Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Riverboat my foot

Redskinsjab22

On 10/19/2020 at 1:17 PM, Dissident2 said:

Ron's presser today added more weirdness to his EXPLANATION for the decision to go for two. He reiterated that he did it because he was "on the road." He was then reminded of the fact that there were no fans in the stands, to which he said, "I didn't even think about that." The reporter (Russell) then followed up with, "So, just to clarify, if you'd been at home at FedEx Field, you would've kicked the xtra point?" to which Ron responded, "Yes!"

WTF? 

Again, I don't mind that he went for two, but ... these explanations are just BIZARRE. 

I would love to be a football coach, if nothing more than to just **** with the press.

Dizzy Dean, Hall of Fame baseball pitcher, once gave three separate interviews to three separate media members with three different stories.  And then later said that it'd be boring if they all got the same story.  I'd do this until they'd stop bothering me. 

1 hour ago, joeken24 said:

I remember Chris Russel asking that question in the presser. It came off like he was building a case. And sure enough The Rooster goes in on Rivera's answer as if The Rooster has experience coaching in the NFL. Russell was actually trying to see if Rivera was going to change his answer. Personally, I've gotten into it with Russell a few times because of how he likes to dig for ****. I am convinced this is how its taught in journalism school or maybe its how they teach it on the job training. But I feel Rivera's pain in every interview where he's shaking his head when JP or Russell attempt their leading questions that clearly point to a constant desire for drama. They chalk it up to doing their job. I chalk it up to bull****. I think Ron see's them from a mile away though, so there is that. At some point, this team will start winning. I'd be interest to hear how many times JP or Russell use the phrase, great game but...

Nothing about Rivera's answer can be chalked up to "the media just wants drama". I've gotten into it with Russell a ****-ton of times as well, but he was not trying to stir anything up here. Riveras answer would have been like him saying they chose to kick off after winning the coin toss because they didn't want the sun in their eyes to start the game but the game is being played in an indoor stadium. You'd be derelict in your duties as a journalist NOT to question that answer when given the chance.

Losing every week just magnifies all this stuff. There is nothing else to focus on, so things Ron does get all the attention, even if every action does not warrant it.

First it was not using timeouts. Big whoop, but it blows up into a whole thing.

Then he actually uses the timeouts, basically caving to the pressure. Not a tremendous deal, but whatever.

Then he benches his QB. Obviously that is a wavemaker.

Then he chooses to not put Allen back in after being cleared. (I think he doubted Allen’s ability to protect himself so he was doing it for him) We all saw the hits Allen was exposing himself too That was not the worst call in the world. Couple more of those and he would be among the ranks of my Zombie army.

Then he chooses to go for 2. Defiantly the far “riskier” call in the situation, but not unheard of.  The choice to go for the 4th down at the end of the half was 10x the bad call that this was, even if it worked.

Long story short winning games makes this all go away. We have some weak teams coming up, hopefully we can put up a better performance than what we did against NY.

Just give us something else to talk about.

1 hour ago, Xplosive said:

Records are determined by results... And we are 1-5.

Long term, you will always have a higher chance to prevail by understanding that process > outcome.

Now reasonable minds can disagree about whether going for two was good process, that isn’t the point of my post. The point is that IF the decision to go for two in that situation was good process, it doesn’t matter what the outcome was, that specific time. 

On 10/21/2020 at 9:36 AM, joeken24 said:

I remember Chris Russel asking that question in the presser. It came off like he was building a case. And sure enough The Rooster goes in on Rivera's answer as if The Rooster has experience coaching in the NFL. Russell was actually trying to see if Rivera was going to change his answer. Personally, I've gotten into it with Russell a few times because of how he likes to dig for ****. I am convinced this is how its taught in journalism school or maybe its how they teach it on the job training. But I feel Rivera's pain in every interview where he's shaking his head when JP or Russell attempt their leading questions that clearly point to a constant desire for drama. They chalk it up to doing their job. I chalk it up to bull****. I think Ron see's them from a mile away though, so there is that. At some point, this team will start winning. I'd be interest to hear how many times JP or Russell use the phrase, great game but...

