Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Riverboat my foot

Redskinsjab22

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I think it’s 100% a clear shot at the #1 pick. They aren’t good enough to split with the dolphins, and they aren’t good enough to beat a 4-2 browns team, who, outside of their division, have been good. 

With that being said, i HOPE the jets do somehow pull out a win against both teams. But, i think it’s highly unlikely 

Totally agree. I don't see them winning any game along the way either but hoping they win a couple somehow.

5 hours ago, redskins59 said:

Let's think about this from a statistical perspective.

I don't know the answer to this question, but what is the probability of success of going for two?  If the answer is less than 0.5, then that was just a stupid decision.  If that number is greater than 0.5, I would agree.

Gotta use the Steiner math...

Is it lost on everyone that maybe Ron figured the best shot his struggling team had to win was by getting two yards at the end of regulation instead of playing for OT? 

I mean, we're averaging 15 points per game, can't sustain drives, and are significantly lacking in top tier offensive talent. It's either gamble on a bad offense having a good drive in OT, or betting they can get two yards at the end of the game.

He chose to go for the W, with the downside being a loss that puts the team in a better draft spot in a year he clearly understands is for rebuilding. 

1 minute ago, ExoDus84 said:

Is it lost on everyone that maybe Ron figured the best shot his struggling team had to win was by getting two yards at the end of regulation instead of playing for OT? 

I mean, we're averaging 15 points per game, can't sustain drives, and are significantly lacking in top tier offensive talent. It's either gamble on a bad offense having a good drive in OT, or betting they can get two yards at the end of the game.

He chose to go for the W, with the downside being a loss that puts the team in a better draft spot in a year he clearly understands is for rebuilding. 

This is spot on.

Finally someone who gets it.

I think a lot of people tend to view decisions through a traditional lens and in their mind go back to the days when the two point conversion wasnt an option. Not the case anymore.

If one wants to look for a theme of consistency between Ron not using timeouts in weeks 2-3 and the decision yesterday, it's that he doesn't want to prolong games. Why this is, is anyone's guess.

Thank goodness I was exhausted and fell asleep.

I love the call going for 2. I'm also a historically poor decision maker and giving our defense a chance to score is an obviously better decision.

But at least I'm not an adult that watches wrestling. Don't they make steroids for the brain and speech?  

9 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

I will say, there were sustaining drives all day long.  They had drives of 12 plays, 11, 13, 14, 7, and 10.

Two weeks ago, I think Ron kicks the field goal and looks to win in OT.  Now, my take is that he's looking to keep the draft position in mind while he's attempting to rebuild.  No doubt about it, we have  a ton of holes and it would be foolish at this point to not try and bring the best players you can through the upcoming draft, which should be stacked at O-line.  Even if we don't get in position to draft one of the top two QBs (Lawrence or Fields), we'll be able to get a stud LT and get a few more interior players, as well.

3 hours ago, hail2skins said:

I think a lot of people tend to view decisions through a traditional lens and in their mind go back to the days when the two point conversion wasnt an option. Not the case anymore.

If one wants to look for a theme of consistency between Ron not using timeouts in weeks 2-3 and the decision yesterday, it's that he doesn't want to prolong games. Why this is, is anyone's guess.

I'd agree with this,...it's very possible.  As for why -- Just a theory -- the "questionable/odd" decision making and his explanations for them is a cleverly shrouded way of tanking.  Think about it.  

Ron's presser today added more weirdness to his EXPLANATION for the decision to go for two. He reiterated that he did it because he was "on the road." He was then reminded of the fact that there were no fans in the stands, to which he said, "I didn't even think about that." The reporter (Russell) then followed up with, "So, just to clarify, if you'd been at home at FedEx Field, you would've kicked the xtra point?" to which Ron responded, "Yes!"

WTF? 

Again, I don't mind that he went for two, but ... these explanations are just BIZARRE. 

14 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Again, I don't mind that he went for two, but ... these explanations are just BIZARRE. 

I'm seeing the same trend.

Our games are over earlier than other team's games.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Rivera is planning the entire 2020 season as a long rehearsal for upcoming years.

That may be the reason he wants the games to be over quick and limit the number of injuries.

Or maybe he just knows that we suck on a systematic level and plans to start from zero in 2021.

The way I view Ron Riviera this year is substantially from the Macro sense.  The big picture says it's tough enough for any coach coming into this organization, tasked turning around decades of accumulated dysfunction. Add the other BS and top it off with a regimen of radiation and chemo.  The last thing I'm going to do is point fingers at a 50/50 decision.  

There's so many roster deficiencies that 2 years isn't going to fix it.  This is reality. 

