Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I keep trying to tell people this. 

He’ll likely be fine. He’s still the same dude everyone swooned. 

My guess is this is a bit of a sophomore slump and he gets uber pissed and works his ass off this coming off-season.  It appears he started reading his own press clippings and didn't feel the urgency to continue growing.  The fruit that it's bearing is likely extremely bitter.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We're getting pressure here and there but we haven't seen that collective pocket collapsing ability yet. Its kinda like in baseball when one or two guys are hitting but the rest aren't so you end up with guys on base but no runs scored yet everyone has decent batting average stats.

Eventually everyone is gonna break through and we're gonna have one of those 5+ sack games. Could very well be this week against a statue QB behind a bad OL.

If it's NOT this week, ho boy.  Schedule only gets harder.

Edited by 86 Snyder

1 hour ago, madden lot said:

So you telln me he's un coachable? 

Depends on how big his head is right now.....I would hope he let's coaches coach. But if he starts barking at coaches on the sideline during games, we may have trouble in generational talent kingdom land!

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Someone posted a video of Chase saying his lack of production was because of Payne, but I can't find it now. Anyone see that?

Chase doesn't get it. He runs bad lines - confirmed by former players - and blames the other guy for not adapting to him. 

This is an immature leader. We're going to see growing pains this year. 

Edited by Silvernon
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

Chase doesn't get it. He runs bad lines - confirmed by former players - and blames the other guy for not adapting to him. 

Yeah, he does seem to have some of that "I'm the star, conform to me" attitude. 

That said, I think Payne has been capable of what he's been doing and maybe because there's a contract coming, he's not playing his assignments right. I don't know enough to make that call.

• Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, he does seem to have some of that "I'm the star, conform to me" attitude. 

That said, I think Payne has been capable of what he's been doing and maybe because there's a contract coming, he's not playing his assignments right. I don't know enough to make that call.

It looks like Payne's staying in his lane/gap like the others... 

There were a couple of plays he was a  inside of where he should of been, but that was as he was a step or two away from the QB. On those plays, if Young has a better line Payne actually gifts him a couple of pressures/sacks. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

It looks like Payne's staying in his lane/gap like the others... 

There were a couple of plays he was a  inside of where he should of been, but that was as he was a step or two away from the QB. On those plays, if Young has a better line Payne actually gifts him a couple of pressures/sacks. 

Oh I agree. It looks like Payne is wrecking havoc on almost every play. Just trying to keep an uneducated mind open. Payne is probably my favorite player on the team, so I'd like to just think that's just him crushing it.

11 hours ago, tmandoug1 said:

Depends on how big his head is right now.....I would hope he let's coaches coach. But if he starts barking at coaches on the sideline during games, we may have trouble in generational talent kingdom land!

Does Chase have direct access to Dan's office like RGIII and Portis did? 

3 hours ago, Silvernon said:

I’m not hearing what you’re hearing from this press conference. Chase doesn’t place any blame on Payne. He says he isn’t able to see what Payne is doing on the field. When he talks about going inside, he says someone has to take his place- presumably, he’s talking about a stunt and miscommunication. Again, he’s not talking about a specific play or player, but miscommunication along the defense (the theme of all his responses). Are we already to the point where we look at each of his statements in the most uncharitable light? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, D’Pablo said:

I’m not hearing what you’re hearing from this press conference. Chase doesn’t place any blame on Payne. He says he isn’t able to see what Payne is doing on the field. When he talks about going inside, he says someone has to take his place- presumably, he’s talking about a stunt and miscommunication. Again, he’s not talking about a specific play or player, but miscommunication along the defense (the theme of all his responses). Are we already to the point where we look at each of his statements in the most uncharitable light? 

i was thinking the same thing, I listened to it several times and he never mentioned Payne not doing his job or blaming Payne for anything… maybe there is another clip somewhere that people are referencing?

14 minutes ago, A-Lost-Wolf said:

i was thinking the same thing, I listened to it several times and he never mentioned Payne not doing his job or blaming Payne for anything… maybe there is another clip somewhere that people are referencing?

I think it was the "people need to cover my back when I do things" comment and then saying "I don't know what Payne was doing". Comes off as "I'm the rusher and people need to support me". I'm pretty sure he knows what Payne was doing leading the team in pressures by a lot and it's Payne next to him, so I'd assume that's who he is saying needs to be behind him.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think it was the "people need to cover my back when I do things" comment and then saying "I don't know what Payne was doing". Comes off as "I'm the rusher and people need to support me". I'm pretty sure he knows what Payne was doing leading the team in pressures by a lot and it's Payne next to him, so I'd assume that's who he is saying needs to be behind him.

I think he was referring to a Stunt they ran where he went to the inside and the inside player needs to loop around to the outside… kinda makes sense if I understand how a stunt works. There really is no context for the play he is referring to but it sounds like they ended up in a cuddle puddle (technical term) in the middle somehow 🤷‍♂️.

4 minutes ago, A-Lost-Wolf said:

I think he was referring to a Stunt they ran where he went to the inside and the inside player needs to loop around to the outside… kinda makes sense if I understand how a stunt works. There really is no context for the play he is referring to but it sounds like they ended up in a cuddle puddle (technical term) in the middle somehow 🤷‍♂️.

I agree, but can't imagine what play they're talking about. I know the one play that Spears ripped, he said there should have been a LBer or safety to fill the gap left by his rush.

19 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

If our defense gets shredded this week, JDR has to go.  Rivera has to take over.  No good.

I don’t know that I want to see this happen because it means things went terribly wrong.  But I might like to see Rivera take over the defense.  I don’t know at this point.

4 hours ago, A-Lost-Wolf said:

He was talking about the touchdown 

8 hours ago, A-Lost-Wolf said:

1:38-2:25 in that clip to me was the rough part.

"I took an inside move and I beat the tackle...someone has to come cover it." So, he did a move that brought him out of position and expects his DT to adapt and cover for him. 

"We got to communicate more. Where my tackle getting. Being more specific while communicating." 

Spoiler: Your tackle was getting to the QB.