This is why folks think the Washington media is soft.  Rivera's probably used to the even more gentle Charlotte media.  Any kind of probing questions is considered digging for drama. Rivera's flailing around in these pressers with the bare minimum resistance.

In a tough sports media market, it's just Thursday. 

On 10/21/2020 at 8:36 AM, joeken24 said:

Disagree man.  Ron cares, if he didn't, he would've never began dancing for the media anyways.  The fact that he has been justifying his instinctual decision making with nonsensical answers, when he didn't have to, means he's somehow invested.   

His story doesn't make logical sense.  Just be honest, Ron, say you did it 'cause you felt like it.  I'd respect that more than trying to attach some opaque grand wizardry scheme behind it.  One that defies what most coaches would've done.  And any sort of analytics. 

Washington fan confidence in team direction is slowly eroding

Fans were asked how confident they are in the direction of the team

The “floor” for fan confidence prior to this week had been 55%. Three times in 2020 survey results had landed on that number, including last week, but they had not fallen lower.

Until this week.

The Week 7 survey results show that fan confidence has slipped to its lowest level this year, falling below 55% for the first time. This week’s confidence level is 44%, which is still surprisingly strong for a team that sits at 1-5, last in its division, and which benched its franchise quarterback in favor of a 3rd year undrafted player with a career record of 5-10 in his past 15 starts.

Ben Standig published an article in The Athletic on Tuesday that enumerated many of the things that fans are concerned about. He started with the lack of healthy receiving talent beyond Terry McLaurin, and discussed the team’s lack of run production in the context of the decision to cut Adrian Peterson prior to the start of the season and Scott Turner’s reliance on the same offensive scheme run in Carolina despite obvious differences in personnel.

He then reviewed concerns that revolve around Ron Rivera as head coach:

Rivera’s actions and words warrant further examination if not scrutiny. After six games worth of hoarding timeouts, fourth-down gusto, NFC East division title talk and confusing lineup change explanation/justification, there’s plenty of meat on this bone.

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

So yet again, last night, we see a team come back from 2 scores with 5 minutes left to win.  Amazing what you can do when you play the full 60 minutes, Ron.

I think I got more pissed watching the end of that game than I have for the Skins in a long time. I don't want Philly running away with the division at 7-8-1 😃

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I really think he should take a step back for a little bit and let Del Rio take over...concentrate on getting better.

I mentioned this and people made me out to be a monster. 

Cancer is ****ing brutal and RR can't even stand for 3 straight hours. Of course it's kicking his ass. That's what cancer does.

11 hours ago, megared said:

Disagree man.  Ron cares, if he didn't, he would've never began dancing for the media anyways.  The fact that he has been justifying his instinctual decision making with nonsensical answers, when he didn't have to, means he's somehow invested.   

His story doesn't make logical sense.  Just be honest, Ron, say you did it 'cause you felt like it.  I'd respect that more than trying to attach some opaque grand wizardry scheme behind it.  One that defies what most coaches would've done.  And any sort of analytics. 

Cool if you disagree. But are you saying Ron cares what the media thinks? You mean, a media culture that knows nothing about winning? Moreover, nothing about the intricacy of the game? I will say, I think he cares about the fans. Unfortunately, the media is the way he communicates to the fans. So maybe he cares indirectly. But remember, this culture change is not just about the players. IMO, this entire environment (us and the media) behave much like a person that has broken bad far too many times in life. You know the type. The type that pulls from all the past bull**** and quickly jumps to negative conclusions on the smallest ****. It would seem to me that folks should breath a little. I honestly think a lot of people are quick to say here we go again. To me, Ron is dealing with a damaged, insecure fanbase (media included). We're afraid, in pain and (worse) scorned. This new relationship requires a lot of communication and explaining. At some point when the winning starts, the healing can begin. Until then, it'll be like Ron is climbing a oily mountain. Every time he comes home, it'll be like where you been? Lol

13 hours ago, justice98 said:

This is why folks think the Washington media is soft.  Rivera's probably used to the even more gentle Charlotte media.  Any kind of probing questions is considered digging for drama. Rivera's flailing around in these pressers with the bare minimum resistance.

In a tough sports media market, it's just Thursday. 

I hate the media. Plain and simple. 

Archived