Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Reread my response.  I had to reword it.

I thought you had the train in the right track but then you went and edited and the train derailed again :ols:

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

Because of us taking on his salary?

No. That’s the joke. Holy cow, man. 

I want nothing to do with Darnold. I want them to give up 2 for 19 in compensation for taking him off their hands... 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I thought you had the train in the right track but then you went and edited and the train derailed again :ols:

No. That’s the joke. Holy cow, man. 

I want nothing to do with Darnold. I want them to give up 2 for 19 in compensation for taking him off their hands... 

If it's a joke then fine but 2 for 19 we take on Darnold's salary 

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If it's a joke then fine but 2 for 19 we take on Darnold's salary 

I guess if we got Darnold and #2 overall and they got our #19 we could turn around and trade Darnold for another pick.  That'd be cool.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I...

I don’t have words. Beyond the fact that the joke is still whooshing...

He’s on a rookie deal...

Been a long day, KDawg.  Sorry.  I'm with you now. :)

6 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Aaaaaand what was the common denominator among those teams?  

Um... Not being the Redskins?! 

6 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Come on man.  Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Roethlisberger...versus only the Ravens on your side of the point.

And to bring it all home, you need an incredible roster to win the SB with a QB deficit....Imagine trying to fit Monk, Clark, Sanders, Bynes, Riggs, Lachey, McKenzie, Bostic, Schlereth, Jacoby, Grimm, Mann, Stokes, Williams, Johnson, Gathers, Coleman, Millen, Gouveia, Marshall, Green, Mayhew, and Copeland, Edwards under a salary cap in the free agent era.

And 91 Ryp wasn't even a deficit!

Dont forget Chip Lohmiller! ... He a Dude.  😆

Edited by petey hodge

I’ll start this by saying I don’t want Darnold :ols:

but if we are considering a trade, I would propose something like this

Jets get #19

We get a second #34, a third #66 plus Darnold

That values Darnold as a mid day 3 pick, we end up with five day 2 picks, and the appeal for the Jets is that they end up with 3 picks in the top 23 of the draft. That is a haul to try and tempt the Texans with for Watson.

If we can’t get a top 15 NFL QB, the mistake we shouldn’t make is to leave ourselves hamstrung with a middle of the road guy who is serviceable but on a decent chunk of our salary cap.

In that case I’d rather build in other areas and roll with a wildcard on the cheap for a season, none of this Andy Dalton rubbish though, I’m talking Fitzpatrick or Cam for a year

And I know I know you can catch a lotta heat on here for suggesting guys like that, but it’s not my first choice it’s just a cheap exciting option for a season

1 hour ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

If we can’t get a top 15 NFL QB, the mistake we shouldn’t make is to leave ourselves hamstrung with a middle of the road guy who is serviceable but on a decent chunk of our salary cap.

In that case I’d rather build in other areas and roll with a wildcard on the cheap for a season, none of this Andy Dalton rubbish though, I’m talking Fitzpatrick or Cam for a year

And I know I know you can catch a lotta heat on here for suggesting guys like that, but it’s not my first choice it’s just a cheap exciting option for a season

Fitz has been suggested and he might be viable, even though I think he's overrated...he's at least fun to watch. 

Cam? No, just no.

Fitz is a streaky QB who's a great locker room guy. Cam is a ****ty QB who's a pain in the ass personality-wise. Hard pass. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Fitz has been suggested and he might be viable, even though I think he's overrated...he's at least fun to watch. 

Cam? No, just no.

Fitz is a streaky QB who's a great locker room guy. Cam is a ****ty QB who's a pain in the ass personality-wise. Hard pass. 

He gets this quite a lot, and to be honest I don’t have much knowledge of him as a guy during his NFL career, I understand he’s conducted himself poorly in interviews before

To play devils advocate all the reports you hear from people in the know is that the guy is as hard a worker as you’ll find and really does commit to the job

Surely something I’m missing? 

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

He gets this quite a lot, and to be honest I don’t have much knowledge of him as a guy during his NFL career, I understand he’s conducted himself poorly in interviews before

To play devils advocate all the reports you hear from people in the know is that the guy is as hard a worker as you’ll find and really does commit to the job

Surely something I’m missing? 

Even if he's not the diva sort of personality that has been claimed in the past...he's still a ****ty QB. Fitz is much better and we know he's a good locker room guy.

9 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

The options are slim and unappealing.

Everything would cost too much for guys who might not even beat out the QB's we already have.  Nobody on the trading block is close to reliable or developed (Darnold, Mariota), the one QB we might be able to trade up for probably needs to sit and develop for a year (Lance), the other one that might fall in our laps (Jones) is impossible to separate his ability with the utterly dominant supporting cast...I mean, the last time a WR won Heisman before Smith was 29 years ago.  The Free Agents are either really old (Fitzpatrick) or already looking washed up (Dalton, Newton), or a bust (Trubisky).

We've reportedly inquired about Carr and Watson.  We know we had a competitive offer for Stafford.  Rumor has it we haven't called teams about trading for Mariota or Darnold, and we know we didn't call about Wentz.  This Front Office is looking for an already developed and competent QB.  That eliminates Trubisky in free agency, and leaves only Fitzpatrick.

QB situation doesn't look fixable this off-season unless our in-house options suddenly get better.  At this point, it is what it is, and 2021 is going to be about roster development and setting us up for a better situation to land a QB in 2022.  That is, unless in-house options suddenly get better, but we all know the probability of that.

Great post and unappealing is the nice way of putting it

Fortunately there are some positives:

Heinicke, he infused life into the whole team, organization and fans. He at least will be given an opportunity to start

Allen, we have him on the cheap for one year

Smith, the have an option whether to bring him back or not

The only confirmed QB's that the team has inquired about have been Stafford, Carr and Watson. These are all legit proven starters who could lead the team for years to come. No stop gaps. They have played it pretty cool so far. 

So we are in a better place than other teams with many options.

50 minutes ago, max21 said:

I like the idea of Mariota, maybe have a Tannehill like comeback 

Looked an intriguing prospect for us, but then there was a lot of patter about his contract going from $10m to $20m if he becomes a starter somewhere

Mariota for $10m is interesting for $20m not worth looking at in the slightest 

6 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Jets get #19

Why do you feel we should give up a #1 pick for that guy?

Only way I give up the #19 pick for Darnold is for the Jets #1 pick next year otherwise we wait till he hits free agency.

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

I...

I don’t have words. Beyond the fact that the joke is still whooshing...

He’s on a rookie deal...

Don't put the swap 1sts too seriously, the Jets also have #23.

6 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Jets get #19

That values Darnold as a mid day 3 pick, we end up with five day 2 picks, and the appeal for the Jets is that they end up with 3 picks in the top 23 of the draft. That is a haul to try and tempt the Texans with for Watson.

But 23 wouldn't be terrible.  If we sat at 19 on draft day and had 5 guys we liked fairly equally, I'd go 19 to 23 and that be it.  Basically a 4th rounder.  I still wouldn't be happy, but that would be minimal damage.

Edited by jsharrin55
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

Don't put the swap 1sts too seriously, the Jets also have #23.

But 23 wouldn't be terrible.  If we sat at 19 on draft day and had 5 guys we liked fairly equally, I'd go 19 to 23 and that be it.  Basically a 4th rounder.  I still wouldn't be happy, but that would be minimal damage.

So when I say their first, I mean THEIR first. Not Seattle’s.

Also, you guys must be a riot at parties :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Jets get #19

That would be terrible.  Terrible.  If Darnold was a free agent, I wouldn't sign him.  Give up our first round pick?!  Hell no!

1) Quarterback evaluators and people who grade drafts: Yikes. With the trade of Wentz, NOT A SINGLE QUARTERBACK drafted in the first round from 2009 to 2016 is still with his original team. That's zero for 22, a batting average that would get someone fired if everyone weren't in the same boat. Of course, some of those looked great in the short term -- Wentz and his draftmate Jared Goff among them -- but this NFL Research statistic shows how very hard and how very much luck is involved in landing a long-term quarterback answer.

2) Philadelphia Eagles: Let's be fair. This can't be considered a total disaster for the Eagles, considering that Wentz played a big role in Philly winning its first Lombardi Trophy in the 2017 season. The Eagles spent five draft picks to be able to take Wentz in 2016, which would be fine if everything that has happened since that Super Bowl had worked out. But it's been a long downward spiral. The Eagles gave Wentz a $128 million contract extension less than two years ago. They are now taking a cap hit of nearly $34 million to move on. They did not get a first-round pick this year and only a second-rounder that can become a first-rounder depending on Wentz's playing time -- although, honestly, that's not terrible, considering Wentz was a backup at the end of 2020. Worst of all, because the market was so small, Philadelphia had to send Wentz to the one place where he is most likely to have success, which means the Eagles could watch their former franchise quarterback flourish while they go through a rebuild. Many think pieces will be written about the decision to draft Hurts, which seemed to be the start of a poisoned relationship between the Eagles and Wentz that even the firing of Doug Pederson could not cure. It has to be weird to work at the Eagles right now -- and know that both the quarterback and the coach who were supposed to be the franchise cornerstones for at least a decade are both gone. No way around it: This is a rebuild. Look for a slew of big-name cuts to come.

3) The market for Sam Darnold: If you're the Jets, the compensation for Wentz probably doesn't bode well for the return if New York decides to trade Darnold. As bad as Wentz was last season, over the course of his career, he has been better than Darnold, and the Eagles still did not get an outright first-round pick for him. If Darnold becomes available, there will probably be more suitors for him, but the Wentz deal shows a trade for Darnold won't reap a windfall for the Jets.

Urban Meyer once literally said that Dwayne Haskins was the best QB he'd ever seen.

He certainly does not think the same way as other coaches.

So I would not be surprised at all, if he takes a QB other than Lawrence at #1, especially with the rumors flying around (whether true or not) that multiple teams don't have him as the #1 QB in the draft

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Urban Meyer once literally said that Dwayne Haskins was the best QB he'd ever seen.

He certainly does not think the same way as other coaches.

So I would not be surprised at all, if he takes a QB other than Lawrence at #1, especially with the rumors flying around (whether true or not) that multiple teams don't have him as the #1 QB in the draft

Since he's an Ohio St. guy he might be inclined to take Fields.  Wouldn't that be something! 

Trev L is going #1. Forget the marker, you can get a chisel and put it in stone.

Your going to get some debate at the top of the draft, its the nature of the beast.

You got people saying you should take RG3 over Luck.

There were people saying you should take Tua over Burrow.

There were even people that liked K'Lavon Chaisson at edge over C Young

you will always find someone willing to take the other guy.

These talks happen, as they should as you are looking at cornerstone franchise pieces, but don't expect people to change their mind just b/c these talks are occurring. Outside of botched surgery, Trev is more of a lock than Burrow was last year.

46 minutes ago, dyst said:

That was a BS take from Meyer from day one. 🤦‍♂️ 

It was not a take.

His exact words were, Dwayne Haskins  was "the best QB at his age I've ever seen"

The qualifier of course, and the only qualifier was "at his age". But even with that qualifier, it's still an outlandish statement.

And this current draft discussion here actually, is about 'QB's his age'

And I remember when that Meyer quote was originally posted in the Haskins thread, before he bornbed, during TC when he was so hyped up, WFT fans were actually lapping up that quote like it was absolute fact.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository