Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Why not just wait until Mariota is cut? There's very little chance the Raiders keep him on the squad at his contract.

Agree, although if we are very keen, it may be worth a later day 3 pick to secure his rights. Other problem being his contract needs reworking, so a trade means you take that on. Need to cut his money before anything happens, in my opinion.

• Like 1

The national media IMO is getting way out of hand crazy on this Watson stuff.  You'd think Watson is the greatest player to ever set foot in the NFL or maybe any sport.  Brady plus Mahomes plus Unitas? :ols:

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Why not just wait until Mariota is cut? There's very little chance the Raiders keep him on the squad at his contract.

In theory am on board with this.  But if Rapoport is right, someone might give up a pick so you might lose out to wait but who knows?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 or 7 standout young players and/or draft picks is really really hard to stomach. At that point you're basically gutting your entire team and have said "well, we're starting completely over but at least we have a great QB to build around".

That doesn't necessarily mean it would be verboten, but it would need to be understood by the ownership that FO that they were building a new team from scratch. Then by the time you're actually able to build up a new team around Watson he'll probably be at the tail end of his initial contract and you'll have to re-up it.

And I see almost zero chance that Rivera would do it. I think we should just accept that we're not getting Watson and move forward.

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The national media IMO is getting way out of hand crazy on this Watson stuff.  You'd think Watson is the greatest player to ever set foot in the NFL or maybe any sport.  Brady plus Mahomes plus Unitas? :ols:

It's nuts. I go back to what RR said a few weeks back:

"If you get what you want, but you don't have what you need, then you create problems. If you can't protect the quarterback, or if you don't have playmakers around him, then what's the good of having that guy?"

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RWJ said:

NO to Newton!  RR could have had him last year.  I hope Mayhew and Hurney don't talk RR into him this year!

Newton would be a catastrophe. The guy was overrated even when he was considered good, in my opinion. He was an absolute beast running the ball back then, which constantly kept D's off balance and opened up a lot of things offensively for Carolina. That said, he was never a consistent, good thrower of the football. He's always had terrible mechanics, throwing flat footed and off his back foot. This leads to him having more one hoppers and high throws than anybody. And those bad mechanics are even more of a hinderance now because he can't run like he used to, so he has to depend on his arm more so these days.

The other thing about Newton is that he seems to spend more time on deciding what outfit he's going to wear to the game than he does actually working on his game and preparing for the game itself. A big "please don't even consider it" to Sham Newton.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Our 7th Rounders are actually valuable.

Starter-Valuable

Those are like Kamren Curl, Jimmy Moreland, and valuable reserve, James Smith-Williams

It's really strange.  If you have a good scouting department and a team that makes smart drafting decisions, you could really stock a team with a lot of guys still on their rookie contracts.  With the stupid salary cap the NFL insists on keeping (without adjusting it for reality), it's almost as if trading out of the 1st round for multiple lower-round picks is the way to go (again, assuming your team can find guys like Curl, Moreland, JSW, our starting C, our WR1, our RB1, our backup C, Ion, Holcomb....

34 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Our 7th Rounders are actually valuable.

Starter-Valuable

Those are like Kamren Curl, Jimmy Moreland, and valuable reserve, James Smith-Williams

So, what you're saying is send a second because our seconds have been (censored)?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

It's nuts. I go back to what RR said a few weeks back:

"If you get what you want, but you don't have what you need, then you create problems. If you can't protect the quarterback, or if you don't have playmakers around him, then what's the good of having that guy?"

Andrew Luck winces in agreement.

I really can't see Watson being thrilled to be traded to a team less dysfunctional than Houston but no more talented post-trade.

Build the team that QBs will duel each other to come to.

Also, if you want a better chance of keeping your top players when they're young, get 'em married, get them some kids, get those kids into good, local schools and the wives heavily involved in the community, and while it's no guarantee, they're a bit less likely to move on.

56 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In theory am on board with this.  But if Rapoport is right, someone might give up a pick so you might lose out to wait but who knows?

The media is really bored.  Hey! Lets give up a whole team for one player!

