Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

15 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

… but I think Sweats ceiling is higher than Charles Mann.

4x Pro-Bowl

2x All-Pro (2nd team)

3x Super Bowl Champion 

“We’ll see … “

172B4727-68FC-492E-B137-E1B1C3834DCA.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, 09 said:

4x Pro-Bowl

2x All-Pro (2nd team)

3x Super Bowl Champion 

“We’ll see … “

172B4727-68FC-492E-B137-E1B1C3834DCA.jpeg

I'm not talking about superbowl championships. There is nothing to see, his ceiling is higher, period, end of story. It doesn't mean he will reach it, he could blow his knees out and never get there. 

From a physical talent perspective Montez Sweat is much more physically talented than Mann (Mann was my favorite player as a kid and I wore his number.) His ceiling as a talent is higher, like you said though we will see if that translates into  superbowls and all pro. 

edit:I wasnt trying tonbe snarky sorry if it came off that way 

Edited by XxSpearheadxX

The conversation about which DL to let walk has sprung up again. While I understand the conversation, "You can't have X amount of the salary cap tied to the DL", I don't think that philosophy is the best.

Young's contract would possibly be "new market setting," but the others should receive top 3-5 money. We do have a culture and winning tradition building now so the expectation we have to "be that team" to overpay everyone should expire as well. 

Some would argue that paying 4 DL top 5 money isn't okay, but I'd ask why not? They can all be on the field at one time. They are the best at their positions on our team right now. As long as we continue to build through the draft, we will have young talent developing at other positions on smaller contracts. If any of those players develop, we would be paying them when our DL contracts are expiring and the salary cap was higher.

We are in a good position salary cap and roster wise. The only reason you'd have to let one of the DL walk is if they all were asking for #1 in the league contracts, which I doubt, or two if you planned on throwing out more large FA contracts to someone else's talent. I'd hope we learned our lesson there, but I do think some fans would enjoy the nostalgia of complaining about one of the players we let go succeeding elsewhere or a big FA contract not living up to the hype. Those were the days? 

I'm not buying any of these guys being anywhere near their ceilings. Recent young dominant DL for teams like Ravens, Steelers, and Patriots aged like fine wine- with players playing into their 30s anchoring those defenses. These are not RBs. They're not WRs or CBs. Guys on the DL can play longer and keep getting better as long as they take care of their bodies. I believe getting all of them to at least their 2nd contract would maximize what we already have. 

If we do let one of them walk, and spend that money on a FA old school style, they had better work out. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, IrepDC said:

The conversation about which DL to let walk has sprung up again. While I understand the conversation, "You can't have X amount of the salary cap tied to the DL", I don't think that philosophy is the best.

Young's contract would possibly be "new market setting," but the others should receive top 3-5 money. We do have a culture and winning tradition building now so the expectation we have to "be that team" to overpay everyone should expire as well. 

Some would argue that paying 4 DL top 5 money isn't okay, but I'd ask why not? They can all be on the field at one time. They are the best at their positions on our team right now. As long as we continue to build through the draft, we will have young talent developing at other positions on smaller contracts. If any of those players develop, we would be paying them when our DL contracts are expiring and the salary cap was higher.

We are in a good position salary cap and roster wise. The only reason you'd have to let one of the DL walk is if they all were asking for #1 in the league contracts, which I doubt, or two if you planned on throwing out more large FA contracts to someone else's talent. I'd hope we learned our lesson there, but I do think some fans would enjoy the nostalgia of complaining about one of the players we let go succeeding elsewhere or a big FA contract not living up to the hype. Those were the days? 

I'm not buying any of these guys being anywhere near their ceilings. Recent young dominant DL for teams like Ravens, Steelers, and Patriots aged like fine wine- with players playing into their 30s anchoring those defenses. These are not RBs. They're not WRs or CBs. Guys on the DL can play longer and keep getting better as long as they take care of their bodies. I believe getting all of them to at least their 2nd contract would maximize what we already have. 

If we do let one of them walk, and spend that money on a FA old school style, they had better work out. 

I'm with you, it can make sense, but only if you believe you are drafting well.

So paying for DL works if the OL is cheap, contributing, and has some time left on their rookie contracts.  Or replace OL with secondary or QB or whatever.  So overpaying 1 unit to keep it together balances out if another quality unit is underpaid.

Projecting OL to be fine with Cosmi and Charles on rookie contracts for 3-4 years isn't justifiable yet as they haven't really played even if they do ooze potential.  If in 2021 both those players have played and look legitimate, then yeah, we should spend some money to retain that DL strength.

So it's situational.  We want our roster to have a strength that we can rely on schematically against any team.  If the DL looks ever better in 2021, I would like to keep that strength.  The LB's and Safeties would play better knowing they can rely on a good DL doing things they're supposed to.

Iaon back, Sweat doing offseason training with Chase, Much better players behind them in McCain and WJIII. Davis and Holcomb should be much better. Playing more cover 1 man with Juste and WJIII.  Collins flying around the line.

I am so freaking excited to see this defense play. Especially if we can score quick and really let them pin their ears back.

JDR defenses usually crush in their second year and I gotta believe this is Jacks most talented one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Why do I get the impression that the entire DLine is not vaccinated? lol...

Allen seems smart/mature, I'm confident he was one of the first to get vaccinated. Payne...no idea, but strikes me as the type to not really give a crap but will get vaxed just so he can play football and not lose money. Young concerns me a bit but again I think the guy just loves football and is too much of a team guy to risk being selfish and blowing it all and will ultimately get vaxed(but probably needed to be persuaded some). Sweat is the big worry, fairly confident he isn't vaxed yet and might not ever get it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...