than I know so if they're sold on Lance it definitely trumps my opinion and I'd trust them. Then it all just comes down to the price and what their limit is.

But personally I do agree with you: I wouldn't consider pulling the trigger on Lance before pick 10 either. 

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

A second round pick (which the 49ers have a high one) for Darnold is nutty enough. But now we're supposed to believe the Niners wouldn't even start Darnold? Or are going to pay Jimmy G 20+ million to backup? I call BS

Fun fact.  The 49ers traded a 2nd and 4th round pick for Steve Young (who was considered a bust at the time).  They did this even though Joe Montana was their clear starter.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nerm said:

Fun fact.  The 49ers traded a 2nd and 4th round pick for Steve Young (who was considered a bust at the time).  They did this even though Joe Montana was their clear starter.  

To be fair, Young didn't actually become the starter until he was 30 years old. He literally sat and learned behind Montana for 4 years before taking the helm.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Going to have to get a QB in free agency or via trade if we are looking to add. Screwed picking #19, as we all knew at seasons end really. 

Jones might fall to #19, 74.  Just saying. :)

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

What exactly, is his role again ?

It gets confusing about everyone's role, because seemingly we have more FO men and Personnel men in "high places" than any other team, or any time in the past for us.

Mayhew, Hurney report their info to RR.  RR makes the final decision(s).  That's how I understand it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Mayhew, Hurney report their info to RR.  RR makes the final decision(s).  That's how I understand it. 

And Doug Williams is basically the last cheerleader left on the team, assigned with motivating the current players, right ?

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Also, keep in mind, they made out with the highest total value of Comp Picks, like the 3rd and 4th round, due to the loss of Brady (including the very highest 3rd Round Comp Pick, and the 2nd highest 4th Round Comp Pick, to go along with all their other picks)

So, that could help them, at least a little bit, to spice up a package of picks to trade up for a Franchise QB. Just speculating.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I feel about Mac Jones the way I felt about Daniel Jones in 2019: I really hope someone overdrafts him and that helps push other players down closer to us.

I don't dislike the guy as a prospect, but IMO he and Daniel Jones are both those safe "high floor" guys who also probably have a pretty low to moderate ceiling (though for different reasons...I'm not making a direct skills/play comparison between them).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

Not really. There weren't all that many to begin with and most of us wanted nothing to do with Newton anyways. 

I never saw us bringing in a vet starter in the mediocre mold. It's either going to be a rookie, a fringe starter vet to hold the reigns for a bit or compete, or a high end trade guy.

Fitzpatrick will be a "oh ****, we missed, let's get a guy that can start if we need him" type for many. It wouldn't shock me to see guys like Fitzy wait until after the draft unless someone throws big cash at him. 

Winston and Mariota are the next blocks to fall.

If the majority of people view Newton as trash then why is New England in such a hurry to lock him up? From what I've read both McDaniels and Belicheck have said nothing but positive things about Cam and today they put their money where their mouth is. They didn't want him to get to free agency for a reason...they must see something in him they like?

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What exactly, is his role again ?

It gets confusing about everyone's role, because seemingly we have more FO men and Personnel men in "high places" than any other team, or any time in the past for us.

from what i've heard Mayhew does veterans and free agents. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

If the majority of people view Newton as trash then why is New England in such a hurry to lock him up? From what I've read both McDaniels and Belicheck have said nothing but positive things about Cam and today they put their money where their mouth is. They didn't want him to get to free agency for a reason...they must see something in him they like?

Or maybe New England realizes everyone knows they are on the down hill run and out of the running for awhile so they got the best they could. 

I was really happy Newton signed with NE as it removes that temptation.  Between Winston and Mariota, I think I'd rather have Winston though.  He has proven he can throw for a ton of yards if someone can just fix his interceptions.  I really think Allen or Heinicke will start the season though.  They both know the offense pretty well and it was like night and day when Allen took over (before getting hurt).

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Familiarity and they have no other options at QB heading into FA/Draft where they may not land another guy. Landing Newton on an incentive laden deal a year after he was their starter is a no brainer for them.

Just now, KDawg said:

Familiarity and they have no other options at QB heading into FA/Draft where they may not land another guy. Landing Newton on an incentive laden deal a year after he was their starter is a no brainer for them.

This makes sense, they also must like his attitude in case they draft a QB in the 1st round so Cam can pass the torch without issue.