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've been a Watson advocate but the prices in those trade scenarios are pure insanity.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Too be fair, there is some correlation to dishing out money to QB's and winning. If Alex didn't almost lose a leg, we wouldn't look this bad on this list.  I am certain Alex would have have led us to multiple playoff appearances in a row.

Edited by heyholetsgogrant

The other possibility to those insane trade demands for Watson, is that Houston FO does not want to really trade him, but truly wants to keep him, if at all possible.

So they create trade demands so high, that they know noone will bite. And then they can go back to talk to Watson and say "Hey, we tried to trade you, as you insisted,

but couldn't find anyone to agree on compensation. So that means you're gonna stay, right ?"

A couple things as disclaimers : I am very loosely paraphrasing their quotes. And I'm just speculating here. I could easily be way off. But that image comes to mind, when

I hear they want so much compensation, beyond even what Watson is worth.

25 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Too be fair, there is some correlation to dishing out money to QB's and winning. If Alex didn't almost lose a leg, we wouldn't look this bad on this list.  I am certain Alex would have have led us to multiple playoff appearances in a row.

If your point is it was a good trade, good extension from Bruce, and the right move at the time, then lets just agree to disagree.  I've debated it enough for a lifetime and I don't feel like revisting that debate. 😀

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Someone, I think KDawg said that there was a stat, that no team had ever won a Super Bowl with a QB who occupied more than 13% of the team's total cap space.

Not sure if that was verified, and I could be remembering some of the details inaccurately.

Watson was always going to cost an arm and a leg.

You should be going in knowing it will run 2-3 1sts, at least 1 2nd, 1 rookie deal player and probably a sweetener on top. 

Just like with any trade the buyer will start lower and a seller will start higher.

Granted they started their asking price way too high, but we all heard about Philly putting an asking price of 2 1sts on Wentz. You start high if you are the seller, that is how this works.

I am not getting cold feet just cause King thinks it will be pricey. The market will determine that and we just saw it correct itself w/ Wentz. 

Furthermore Watson's no trade clause is the big factor here. He could single handedly depth charge the returns needed to bring him in, just by saying he wont go to destination X or Y, or mandates that he goes to one of 3 teams.

I want Watson as much as the next guy but if we have to gut our whole team to get him, doesn't that kind of defeat the point? We want to pair Watson with our young talent. If we have to give all that up to get him, we're just gonna be in the same situation the Texans are in now.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If your point is it was a good trade, good extension from Bruce, and the right move at the time, then lets just agree to disagree.  I've debated it enough for a lifetime and I don't feel like revisting that debate. 😀

The other side is the Viking fan looking at this compared to what they were paying Keenum ;) 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That looked pre-determined. Meaning before he snapped the ball he was going to look right then make a throw over the top if it was there. Don’t think he was legitimately going to make a throw to his right, more than likely a called deep shot by the OC.

Some one smarter please feel free to crush me lol

The in-plain-sight clue came from a comment Panthers owner David Tepper made in the All or Nothing season that focused on his football team. Tepper was determined to make what he believed to be upgrades at the three key positions that determine success or failure of a football team: coach, G.M., and quarterback.

This league is set to be an 8-8 league,” Tepper said in the Amazon series. “Everything is fair in this league. So if you have better coaches, better GM’s, some advantages with facilities, advantages with the training, management process, whatever those, whatever it is, you know, analytics, whatever that is to give you an edge, that’s what you need. And you need a good quarterback.”

The Panthers have over the past 13 months hired a new coach and a new G.M. They are now looking to get the “good quarterback” Tepper covets.

The fact that the Panthers tried to get Matthew Stafford proves that they’re determined to get a franchise-level guy. The Panthers have now reportedly pivoted to Deshaun Watson. And if the Panthers can’t get Watson, they’ll surely pivot somewhere else.

Whether it’s to Seattle and Russell Wilson or to Green Bay and Aaron Rodgers or to Minnesota and Kirk Cousins or to the Raiders and Derek Carr, the Panthers seem to be on the front end of a scorched-earth effort to get a franchise quarterback.

And if all else fails, they can try to make the Jaguars an offer they can’t refuse for Trevor Lawrence.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/20/whether-its-deshaun-watson-or-someone-else-david-tepper-is-determined-to-get-a-great-quarterback/