Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

39 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It was not a take.

His exact words were, Dwayne Haskins  was "the best QB at his age I've ever seen"

The qualifier of course, and the only qualifier was "at his age". But even with that qualifier, it's still an outlandish statement.

And this current draft discussion here actually, is about 'QB's his age'

And I remember when that Meyer quote was originally posted in the Haskins thread, before he bornbed, during TC when he was so hyped up, WFT fans were actually lapping up that quote like it was absolute fact.

I think he meant BS take as in "Urban was blowing smoke", not as in "He never said it".

That was around the same time there were reportedly multiple other sources within the Ohio State organization who had given warnings about Haskins not having very good study habits and being a bit immature/lazy. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It was not a take.

His exact words were, Dwayne Haskins  was "the best QB at his age I've ever seen"

The qualifier of course, and the only qualifier was "at his age". But even with that qualifier, it's still an outlandish statement.

And this current draft discussion here actually, is about 'QB's his age'

And I remember when that Meyer quote was originally posted in the Haskins thread, before he bornbed, during TC when he was so hyped up, WFT fans were actually lapping up that quote like it was absolute fact.

His career is still not over. He could turn out better than Brady. Watch out league.

The tentacles of the NY media market have quite some reach. The Jets can get info out, no matter how absurd. There isn't a single team in the league interested in Darnold as a starter. Not one single team. So the prospect of anybody offering anything even remotely near a 1st or 2nd rounder for the kid is absurd. Stop the madness. And no, he is not going to end up in Ashburn.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

The tentacles of the NY media market have quite some reach. The Jets can get info out, no matter how absurd. There isn't a single team in the league interested in Darnold as a starter. Not one single team. So the prospect of anybody offering anything even remotely near a 1st or 2nd rounder for the kid is absurd. Stop the madness. And no, he is not going to end up in Ashburn.

There were also people who said that Stafford wouldn’t get a first rounder

9 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

There were also people who said that Stafford wouldn’t get a first rounder

Darnold ain't Stafford. It's like Barney Fife versus Dirty Harry. I was definitely intrigued about the prospect of having Stafford as our QB, but man.....no way to giving up anything whatsoever for Darnold. Nothing. This might be the only scenario where a ham sandwich carries more weight than whatever else is offered on the other end of the deal.

1 hour ago, JoggingGod said:

There wasn’t one person who thought that. There is actually some basis to comparing Wilson and Lawrence.

You can find a guy to support anything.

You can find predraft articles about Burrow being not as good as Tua.

You can find predraft articles about Trev being worse than Wilson

You can find predraft articles about Chase not being as good as K'lavon

https://sportsnaut.com/chase-young-draft-not-best-player-nfl-scout/

The comparisons will ALWAYS be made. Does not matter how bad the take is.

Edited by FootballZombie

20 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Brady was a 6th rounder who barely made the team as a rookie.  If it weren't for coaches, he would have been relegated to history's dustbin.  They also rebuilt the team several times during his tenure.  Roethlisberger?  His first SB came after one of the worst seasons for a SB winner. Wilson, he has only been a small part of the franchise success over those years and may be part of the problem that the team has been less than it could be. Rodgers sat on the bench for multiple years and was the QB for several of those losing years.  Peyton is the only one.

This is silly. Watch Brady at Michigan in his final college game. Beat back Drew Henson, everyone's favorite multisport star that everyone wanted to wrestle control over the QB job away from him, beat Alabama and Shaun Alexander's career game in an epic bowl finale to his Michigan career, everything that Brady was, could be captured in that final game and his fight to win back and hold onto that gig. 

Aaron Rodgers was Aaron Rodgers at Cal, just watch his duel with USC in his final year where Cal, Freaking CAL, nearly knocked out Pete Carrol's #1 ranked epic USC side while Rodgers was setting a school record for consecutive completions in the biggest game Cal played in several decades. 

Ben Roth jumped from Miami of Ohio to a conservative run first Pittsburgh team. Not exactly surprising that it took a bit of time to acclimate to the NFL from the Mid-American Conference. 

Wilson? You're depiction of him is farcical in the extreme. Seattle was a sub .500 team struggling badly till he got there. He's been a top 12 QB in the league every single season, and four times ranked inside the top 5. The fact that they've basically saddled him with garbage WR's his entire career until '19, and a run first dinosaur incompetent's as the OC's is not on him and the fact that he consistently was either top 6 (4 of 9 years) or 7th-11th (the other 5 years) despite all that tells you all you need to know. But this might help. Three years before Wilson, 5-11, 7-9, 7-9, and the 3 years after he arrived, 11-5, 13-3, 12-4 with only one season of less than double digit wins in his 9 year career (9-7). 

Coach worship is a problem, pretending that it's coaches making this magic happen, and not coaches taking advantage of elite talent (or failing too) that tells the story is beyond me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

This is silly. Watch Brady at Michigan in his final college game. Beat back Drew Henson, everyone's favorite multisport star that everyone wanted to wrestle control over the QB job away from him, beat Alabama and Shaun Alexander's career game in an epic bowl finale to his Michigan career, everything that Brady was, could be captured in that final game and his fight to win back and hold onto that gig. 

Aaron Rodgers was Aaron Rodgers at Cal, just watch his duel with USC in his final year where Cal, Freaking CAL, nearly knocked out Pete Carrol's #1 ranked epic USC side while Rodgers was setting a school record for consecutive completions in the biggest game Cal played in several decades. 

