Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(2020) We clinched the NFC East didn't we?

Partag

13 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We need Smith playing to close out the season.....however, if he can’t go this week then it gives Haskins that final roll of the dice.

I mean, if Haskins starts we probably just run the ball 50 times anyway and try to win 7-6 or something.

I hear you but that won't work. 

Actually I thought about what RR might be thinking and of course he's going to play to win.  However, since you've got a banged up AG and Alex is probably less than 100%, you could roll out game plan A and a backup Plan B.  Considering it's a better than 50% chance that all teams lose this week and a 50% chance Seattle is the 5 seed playing the NFC EAST winner, why show them how to beat you in week 15? 

Plan A is AG and Smith are playing.  Plan B is Alex is the backup and either AG plays but he's mostly a decoy and an emergency option as he's nowhere near 100%.  You let Haskins play understanding he just needs to go out there, get comfortable, and sling it. Two things happen there.  You live to fight another day with your most important offensive weapons being protected and SEATTLE doesn't learn and practice how to beat the same team at the same location next month.  They could win with Haskins just as NY did with Colt. 

13 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We need Smith playing to close out the season.....however, if he can’t go this week then it gives Haskins that final roll of the dice.

I mean, if Haskins starts we probably just run the ball 50 times anyway and try to win 7-6 or something.

Yeah there's little chance of running 50 times with at best 1 healthy RB.  If AG does see the field he's not pushing any piles.  He'd be a good decoy for a few snaps but I think you're going to need to spin it around the field and hit some deep shots without Alex and AG 100%. 

5 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

The difference in Alex and Dwayne is short and mid range accuracy, neither QB is good but Alex hits those short crossers and Dwayne overthrows them, also Dwayne is ridiculously inaccurate over the middle which is horrifying because the defense is sitting there waiting to pick it off.

So yeah, Alex isn't doing anything great but Dwayne is so bad that Alex's mediocre play makes it seem that way, IMO.

This right here is the biggest difference. Alex is very accurate in touch passes that are short. It remains to be seen whether Dwayne has figured that out. If he hasn’t, he will be out of DC next year. 

15 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Maybe, counterpart in doing so and this happenning is that you're also considerably lowering Haskins' trade value...

Yeah I thought of that as well, but I'd be surprised if Haskins really has much of a market. It seems like we'll be the ones making calls to see if teams are interested, not the other way around lol. 

If I understand this right.....

If we beat Seattle...and NYG loses to Cleveland.  That puts us up two games with two to play, we need to win one of the last two and the NYG needs to lose one of their last two, correct?  

Or....if we lose against Seattle and NYG loses to Cleveland...we just just need to win one of the last two games and they need to lose one of their last two games to avoid their tiebreaker, right?

Also, let me add...aside from us winning and the Giants losing this weekend, there's nothing more I'd like to see than Philly get the piss beat out of them by the Cardinals.  All this talk all week about Jalen Hurts being the answer was obnoxious as ****.  And I get it, the talking heads at ESPN need something to gab about between Sportscenter in the morning and in the evening but it was over the top.  

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

If I understand this right.....

If we beat Seattle...and NYG loses to Cleveland.  That puts us up two games with two to play, we need to win one of the last two and the NYG needs to lose one of their last two, correct?  

Don't think that's quite right. 

If we win this week, and the Giants lose, we would be two games up with two to go. All we would have to do is win one of our remaining two games and it wouldn't matter what the Giants did.

On 12/16/2020 at 11:11 PM, CapsSkins said:

I also feel strongly that if Dwayne is mentally prepared to play (or as mentally prepared as he can get himself), it will make a big difference.

He's a better player than he displayed in the 4th quarter against the 9ers. He was just rattled and panicky.

Haskins will be playing against a weaker defense which should help.  But wow is he skittish when he faces pressure.  He looks like a turnover looking for a reason to happen every time there's pressure.  He looks completely lost and appears to have no feel for where it's coming from. 

It gives off such a bad vibe to the rest of the team.  The WFT's defense may be predatory, but Haskins gives the offense a prey vibe that doesn't sit well.  Smith may play at a below-average level but you never sense panic from him no matter the circumstances.  Haskins...not so much.  

Bit of a let down with Alex out.  Have to hope all the NFCE teams lose because I don't see Haskins doing much positive in this game.  Will happily eat crow if he proves me wrong.  Hopefully Alex will be ready for the Panthers and Eagles - can still have hope for those games.

6 minutes ago, method man said:

I'm not as worried about the Giants as I am the Eagles. They must lose to Arizona this weekend. 

I think we are all of the mindset that the Eagles will beat us in week 17 in Phillly, but then I think about Jaylen Hurts vs our defense and I start to see lots of sacks and turnovers. We all are slow to realize that this team is not your same old Jay Gruden Redskins....we have Chase Young, Kurl, Montez and he rest of the gang with JDR calling the shots. We will win that game and the division. 

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I don't see Hurts sustaining offense against us, or even the Cards this week to be honest. The main reason they won last week because of Taysom Hill sucking. Eagles D will have no answer for Murray and Hop and co.

PHI lost two more to IR last week.  Their D and OL are decimated going into a game that ARZ must win.  ARZ would have to choke to lose that game. 

