Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

We had 4 sacks in the first half. When Jones had to survey his reads, he was pressured. They did enough in the 1st half that our DL will likely be in the top 5 in pressures and sacks after this week. 

The issues came in the second half where our coverage got worse and Giants tempo started to tire our pass rush out. That is where we need to improve- stamina for the DL and coverage in the secondary. We also seem to sometimes scheme our DL to intentionally engage blockers(likely to attempt to free up blitzers) and the optics for fans who don't know the scheme look bad.

Our fans seem so eager to talk trash about the DL and it's amusing to me. Like we are upset that unit gets respect in the media so we have to take them down a notch. We tend to do that for any player getting respect on our team(our fans would trash Trent Williams who is still the best LT in the league). If our fans watched more NFL games, they'd realize other teams have players who make plays from time to time too. We still see our DL winning their match up more often than not.

There is a reason they are still regarded as one of the best in the league. They have room to grow, we all see that, but the talk of them being overrated, busts, or how we need to trade them is typical Washington fans being fickle and overreacting. 

In short, they have some things to improve, but they are still by and far the strength of our defense and will look even better when the back 7 gets their act together. Every one of our DL will have games this year that will have fans talking about how great they are. Allen has been the first. 

Edited by IrepDC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Allen really earned his money last night.  One of his sacks was a bit of a gift from Brederson, who looks like he messed up the protection and tried to double the outside rusher as the center was handing Allen off to him.  But he was our best player on defense for sure.  I love this guy and his locked in, non-nonsense approach.

I was intrigued by the body language of the defense last night.  Yes they are struggling to come together and be consistent.  They look like they are wound pretty tight right now.  No real celebrating or joy after they make plays, just a feeling of tension getting from one play to the next.  They have really high expectations for themselves and are trying to work through their issues getting everyone assignment-sound.  But I think they are too talented and to committed not to figure this out and play up to their capability.  And I am optimistic that they'll get their mojo back soon.

I guess I'm pretty disappointed about the performance of the secondary, and their early struggles caught me off guard.  They had so much swagger in camp and seemed to be a lot further along than they really are.  Chase is going to get-right soon, as will the DL as a whole.  But I'm a little concerned that the secondary just isn't that good.  I also thought the linebackers would be better than they've been given the pedigree of their coaching, but that part might eventually catch up and play up to expectations.

Also WTF is wrong with our field?  Why were there so many footing issues last night?  I thought we fixed the surface.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

You'd think with Allen beasting out in the middle it would lead to even more opportunities for Young. Usually the middle of the D-line is where the pass rush starts even though they don't get the credit or stats to show it.  Aldon Smith looked like a superstar on the 49ers because Justin Smith was constantly collapsing the pocket. When Justin Smith got injured, Aldon was suddenly pedestrian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

Looked like Chase could have given a better effort. Just re-watched the game and he was a ghost outside of a couple plays. 

I was in the camp of letting Allen walk, but he's been the standout so far. 

And Allen’s balling out after signing a LTD.  He’s playing great and sets a heck of an example for the rest of the team.

• Like 2

The lack of a bull-rush kills Chase, it makes him predictable. Sure, he could use some more counter moves, but a good consistent bull-rush would help him the most.

Look at the path Sweat takes to get to the QB on most of his reps, and then look at Chase. He's constantly creating a more difficult path for himself to get to the QB while most of the time Sweat takes an angle straight to the QB. He plays like a speed rusher like Von Miller or Brian Burns but doesn't have the bend or agility those guys have. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

Looked like he was playing contain on his rushes in the first half.  They didn't want Jones spilling out of the pocket and getting free is my guess.  Pleasantly surprised by the amount of pressure the DL got on Jones despite the quick throws and protections getting set against Chase, and mostly just using four man rushes.  And it looked like Jones only really got rush yardage on designed runs and that they kept him in the pocket otherwise.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

Watch Daron at the 1:35 mark. Looked like another designed run, but he peels off his 2 blockers and moves down the line close the lane. He's also on a double in almost every play. He is so fun to watch. Allen is just a monster this year. I love watching our DTs. Those three are going to be killing teams by midseason if Iaon can stay healthy.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Watch Daron at the 1:35 mark. Looked like another designed run, but he peels off his 2 blockers and moves down the line close the lane. He's also on a double in almost every play. He is so fun to watch. Allen is just a monster this year. I love watching our DTs. Those three are going to be killing teams by midseason if Iaon can stay healthy.

This looks to my novice eye that as long as they could block/move Chase to the outside, they'd leave him one-on-one but the minute he went inside, they would chip or double with the guard.  Not sure but maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

This looks to my novice eye that as long as they could block/move Chase to the outside, they'd leave him one-on-one but the minute he went inside, they would chip or double with the guard.  Not sure but maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain.

Pretty much. You can also tell there is a delay in a lot of his movement when there is a back or TE on his side. He's watching for them to chip and sneak out and possibly keeping an edge because of Jones. You can see it in the 2nd, 3rd and 5th play on that video. Even on most of his pure rushes, he seems to be intentionally staying outside, which works great for our interior rushers who were having a lot of success.

• Like 2

Watching that cutup, almost all of Chase's pass rushes look exactly the same. He doesn't seem to have counters and he doesn't seem to vary how he attacks based on what the Tackle is doing or has been doing.

So as long as the Tackle can deal with Chase's initial stutter step + attempted hand swipe and get into his pads then they can mostly neutralize him or run him to the side and out of the play.

He can still win some snaps purely because of his freakish athleticism but if he wants to take the next step, he's going to have to really do some technique work and use his brain more. Otherwise he'll basically be Clowney part 2: pretty good but never living up to his potential.