That reality has me watching NFL Replay condensed WFT games unless I have nothing better to do.  The scenario certainly isn't going to create any NEW WFT fans.  Sum is that it's going to be bad to worse before any substantial and sustainable change.  I view results as better than .500

I didn't like the play because it ended up being deflating after a great drive to end the game.  It should have resulted in a tie and OT.  At the moment, felt like they should have went to OT since i felt like they had the momentum.  But, I'm just a fan and don't get paid for my decisions on this so if the coaching staff and players were on board with it so be it.  It really killed me though.  I was so excited for what I thought was going to OT after a great last drive only to have things fizzle on the 2-point conversion that yet again didn't even give us a chance.  Personally, I'd rather bank on a drive in OT rather than one play.   I don't have a lot of faith in the D though and to me, it kind of seems live Rivera didn't either.  If you have confidence in your D, you kick the extra point, imo.  Have no idea what the statistics are but that is just how I feel.  Oh well...

Edit: Additional thought...I felt like it would have shown more faith in the team to kick the extra point and go to OT.  If they lose the toss, you're banking on your D to stop them.  If you win the toss, you're banking on your offense to win it.  While I didn't have a lot of confidence our D would be able to stop them or that our offense would be able to win it, I still feel like kicking the point was the better bet.  I have some other thoughts on this but don't think it is appropriate to even speculate on it.

After being a fan of a losing organization for 20 years, I am not adequately equipped to give coaching advise. Ron tried to win. It didn't work. That's life.

He took ownership and stood behind his decision. That's a man. Whether you agree or disagree with the decision, you can in no way predict the outcome.

What you have is a loss. How it happened is immaterial. Football is life that way, huh?

56 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

I just think Ron should speak less at these pressers. The more you say the more can be used against you. Never talk to the cops and get a lawyer.

“Im just here so I don’t get fined“ is my favorite of all time.

Point taken. But the other side of that observation is being too quiet allows these sharky ass reporters to fill in the blanks with political, drama and conspiracies. This is a tough market. Always has been. Ron has said he's got big shoulders. I think we the fans and the media are going to have to get used to this coach-centered approach. JP, WP, Russell and rest of the gang are just going to have to change they way they do business. These coaches are not on trail. The line of questioning from these reporters over the years really do come off like they're building a case. Of course with this organization being as dysfunctional as it was over the past 20 years, it stands to reason that the reporters would be dysfunctional as well. They are being checked by Ron in just about every interview now. They have to learn.

17 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Thank goodness I was exhausted and fell asleep.

I love the call going for 2. I'm also a historically poor decision maker and giving our defense a chance to score is an obviously better decision.

But at least I'm not an adult that watches wrestling. Don't they make steroids for the brain and speech?  

That was a deep cut, KB 😔

26 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

Point taken. But the other side of that observation is being too quiet allows these sharky ass reporters to fill in the blanks. This is a tough market. Always has been. Ron has said he's got big shoulders. I think we the fans and the media are going to have to get used to this coach-centered approach. JP, WP and rest of the gang are just going to have to change they way they do business. I, for one, would welcome that.

I don’t think it’s that tough really. It’s not like Philly, New York or Boston. It’s just that the team has been so bad for so long and Snyder has been at war with the local media for almost the entirety that they don’t give an inch. 

How on earth is home/road a factor in a mostly empty stadium and the first possession of overtime determined via coin toss? That makes little sense.

Replying to @TheHogSty
That's why I asked and doubled down. Didn't make much sense to me.

Yeah, I think fan criticisms of Rivera are rooted in more than just some undying love for Haskins.

22 hours ago, Califan007 said:

How on earth is home/road a factor in a mostly empty stadium and the first possession of overtime determined via coin toss? That makes little sense.

Replying to @TheHogSty
That's why I asked and doubled down. Didn't make much sense to me.

Yeah, I think fan criticisms of Rivera are rooted in more than just some undying love for Haskins.

I remember Chris Russel asking that question in the presser. It came off like he was building a case. And sure enough The Rooster goes in on Rivera's answer as if The Rooster has experience coaching in the NFL. Russell was actually trying to see if Rivera was going to change his answer. Personally, I've gotten into it with Russell a few times because of how he likes to dig for ****. I am convinced this is how its taught in journalism school or maybe its how they teach it on the job training. But I feel Rivera's pain in every interview where he's shaking his head when JP or Russell attempt their leading questions that clearly point to a constant desire for drama. They chalk it up to doing their job. I chalk it up to bull****. I think Ron see's them from a mile away though, so there is that. At some point, this team will start winning. I'd be interest to hear how many times JP or Russell use the phrase, great game but...

Archived