Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

38 minutes ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Anyone gonna mention Ryan Anderson? I know dude is the ultimate "oh that guy" on this team.. We never hear from him..

we're not playing him much

Looking at our roster, we have Nate Orchard and Jordan Brailford on PS in addition to James Smith-Wilson on the roster at DE but all are just that DE.  I think I'd sign Ty McGill for the Eagles PS for our fourth DT.  He played well against us

Sucks for Ioannidis but the team knows he can play and will be in their long-term plans.  Now it's time to evaluate Settle, Anderson and whomever they bring up from the practice squad.  It will be interesting.  Best case, the team upgrades the backups and can trade some DL talent in the offseason for help in other areas of the team.  

16 hours ago, carex said:

we're not playing him much

Looking at our roster, we have Nate Orchard and Jordan Brailford on PS in addition to James Smith-Wilson on the roster at DE but all are just that DE.  I think I'd sign Ty McGill for the Eagles PS for our fourth DT.  He played well against us

You know what, here's the thing, he went from ST to barely contributor like 2 sacks his second year to 44 tackles and 4 sacks last year, he's doubled everything since he joined us.... I feel maybe he's due for a breakout season. I dont know if its this year but he's been slowly progressing upward, maybe his prime is further down the road..

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

It is truly scary that our DL is still our best position group even minus Ioan and Young. 

I just can't decide if its because its so good or we're so bad in other spots. Probably a little of both.

I think most skins fans will agree we're looking forward to seeing Settle get some serious playing time.. We've seen the potential but he wasn't getting reps with the big 3 in front of him.. I will miss the hell outta Matty I but I'm looking just as forward to what Tim will bring to the table. Lets not forget the kid is in his 3rd year in the league and just turned 23.. That's insane, that's the age most rookies come INTO the league, yet he has 2 years in the league under his belt already at that age..

Edited by Playaction2Sanders

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

Tim Settle quietly getting better each year and having a solid season with limited reps.

I believe he has a PFF of 72.4 through week 3.  It makes the Matt L loss a bit easier to swallow.

Settle is a beast, he isn't the pass rusher Ioannidis is but he's good enough there and a great run stopper. Hopefully he comes out fired up for us against Baltimore. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

*Thread updated* 

Montez Sweat, Jonathan Allen, and Payne all had great games and held up in run defense for most of the game. This might have been Sweats best game so far, he nearly had 2 sacks, and created quite a few pressures (3 or 4 at least) 

The Browns offensive line was the best we've faced so far this season and overall our DL did very good against them. Would have been nice to have all of our guys in there rotating because we probably would have gotten another sack or two against them but injuries happen and it is what it is. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

Loved Sweat in this game. Totally bullied his man, who by all accounts was having a great season so far. If he can have his way there, he can replicate that each and every Sunday no matter the opposition. I really felt that he was the best of the 22 players on the field whenever he was present. 

From a production standpoint early returns from this line have been great. They are walking the walk, even with injuries. I love that they are making plays against the pass and the run. I now feel very comfortable saying we can build a team around this line.

We have a heart now, and it comes with a pulse. Somebody call Dr Frankenstein this offseason, we got ourselves a monster to make. (Zombie Pun)

• Like 1

Our run defense isn't as good as it should be, and the front got dominated by Cleveland's powerful line in that part of the game.  Some of that is on the back seven.  But the whole defense was having trouble fitting and it was pretty basic outside zone they were struggling with.  I thought Ioannidis and Kerrigan struggled and DaRon gave up more ground than he should have on some plays where he was just seeking the path of least resistance and that created bubbles.

Our line gives up size for speed on the interior, and the byproduct of that is they did get moved and swarmed by Cleveland's line.  Cleveland's line is powerful, those guys are going to end up being good if they can find some rhythm and get Baker comfortable.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Our run defense isn't as good as it should be, and the front got dominated by Cleveland's powerful line in that part of the game.

That was my real frustration with that part of the game and in post game its what's frustrating me about what's not being discussed. We started off by dominating Chubb but then in the 4th he just took over the game and sealed it for Cleveland. If we hold them to a FG and its 27-20 and we suddenly may have a different game. Not saying too much changes because we then had the fumble and the bad TOs by Ron but being down 7 (one score) vs being down 11 (two scores) is a big deal 

The LBs are the main issue for sure but I also think our DL is more built as pass rushers than run stuffers. Settle is more of a run stopper and Young is great all around but the rest are stronger pass rushers and a little bit weaker run stoppers.

But the Browns also have a very good OL and two outstanding RBs. Sometimes the other guys just beat you.

• Like 1