Ben Roth jumped from Miami of Ohio to a conservative run first Pittsburgh team. Not exactly surprising that it took a bit of time to acclimate to the NFL from the Mid-American Conference. 

Wilson? You're depiction of him is farcical in the extreme. Seattle was a sub .500 team struggling badly till he got there. He's been a top 12 QB in the league every single season, and four times ranked inside the top 5. The fact that they've basically saddled him with garbage WR's his entire career until '19, and a run first dinosaur incompetent's as the OC's is not on him and the fact that he consistently was either top 6 (4 of 9 years) or 7th-11th (the other 5 years) despite all that tells you all you need to know. But this might help. Three years before Wilson, 5-11, 7-9, 7-9, and the 3 years after he arrived, 11-5, 13-3, 12-4 with only one season of less than double digit wins in his 9 year career (9-7). 

Coach worship is a problem, pretending that it's coaches making this magic happen, and not coaches taking advantage of elite talent (or failing too) that tells the story is beyond me. 

Honestly, the Brady thing is just completely pointless to even try and compare. Nobody could have really predicted it. It was a once in a lifetime thing.

Trying to find the "next Brady" in the lower rounds as your QB strategy is basically like having a long term financial plan that consists of buying one or two $1 lottery tickets a week because someone once won $50 million on one of those same tickets years ago. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Honestly, the Brady thing is just completely pointless to even try and compare. Nobody could have really predicted it. It was a once in a lifetime thing.

Trying to find the "next Brady" in the lower rounds as your QB strategy is basically like having a long term financial plan that consists of buying one or two $1 lottery tickets a week because someone once won $50 million on one of those same tickets years ago. 

No doubt. The hit rate w/QB’s outside of round 1 is bad enough. The day 3 hit rate is so bad it virtually makes it a pointless use of draft capital. I was taking issue w /the focus on things other than the players themselves w/regards to organizational success (particularly coaching). Brady was always Brady, take it from someone who ran track w/his older sister Nancy. But Brady himself as a QB finding strategy is as pointless as trying to recreate the factors that made Jordan or 1997-2009 Tiger Woods. These are unicorns.

2 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Man, it's now sounding like Field's is inexplicably going to go after Wilson. What would it take to move up for him? I'd trade almost anything to get that done. 

I don’t watch a lot of college ball so it's hard for me to say.  Was impressed by him against Clemson big time though.  If Rivera thinks he's the guy, I imagine a 19, a 2nd, 3rd, and future 1st might do it.  Would you go for that?

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Finding the "next Brady" is why I see the coaches and front office as so important. Not just in proper development but in recognition that a guy has talent that can be developed and having patience to wait for him to get it. Tom's greatest attributes were intangibles and things you cannot see on film like work ethic along with ability to know the right work to do, competitiveness and football IQ. These are not thing you learn by watching film and listening to what others say. You understand you don't just want to look at highlight but low lights.

1 hour ago, Darth Tater said:

Finding the "next Brady" is why I see the coaches and front office as so important. Not just in proper development but in recognition that a guy has talent that can be developed and having patience to wait for him to get it. Tom's greatest attributes were intangibles and things you cannot see on film like work ethic along with ability to know the right work to do, competitiveness and football IQ. These are not thing you learn by watching film and listening to what others say. You understand you don't just want to look at highlight but low lights.

Nobody is going to find the next Brady because there won't be one. He's a one and done thing. Trying to recreate finding the greatest QB to ever play the game in the 6th round of the draft is a fool's errand. I just wish people would stop referencing him when trying to pump up their favorite current low round guy. It's nonsensical. My lottery ticket comparison was apt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

What this means is that they've had the conversation and she said no. And she's still saying no. But Alex is approaching this Cobra Kai style and saying the conversation isn't over until she says yes. 

He's not playing again. 

Reading some of the comments from people who read that tweet by Ben Standing I concur with the guy who asks the question "why wouldn't he just wait to be released instead of retiring?" Financially this makes all the sense in the world. Just wait to be released, collect your money and retire. Alex should be in no hurry to announce his retirement but he'd also be wise to never play again....too much risk.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Man, it's now sounding like Field's is inexplicably going to go after Wilson. What would it take to move up for him? I'd trade almost anything to get that done. 

Wilson is going ahead of him now because NFL front offices have been listening to ol' Bacon from ExtremeSkins👍Wilson is going to have a great career as long as his situation isn't completely terrible. 

I'm honestly gunshy with Ohio State QBs now, which is completely illogical. 

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Reading some of the comments from people who read that tweet by Ben Standing I concur with the guy who asks the question "why wouldn't he just wait to be released instead of retiring?" Financially this makes all the sense in the world. Just wait to be released, collect your money and retire. Alex should be in no hurry to announce his retirement but he'd also be wise to never play again....too much risk.

The only risk that we know for certain is the same risk that most QB's in their late 30s face, and, unlike most QBs that age who are really just at best members of the Hall of the Good, he has got a lot going for him now to start his post football career. That is, unlike many football players in their late 30s, the risk of retiring is near 0. He doesn't need more money, he does seem to have the intelligence, charisma and desire to be successful in anything from business to charity to politics to coaching and he has a pretty positive public image.