Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Naw, I still believe in the talent. He made the NFL Top 100 as a rookie. His peers consider him a hell of a player. Remember what Mike Tomlin said about him? He's not progressing right now but I'm not gonna give up hope on a 22 year old, that would be beyond stupid.

The premise of my question wasn’t, “let’s assume Young is a horrendous bust”, though. So I wasn’t asking if folks were giving up. It was more of a… “would you trade him to get the ammo to get a franchise level QB”

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

The premise of my question wasn’t, “let’s assume Young is a horrendous bust”, though. So I wasn’t asking if folks were giving up. It was more of a… “would you trade him to get the ammo to get a franchise level QB”

We still need pieces around the QB if we want to win and Young is still a prime building block.

Sweat on the other hand sure I'd package in a deal.

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Mild curiosity: If someone offered us a first and a third for Chase Young, would you take it? Let’s say it was someone who is currently 0-3 for the sake of argument and not looking good.

I went a little back and forth on this for a minute, but I’ve landed on “no”.

Trading away the face of the franchise (for what that’s worth), trading away a young guy (with loads of potential) so soon, a guy that lifts the guys around him, and considering the message it may send to the team… it’s just not worth it, IMO.  

Yes, it gives us an extra 1st to pursue a qb, but I’m not sure any qb can lift this team with how the D is playing.

Besides qb, we’ll be needing a new tackle, 2 new safeties, 1 or 2 new linebackers and at least one good corner, not to mention a DE to replace Chase.  

On top of all of that, I maintain that Young (nor Del Rio) is not the problem.  I don’t think Chase forgot how to rush or Del Rio forgot how to coach.  Maybe Chase isn’t as good as he looked last year, but I wanna see a (vastly) improved back 7 before I really worry about the two of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Mild curiosity: If someone offered us a first and a third for Chase Young, would you take it? Let’s say it was someone who is currently 0-3 for the sake of argument and not looking good.

If it’s the offseason and you can guarantee that first can be flipped for a good/great vet or a rookie I feel can be good/great restively soon? Hell yeah. 

Otherwise no. 

Our whole philosophy for nearly half a decade is to overstock the Defensive line with 1#'s starving every other position group remorselessly.

If we offered our entire front 7 for Lamar Jackson the Ravens would laugh in our faces, if we offered them for Patrick Mahomes the Chiefs would hang up the phone and then laugh in our faces (and not because of the cap hit). What value have we actually gotten on our obsessive D.line Drafting?. It gets worse when you factor in we choose Daron Payne OVER Lamar Jackson in the draft. I was heartbroken that we took Jamin Davis (it's a long ball passing league we could make due with the need for another box guy) over a up and coming QB or 1st round dynamic receiver (to complement #17) or a future secondary stud or a 1st round LT (cosmi is a project RT)  to replace the loss of a 1st ballot Gold Jacket HOFer in Trent Williams. We have to end this obsession with collecting every 1st round box guy that pops out of the SEC/ACC and spread the 1st round love around.

Edited by WTFforLife

When you break down the production, Chase Young had a very similar season to Preston Smith's rookie season. That doesn't make him a bust, but I am not seeing #2 pick material with him, he's underachieving based on his draft status and hype. 

Obviously when you watch the games, you can see Chase plays differently than Preston, but the production is very similar and that's all that should matter in the NFL. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

Not at this stage no. Young will still have tremendous value at the end of the season, even if he has an average season imo.

That said, when we get to the end of the season we need to make a more concerted effort to upgrade at QB. We may end up picking high enough by default to get someone.

Either way, the half arsed approach of the recent past isn’t good enough, offering a first and third for Stafford for example. Pointless waste of time and effort. 

At some stage, assuming we don’t land top 3 in the draft anyway, we need to commit resource to actively upgrade to a QB1 prospect. Trading other key players with value should not be off the table to facilitate that move.

Chase Young continues to try to get the edge, the go to move for a premier pass rusher. He gets taken deep and out of the play nearly every time. By every OT he has faced this season. If that does not concern you then you are not paying attention.  

The entire defense is hot garbage, obviously. But the finger pointing starts with the "face of the franchise".  As I posted he is starting to remind me of Lavar Arrington.  He may very well be another Chris Weber. I've been down this road before. So much potential. So much hope, flashes of brilliance but in the end we may very well end up very very disappointed.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

There are way bigger problems with this defense than Chase Young. Either he's in some denial about needing to improve, or he's not being coached properly, but the physical tools are all there and he's still young. I wouldn't start picking on a 22 year old because he's supposed to be the most talented player on a defense that isn't performing.

On the other hand there are experienced players who know what they should be doing but can't do it (Bostic), experienced players who don't seem to know what they should be doing or are ignoring it (Collins), and players that simply don't seem to fit what they are being asked to do (Fuller). There is no chemistry in the secondary, they are playing like they never met each other before.

I'm going to lay a lot of blame here on the coaching. After losing to Tampa I guess the coaches felt "the system is fine, but we need better players". Well, we brought in better players (on paper), and the situation has regressed dramatically. I find it telling that in every game so far the opposition has marched down the field on their starting possessions; to me that's a sign of bad preparation, that you've been out-thought before the game has even begun.

• Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

Yes i would take a first and third. And a complete rebuild of the roster head coaching staff and front office. 

Frankly, If Washington could tighten up the play of those at middle linebacker,  strong safety, and the DB covering the slot, I think we'd see the D-line play pick up a lot .  It's hard for the D-LIne to get to the QB when he's always got a quick short-medium pass open over the middle.  After a while of giving up the 3rd down pass for another conversion, the D-line wears down, and loses their motivation, and the problem gets even worse.

I'm still looking mainly at Bostic and Collins who should be helping to center the defensive effort in this weak-spot area, but they're not getting the job done.  There are others also responxible, but those two were the veteran starting duo expected to step up to the task.  

14 hours ago, dckey said:

Would you trade Chase Young and a first for any of the Rookie QBs playing this year?  No of them look that good

The 2022 qb draft class is pretty weak in my opinion. I'd trade chase and a 2022 1st for any of the qbs this year other than Zach Wilson. Wouldn't even think twice about it.