Browns are in a must win game every week now in a tight Wild Card race playing Colt McCoy Giants.  Dallas vs 49'ers is meh plus WFT has the tie breaker there so that's not interesting. 

SEA has issues and they're beatable. Possible WFT pulls it out, even with High School Haskins. 

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I don't see Hurts sustaining offense against us, or even the Cards this week to be honest. The main reason they won last week because of Taysom Hill sucking. Eagles D will have no answer for Murray and Hop and co.

Thought you were talking about our Hop... for a moment.. LOL

2406fb42-xxetidwyzaafjsr.20140627180842.

22 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I see everyone in the division losing this week, but we win the division with a win next week plus a Giant loss in Baltimore.

Not to be the  bearer of bad news, but if Smith doesn't come back, the Team could finish the season out of the playoffs at 6-10.  If they finish 6-10 they will pick no worse than #14 with a chance to get one of the top four QBs probably by trading up.

To be clear, I don't want that to happen.  I hope the Team wins the division.  But if Haskins starts the last three games, chances are good the Team loses all three.  The injuries combined with Haskins as the starter shouldn't lead to a crisis of confidence causing them to backslide in 2021, because Haskins is really bad and the players know it.   

The consolation prize could be the Team getting their future starting QB.  Then starting in 2021, they put the NFL on notice with their first of many playoff appearances.  

On 12/18/2020 at 8:09 AM, Spearfeather said:

Don't think that's quite right. 

If we win this week, and the Giants lose, we would be two games up with two to go. All we would have to do is win one of our remaining two games and it wouldn't matter what the Giants did.

Yup. Our magic number is 3:  any combination of a total of WFT wins or NYG losses to get us to 3 more, gets us there.  Which leads me to believe we'll clinch next week regardless of if we beat Seattle today because I don't see NYG winning this week OR next.  🤞

On 12/14/2020 at 5:34 PM, Number 44 said:

Watch in part 4 at about 4:35 in, Sims goes out of bounds bringing up 4th down at 8:56 left in the game.  When the ball is spotted, the play clock starts , but NOT the game clock.  By rule, both should start at the same time.  The game clock doesn't start until there are 19 seconds left on the play clock.  The 49ers were unfairly gifted an extra 21 seconds by the clock official.  Accident?  You really think so?  I could maybe believe that if these "accidents" occurred randomly to the benefit sometimes of every team in the league, but they clearly and simply don't.  These type of shenanigans happen in favor of certain teams and against certain other teams in the NFL all the time.  If the "NFL darling" team is behind, the clock is slowed down.  If the "darling" team is ahead, it is speeded up.  If there is a penalty, the clock starts on the snap if the "darling" team is behind, and starts at the ready signal if the "darling" team is ahead.  Almost every time.  Watch for it.  There was a Dallas game last year or the year before where the Cowboys were called for a delay of game after letting the 40 second play clock run out.  They were penalized the 5 yards and the damn ref started the game clock again, with another 25 seconds on the play clock, allowing Dallas to run off another 23 seconds before finally snapping the ball.  63 seconds!  The 5 yards at that stage of the game meant nothing, but the 23 stolen seconds were huge!  Very few people ever notice these shenanigans, but once you start looking for them, they are easy to spot -- and they happen a lot more than you would have believed.

Here's an explanation of the rule on the out of bounds play:

Out Of Bounds

Anytime a player in possession of the ball goes out of bounds the clock stops. According to the NFL Rule Book, the clock is re-started once the officials spot the ball at the appropriate yard line on the field except during the last two minutes of the first half or the last five minutes of the fourth quarter. During these times the clock doesn't start again until the next snap. The offense must run the play before the play clock runs to zero, however.  If a player in possession of the ball has his forward progress stopped in bounds and is then pushed out of bounds, the officials may mark the player down in bounds at the point of forward progress and signal for the clock to continue running.

That last sentence also results in different treatment of plays, as well.  I've seen some very questionable rulings of whether or not forward progress was stopped before the man was pushed out of bounds.  I love football, but the "WWE" style of officiating we have seen for the last decade or so is really aggravating.  Sorry for the rant.  Carry on.

I always notice clock shenanigans late in games, and I wonder why nobody audits this stuff and looks at the small discrepancies in how the clock is managed by officials. It is obviously not consistent. 

1 hour ago, cakmoney61 said:

Not to be the  bearer of bad news, but if Smith doesn't come back, the Team could finish the season out of the playoffs at 6-10.  If they finish 6-10 they will pick no worse than #14 with a chance to get one of the top four QBs probably by trading up.

To be clear, I don't want that to happen.  I hope the Team wins the division.  But if Haskins starts the last three games, chances are good the Team loses all three.  The injuries combined with Haskins as the starter shouldn't lead to a crisis of confidence causing them to backslide in 2021, because Haskins is really bad and the players know it.   

The consolation prize could be the Team getting their future starting QB.  Then starting in 2021, they put the NFL on notice with their first of many playoff appearances.  

Yeah that's very much a possibility, but hell 6-10 could still win the division LMAO.

Honestly though 7-9 ices it. Just gotta win 1 out of 3.

Archived