Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(2020) We clinched the NFC East didn't we?

Partag

12 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

As of right now, we’d be hosting none other than Seattle, in the wildcard round. If we face them again, im convinced that the NFL gods are going to continue making us face them until we can prove we can beat them in the playoffs. 

We just might have a preview sunday...omg..could you imagine the packed house if it wasnt for covid.

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think if we beat the Seahawks its more likely we play the Bucs but I don't know the tiebreaker scenarios.

Yeah that’s what it looks like over on the ESPN playoff machine. 

i wouldn’t be too mad at facing an aging Tom Brady in round 1. I think we could handle him. 

10 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

i wouldn’t be too mad at facing an aging Tom Brady in round 1. I think we could handle him. 

Our o would have to play a damn good game..at very least manageable 

15 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Boyhowdy.   It would be like the playoff game Gibbs won in Tampa with Sean Taylor wildin out and getting ejected.

Who are these guys?

I have been critical. I have been sceptical. But it seems to work... Our no name skill players do work 😂. We even had a deep shot to number 19. The first time in my life I didn't even know who the guy was in burgundy & gold. 

But the true hero is the D. The dline didn't show up at the start of the season but now we are riding hot. Even our totally unexpected safety duo is doing damage. I did not expect this. 

Ron, you earned my trust! 

----

And yes. We need a Seagulls wildcard round. I just have to many bad memories about does. Let's start the WFT era with getting rid of old habits. 

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Watch in part 4 at about 4:35 in, Sims goes out of bounds bringing up 4th down at 8:56 left in the game.  When the ball is spotted, the play clock starts , but NOT the game clock.  By rule, both should start at the same time.  The game clock doesn't start until there are 19 seconds left on the play clock.  The 49ers were unfairly gifted an extra 21 seconds by the clock official.  Accident?  You really think so?  I could maybe believe that if these "accidents" occurred randomly to the benefit sometimes of every team in the league, but they clearly and simply don't.  These type of shenanigans happen in favor of certain teams and against certain other teams in the NFL all the time.  If the "NFL darling" team is behind, the clock is slowed down.  If the "darling" team is ahead, it is speeded up.  If there is a penalty, the clock starts on the snap if the "darling" team is behind, and starts at the ready signal if the "darling" team is ahead.  Almost every time.  Watch for it.  There was a Dallas game last year or the year before where the Cowboys were called for a delay of game after letting the 40 second play clock run out.  They were penalized the 5 yards and the damn ref started the game clock again, with another 25 seconds on the play clock, allowing Dallas to run off another 23 seconds before finally snapping the ball.  63 seconds!  The 5 yards at that stage of the game meant nothing, but the 23 stolen seconds were huge!  Very few people ever notice these shenanigans, but once you start looking for them, they are easy to spot -- and they happen a lot more than you would have believed.

Here's an explanation of the rule on the out of bounds play:

Out Of Bounds

Anytime a player in possession of the ball goes out of bounds the clock stops. According to the NFL Rule Book, the clock is re-started once the officials spot the ball at the appropriate yard line on the field except during the last two minutes of the first half or the last five minutes of the fourth quarter. During these times the clock doesn't start again until the next snap. The offense must run the play before the play clock runs to zero, however.  If a player in possession of the ball has his forward progress stopped in bounds and is then pushed out of bounds, the officials may mark the player down in bounds at the point of forward progress and signal for the clock to continue running.

That last sentence also results in different treatment of plays, as well.  I've seen some very questionable rulings of whether or not forward progress was stopped before the man was pushed out of bounds.  I love football, but the "WWE" style of officiating we have seen for the last decade or so is really aggravating.  Sorry for the rant.  Carry on.

7 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

We have yet to beat a team that has scored 20 or more points.  Considering that the Bucs have done that in all but 2 games, I don't like our chances against them or any other playoff bound team.  

Pittsburgh has scored more than 20 in all but 3 games, once was us.

San Fran has missed the 20 point thing 4 times, once was us.

The Cowboys have only scored less than 30 7 times, two of those were from us.

8 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

We have yet to beat a team that has scored 20 or more points.  Considering that the Bucs have done that in all but 2 games, I don't like our chances against them or any other playoff bound team.  

You'll come around....this defense doesn't give up 20 points very often...and they're getting better. We beat Seattle this week with Dwayne starting at QB and the entire league is gonna take notice. NYG destroyed Seattle's offensive line, they can't be too excited to fly 6 hours and see our defense waiting for them....assuming they left NY to go back home last night?

I'm cautiously optimistic.

I love our defense as much as anyone else, to see what they've done over the past few games.  And I don't WANT to be the wet blanket but I feel like I've gotta speak to what I've seen.  

I've seen tremendous playmaking.  I've seen a hyperathletic defensive front that's dialed in and putting a lot of pressure on quarterbacks.  I see guys that know what to do and when to do it.

But I've also seen a Pittsburgh team and a 49ers team that helped our cause with some key drops...and in Pittsburgh's case, a lot of drops.  

Now, it's the NFL, those are the breaks.  Lord knows we have one Steven Sims who can drop passes with the best of them.  

And I've also seen spurts in the last two games where the opposing offense has been able to move the ball on us, almost at will.  I'll give Big Ben credit, he's a great quarterback and a future Hall of Famer.  I expect that guy to be able to move the ball against most teams.  Might not always be pretty, but he gets the job done.

I think we all got a little nervous in the game thread when Mullens was able to scramble a bit and make some throws last night, too.  Now our defense stepped up, forced some turnovers and Mullens helped us out with the pick six, which was a terrible decision.  Still, there were times where Mullens was able to make some throws and move the ball.

Russell Wilson has struggled a bit lately, but he poses the biggest threat to our defense, by far.  And I think DK Metcalf is probably the best receiver we'll have seen over the past three games, too.  They're a dynamite connection.  And if Mullens was able to move the ball at times (not the whole game, I'm aware) I expect Russell Wilson to be able to as well.  In short, we haven't faced a combo like Wilson/Metcalf yet.  It's a big test.

That said, our defense will certainly give us a chance to win, but I don't think it'll be like last night.   I'm not ready to anoint this defense just yet, like I said I'm cautiously optimistic...the moments where Pittsburgh and SF moved the ball on us gives me some pause.  I think our defense will be good against Seattle, but not great.  No one's talking about the 40 spot they just put up on the Jets.  Yeah, yeah, I know, it's the Jets, but 40 points is pretty great no matter who you're playing.  

6 hours ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

The giants have been incredibly lucky this year, beating Seattle with a backup QB and getting opponents to poop the bed. I don’t see us that lucky, especially if we have to start our backup QB.

There is no way in hell we can beat Seattle with Haskins, Smith better be ready to go.

If I am coach Rivera the Seattle game is the one I am not taking chances on with less than 100% players.  I'd rather have Alex & Gibson sit out Week 15, even if it raises the chances of a loss significantly, if it would also mean both of them are 100% and ready to finish out the season against Carolina & Philly.  I don't think the Giants are going to be able to deal with the Browns next week, so that next week a loss shouldn't have us losing any ground. 

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

If I am coach Rivera the Seattle game is the one I am not taking chances on with less than 100% players.  I'd rather have Alex & Gibson sit out Week 15, even if it raises the chances of a loss significantly, if it would also mean both of them are 100% and ready to finish out the season against Carolina & Philly.  I don't think the Giants are going to be able to deal with the Browns next week, so that next week a loss shouldn't have us losing any ground. 

I agree. We need a healthy Alex for the final 2. Let him rest his calf. If we have to finish the season with Dwayne; we are done for the year.

12 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

Pittsburgh has scored more than 20 in all but 3 games, once was us.

San Fran has missed the 20 point thing 4 times, once was us.

The Cowboys have only scored less than 30 7 times, two of those were from us.

We have not beaten a team that has scored 20 over more points against us.  Hey I think I discovered that "super secret magic formula" that Alex Smith has, because we never beat a team that scored 20+ points against us in 2018 with him as the starter either.  

Archived