Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

With the way Payne was blowing up their line, we should have been crushing Allen all day and been in that game.

There's definitely a division in that locker room. Collins, Curl and Fuller I think are part of the problem too. I think Bostic is just bad and Holcomb is trying to herd the cats out there.

Bostic is definitely a coach favorite, so im guessing that's why he's getting the playing time. Not much a DC can do. Falcons would be a good time to bench some players at halftime. 

I've been watching the first 3 weeks and haven't spent much time on the board. It's very strange to me the chemistry issues we seem to have on this team. 

I also feel like if you would have said we were going to lose to the Chargers and Bills to start the season. Okay fine.

The big disappointment is obviously the defense. I still view the Chargers game as winnable and hell the Cowboys had to sneak in a FG to win it late against that same team. Albeit same deal with us and the Giants.

All that being said I do believe the defense will steadily improve and the offense will find a better rhythm as the season progresses. We will finish strong but will that be enough to win the east or sneak into the playoffs? I don't know.

Additional note: I remember stories about Ray Lewis and Ed Reed having the defense over to watch film together. I understand we have team captains but they tend to lead by example which is fine but behind the scenes are they really working together or do we have a young squad with each individual looking for their massive second contract?

Edited by SkinsFootball

59 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

With the way Payne was blowing up their line, we should have been crushing Allen all day and been in that game.

There's definitely a division in that locker room. Collins, Curl and Fuller I think are part of the problem too. I think Bostic is just bad and Holcomb is trying to herd the cats out there.

Bostic is definitely a coach favorite, so im guessing that's why he's getting the playing time. Not much a DC can do. Falcons would be a good time to bench some players at halftime. 

Why do you think Curl is part of it? 

41 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Just a guess, because he seems to be playing really poorly and he might have also let the rookie success go to his head and fallen in the wrong clique.

I could be wrong, since his PT seems to be increasing.

I don't agree with this take at all, not even a little lol

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Thumb up 1

49 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Just a guess, because he seems to be playing really poorly and he might have also let the rookie success go to his head and fallen in the wrong clique.

I could be wrong, since his PT seems to be increasing.

I think you’re way off here. Curl has played pretty well from my eye.

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I’m gonna predict either Chase or Montez will be bench for an extended period in a game very soon. Maybe even Sunday. 

I think patience is gone.

Young has been really bad.  Creating vertical and horizontal gaps in his rush is scary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I saw somewhere that they lead the league in pressures but are ranked 23rd in sacks.   That's a weird juxtaposition of stats. 

Seems we are getting pressure rom the DT's up the middle, but when the ends get so far up field it creates lanes for the QB to step up. Maybe thats where they count "pressures" are coming from?

Edited by Chris 44

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Sunday I think might have been one of Payne's best games.  It's a great sign if there is more to come.  Jonathan Allen IMO is already a proven disrupter.   I do think it will come for Chase and Sweat, too. 

I think they have too many issues in the back 7 for this defense to be anything special this year.  But count me in the minority that I do think as the season progresses the D line will get right.  And yep that includes Chase. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Imagine if Chase Young is freelancing and still has zero sacks to show for it.

The question begs though, why would individual payers think they need to change up from what they were doing last year if it was working? yeah I know softer opponents and QB's may have skewed the numbers but for the most part but it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. 

Rivera's comments about leadership make perfect sense to me. I was just saying how we don't have any (successful) vets on the defense to show all these young players how to be professionals. The result is we see them trying to figure it out on their own. Jonathan Allen is the only one ready to lead on our line, but he happens to be a lead by example guy. We need someone who can pull them aside and encourage them to trust the process. 

Right now we have young guys thrust into leadership roles while still learning to be professionals. That process isn't impossible, but I'm not sure our team and fanbase can be patient through so many growing pains without burying their confidence. When their confidence starts to decline, the pressure starts to add up, and when there's no veteran there to settle the group, you see young players start doing what we see them doing; breaking contain, missing their assignments, not trusting their teammates, chemistry decline and so on. There's no point in beating the dead horse about Kerrigan, but maybe this offseason if a vet DL is available(who has actually had some success in this league), we would be wise to bring them in just for the sake of leadership.

The same goes for the young LB group we hopefully keep building. They'll need a veteran to guide them as well. I don't like Jamin looking up to Bostic and Holcomb as examples.

Edited by IrepDC

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sunday I think might have been one of Payne's best games.  It's a great sign if there is more to come.  Jonathan Allen IMO is already a proven disrupter.   I do think it will come for Chase and Sweat, too. 

I think they have too many issues in the back 7 for this defense to be anything special this year.  But count me in the minority that I do think as the season progresses the D line will get right. 

Payne playing that way every game would be a game changer.

That would be two years where Chase would 'thrive' in the second half. Remember the talk of him not being at voluntary workouts...maybe his conditioning is the issue. 

It all comes down to Chase not playing up to his ability and position. See below: 

9 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

The question begs though, why would individual payers think they need to change up from what they were doing last year if it was working? yeah I know softer opponents and QB's may have skewed the numbers but for the most part but it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. 

Maybe they think they're too special to play contain or stay in their gaps, I have no idea honestly. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda